What’s an item you’ve requested in the MDR.

HicksRA

17 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Yes, my Father taught me this many years ago when we cruised the first couple of times with my parents.  My Dad was always ordering deserts, some of his favorites, that weren't on menu but had had them on royal ships before.

We normally cruise with friends from NJ .On our last cruise we were with friends from PA.They ordered every food item for 14 days off menu.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, shofer said:

While on a Celebrity RT LA-Hawaii cruise, one of my cousins asked why they never served corn as a veggie.  Afterwards, we were served corn on the cob every dinner. Also asked for extra bread sticks.  On a family cruise on Grandeur, cousin's hubby requested a hamburger and fries for the last dinner. 

So did I ,in 2018

18 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

We have never had that issue in my time dining.  My DH drinks way too much diet coke and they are very good at keeping his glass filled.  We have even had more than one waiter bring out a pitcher of diet coke so they can refill easily.  If you get a good table and waitstaff in MTD, just stop at the host podium on your way out and ask for that table and waitstaff to be assigned to you each night.  If you don't like who you have but notice another waitstaff team near you that was really good, stop and ask for them the next night.  It is very easy to get the same waitstaff in MTD.

We only had a problem once in all our cruises.  We just asked for a new table the next night.  This was MTD.  I think they go out of their way to give us what we ask for.

• Like 1

Our head waiter from MDR saw me wondering through the Windjammer one morning. I must have had a puzzled look on my face. I was looking for plain Greek yogurt. I love it with honey and blueberries. My go-to breakfast. 

He asks me what I was looking for and I told him.  He told me to sit down and about 10 mins later he comes up to my table with my request. Every morning, no matter where I ate breakfast, the waiter brought me my special breakfast. I felt so special. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Coralc said:

LOL. Not usually.

(regarding the cheese sandwich every night)

These folks may fall for it, but I'VE had lunch with you many times and you ALWAYS order the same sandwich.  You can't fool me.........................................  😄

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, LynnForestgate said:

All this lovely description of food dishes and warm breads are making me hungry 🙂

Can I ask, if at the end of the cruise, a nice generous tip to the wait staff is given ?

You betcha.  

• Like 2

The risk you take when asking for something extra/different is that you will get it every night without asking lol.

This wasn't something we asked for but on Oasis a few years ago, the strip steak on the everyday menu was inedible.  It was stringy, full of fat and gristle and tough/rubbery.   And, before anyone asks, he orders it medium rare so not overcooked.  DH mentioned it and the headwaiter came to our table, apologized and the next night gave everyone at our table a Chops steak.  He also told DH he could have one every night if he wanted.  He did have it at least one more time.

The waitstaff really does try to please.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, BND said:

The risk you take when asking for something extra/different is that you will get it every night without asking lol.

This wasn't something we asked for but on Oasis a few years ago, the strip steak on the everyday menu was inedible.  It was stringy, full of fat and gristle and tough/rubbery.   And, before anyone asks, he orders it medium rare so not overcooked.  DH mentioned it and the headwaiter came to our table, apologized and the next night gave everyone at our table a Chops steak.  He also told DH he could have one every night if he wanted.  He did have it at least one more time.

We had the same thing happen on Enchantment last January. We got a tough stringy steak and sent it back. That night the Restaurant Officer came in the Diamond Lounge and was asking about our meals and the wife mentioned that we’d got a bad steak and had to send it back. We didn’t complain or make a big deal of it. 
The following night we were both brought Chops filets. 

• Like 1

I always ask for chips (fries) with mu main, and ice cream with desert, other than that never asked for anything, but they quick smart pick up on what you like. One example is the standard size glass of Diet Coke I drain in one go, so mostly they get a larger cup from, usually, the pool bar and keep it for me. One night I mentioned how yummy one ice cream was (Macadamia) so each night thereafter my ice cream was the macadamia, even though it was only on the menu one night.

we also did a cruise and about a year later walked into the MDR first night and our waiter arrived with a large Diet Coke, plenty of ice no straw, he remembered us from the cruise a year earlier on a different ship.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, BND said:

That's kinda the problem with those "special requests." I don't want to eat Indian food, steak etc. every single night. That's why we prefer the jammer. Sometimes for dinner it's just soup and salad for me. (Well that is after hitting the appetizers in the suite lounge before dinner!)

• Like 1

I wouldn't dream of ordering something off menu in the MDR. I have always thought of it as a canteen with tablecloths. The guys working there are all massively over-worked during dinner time, I would hate to burden them with my frivolities.

I don't think twice about making sure my dinner is right in a paid for restaurant, though. DW has sent a steak back more than once in Chops. "When she says, rare, she means rare!" LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/27/2021 at 8:06 PM, ONECRUISER said:

Years ago had Head Waiter make sure my Steaks came from CHOPS, not the Standard cut offerings on everyday MD Menu...

I see you said in an earlier post you didn't pay extra for this request, but others probably would have had to pay extra.  What did you do to get the CHOPS steak without extra charge?

Edited by TiiiSailor
Modify question.

21 hours ago, BND said:

I have totally given up on the included steak in the MDR.   Im not even sure its Select grade lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

That's kinda the problem with those "special requests." I don't want to eat Indian food, steak etc. every single night. That's why we prefer the jammer. Sometimes for dinner it's just soup and salad for me. (Well that is after hitting the appetizers in the suite lounge before dinner!)

I don't know about other ships, but the WJ was not available for dinner on the Oasis Sept. 5 sail.