The Daily for Wednesday November 10, 2021

richwmn

Today is Forget-Me-Not Day, USMC Day, and Sesame Street Day 

A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree. - Spike Milligan

Meal suggestion for today - Wild Rice-and-Cider-Cranberry Pilaf

Drink of the Day - Dirty Shirley

Wine of the day - Col Solare Syrah Component Collection - Washington State - Red

Destination of the Day - Oban Scotland United Kingdom

Ships with Passengers

At Sea Atlantic
Eurodam Destination Fort Lauderdale

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida
Rotterdam 07:00 - 16:00

Oranjestad, Aruba Island
Nieuw Amsterdam Dutch Antilles 08:00 - 17:00

San Francisco, Californa
Koningsdam 10:00 - 24:00

Ships without Passengers

At Sea Pacific
Noordam Destination Panama Canal eta 11/12
Westerdam Destination Los Angeles CA US eta 11/14

Augusta IT
Zaandam

Corfu GR
Volendam

Long Beach CA US
Zuiderdam Anchorage

Princess Cays BS
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

Scheveningen NL
Oosterdam Anchorage

1110World.thumb.png.7b170f54beff8fb69eb28c345855fbc5.png

• Like 31
  • Thanks 11

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

Happy Hump Day.

Forget me not Day - what a wonderful idea, to reconnect with people.  A big salute to the USMC.  Love Sesame Street.

Love the quote.

The meal suggestion sounds like a good side dish to me, looking forward to seeing the recipe.

Not sure about the drink of the day, hope the wine is tasty.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of today's destination.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 25

Thank you for the Hump Day Daily, Rich.  A special salute to the USMC.  I was born a bit too early for Sesame Street but it was a great idea.  Cheers for Forget-Me-Knot Day,  The quote is true but won't be very practical here.  The I haven't been to Oban.  Sadly,  the webcam at Aruba appears to be down long term.  The meal sounds interesting.  My alternative is Chilled Mango Gazpacho, Chateaubriand, and Carrot Cake A la Mode as served on MS Prinsendam November 10, 2017.

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2017/11/dishes10.jpg

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
kakalina with spreading lung cancer going into hospice
SrLouisCruisers friend John with end stage melanoma
My travel agent with an esophageal blockage
cat shepard’s friend recovering from aggressive chemo
Tana back in the hospital
Cruising along DH awaiting cataract surgery
Seasick sailor’s friend Walker wthdrawing from cancer treatments
From the rotation:
Mamaofami’s friend in hospice
HAL Sailor DH health issues
StLouisSal not hearing from friend with liver transplant
cunnorl DH sister recovering from stroke

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

A Rotterdam sailaway
4 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
SusieKIslandGirl onEurodam
horizonchaser1947 settled in Mexico
Lady Hudson at Canaveral  (Anthem OTS)
Norseh20 at sea (Oceania Marina to 12/1)
5 days for dobiemom (NCL Bliss)
4 days for Quartzite Cruiser
1Angelcat getting biopsy results

57redbird covid negative and surgery scheduled for November 29
Heat for dfish
Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 31
  • Thanks 9

Good afternoon.

It is sunny and 75°F here.

Thank you for today's daily Rich and Roy for the various lists you both meticulously keep.

Flowers are always good for Forget me not day.

Eating green apples for seasickness was a tip from a cabin steward.

Interesting food and drink today.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone who needs them.

Take care and stay safe.

Hope everyone has a lovely day 

Graham.

16365454978296865188509919079494.jpg

Screenshot_20211110_131140.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our Hump Day smile 🙂 

Great collection  of days!  Seems appropriate that USMC day is on the same day as Forget Me Not Day.  The beautiful Forge Me Not flower is very symbolic for different organizations & love. But….National Forget Me Not Day was created in 1921 & originally raised funds for services for returning injured soldiers.  It  reminds Americans of the sacrifices returning soldiers have made of body, blood & limb.

9B1BA221-3BBE-44FF-B238-A956770F19E7.png.edcdf9615b3147130f9d7b874d79f257.png

LOL on the quote - if you are under a tree you wouldn’t be on a ship 😉 

Meal suggestion sounds like a great dish to accompany chicken or fish.

BF0784BC-988C-4E42-A12B-6E64D95D6A88.thumb.jpeg.360d8d6ef13ab430abf4f8c137f8e4fc.jpeg

We are about to hit a true state of emergency here - liquor store employees are about to strike 😱 Guess I better stock up on cardboardeaux

Well, I got a fair bit done yesterday - didn’t finish but I got a LOT done.  Filled a 1/2 ton truck with mulched leaves and off it went to the “leaf lady”. I figure that was at least 12 more compost bags worth.  Front garden is weeded, earth added, tulips in and the screen fencing to keep the squirrels out is in place.  But the back garden is only partially weeded - more work and the deer proof bulbs still have to go in.  Thursday (raining today) will be the day.  I am a tad sore today 😉 

Prayers for those on the Care list and for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Wednesday everyone !!!!!!

D6D4AD1B-9162-4BE3-ACAC-C387943BB9C4.jpeg.7cb33beb80d3b855f0e65fed926fcab6.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 11

Good morning everyone and thanks for the daily report.  Forget me not day honors injured soldiers who return from battles, many thanks to them.  Thanks to the USMC for their service.  Cheers to Sesame Street and all of the contributions that it has made educating children for decades.  I guess the cure for many things could be sitting under a tree.  The meal suggestion sounds very nice but as a side dish.  Haven’t been to today’s port and look forward to the photos.  Prayers to everyone on our prayer list today.  Cheers to everyone celebrating a happy event.

• Like 23

Good morning, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

A salute to the USMC. Sesame Street has been a great teaching tool and is still going strong. Love the forget me not flowers and sentiment.

Cute quote, although I have a feeling anyone here that gets seasick would just put on a patch and stay on the ship. I agree the meal suggestion sounds like a side dish, an excellent on imo. Maybe @dfishwill prove otherwise.

The stone contractor should be here in an hour or so and the front of our house will look very different by the end of the day. 😀

Have a great day!

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

• Like 28

Good morning.  I like all three days today.  Interesting quote.  The meal sounds delicious, can't wait for Debbie's recipe.  Have not been to today's port.

I tried to get on the port cams this morning and they kept blacking out.  sigh.

Got a notice from HAL this morning about port changes for our January cruise and it felt like the Abbott and Costello who's on first.  LOL

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Dirty Shirley:

Fill a glass with ice, then add 2 ounces (¼ cup) vodka and 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) grenadine. Top with soda, then garnish with a maraschino cherry.

Screen Shot 2021-11-10 at 7.19.52 AM.png

• Like 26
  • Thanks 5

Good Morning everyone! Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, and thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebrations Report. And thank you everyone for caring and sharing! 

I never had any official interaction with the USMC while in the Coast Guard. But I did have a few friends that proudly enlisted as Leathernecks. Of course us Coasties had a more endearing name for them.  😄

My daughters enjoyed Sesame Street while growing up in the '80s.

- Jack

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 23

22 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Got a notice from HAL this morning about port changes for our January cruise and it felt like the Abbott and Costello who's on first.  LOL

please post or send me the changes so that my file is correct. Thanks!

• Like 11

49 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Hump Day Daily, Rich.  A special salute to the USMC.  I was born a bit too early for Sesame Street but it was a great idea.  Cheers for Forget-Me-Knot Day,  The quote is true but won't be very practical here.  The I haven't been to Oban.  Sadly,  the webcam at Aruba appears to be down long term.  The meal sounds interesting.  My alternative is Chilled Mango Gazpacho, Chateaubriand, and Carrot Cake A la Mode as served on MS Prinsendam November 10, 2017.

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2017/11/dishes10.jpg

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
kakalina with spreading lung cancer going into hospice
SrLouisCruisers friend John with end stage melanoma
My travel agent with an esophageal blockage
cat shepard’s friend recovering from aggressive chemo
Tana back in the hospital
Cruising along DH awaiting cataract surgery
Seasick sailor’s friend Walker wthdrawing from cancer treatments
From the rotation:
Mamaofami’s friend in hospice
HAL Sailor DH health issues
StLouisSal not hearing from friend with liver transplant
cunnorl DH sister recovering from stroke

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

A Rotterdam sailaway
4 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
SusieKIslandGirl onEurodam
horizonchaser1947 settled in Mexico
Lady Hudson at Canaveral  (Anthem OTS)
Norseh20 at sea (Oceania Marina to 12/1)
5 days for dobiemom (NCL Bliss)
4 days for Quartzite Cruiser
1Angelcat getting biopsy results

57redbird covid negative and surgery scheduled for November 29
Heat for dfish
Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thanks for both lists Roy.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Good morning.  I like all three days today.  Interesting quote.  The meal sounds delicious, can't wait for Debbie's recipe.  Have not been to today's port.

I tried to get on the port cams this morning and they kept blacking out.  sigh.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Dirty Shirley:

Fill a glass with ice, then add 2 ounces (¼ cup) vodka and 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) grenadine. Top with soda, then garnish with a maraschino cherry.

Screen Shot 2021-11-10 at 7.19.52 AM.png

Nover heard of this one before.

• Like 4

Good morning everyone from a toasty warm house in northeast Ohio.   

My furnace escapade does make me think about those who have no heat in the colder months and the homeless, many of whom are veterans suffering from mental illness after their service, who live in the outdoors all winter long.  

I remember the Sesame Street days from when my nieces and nephews were little.  We spent a lot of time watching Sesame Street and when a distraction was necessary we sang C is for Cookie and La La La La Lightbulb among others.  

Today's meal is an excellent side dish and would be a wonderful addition to left over turkey from a Thanksgiving feast.   The first recipe is for a basic pilaf with cider and cranberries.  It doesn't include directions.  It directs you back to a paid site for those, but most of us can figure out what to do from the following directions.    https://www.copymethat.com/r/MfRPvMyS3/best-wild-rice-and-cider-cranberry-pilaf/

942893814_WildRiceandCiderCranberryPilaf.jpg.e1e2b535d119d1a4188cd175facae95e.jpg

This next one adds in pecans which provide a bit of protein.  I think the nutty flavor from the pecans would be a wonderful addition to the wild rice.  Also, this one uses apples as well as cider.    https://www.dinneratthezoo.com/rice-pilaf/

1686368480_WildRiceandCranberryPilaf.thumb.jpg.76ac02c75abc567529e46119344babc1.jpg

And for a finish, we have an instant pot version.   https://thebellyrulesthemind.net/cranberry-wild-rice-pilaf/

366015655_WildRiceandCranberryPilafInstantPot.jpg.c6a323a700e3a12f3a712c05a2d27b04.jpg

Enjoy!

• Like 28
  • Thanks 4

Good Morning from a bright and getting warmer day at the beach

Great selection of days. Big Salute to the USMC . Will send a special prayer for all those soldiers for which Forget Me Not was established.

DS was a big fan of Big Bird on Sesame Street. Still have the talking Bird Bird in a closet. Not sure why?

Never been to todays port.

We finally got our boosters yesterday.  Little arm soreness, but all is well.

Big Rocket Launch tonight.   4 Astronauts going to the Space Station.  It has been postponed a few times so hopefully it will be OK. We pray for a safe  mission for the astronauts.

Off to water aerobics.

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 25

Rich I got this today:

Rotterdam

ITINERARY CHANGE NOTIFICATION:
Due to the Key West, Florida port closure and other port restrictions the call
to Half Moon Cay, Bahamas on January 10 has been replaced with a call to
Nassau, Bahamas; the call to Georgetown, Cayman Island on January 13 has been
replaced with a Day at Sea; the Day at Sea on January 14 has been replaced
with a call to Grand Turk, Turks & Caicos Islands and the call to Key West,
Florida on January 15 has been replaced with a call to Half Moon Cay, Bahamas.

Edited by Seasick Sailor
Add ship name
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 3

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Forget Me Nots are sweet little flowers with great meaning for the service men and women, as well as the Alzheimer's Society.  I had a pen pal from the USMC during the Vietnam war; we never got to meet, but I did hear he returned home safely.  Our son grew up on Sesame Street; I'm happy to see it's still going strong today.

If I took today's quote to heart, I'd never have stepped foot on a cruise ship after our first one.  I'm very susceptible to motion sickness and spent the first couple of days in bed - until DH brought me meclizine tablets from the ship's store.  24 cruises later, I'm still happy to sail all over the world in comfort - much better than sitting under a tree.

Although DH isn't a fan of wild rice, I think I could make this by adding some plain rice to it, and it could be turned into a main dish by the addition of either cooked chicken or turkey.   It might be a good way to use up some leftovers after Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner.

The "Alberta Clipper" storm that has been forecast has begun to show itself in the form of freezing rain.  I looked outside when I got up this morning to see the streets glistening like diamonds, and was ever so glad we don't have to go anywhere today.   It is expected that we'll likely get a couple of inches of snow before day's end, so we'll see what happens.

We enjoyed our rack o ribs for dinner last night and have half of them left, so I'm going to make a casserole of baked spaghetti to accompany the leftovers for our dinner tonight.  With a stormy day and evening predicted, it's time for comfort food.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising the glasses high to cheer on all who are on the celebration list.  Be safe, wash your hands, wear your masks, and stay well.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 28

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! A stellar collection of days. Each celebrating a group deserving our thanks. 

Roy, thank you for our lists! Best wishes for tomorrow. Morning Dailyite family! Almost 10 degrees warmer this morning. Looks like another beauty. Today I am trying a new gym class - TRX. I still am not able to do Zumba classes, so I am trying to find other options. 

My friend is home again from the hospital, but has been so weak we haven’t been able to chat. Her Sister gave me a time window to call today, so I am hoping to hear her voice. Thank you all for your prayers and best wishes. 

Today’s meal sounds delicious and probably easy to adapt for meat eaters. 
The drink sounds ok. But what a name!

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Col Solare Syrah Component Collection

Like bold, red wines? This Washington Syrah is a product of a partnership between two big names in the world of wine. Excellent ratings, but the cheapest price I could find online was $85.00.

Winemaker Notes

A partnership between Marchesi Antinori of Tuscany and Chateau Ste. Michelle of Washington, Col Solare’s mission is to unite the unique winemaking cultures of these two esteemed regions to produce world-class wines from the best fruit in Red Mountain.
The Component Collection is produced in limited quantities in select vintages using single varieties that display interesting character and exceptional quality.
Vintage The2016vintageonRedMountainexperiencedthe best of both worlds with a hot spring and early summer, but also a cool fall season. Cooler temperatures in August and September, slowed down ripening and resulted in longer hang time. Overall, 2016 saw very favorable growing conditions, producing wines with ripeness and elegance.
WINEMAKING Harvest began for Syrah on September 2nd, with grapes full of dark fruit flavor and sweet silky tannins. After sorting, grapes were gently crushed, with lots fermented separately on the skins for an average of 15 days. Both small bin and barrel fermentation was used with primarily punch down style maceration techniques to extract the best flavors without harsh tannins. The wine was removed from the skins and placed into new French oak barrels for malolactic fermentation and aging. Racking occurred every three months for the first year
of the 17-month aging period, every four months afterwards. Bottled unfined and unfiltered.
Tasting Notes Aromas of blackberry, boysenberry, espresso and spice introduce this rich and powerful wine. Lingering flavors of berry, caramel, and cola lead to a seductive, silky finish.
– Darel Allwine, Winemaker

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 4

Good morning everyone. USMC is an easy one for us to celebrate. Sam was in the Navy but stationed on a Marine base in North Carolina because the Navy supplied the medical and dental care. It was the closest all weather refueling  air base to Cuba and we were there during the Cuban Missile Crisis. Our base emptied out and went to quantanimo but Sam’s original orders got mixed up and he never had basic training so he stayed on the base. The night before everyone left, we had a pilot friend for dinner but he couldn’t tell us he was leaving to do reconisance because Sam’s clearance wasn’t high enough. We had a six lane highway to New Bern and rat.95 and all officers wives were told to always keep their gas tanks half full in case they had to evacuate.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

Good morning Rich. Thank you for our Daily.

Hello friends. Hoping all on our care list are getting lots of prayers this morning. The list continues to grow. 

As Summer mentioned, we also got a notice on port changes that I mentioned above. I expect to see another change notice for our holiday cruise. 

I received my box of Covid tests yesterday and watched the suggested video. I'm still going to book us at CVS for the test, just making sure we're covered "just in case". 

This morning I have an eye appt. I do not like having my eyes dilated. Thinking about beef stew for dinner. I would really like Roy's meal suggestion!

Toasting to USMC tonight, and will never forget our wounded soldiers. 

image.png.b1d1889b00d5e25a34c91795abaea763.png

Cheers, prayers and blessings 

• Like 28