John Padgett named President of Princess Cruises

PescadoAmarillo

Promoting screw-ups is the American corporate way.  It happens everywhere. I worked for Kaiser Permanente for 23 years and saw it time after time. They became the favorite child and had continued protection for every mess they made. This “news” does not surprise me at all.

Where’s Thrak?  I can’t for his  reaction to the big news. 😉

Separating the Medallion from the whole Medallion app debacle, I’m still trying to convince myself that I just lack an appreciation for its many touted benefits.  Frankly, what I really want are things like the ability to order a cup of free crap coffee along with my pastry at the International Cafe without having to stop at the World Fresh Marketplace before or after. That would be so much simpler to provide. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, SLC1954 said:

Promoting screw-ups is the American corporate way.  It happens everywhere. I worked for Kaiser Permanente for 23 years and saw it time after time. They became the favorite child and had continued protection for every mess they made. This “news” does not surprise me at all.

Sometimes this has been done so they can hang the failure on someone else and try to come out clean on the other side.  Jan, is that what is happening??? 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

Sometimes this has been done so they can hang the failure on someone else and try to come out clean on the other side.  Jan, is that what is happening??? 

From Googling around, I determined this to be a Corporate move ... and Jan made the announcement to Princess peeps ... but I don't believe this decision was hers.

58 minutes ago, BabySarge said:

Another fine example of someone being promoted to their level of incompetence!!!!!

I thought he was already there.

ETA:  In fairness, he has done some good for Princess and CCL in the innovation area with TV's and such, including the Medallion concept.  It's just that the MC App project during Covid was a design and execution disaster they are still trying to recover from.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 1

I second every single comment that has been made!!!  I have said many of them myself.  Started reading the announcement, saw what he was in charge of and first comment - you’ve got to be kidding!!  Then read all the comments and laughed and loved and agreed with every single on.  

I was never a fan of Medallion - the roll out was humiliatingly pushed back time and time again - never make a big announcement you can’t deliever on.  Then have to offer lame excuses for the reason.   Even after it was finally started on a very few ships, it was still a nightmare.  I think I was on 2 cruises that had it.  

And from the pages and pages of comments on a single topic devoted to the Medallion on CC, it definitely has not improved.  All they did during the Covid pause was add the nightmare to ALL the ships!  I have only used it to 1.  Open my cabin.  2.  Read the daily events.  The ONLY thing I ever wanted it to do was give a sound alert when you got a message from someone in your party.  What good does finding a dot on the ship where someone is that you are looking for - so you send them a message - but they don’t know because there is no sound to hear it and aren’t looking at their phone????  In todays world every message, email, notification alert, phone call, alarms we receive has a sound - and you can even customize that sound!!!!  But not Medallion.

IMO this  Medallion thing as been EPIC fail.

99% of these comments are not flattering.  I am still trying to process this major announcement.  Only time will time.  I wonder if he is being given a beta test like the Medallion Class app?  Headhunters are hired to find the best and the brightest.  DUH....

Good luck to John.  I hope these comments are premature and he will bring substance back to Princess.  Let's start by making sure your loyalty customers are happy passengers.

For the time being, Princess needs to add a little bit of humor.  Maybe this was it?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TNTLAMB said:

So you all think the "App" is medallion Class Cruising?

Putting aside any information you've read here, using ONLY information on the Princess website, I'd say you cannot cruise without the app.

Nowhere on the Princess website does it say you can just show up at the pier if you don't have the app completed.  Based on this, yes, they are two different things, but there isn't any Medallion Class Cruising without the App.  So it is easy to mistakenly consider the two as one.

6 hours ago, gardenbunny said:

I have only used it to 1.  Open my cabin.  2.  Read the daily events.   

What good does finding a dot on the ship where someone is that you are looking for

I admit that it did unlock the cabin door.  But you still needed a free hand to open the door.

The Daily Schedule on the App was TERRIBLE.  Incomplete, inaccurate, unreliable.  I missed various shows because they were not listed on the App.

The "Find Your Spouse" feature was very inaccurate.  The crew had access to a more reliable person finder, but I was tryi9ng to meet my wife and the App had her two floors away from her actual location (and she was carrying her Medallion).

So all I concede is that it did unlock my cabin door.  And it let me check in and out of the ship at ports of call.  That is all!

13 hours ago, gardenbunny said:

What good does finding a dot on the ship where someone is that you are looking for - so you send them a message - but they don’t know because there is no sound to hear it and aren’t looking at their phone????  In todays world every message, email, notification alert, phone call, alarms we receive has a sound - and you can even customize that sound!!!!  But not Medallion.

IMO this  Medallion thing as been EPIC fail.

And I, for one, think that having a sound when a message or notice is received is a bad idea.

Imagine all the sounds during a lecture or a show or a movie or a religious service or during dining as various people receive a message with a sound that disturbs other people.

And the annoyance in a darkened theater as people bright out their lighted digital devices to read the message and respond.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

I admit that it did unlock the cabin door.  But you still needed a free hand to open the door.

The Daily Schedule on the App was TERRIBLE.  Incomplete, inaccurate, unreliable.  I missed various shows because they were not listed on the App.

The "Find Your Spouse" feature was very inaccurate.  The crew had access to a more reliable person finder, but I was tryi9ng to meet my wife and the App had her two floors away from her actual location (and she was carrying her Medallion).

So all I concede is that it did unlock my cabin door.  And it let me check in and out of the ship at ports of call.  That is all!

And if I am not mistaken, all of us were able to open our cabin doors well before there was a Medallion.

• Like 3