Summit buzzed by a jet

topsailgirl

13 hours ago, topsailgirl said:

Just got off the summit from a five day cruise. On the first day that was a sea day as we sailed from Nassau to Cozumel about 10 o’clock in the morning what appeared to be a military jet came up along side the ship. It was very loud and very startling (coming up out of nowhere next to the ship and moving fast) and everybody who was on deck including crew stopped and stared. I was totally unnerved.  The jet then peeled off and went up in to the sky. We never heard what this was about even after asking around the ship about it. Has anyone heard about this incident?

IMO it is quite an exhilarating sight to see.  Lived in San Diego for 10 years, my office was right near the military base, had an amazing view every day when they went off to train over the pacific.  FYI they did not "buzz" the ship, that would be with the intention to frighten.  It was most likely just a simple training maneuver, very routine.  I would guess the captain knew about it in advance.  A nice scotch for you!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, mayleeman said:

When jets from the Marine Air Base here in Beaufort, SC, fly low, we love it--the sound of freedom, our Marine likes to say.

Agree. I live about five miles from an Air Force Base and get a air show (variety of Military aircraft) just about everyday over our house as they head out to the training range or flight test,  post maintenance work.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Agree. I live about five miles from an Air Force Base and get a air show (variety of Military aircraft) just about everyday over our house as they head out to the training range or flight test,  post maintenance work.  

Totally agree, we live near Luke AFB, in AZ, and see and hear jets flying over almost everyday, and love the “sounds of freedom” . It was really meaningful around 9/11 2001.

• Like 2

Don’t think the OP was freaking out. Just stating the facts as he/she experienced them.  I live in Minnesota and would be a bit unnerved if a military jet did a flyover. Especially so if the captain didn’t clarify what had just happened.  We all come to these events with varying levels of experience, expertise and tolerance.  

15 hours ago, topsailgirl said:

Just got off the summit from a five day cruise. On the first day that was a sea day as we sailed from Nassau to Cozumel about 10 o’clock in the morning what appeared to be a military jet came up along side the ship. It was very loud and very startling (coming up out of nowhere next to the ship and moving fast) and everybody who was on deck including crew stopped and stared. I was totally unnerved.  The jet then peeled off and went up in to the sky. We never heard what this was about even after asking around the ship about it. Has anyone heard about this incident?

We had the same thing happen to us on the Edge back in August, only we were going from Cozumel to Nassau. Unfortunately, we were on our balcony on the starboard side and only heard the fly-by as it was on the opposite side of the ship. But, it definitely woke us up!!

52 minutes ago, RonPaula said:

Don’t think the OP was freaking out. Just stating the facts as he/she experienced them.  I live in Minnesota and would be a bit unnerved if a military jet did a flyover. Especially so if the captain didn’t clarify what had just happened.  We all come to these events with varying levels of experience, expertise and tolerance.  

"I was totally unnerved."

That, to me, suggests panic.  I understand the OP was upset but I see no report of threats to sink the ship or anything other than a close fly by.

I've seen a couple fly by's and really enjoyed.

We were on a middle east cruise and a Iranian gun boat came barrelling toward with guns pointed at us but broke away about a mile or less from us.   It was a bit unnerving and the captain had staff on the decks with binoculars and radios keeping an eye on him  

Edited by Jim_Iain

4 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I've seen a couple fly by's and really enjoyed.

We were on a middle east cruise and a Iranian gun boat came barrelling toward with guns pointed at us but broke away about a mile or less from us.   It was a bit unnerving and the captain had staff on the decks with binoculars and radios keeping an eye on him  

Where were you when this happened? 

OK. Let me clarify.  I was not panicked, hysterical, or frightened. I was “unnerved” because I am not used to suddenly seeing a fast and loud military jet fly right past me at almost eye-level.  However, I have since gotten my nerve back, so no harm no foul.

When I said “buzzed” I was speaking as a non-military person who was trying to convey the observation that the jet was deliberately flying near the ship at a relatively low altitude, not that it was menacing the ship necessarily.

When I said that it flew up into the sky, I was trying to convey the observation that the jet changed direction in a very obvious way right after it went past us, going from flying parallel to the ship’s path to flying horizontally to the ship’s path, (and yes, going up not down, fortunately) thereby adding to my feeling that the jet intended to fly relatively near (but did not buzz) the ship.

Of the crew members I asked, they either did not witness the event or else did not know why the event had taken place.  No announcements mentioned the event.  I had never heard of this happening to other cruise ships, (I did a quick search on CC right after the event, but did not come up with any info.)  I had no idea why a military jet would fly close to a cruise ship.( FYI,  I still don’t know….) I would hope one could understand why I thought the event was worth asking about on here.

Bottom line….it has happened on other ships and is no big deal.

Thank you to all the posters who provided helpful info, particularly dirty dawg whose video looks a lot like what I saw.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, topsailgirl said:

I had no idea why a military jet would fly close to a cruise ship.( FYI,  I still don’t know….)

From what I have read about other events, the pilots can use various vessels at sea to practice interdiction and identification. Those drills can provide helpful training as well as useful data on time needed to get flights aloft, plotting, etc. Fortunately, they don't practice missile runs this way!

Edited by mayleeman
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, topsailgirl said:

OK. Let me clarify.  I was not panicked, hysterical, or frightened. I was “unnerved” because I am not used to suddenly seeing a fast and loud military jet fly right past me at almost eye-level.  However, I have since gotten my nerve back, so no harm no foul.

When I said “buzzed” I was speaking as a non-military person who was trying to convey the observation that the jet was deliberately flying near the ship at a relatively low altitude, not that it was menacing the ship necessarily.

When I said that it flew up into the sky, I was trying to convey the observation that the jet changed direction in a very obvious way right after it went past us, going from flying parallel to the ship’s path to flying horizontally to the ship’s path, (and yes, going up not down, fortunately) thereby adding to my feeling that the jet intended to fly relatively near (but did not buzz) the ship.

Of the crew members I asked, they either did not witness the event or else did not know why the event had taken place.  No announcements mentioned the event.  I had never heard of this happening to other cruise ships, (I did a quick search on CC right after the event, but did not come up with any info.)  I had no idea why a military jet would fly close to a cruise ship.( FYI,  I still don’t know….) I would hope one could understand why I thought the event was worth asking about on here.

Bottom line….it has happened on other ships and is no big deal.

Thank you to all the posters who provided helpful info, particularly dirty dawg whose video looks a lot like what I saw.

LOL. Don’t you love it when you either ask a legit question or just share something for the good of the group and after you read the responses you just wish you never posted it due to the replies you get here?? lol. Been there and totally feel you. 

As for the jet…. The sound of freedom. I’m pretty sure it was one of our servicemen enjoying what they do for a living and providing some of you guys a cool show. To him or her, I say do as many of those deck runs as much as you want. Ahhhh I love the smell of jet exhaust in the morning!!!  ✈️🛩👊😎

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BoundForSea said:

LOL. Don’t you love it when you either ask a legit question or just share something for the good of the group and after you read the responses you just wish you never posted it due to the replies you get here?? lol. Been there and totally feel you. 

As for the jet…. The sound of freedom. I’m pretty sure it was one of our servicemen enjoying what they do for a living and providing some of you guys a cool show. To him or her, I say do as many of those deck runs as much as you want. Ahhhh I love the smell of jet exhaust in the morning!!!  ✈️🛩👊😎

Maybe the reaction had something to do with the excited way the post was written, as if the ship was about to sink?

Happened to us on a Royal Caribbean cruise in the Gulf. Think it was an Iranian jet. We were on the deck above the pools. It flew level with us, a little nerve wracking. There was an officer on deck reassuring people that everything was OK, apparently they did it every once in a while 

17 hours ago, zitsky said:

Where were you when this happened? 

16 hours ago, LGW59 said:

He said cruising in the Middle East 

14 hours ago, zitsky said:

Uhh.  It's a big place.  

I was asking for approximate location.

Perhaps the perfect exchange to sum up this thread.  😉