Summit buzzed by a jet

topsailgirl

Just got off the summit from a five day cruise. On the first day that was a sea day as we sailed from Nassau to Cozumel about 10 o’clock in the morning what appeared to be a military jet came up along side the ship. It was very loud and very startling (coming up out of nowhere next to the ship and moving fast) and everybody who was on deck including crew stopped and stared. I was totally unnerved.  The jet then peeled off and went up in to the sky. We never heard what this was about even after asking around the ship about it. Has anyone heard about this incident?

22 minutes ago, topsailgirl said:

It was loud, came out of no where, was flying low next to the ship and then peeled off. SO how long in total?  Long enough to be unnerving. 

Well nothing happened.  You are safe.  When you asked the staff, what exactly did they say?

9 hours ago, topsailgirl said:

Just got off the summit from a five day cruise. On the first day that was a sea day as we sailed from Nassau to Cozumel about 10 o’clock in the morning what appeared to be a military jet came up along side the ship. It was very loud and very startling (coming up out of nowhere next to the ship and moving fast) and everybody who was on deck including crew stopped and stared. I was totally unnerved.  The jet then peeled off and went up in to the sky. We never heard what this was about even after asking around the ship about it. Has anyone heard about this incident?

Did it sound something like this?

• Like 6

9 hours ago, topsailgirl said:

I hope you survived this ordeal. 

• Like 1

Greetings

Sounds like you were in the Florida Straits and you encountered one of the Navy jets flying out of NAS Key West.  When we were living in the lower Keys we would often take our boat out to Tortugas to fish and dive.  They would fly by at "wave top" going very fast.  They were so low and fast they actually left a wake on the water.  Not sure it they did it to show off or the scare the s**t out of us (maybe both).

Good Sailing

Tom

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We were in Sky Lounge one overcast morning, off the coast of NC, when we heard a roar in the distance.  An F-14 Tomcat appeared, roared past the ship at bridge height, then stood on its tail and went straight up.  There was silence, then "WOW!", then "That was awesome!"

When they fly, we are free.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, topsailgirl said:

Wow, what a thrill that must have been! We had a similar "buzz" on a UK cruise several years ago, up near Scotland. It appeared to maybe be a Vulcan, but it was there and gone so fast it was hard to tell. The Vulcan was t he bomber used in the movie Thunderball for you 007 fans.

After 27 year with Naval aviation I love seeing aircraft!😎

Doug

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Auntiemomo said:

We had a fly over on Harmony of the Seas a few days back.  Later found out Captain gave them permission.  It probably was a P-3 on a training mission out of Jax.

I flew in P3s until the mid-1990s, and we'd often do fly bys on cruise and other ships. Never a problem as long as we maintained the stand off distances. Same as now I bet. The term "buzz" has a negative connotation I think; we used to call them fly-bys.  But of course now the term "drive-bys" also has a very negative connotation. Whatever, we enjoyed seeing the ships, and I bet 95% of the passengers enjoyed seeing the our aircraft, then and now!😎

Doug

• Like 3

Living relatively close to Wright Patterson AFB, we see and hear F1x fairly often.  I know it’s cool for those who have never seen a “buzz by” before.  But, if you’ve never seen it, it will make your jaw drop the first time you do.

They’ll “buzz” our pro sports stadiums, too…..in formation.  That’s very impressive.

Edited by graphicguy