The Daily for Saturday November 06, 2021

richwmn

Today is National Wine Tasting Day, National Bison Day, and Saxophone Day

They say marriages are made in Heaven. But so is thunder and lightning. - Clint Eastwood

Meal suggestion for today - Sausage & Grits Lasagna

Drink of the Day - Godmother

Wine of the day - Château Bouscaut 2017 Pessac-Léognan Bordeaux

Destination of the Day - Sharm el Sheikh Egypt

Ships with Passengers

At Sea Atlantic
Eurodam Destination Ponta Delgada Azores
Rotterdam Half Moon Cay

Port Everglades
Nieuw Amsterdam Florida 07:00 - 16:00

Santa Catalina Island CA, Avalon, California
Koningsdam 07:00 - 18:00

Ships without Passengers

At Sea Pacific
Noordam Destination Panama Canal eta 11/12

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

Great Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

Long Beach CA US
Zuiderdam Anchorage

Puerto Vallarta MX
Westerdam

Scheveningen NL
Oosterdam Anchorage

1106Europe.thumb.png.b195081de9315c6f522cf130efcdf0f7.png

1106NAmerica.thumb.png.91525233b754bed1a024d236302d990d.png

• Like 26
  • Thanks 11

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

Interesting days - you had me at wine tasting! 😊

Amusing quote.

I'll pass on the dinner suggestion.

Hope the drink of the day is tasty.  I think I'll like the wine, hope it isn't too expensive.

Another part of the world I have not visited, looking forward to seeing pictures.

Prayers for everyone.

Have a wonderful Saturday.  Stay safe.

• Like 22

Thank you for the Saturday Daily, Rich.  Wine tasting will be popular here.  Saxaphones are best in an orchestra and Bisons are magnificent.  So true on the Eastwood quote.  I'm not familiar with today's port.  The lasagna sounds nice.  My alternative is Chilled Blueberry Soup, Sauteed Veal Tenderloin, and Strawberry Crisp as served on MS Prinsendam October 6, 2017 (that day I was on yesterday's port of the day):

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2017/11/dishes06.jpg

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
kakalina with spreading lung cancer going into hospice

irishjim DW awaiting arm surgery
StLouisCruisers sore from fall
From the rotation:
cat shepard’s friend recovering from aggressive chemo
StLouisSal not hearing from friend with liver transplant
cunnorl DH sister recovering from stroke
NextOne  DDIL with long haul Covid

Celebrations and Shoutouts

Great toots from Rotterdam
4 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
AnceintWanderer on babysitting duty
SusieKIslandGirl onEurodam
horizonchaser1947 settled in Mexico
Sharon’s mom with great post radiation outcome
1Angelcat clear biopsy
Long cruise booked for Quartzite Cruiser
2 days for Lady Hudson (Anthem OTS)
3 days for Norseh20 (Italy to US)
57redbird covid negative and surgery scheduled for November 29
Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 30
  • Thanks 9

Thank you for today's daily Rich and Roy for the various lists.

Wine tasting 🍷 is a nice experience.

Unusual quote from Clint Eastwood.

Nice food but not sure of the drink.

Looking forward to seeing photos from today's port.

Prayers 🙏 always for everyone on the care list.

Graham 

Screenshot_20211106_121835.jpg

Screenshot_20211106_121802.jpg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 5

Good Saturday Morning.  The Rotterdam is on its first sailing from a US port, Ft Lauderdale.  Wonder where the Noordam is going as it heads for the Panama Canal at 14 knots?

I'm off to lead our walking group along St Petersburg's downtown waterfront as we do on the first Saturday of every month.

The Noordam and yours truly enjoying the promenade walk around deck at sea.

IMG_0583.JPG

IMG_0629.JPG

• Like 30

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our Saturday smile 🙂 

Great collection of days!  Bison are magnificent and a good saxophone is a pleasure to hear.  I know many will join me in celebrating National Wine Tasting Day - just don’t taste too much, folks 😉 

0A413329-C1EB-4CE2-B020-6DEC639E41B3.jpeg.7aed5b1dde2850658aef1a59a6d65af1.jpeg

LOL on the Eastwood quote.  Meal suggestion sounds good sans grits 😉 

Nice to see another sail a way in Port Everglades today.  It’s another frosty one this morning.  Someone should tell the weatherman to get it right.  

B579531E-8B62-45DA-B000-7BD433DDB019.jpeg.3a4b31d3e3f00d584feaaaa0f6d780c9.jpeg

Well clocks go back tonight - ugh.  I know most people like the extra hour of sleep but I will be struggling with dogs whose tummy clocks don’t change.  They expect to eat at their regular time not one hour later 😔 

3D25CC53-2D93-4C3E-8414-61D2AE6AE9DB.jpeg.13859fb77865198bf936baa31955c978.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Saturday everyone!!!!!

39DC6817-D2BF-453D-95A8-44FB6995869F.jpeg.944e135a14229bd516f1c8144389c820.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 17

Good morning everyone and thanks for the daily report Rich.  Many here will be happy with wine tasting day.  Bisons are magnificent as are saxophones. Funny quote by Clint Eastwood.  Meal suggestion doesn’t grab me today.  Haven’t been to today’s port and look forward to the photos it was nice to watch the Rotterdam sail out of Port Everglades last evening.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list and cheers to everyone celebrating a happy event today.

• Like 22

12 minutes ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

Good Saturday Morning.  The Rotterdam is on its first sailing from a US port, Ft Lauderdale.  Wonder where the Noordam is going as it heads for the Panama Canal at 14 knots?

I'm off to lead our walking group along St Petersburg's downtown waterfront as we do on the first Saturday of every month.

The Noordam and yours truly enjoying the promenade walk around deck at sea.

IMG_0583.JPG

IMG_0629.JPG

According to the PEV cruise schedule, she’s coming to visit on November 22 for the day 🎉

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

Good Morning everyone! Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, and thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebrations Report. And thank you everyone for caring and sharing! Happy Weekend everyone!

I wonder if the quote was from the "Rowdy Yates" days?

The meal suggestion sounds good to me. Without knowing what the recipe calls for, I can already think of variations including cheese and perhaps shrimp.

Jacqui's cartoon with the dog is very true! Juno in her later years could not adjust. I'm curious what Sam will do as he is fed at around 7 in the morning and 4 in the afternoon. In the morning he is very tolerant but in the afternoon starts begging around 2:30.

- Jack

• Like 22

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! I know you will be stunned to hear how excited I am to read it is wine tasting day! I will toast bisons and saxophones this evening.  One of my vivid memories from Yellowstone is the herds of bison that roam there. 

Thank you for our lists, Roy. Morning Dailyite family. This is the first day of Fall that I needed to put on socks. 48 here! Bindi and I made it out this morning in a light drizzle - until the wind gusts made it feel as if we were being pelted by sleet.  I actually used my rain pants yesterday and Bindi got a lot of drying off!  

Today is baking day & change smoke detector battery days. This will be the first time trying a step ladder since my knee injury. Hope it works out, because I have a lot of batteries to change. 

Tomorrow we are saying farewell to neighbors who are moving across the state, so we are gathering in the cul de sac for a big farewell tomorrow. Lots to get ready. I will pass on the meal. Not a grits fan. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone! 

Château Bouscaut 2017 Pessac-Léognan Bordeaux

Don’t be fooled by the name - we have a white wine blend from Bordeaux!  All released vintages share excellent ratings, so find one at a price you like. Online prices range from $25.99 to $36.79. It sounds lovely and one for my list. 

About the domain

Located near the small town Cadaujac, the vineyard of Bouscaut exists since the 16th century. First called Haut Truchon, it is renamed in 1929, Château Le Bouscaut after the name of the village. That same year, the neighboring property, the Château Valoux, is attached to it. Throughout the 20th century, its successive owners have improved the chateau and the vines. In the 1930s, the vineyard is qualified as a property to follow by the Chamber of Agriculture! At the same time, a tower and new cellars are added to the main property. Loved by famous people like Louis Jouvet, Maurice Chevalier and Gilbert Bécaud, Chateau Le Bouscaut is classified Graves Cru Classé for its white and red wines in 1953 (it is one of the six double-classified chateaux). Early 1960, a fire completely destroyed the chateau. Fortunately, the cellars aren't touched by the flames. The owner, Victor Place, rebuilt it identically and then sold the property in 1968 to a group of American investors. Placing at the head of the chateau, managers of Haut-Brion who will carry out numerous renovations in the chateau and vineyard. Finally, Bouscaut was acquired in 1979 by Lucien Lurton. A well-known winemaker from Bordeaux, he already owns a dozen other chateaux including Brane-Cantenac and Climens. Since 1992, Sophie Lurton, daughter of Lucien, and her husband Laurent Cogombles, manage the chateau. Numerous improvements have been made in the cellars (concrete tanks in 2002, new barrel cellars) and in the vineyard, which represents today 47 hectares (replanting vines, purchasing the neighboring Lamothe-Bouscaut property in 1999, buildings renovations).

About the cuvée

The 6 hectares given over to white wine have been planted with vines aged around 35 years on average, and are hand harvested with the utmost care to preserve the fruit. With a majority of Sauvignon Blanc (60%) completed with Semillon, this wine expresses citrus and flower aromas. In the mouth, it presents a nice body and roundness thanks to the Semillon. The Sauvignon brings a very nice acidity. This white wine can be aged between 5 to 15 years depending on the vintages.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 5

8 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Château Bouscaut 2017 Pessac-Léognan Bordeaux

Don’t be fooled by the name - we have a white wine blend from Bordeaux!  All released vintages share excellent ratings, so find one at a price you like. 

Well, I was fooled by the name 🙂. A white bordeaux - how wonderful.  Definitely writing this one down 👍. thanks cat!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

According to the PEV cruise schedule, she’s coming to visit on November 22 for the day 🎉

I wonder what's up with that since her first scheduled cruise is out of Vancouver.

Roy

• Like 11

Good morning  fellow Dailyites.I will pass on the menu item but will celebrate  the saxophone. DH and I were talking the other day  and listing the best concerts we had ever been to.High on the list was "the big man" Clarence  Clemmons way back in the eighties at a Springsteen  concert.We were way up in the rafters but his saxophone  was incredible,even in a big arena.Sigh.

@Quartzsite Cruiser I will admit to a touch of envy but mostly I am very excited for your month long cruise.Start packing!

I am sorry to report that our Tana was hospitalized  last night.We have her son and dog in the guest room and we are all hoping it will be a short stay.Her respiratory  difficulties  increased with the onset of cooler weather

and she began spiking fevers again.

Terry

• Like 11
  • Thanks 15

Good morning, everyone!

It sure was nice to watch the Rotterdam sail away from Ft. Lauderdale last night.   I was thrilled to check out my cabin for next summer!

It is a cold start today.  But, it is supposed to be a beautiful day later on.  I just hope it warms up quickly!

I kind of had to go on a hunt to find recipes for today's meal.  The sites that had one were pay sites or came came up empty!   But, perseverance pays off.  

I wonder how it would work if one substituted hash browns for the grits?   Maybe worth a try.  The sausage and grits lasagna is referred to as a breakfast lasagna, so that is what gave me the idea. 

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/sausage-grits-lasagna-recipe-1942924

sausage-grits-lasagna-1560177427.thumb.jpg.d69641eb84b4ecfe9735d619e3c04a7f.jpg

This next one goes all out on the Southern aspect of the dish by using sausage gravy and collard greens in the dish.   https://www.thespiffycookie.com/2016/05/18/southern-breakfast-lasagna/

Southern-Breakfast-Lasagna-3-683x1024.thumb.jpg.79c9c0960c3223bcbf784bd4fd54fa19.jpg

If you want to skip the layering since it all gets mixed up anyways, here's a recipe for  you:  https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/46968/southern-grits-casserole/

412601338_southerngritscasserole2.jpg.3a674446702037264b616bd020d19e28.jpg

Have a great day everyone.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 7

Good morning, all!

Rowdy Yates. 😍  Oh, I had such a serious crush on him when I was little.  I couldn't wait for the weekly Rawhide show.  

I'm not much for grits unless it's a good shrimp and grits (I don't like it with green peppers) or the cheese grits that Carnival offers during their Sea Day Brunch.

I did my wine "tasting" last night.  Remember:  Friday is wine and chocolate; Saturday is beer and popcorn. 😁

The saxophone is not my favorite instrument.  I don't much care for any of the reed instruments.  I especially don't like the alto screeching away (unless it was Junior Walker playing - he was fabulous).  Tenor is much preferred.  And I actually really like a baritone sax in pop/R&R.

Have not been to today's port, nor that part of the world in general.

I dislike the time change.  Really wish we'd just stay on one year round.

• Like 21

Good morning. Thanks for the daily and the care lists.

It's a cool, windy morning here - not pool wather at all. However, it makes for a perfect day for wine tasting.Bison are magnificent creatures. Folks don't realize just how big (and dangerous) a bull bison can be. Saxophone is one of my favorite instruments. We recently added a sax to our band- what a difference it makes!

The dinner suggestion had my puzzled at first. I love lasagna, sausage and grits. But putting all together? I coldn't see how that was going to work The photos and recipies all look quite good and I realized that these are really layered casserols. They are not, in any way, lasagna. Still, they look good.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 21

Good morning.  Will have our wine tasting tonight.  Found a new wine, Stella Rosa Peach.  So yummy.  Saw the bison in Colorado, they were as big as the car.  And our DD played the sax in her high school band. The Eastwood quote made me laugh.  Love the meal, will save it for another time.  It is cold here, soup for dinner tonight.

Prayers and toasts our lists.  Hopefully Tana will be home soon.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Godmother:

Ingredients
1 1/2 ounces vodka
1/2 ounce amaretto
Steps to Make It
Gather the ingredients.
Build the ingredients in an old-fashioned glass filled with ice cubes.
Stir well.

Screen Shot 2021-11-06 at 8.57.15 AM.png

• Like 17
  • Thanks 5

39 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

I am sorry to report that our Tana was hospitalized  last night.We have her son and dog in the guest room and we are all hoping it will be a short stay.Her respiratory  difficulties  increased with the onset of cooler weather

and she began spiking fevers again.

Terry

Terry

I am so sorry to hear this. Prayers for all of you. Bless you for stepping in as needed!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, dfish said:

I wonder how it would work if one substituted hash browns for the grits?   Maybe worth a try.  The sausage and grits lasagna is referred to as a breakfast lasagna, so that is what gave me the idea. 

Great idea, Debbie!

• Like 11

Good morning friends!  Pretty cold here this morning so we drove to the gym, did our weight machines then both used gym treadmills to get our miles in.  Saves time because at home we have to take turns on our machine.  

An interesting group of days to celebrate.  Bison are mighty creatures.  I know little about saxophones but toast them anyway.  I celebrate wine tasting whenever possible.  Love the quote from Clint Eastwood.  I think I'll pass on the dish of the day.  Thanks to @richwmnfor our Daily report.  I to enjoyed seeing the Rotterdam leaving PE last night.  I loved the toots and was wishing for more but alas.  @rafinmdthanks for keeping the lists for us all.  Prayers for those who need them, cheers for all celebrating.  @smitty34877I'm sorry to hear Tana is suffering again and will put her on my prayer list.  Bless you for jumping in to help immediately as you always do.  @cat shepardI have a neighbor who has a lovely black and white sheep herding dog who is very well behaved, and I have seen him walking her in the rain.  He uses an umbrella for himself but the dog gets a raincoat to wear!  Must save a lot of drying off when Athena arrives home.  🌧️

Someday I may get to today's port, Sharm el Sheikh.  I was supposed to be there in 2020, then again last week on Oct. 29.  Now it's set again for 2022.  I would love to see photos from all who've been there.  Thanks in advance!  Have a great weekend everyone and don't forget to reset those clocks.🙄

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1