The Daily for Monday November 08, 2021

richwmn

Today is Cook Something Bold Day, Parents as Teachers Day, and World Pianist Day

"When we ask for advice, we are usually looking for an accomplice. - Saul Bellow"

Meal suggestion for today - Lamb Chops With Roasted Potatoes and Radishes

Drink of the Day - Hi-fi

Wine of the day - Forstreiter Grüner Veltliner Kremstal Kremser Kogl 2018

Destination of the Day - Manzanillo Mexico

Ships with Passengers

At Sea Atlantic
Eurodam Destination Fort Lauderdale

At Sea Caribbean
Nieuw Amsterdam Destination HMC 00:00 - 24:00

Half Moon Cay, Bahamas
Rotterdam 07:00 - 24:00

Santa Catalina Island CA, Avalon, California
Koningsdam 07:00 - 18:00

Ships without Passengers

At Sea North Sea
Oosterdam

At Sea Pacific
Noordam Destination Panama Canal eta 11/12
Westerdam Destination Los Angeles CA US eta 11/14

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

Great Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

Long Beach CA US
Zuiderdam Anchorage

1108World.thumb.png.90f9197cb7e219d3cd6c13a52a2a1cbc.png

• Like 28
  • Thanks 11

Good morning.  Happy Monday!  Thanks for the Daily Report.

Cook Something Bold Day - I'll have to think about what to make for dinner.🙂  Parents are sometimes the best teachers (of some things).  I enjoy listening to a pianist.

The quote is too true.

No lamb chops in the house, but thanks for the suggestion.

Hope the drink of the day and wine are tasty.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of today's port.

Prayers for everyone.  Stay safe.

• Like 24

Thanks for the daily report Rich.  Good morning everyone on the first Monday of the time change.  While I won’t be cooking anything bold I will be eating something bold. BIL’s new neighbor sent us home with a container of home made dill pickle soup yesterday after learning that I was from 100% Polish ancestry like her.  It smells delicious.  Parents are the most important teachers.  Pianists keep us entertained and inspired.  The quote is often quite true, passive aggression can take many slippery forms.  The dinner sounds very nice.  Haven’t been to today’s port and look forward to all of the photos, loved yesterday’s.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list and cheers to all celebrating a happy event.  

• Like 25

Thank you for the Monday Daily, Rich.  I'll pass on cooking something bold but parents as teachers has been common in the last 2 years and a special salute to world pianists.  So true on Bellow's quote.  I've been to several Mexican ports but not Manzanillo.  I like the meal.  My alternative is Strawberry/Blueberry/Bananna cup with coconut cream, Fillet Mignon, and Diplomat Strawberry Tart as .served on MS Prinsendam November 8, 2017.

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2017/11/dishes08.jpg

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
kakalina with spreading lung cancer going into hospice
irishjim DW awaiting arm surgery
cat shepard’s friend recovering from aggressive chemo
Tana back in the hospital
Seasick sailor’s friend Walker wthdrawing from cancer treatments
From the rotation:
Mamaofami’s friend in hospice
HAL Sailor DH health issues
StLouisSal not hearing from friend with liver transplant
cunnorl DH sister recovering from stroke

Celebrations and Shoutouts

4 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
AnceintWanderer on babysitting duty
SusieKIslandGirl onEurodam
horizonchaser1947 settled in Mexico
Bon voyage Lady Hudson (Anthem OTS)
1 days for Norseh20 (Italy to US)
6 days for dobiemom (NCL Bliss)
57redbird covid negative and surgery scheduled for November 29
Heaters and repair plan for dfish
Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 30
  • Thanks 9

Good morning from a cold house in northeast Ohio.   It actually isn't too bad as the space heaters work well.  I slept well, though.

Today is a busy one with the pool at 9 and then Zoom meetings at 11, 2 and 5.  The rest of the week is a little lighter in work load.

Today's meal had me scrambling.  The first recipe site that came up was a pay site and I have exhausted my free visits.  So off I went.  Not all the recipes included the radishes.  One had the radishes and not the potatoes.  I supposed you can leave out what you want.  

Before I forget again, I want to wish a Bon Voyage to Lenda and her DH @Quartzsite Cruiser!   

This first one has both the potatoes and radishes.  According to what I've read, the radishes turn sweet when roasted.   https://www.pinterest.com/pin/579486677033205711/

lamb-chops-potatoes-radishes-1552062724.thumb.jpg.30a253b4a9a308d9f47e2f2c3271462a.jpg

This next one is a rack of lamb that can be cut into individual chops.  It comes with just the radishes, but the potatoes could be easily added with no problem  I would use one of the small potato varieties.    https://www.bhg.com/recipe/herb-crusted-rack-of-lamb-with-roasted-radishes-and-orange-vinaigrette/

herb-crusted-rack-lamb-RU185932.thumb.jpg.1804f5fca9dfac938cd0ac1704388774.jpg

Finally, we have a whole Greek feast.  The menu sounds wonderful.   The potatoes and radishes are done separately from the lamb, but they each sound good.   This might be for a special occasion, certainly not Monday night supper.   https://itsthyme2cook.com/greek-feast-grilled-lamb-chops/

1819112604_lambchopswithpotatoesandradishes.jpeg.211c8c56d2651cd6eabb91c6d6ff7a2d.jpeg

Happy eating!

• Like 28
  • Thanks 8

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our Monday smile 🙂 

Great collections of days.  Many parents have indeed been teachers with the pandemic & so deserving of a day 👍 Love pianists and will happily celebrate their day.  DH will love it if I cook something bold again tonight.  No matter what you decide to cook, don’t do this:

66AEFF9D-7A57-48BA-AB36-610B55EB754A.webp.ab0f724d9c04b1c8e0a834a17fcecd72.webp

Love the quote - seems quite true & lamb chops?  YUM!  👍 Pretty hard to find radishes at this time of the year though.  I think I’ve had today’s wine but will wait for Cat’s description.  If it’s the one I’m thinking of, it’s very good.

@Quartzsite CruiserBon Voyage 🚢 🥂 Hope you have a fabulous time 🤞 

@Mr. Bostonmust be the season for dill pickle soup.  My friend just shared a recipe with me and she said it was delicious.  Hope yours is too!

Well, today the fence out front gets put away & finish the garage prep.  With luck I will get my bulbs in & cover the front gardens with screening to keep the squirrels out of my bulbs.  And do some more leaves.  there’s always more leaves to do 😔 

5A9C5670-39FA-4EDD-A4C1-D94FE4257A86.thumb.jpeg.c3615d81a98ff9094e176b7c2cb17fa9.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Monday everyone !!!!!!

3F0EAA28-FEC0-4766-880B-A65E16C40A14.jpeg.281f8b45a75cc4715b58beb397d2878a.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 28
  • Haha 12

Good Morning. Thanks for the daily and the care lists.

It's a chilly morning here. Our local weather people tell us it is the coldest morning since early April. (56 F) But the sun is out and it will warm up. I plan to fire up the grill for dinner.

Parents need to be teachers and also to be involved in thier kids education.

I admire the talent of a good pianist. They can express so many emotions with their instrument.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 25

35 minutes ago, Mr. Boston said:

Thanks for the daily report Rich.  Good morning everyone on the first Monday of the time change.  While I won’t be cooking anything bold I will be eating something bold. BIL’s new neighbor sent us home with a container of home made dill pickle soup yesterday after learning that I was from 100% Polish ancestry like her.  It smells delicious.  Parents are the most important teachers.  Pianists keep us entertained and inspired.  The quote is often quite true, passive aggression can take many slippery forms.  The dinner sounds very nice.  Haven’t been to today’s port and look forward to all of the photos, loved yesterday’s.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list and cheers to all celebrating a happy event.  

The Dill Pickle Soup sounded bold plus I had never heard of it. So here is a link to the recipe!

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/54804/dill-pickle-soup/

• Like 16
  • Thanks 7

Good morning  to all.I like the idea of cooking something bold but will be serving a nice potato leek soup tonight.I like the recipe but no one else would....Pianists and parents as teachers should be celebrated.We have not been to the port of the day.

Today has been busy with early morning  dog walks and a drop off at school for Tana's son before the coffee took hold.DD and DSIL still work from home most days and start  early so I tried to be useful.His school is on the other side of town and the traffic is fierce. I had forgotten  how long a car ride can be when the other party does not wish to talk.Oh my.I understand it but it is  hard to put up with.

@dfish I sure hope the heat gets fixed today!

Terry

• Like 28

Good morning from a cool 42 degrees in Northwest, Florida. Not to worry as forecast states it should warm up to 75. Great walking weather.

It’s Monday so that means laundry day and as I mentioned last week the cool weather adds to a bulkier laundry pile. May need two loads!😩

Still awaiting delivery of local paper so in the meantime I will continue reading the Daily.

Thanks to all who contribute.

• Like 26

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! The gremlins seem to be sleeping in this morning. 🤞🏻A great selection of days. I will have to hunt to see if there is anything bold in the freezer.

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy.  Morning Dailyite family! Another nippy morning, but the sun is shining. Last night’s cul-de-sac farewell for my neighbors was great. The sun came out an hour before the official start - just as we were setting up, and the host’s property is well blocked from winds. It was a bittersweet celebration, but a fun gathering.  Off to the gym this morning. But I also am celebrating successfully climbing a step ladder. Hard to believe how much we take little things like that for granted. 

Prayers for all who need our support! Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Forstreiter Grüner Veltliner Kremstal Kremser Kogl 2018

All released vintages of this Austrian white wine share the same very good - excellent ratings and very reasonable prices. The 2019 vintage seems to be easier to find with prices starting at $11.94. Jacqui, @kazuthank you for sharing your experience -  I am fairly certain I have never tried a Veltliner, so I am putting this on my list. 
Winemaker Notes

#71 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2019

Classic Grüner Veltliner, with beautifully balanced fruit and acidity, minerally and smooth, hints of spice and good length.

WS91 Wine Spectator

Mineral-driven and well-built, this is bursting with notes of iodine, lentil and white pepper, while nectarine and pear flavors take a back seat. Very energetic, with enough structure to stand up to a serious meal. Drink now through 2026.
W&S90 Wine & Spirits

This feels like spring in its bright, crisp flavors of snap peas and pink grapefruit. It’s fresh, firm and energetic, immediately appealing—especially at the price. Best Buy

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 6

Good morning everyone. I love that we are celebrating people who love and play the piano. One of my grandsons took a gap year after high school and went to Interlochen in Michigan to study piano last year. Now he is a freshman in college and studying piano there. His goal is to become an MD and study how music effects the brain. Sam went to Juliard in NYC when he was a teenager and also studied piano.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 33

Good Monday morning.  It's cold!  Don't cook bold here, we are just bland eaters.  I wish more parents would be teachers, sadly many feel it is the schools job to do that.  And I love Piano music.  My mother let me give it up and I sure wish I hadn't.

Will pass on the meal.  Have been to today's destination but can't seem to find any photo's.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Hi-fi:

Ingredients
1 1/2 oz Vodka
Top up cup Orange Soda
a lot cubes ice

Directions
Fill an Old Fashioned glass with ice.
Pour in vodka.
Top up with orange soda.
Garnish with half orange wheel.

Screen Shot 2021-11-08 at 8.06.20 AM.png

Edited by summer slope
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 7

5 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Good Monday morning.  It's cold!  Don't cook bold here, we are just bland eaters.  I wish more parents would be teachers, sadly many feel it is the schools job to do that.  And I love Piano music.  My mother let me give it up and I sure wish I hadn't.

Will pass on the meal.  Have been to today's destination but can't seem to find any photo's.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Hi-fi:

Ingredients
1 1/2 oz Vodka
Top up cup Orange Soda
a lot cubes ice

Directions
Fill an Old Fashioned glass with ice.
Pour in vodka.
Top up with orange soda.
Garnish with half orange wheel.

Screen Shot 2021-11-08 at 8.06.20 AM.png

That will affect gluclose levels.

• Like 7

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  After cooking at least once a day for the past 1.5 years, it's hard coming up with things that are bold.  Saluting parents as teachers, because so many have had to step into that role during the pandemic.  Love listening to the piano, and am amazed watching some pianists perform.

I hope everyone enjoyed the extra hour of sleep on the weekend; now that the time has changed, I stand a better chance of getting on the first page of the Daily!  Yesterday we were in the yard and had just started cleaning up the ornamental crab apples when the phone rang.  A colleague of DH's wanted to pop over to return a book he'd borrowed a couple of years ago, and  also wanted to take his wife for a drive; she's been battling breast cancer and needed to get out of the house for a change of scenery.  Well that ended our yard clean-up, as we made a pot of hot coffee, I got out the cookies and we sat on the glassed-in deck for a 2 hour visit.  It was nice to reconnect, and we can always do the yard work today.

Unfortunately DH doesn't care for lamb, so I won't be having any of that today - I've got ground beef thawing for hamburgers that will either be done on the grill (if it stays warm enough), or will be cooked in the George Foreman.  I'll put some fries in the air fryer and we can pretend we're having lunch from the Dive-In.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  We'll clink the glasses together to cheer those on the celebratory list.  Stay safe, wear your masks, wash your hands and be well!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 33

Good morning, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

I am trying a new chicken recipe tonight, but wouldn't consider it bold. Parents should always be teachers at home. I've been playing the piano for 48 years. (I was headed to Juliard until an upper back/shoulder injury prevented that path.)

I love the meal suggestion.

More prepping the front of the house today to get ready for the stone guy tomorrow. (One of the few jobs DH agreed to hire out for.) 

@kazugood luck getting your fall chores done. It sounds like a big undertaking.

@dfishI hope your heater gets repaired very soon.

Bon Voyage @Quartzsite Cruiser.

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

• Like 28

My days have gotten very busy and will continue to be busy for the next month or two.  Doing what?  I cannot say.  What I CAN say is I have two weeks worth of the daily paper waiting to be read and have only ducked into the Daily to do a quick scan of what everyone has been doing.  (Notice, the Daily is scanned.  The daily newspaper just goes into a pile!)

Thank you, Everyone, for continuing to post.

Stay Well!  Stay Safe!  And, depending upon the weather where you live, Stay Warm!

• Like 26
  • Haha 1

Good morning, all! A quick hello from Mexico before we’re off for the day. I homeschooled my DD’s for a couple of years long ago, so parents as teachers is quite familiar. We have never been to Manzanilla. Trying to learn Spanish has payed off - sort of. I only know a little, but apparently my pronunciation is good. When I phone for something, and open with a greeting in Spanish, a rapid torrent of Spanish comes back at me and we need to start over.😁

Anyway, I’m told we need to be off.

Happy Monday, everyone. If anyone knows what day the Konigsdam visits PV, I would love to see a BHB sail in! TIA.

2D13E44F-02A0-47DB-A806-BA7B0DF54D63.thumb.jpeg.2bb429c1b95682f53bcb4d272c995666.jpeg

• Like 29

Thank you for today's daily Rich and Roy for today's lists.

We don't like Cooking very much.

Interesting quote,food and drink.

Looking forward to seeing photos from today's port as we have not been here.

Today's breakfast with our Sarah and her best friend Mel.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone on the care list.

Take care.

Graham.

IMG-20211108-WA0000.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 1