World cruise on Serenade

The world cruise looks amazing! Told my husband about it yesterday and we are considering booking. 

I read that many calls were made to HQ yesterday. Anyone know more about this?

Does the fare include visas? 
Besides the included excursions, how much do you think other port stops would cost. We’ve only cruises Alaska and Caribbean/Bahamas/Bermuda. I would think you would need to budget about 20k pp for excursions 

Wonder how much shareholder benefits would you receive, $250 for 60+ days seems low.

As a shareholder I think this World Cruise is a great move.

Then I start thinking about logistics of packing. How many liters of shampoo/conditioner/gel would I need for 9 months? How about prescription meds? 

I love that it makes 2 stops at CocoCay!

So…….anyone booked yet? Would love to discuss this trip - even if it is only to dream about it

Interesting that one of your primary concerns are toiletries. If you're not comfortable using what the ship supplies and/or just buying whatever is available at ports of call then the logistics may be difficult for you on a trip of this magnitude. A trip like this requires a different mindset than what you're  used to on a typical 7 or 14 day cruise.

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 5

9 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Interesting that one of your primary concerns are toiletries. If you're not comfortable using what the ship supplies and/or just buying whatever is available at ports of call then the logistics may be difficult for you on a trip of this magnitude. A trip like this requires a different mindset than what you're  used to on a typical 7 or 14 day cruise.

Well, I’ve never been able to use what ships or hotels provide. Doesn’t work with my hair type, and I’ve gotten bougie over the years and stick to salon quality. Most females will understand.

Also interested in thoughts on excursions. Is 20-25k enough to see all the 

places this itinerary goes?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, SummerBeee said:

Well, I’ve never been able to use what ships or hotels provide. Doesn’t work with my hair type, and I’ve gotten bougie over the years and stick to salon quality. Most females will understand.

Doesn't the spa sell product that is supposedly pretty good.  I had an ex who bought a LOT of stuff there.  Fortunately, her card was the one on record for the room expense account.  Ironically, it was also on the Jewel, which is a sister ship of the Serenade. 

49 minutes ago, SummerBeee said:

Totally understand where you’re coming from, I don’t like the stuff they provide either. My hair never feels right if I use it so I ALWAYS take own.

• Like 1

Just some random thoughts for discussion:

* Mail...thinking we can get a friend or neighbor to help.

* Bills...just about all of it can be paid online.

* IRS/taxes...can be done online but have never done it this way.

* Pets

* Indoor plants

* House and garden...can you really leave them alone for that long?...I suppose a relative or friend can house sit.

* Prescriptions...I can ask my doctor to authorize a year's worth of prescriptions in advance.

* Medical lab test...could be done onboard.

* Dentist

* Lastly...and it's a scary thought...what if there's a death in the family and you have to get home?

• Like 4

If I was retired I would so book this cruise. A world cruise is definitely on my list after retirement. 

@SummerBeee  @kwokpotFor toiletries, keep in mind you will be making stops in domesticated cities/countries so you can always restock. I would purchase the largest size of everything, maybe two and then restock as necessary.

Another suggestion is a Care Package/box. I'm thinking toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner, face wash, lotion, body wash, feminine items, laundry detergent, fabric softener, razors, etc. I would make a Sam's run and box it all up and check it in at the dock. I would store it under the bed.

@kwokpotDefinitely a different mindset required for a world cruise. I would plan it as if I'm moving away for a year. It's more about I'll be LIVING somewhere different for the year. Think about the community and relationships you would build. Wow!  You would definitely have to sit down and go thru the logistics of a trip like this. 

• Like 3

@SummerBeee

The free/included Business class airfare, pre-cruise hotel stay, black car transfers from airport to hotel and hotel to ship, mean that you can take as much stuff as you want.  Buy two giant containers (or whatever you need) of all of your required toiletries.  Take as much as you need to be comfortable for nine months.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SummerBeee said:

Also interested in thoughts on excursions. Is 20-25k enough to see all the 

places this itinerary goes?

Day ports possibly have shops you can pick anything you might consider using.

52 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

@SummerBeee

The free/included Business class airfare, pre-cruise hotel stay, black car transfers from airport to hotel and hotel to ship, mean that you can take as much stuff as you want.  Buy two giant containers (or whatever you need) of all of your required toiletries.  Take as much as you need to be comfortable for nine months.

Agree. Though this is lot longer I normally do longer Cruises B2B's of 40+ nites, always want take lot extra of items cant do without. Couple times just smallest item when needed can be really hard to find in other Countries

1 hour ago, bonsai3s said:

Just some random thoughts for discussion:

* Mail...thinking we can get a friend or neighbor to help.

* Bills...just about all of it can be paid online.

* IRS/taxes...can be done online but have never done it this way.

* Pets

* Indoor plants

* House and garden...can you really leave them alone for that long?...I suppose a relative or friend can house sit.

* Prescriptions...I can ask my doctor to authorize a year's worth of prescriptions in advance.

* Medical lab test...could be done onboard.

* Dentist

* Lastly...and it's a scary thought...what if there's a death in the family and you have to get home?

These are all things that have run through my mind.
No pets and we can find homes for the few plants.

We have 2 homes. One is a condo and easy to leave. If our daughter would have employment in the area of our single family home she could take care of that.

All of our bills are on auto and we receive very little mail, except packages.

Hey, that’s a bonus - less online shopping.

I think I could get prescriptions for the 9 months.

Death in family is something I’ve thought of. Both of our living parents are in mid to late 70’s. Not likely they would pass but that’s always a possibility.

Do they even sell travel insurance for this length of trip?

@Merion_Momwe are only a 4 hour drive to Miami from FL condo. We are new to  FL condo life and I went a bit crazy booking cruises. Have 30 on the books, 5 this year. I think I’m up to 147 days on ships for 2022.

7 minutes ago, EmmasNana said:

It would be interesting to see how much OBC a TA might provide. That would likely help with a couple excursions.

Are TA's able to book this cruise ?  I thought it was only direct through Royal at this point.

It is a GREAT Itinerary!!!  4 Segments; 2 that are outstanding!!  Dream cruise!! But they do not have pricing for Segments that I can find.  

Anyone find Segment Pricing?  We were looking for 2024 or 2025 world cruise as a 6 month vacation, semi-retirement for my husband, BUT THIS CRUISE IS FABULOUS!!

$100,000.00 for a Balcony, that is about the same price as some Luxury lines on much smaller ships for 100 + days less... Something to consider.

Buy 1 or 2 Segments , Middle East Treasures (44 Destinations) and Wonders of the Orient ( 40 Destinations) look Amazing!!!

If anyone finds out Segment prices please post!!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gen X Life said:

It is a GREAT Itinerary!!!  4 Segments; 2 that are outstanding!!  Dream cruise!! But they do not have pricing for Segments that I can find.  

Anyone find Segment Pricing?  We were looking for 2024 or 2025 world cruise as a 6 month vacation, semi-retirement for my husband, BUT THIS CRUISE IS FABULOUS!!

$100,000.00 for a Balcony, that is about the same price as some Luxury lines on much smaller ships for 100 + days less... Something to consider.

Buy 1 or 2 Segments , Middle East Treasures (44 Destinations) and Wonders of the Orient ( 40 Destinations) look Amazing!!!

If anyone finds out Segment prices please post!!!

Segment pricing (and booking) will not be available until December

Inside starts $60K+, but did not really ask too much about, do not know perks for inside.

$83,000 - $88,000 for a Std or Large Balcony ... Deposit is $9000.00 per person and non-refundable.

If you are platinum within 180 days out of sailing date you get great perks for Balcony: free excursions (don't know how many) , Laundry quota - wish they had laundry like Princess, Gratuity paid... AIRFARE!!

That is a HUGE BONUS.. 

Also, the Ship is being Renovated for the Cruise!!

They have 9 , 1- D Balcony cabins left, they will be sold out by next week,

I doubt they will SELL Segments,  maybe inside cabins.

But best part is>>>.  Due to response and deposits; THEY WILL PROBABLY DO IT AGAIN !!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Sunset Glow said:

My biggest concern with this is that Royal does not have self-serve laundry facilities. I know you can pay for them to do your laundry but it is costly and every time I've used it before I was not satisfied with the results - I prefer to do my own. 

Laundry service is included in the cruise fare for this cruise.

I'd be worried thieves would walk off with everything in my house. I worry about leaving for 2 weeks. Wonder how people can arrange to leave their lives for 9 months.

Is internet included? I would want to keep up with usa news. Things like my stock holdings, whatever. I cant imagine being gone so long. ...would love to. 

5 minutes ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

Laundry service is included in the cruise fare for this cruise.

Wash N Fold is included. Everything washed together in hot water and dried in a hot dryer. Previous experiences with Wash N Fold make it OK for cotton underwear and socks but I wouldn't use it for my clothes.  

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I'd be worried thieves would walk off with everything in my house. I worry about leaving for 2 weeks. Wonder how people can arrange to leave their lives for 9 months.

Is internet included? I would want to keep up with usa news. Things like my stock holdings, whatever. I cant imagine being gone so long. ...would love to. 

Get a house sitter, property manager or move to a better neighborhood if you are so worried about thieves... LOL!

Get a mail opening service or have your mail forwarded to your accountant or child with a limited power of attorney.  

VPN for all over the world internet - Bill pay online ( Give child access), Zoom meetings.

Put X amount of $$ in a new bank account with child/your names on for emergency fund.

People live and work from all over the world and tele-commute in todays world.

Edited by Gen X Life
  • Like 1

I'd be concerned about laundry too.  

I want to go but not yet.  I need a few months of retirement to plan all the logistics.

I read the world cruise boards. Some helpful info out there from those who have done it. 

Wonder if one of my kids will adopt my dog for that long?