Can I make a 10 AM flight?

binro01

Can I get off the ship that docks in Port Everglades, can I make a flight from the Ft Lauderdale airport at 10AM easily?

I know the port is near by the airport. I just don’t know how crazy finding a taxi on Saturday will be and how long it takes to get off an Oasis class ship. We arrive in port for debarking on Saturday March 5th. 

Any experienced cruisers in the know? 

it’s either that or wait for a flight the following day and pay about 200 bucks for a hotel, which is not bad but would like a recuperation day at home before work vs a travel day. Lol 

Sounds like its a little too close for comfort. There is a flight back home at 1:45PM, but instead of a direct flight, there is a flight that routes through JFK with a long layover that does not get us landed till 11PM Mountain time. (Which will be 1AM East coast time, and I will have a 1 hour drive home from the airport.) NOT ideal. Looks like I will sleep over in Ft Lauderdale.

We have made a flight earlier to that in the past but don't think I would book an early flight with the state of the airports lately.  There are a ton of taxis waiting as you get off the ship and it is a ten minute ride to the port but security at the airport can be crazy.

• Like 2

We had a 9:30 flight from FLL booked once. I was a little nervous about making it. We did self assist debarkation and were through security at the airport (we have TSA precheck) at 7:20. So yes, it's doable. Our experience was pre-Covid. I'm not sure I'd book one that early now considering the delays that can occur because of Covid.

Yes possible long as you walk out with Suitcases, though rare multiple times experienced Walk Offs not started until 7:30 -7:45. Also time of year Flying(Holidays), twice I found line at FLL was out the door when I Cruised week before Xmas and week of Thanksgiving was at the Door

Thanks for all your responses. I just booked a hotel in Ft Lauderdale for my fly out on Sunday Morning at 10:00 AM. I can relax getting off the ship at my pace in my bathing suit, head to the hotel, drop my stuff off then head out to the beach. Grab some dinner, and have a nice night with the wife before heading back. We will then fly home the next day, land at around 1:30PM Mountain time, and drive home with plenty of time to just chill.

• Like 9

40 minutes ago, binro01 said:

Thanks for all your responses. I just booked a hotel in Ft Lauderdale for my fly out on Sunday Morning at 10:00 AM. I can relax getting off the ship at my pace in my bathing suit, head to the hotel, drop my stuff off then head out to the beach. Grab some dinner, and have a nice night with the wife before heading back. We will then fly home the next day, land at around 1:30PM Mountain time, and drive home with plenty of time to just chill.

A way much better way to end a great cruise than stressing on the last day of the cruise if you'll make your flight or not. 

• Like 3

Good plan to just make things easier and less stressful.

That said, we hve made flights around that time before with no prolbems, but of course you are taking a chance in case anything goes wrong with docking time,  immigration procedures, etc.  Later is better, the next day best of all.

I feel the pain as it is very hard to find decent flights to our home airport that aren't either very early or quite late in the day.

Yes, it but s possible blue but I don’t recommend it.  If everything goes as planned, you will be fine but hiccups are almost bound to happen.  We have been travel8n* all over the US since May and finding an Uber or taxi has been hit or miss.  Recently we had to wait almost 2 hours for an Uber in Vegas.  On the flip side, we waited 5 minutes a few days later.  Airport lines are another unknown.  I have worked at an airport for over 20 years and can tell you the times vary.  Would your ticket allow for standby?  Maybe book the later flight and if you get to the airport early, you can standby for the early flight.  Good luck!

8 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Yes possible long as you walk out with Suitcases, though rare multiple times experienced Walk Offs not started until 7:30 -7:45. Also time of year Flying(Holidays), twice I found line at FLL was out the door when I Cruised week before Xmas and week of Thanksgiving was at the Door

I’ve never had an Oasis class ship start disembarking that late from Ft. Lauderdale or PC. 
ONE time it started as late as 7:00.

It’s worth the risk. 
Worse case they can take the other flight.  

1 hour ago, scorpluvsdolphins said:

I’ve never had an Oasis class ship start disembarking that late from Ft. Lauderdale or PC. 
ONE time it started as late as 7:00.

It’s worth the risk. 
Worse case they can take the other flight.  

OP said this is only Flight of day. Me, had a 1:55pm Flight, many others on week I'm talking about had to also wait another Day. As Planes are now running 100% myself I'd never take chance before Noon. Besides like use Luggage Valet rather then carry own Bags

11 hours ago, binro01 said:

Can I get off the ship that docks in Port Everglades, can I make a flight from the Ft Lauderdale airport at 10AM easily?

I know the port is near by the airport. I just don’t know how crazy finding a taxi on Saturday will be and how long it takes to get off an Oasis class ship. We arrive in port for debarking on Saturday March 5th. 

Any experienced cruisers in the know? 

it’s either that or wait for a flight the following day and pay about 200 bucks for a hotel, which is not bad but would like a recuperation day at home before work vs a travel day. Lol 

No problem. You need to carry your bags off the ship yourself. 

I was on the Oasis September 2015 . We had a jumper on the last day of the cruise .

Ship sailed around for hours looking for him and we arrived late to Fort Lauderdale . 

We did self assist to get off the ship early but to no avail. 

There were thousands of people in the promenade lined up to get off early. 

There were many nervous passengers that morning .

I was ok as i had a noon flight .

You never know 🙁

I'd say no problem and you don't necessarily even need to be the first off the ship.  You even have a little buffer for some minor delays.  Under normal circumstances, you can get off the ship, find luggage, and get through customs in 30 minutes.  Another 30 minutes (or even less) to get a taxi and get to the airport.  So long as you start disembarking around 7:00, you should be at the airport 2 hours before your flight.  We've been in one of the earlier groups and have been sitting at the gate by 8:40. 

That said, if anything goes wrong that sets you back an hour, you'll be pushing your luck.  If you have a reasonable option later in the day, it's certainly less stressful.