Can we make a 10:55 flight out of Orlando?

Indy of the Seas docks at Canaveral at 7 AM.  Can we make it to the airport and catch that 10:55 or is this just cutting it too close?

EDIT: We are TSA-pre and this would be Friday morning.

Edited by BuckeyeMark

It’s almost an hour to MCO without traffic.  I would plan on 60-90 minutes to check luggage  and clear security,  2 hours if you want to be safe.  So that would mean being off the ship and in you transportation by 8am.  If you are confident you can do that, then yes you can make a 10:55 flight.  I would not try it personally, too many variables.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

It could be done but could be a stressful morning.

What day of the week?  Any large sporting events that could delay traffic that morning, any holiday?  Do you have pre check with tsa?  Do self assist off the ship?

All good questions I should have answered in OP.  Now edited.  It'll be Friday morning, we're TSA Pre and we can sure self-assist off the ship.

1 minute ago, BuckeyeMark said:

All good questions I should have answered in OP.  Now edited.  It'll be Friday morning, we're TSA Pre and we can sure self-assist off the ship.

Then you should be ok.  We usually do flights after 11 am and usually have enough time to get breakfast at airport lounge.   

One time it was a school break and the airport was jammed packed and we were so happy we had a noon flight.  That was before we had precheck too.

4 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Then you should be ok.  We usually do flights after 11 am and usually have enough time to get breakfast at airport lounge.   

One time it was a school break and the airport was jammed packed and we were so happy we had a noon flight.  That was before we had precheck too.

Well ... we think we can but should we?  Super relaxing week, chillin' in the Caribbean and then we finish it off with the Most Stressful and Rushed Morning Ever.  Is this a good plan?  Maybe not.  But we're thinking on it ...

17 minutes ago, BuckeyeMark said:

Indy of the Seas docks at Canaveral at 7 AM.  Can we make it to the airport and catch that 10:55 or is this just cutting it too close?

We have made an early flight like yours in the past but the ship arrived at 6am and self assist started just before 7am.  How are you planning on getting to the airport?  We had a private car service waiting for us, so we were on the road immediately.  If you are booking a shared shuttle, you will have to wait until it fills to leave.  If you are checking bags for the flight, make sure you know what the latest time they will accept bags for your flight, just in case you are running late.  

Having said all that, yes, you can make that flight if everything lines up.  

We have a flight booked for noon for our upcoming April 2022 cruise. Private transportation from PC to MCO booked (all 6 of us TSA) and will ask the concierge for help in departing the ship. I think we'll be ok but still fingers crossed. Best of luck OP.

• Like 1

Quite a few variables, but what the heck....if you don't make it,  buy a few short notice 1-way tickets (if seats are available).  If no short notice 1-ways are available till the next day, miss work, grab a hotel/lunch/dinner/breakfast, and have fun touring.  If airlines are booked the following day, repeat as necessary.

Edited by bucfan2

IMO book a later flight.  You have some variables to worry about- Sometimes customs is very slow to clear the ship- or delayed and while the ship might dock at seven, you might not get off for a hour or two- you would also have to carry your own luggage, and that would be bad from  a high deck.  Then you go through customs .  Sometimes a line.  Even if you have a car waiting say at 8:30 , you need to get to the airport- traffic possibilities?  The airport itself is typically crowded and you need to get to your plane- Orlando is a very large airport-  You are supposed to be at the gate in advance of the flight.  

Why create stress after what I am sure would be a truly nice vacation?  Try to book a flight after 12 noon.  Or stay an extra day and enjoy Orlando.

Edited by Cruise a holic
  • Like 1

Much depends on disembarkation time and transportation option.  

We just disembarked a ship at Port Canaveral on Saturday.  The Self Assist could not begin exiting until 8:10 a.m., and then boarded GoPort bus which needed to fill up.  Our original flight was after 1 o’clock, but we were able to  switch to a flight departure of 11:30 a.m. upon arriving at the airport and easily make that.  However, not sure 35 minutes earlier would have been an option in our situation.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BuckeyeMark said:

Well ... we think we can but should we?  Super relaxing week, chillin' in the Caribbean and then we finish it off with the Most Stressful and Rushed Morning Ever.  Is this a good plan?  Maybe not.  But we're thinking on it ...

If you can pick a later flight then I would do that as you said you will be super relaxed after a week of chilling so why rush home.  

If you plan a later flight you can sign up with royal luggage valet and they will do check in of your bags for you then you can go to find something fun to do for a couple of hours instead of worrying about ship arrival time, traffic, etc.

• Like 1

Answer is always the same regardless of which ship or port.  If you book before 12:00 - good luck but if it after 12:00 your success is almost guaranteed.  No need to ask.  Daily the risk can change, and not a single person can answer if on the exact day, your trip, and everything will be perfect, or will something happen that will delay you.  So pick a flight, take a risk or do what is safe

3 hours ago, bucfan2 said:

Quite a few variables, but what the heck....if you don't make it,  buy a few short notice 1-way tickets (if seats are available).  If no short notice 1-ways are available till the next day, miss work, grab a hotel/lunch/dinner/breakfast, and have fun touring.  If airlines are booked the following day, repeat as necessary.

Oh ... we missed our flight!  (Heads to the House of Mouse).

I like the way you think!

I wouldn't do it. Sure it's possible. Sure people have done it before.

You'd want to be one of the first people off of the ship. Hopefully there are no delays due to mechanical, covid, customs, etc. Then the trip to the airport is one of the longest of the major US cruise ports. Then you have the monster airport known as MCO. Having precheck will definitely help.

17 hours ago, BuckeyeMark said:

What time would the next flight be?

22 hours ago, BuckeyeMark said:

Were doing it on a Sunday morning early February, should be less traffic. We do not have TSA Pre-screen.

I wouldn't do it on a Friday. You'll be dealing with rush hour traffic. An accident can shut down the roads and there's pretty much no alternatives. The road you have to take to the airport is a high traffic rush hour road. When we do weekend cruises we don't leave until after 9 to avoid the rush hour mess. 

FWIW I live near the airport and Saturday from the time we started walking with our luggage til I walked in my door was two hours. That included about 20 minutes to get to the off site parking. Which you might be able to cut off without taking the shuttle, but ubers in Orlando have been having a 5-10 minute wait often. Would expect more in Canaveral. 

• Like 1

I live about 25min west of the airport (farther from the port) and as much as I hate chancing stuff, that seems like a 99% success rate for making that flight.  I would feel comfortable with it. Like others have said, be ready to go with all your luggage before the first self assist is called and have your transport booked and waiting for you.  MCO airport is not as bad as people seem to make it out to be, maybe for tourists? Us locals know how to use that airport just fine!

• Like 1

We've decided not to chance it.  Have to get up early, race off the boat, push over small children and old ladies - I kid, I kid - but it would be a big rush.  Why do that?  Instead we'll sleep in a little, enjoy a last breakfast and debark leisurely.  A few extra hours in MCO won't be that bad. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, BuckeyeMark said:

We've decided not to chance it.  Have to get up early, race off the boat, push over small children and old ladies - I kid, I kid - but it would be a big rush.  Why do that?  Instead we'll sleep in a little, enjoy a last breakfast and debark leisurely.  A few extra hours in MCO won't be that bad. 

Think that's a much better way to end a relaxing week. And Orlando can be just awful, even with TSA pre check