The Daily for Tuesday 02/15/2022

richwmn

2 hours ago, kazu said:

LOL on the kleptomaniac 😂 2 year olds do require full time sentry duty for sure 😉 

Gorgeous flowers, Carol 👍 

@ger_77so sorry to hear your favourite Italian restaurant was a bust 😔 Hope you can soon find a new favourite

@grapau27 good news on hour friend’s grandson.  Hope he continues to improve 🙏🏻 

@JAM37- a week to go before you cruise!  How very exciting!

How nice, Roy.  I hope you have a wonderful cruise!

I am so very sorry to hear this.  Poor Tana 😔 She is truly blessed to be surrounded by such supportive angels like you.  She will remain in prayers 🙏🏻 

Gorgeous!

Thanks.  Marley goes out at 4:30.  I stay inside and lure him back in and then try to get back to sleep 😉  Great pics of the port of the day!

What absolutely WONDERFUL news!!!  So happy to hear this and so happy for her and all of you. 🙂 

@cruzn singleWelcome home but oh dear on your self test and on how you are feeling.   😔   Hoping you recover quickly and  you “fail” the state test.

Thank you.

They found bacteria in his blood and waiting for results in case it is Meningitis.

Graham.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 7

7 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning.It is 16 degrees here but promises to get warmer.I am taking  Fred the cockapoo to the groomer.He is way overdue. It will be warmer by the time I pick him up.

I will celebrate  the days  and have not been to Korea.My DS makes a great jerk chicken that neither DH or I can tolerate anymore.I will do as Debbie suggests and adjust the spices for us.

We heard yesterday that the rehab hospital feels they cannot help our Tana beyond this week as her respiratory  issues are so compromised. I was afraid of this  as even small amounts of activity  result in exhaustion.She will return to all if us on Friday and we will do our best to help.She met  another patient  with pulmonary fibrosis  on her unit and they have been encouraging  each other in therapy.

Take care if yourselves out there

Terry

So sorry to hear about Tanya. My close friend’s husband had the same illness.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, GeorgeCharlie said:

We visited Jeju Island in the spring of 2018. The Island is primarily visited by local Korean and Chinese tourists. Unfortunately, in 2017 most cruise ships cancelled their visits to Korea due to the diplomatic tension between China and South Korea. It was just beginning to receive more cruise ships when we visited. 

Some things we noticed while we were there - although they may have changed since then.

First is that there was very little English-support on the island. Taxi drivers, restaurant workers, shops, etc. did not speak English. Restaurant menus and most other signs are in Korean! So, if you are planning on touring the city on your own, you best know Korean, or have a translate app for your phone. Also, be aware that Google Maps does not work in Korea, as the country has strict security policies.

In addition, there are different visa requirements on Jeju Island then for the Korean mainland. Citizens of most countries are eligible for a 90-day visa on arrival, but this created a very long wait to clear customs and immigration - as they examine every document and passport in detail, along with taking mugshots of everybody.

It took us over two hours to get through!

Looking forward while waiting.

Arrival1.jpg.f37bb754d8d37a4c2822ad92accc64c9.jpg

And looking at the lineup remaining behind us. The line turns at the far end and continues back along another long hallway.

Arrival2.jpg.a38ff9763c64b73f4d151eb63af6104e.jpg

Jeju currently has two cruise terminals and in 2019 they announced a plan for building a new Jeju Port, which will be dedicated to large international cruise ships. It’s still a long way off, but should help relieve the congestion. 

Plus, hopefully by now they have improved their clearance process!!

That looks just like Newark airport, one of the worst in the U s.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, summer slope said:

I have a favor for anyone sailing this week or next.  If you have time and are willing to help, would you ask the Lido pool bartender how he makes his Bahama Mama's.  I've lost the recipe and can only find ones online for slushy type.  The ones on the ship were shaken. Thank you in advance.

Here is a hand written version I got from one of the bartenders a few years back when I did some mixology classes -

image.thumb.png.1c6d4d9a07287ba4ed7f338b369a823e.png

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Here is yesterday's Valentine's appetizer, prosecco, and main course -

20220214_185220.thumb.jpg.7850194394b94ec4decf281f2bf48414.jpg

20220214_195046.thumb.jpg.af088b3773618bc2cce693be4c47c2df.jpg

It was about 15F when I grilled the porterhouse. I only was outside long enough to get a good sear on both sides and then finished cooking the steak in the oven (while warming myself up and enjoying a second glass of prosecco!)

• Like 26

Just checking in to see there is good news and not so good news on this board.  

@cunnorl absolutely wonderful news about your DS; let's hope she has many more good years to come!

@Horizon chaser 1957 so glad to read (yesterday) that you arrived safely in Palm Springs; hopefully the a/c on the car isn't going to break the budget!

@smitty34877 how awful that the rehab hospital doesn't think they can help Tana any more - surely there must be more they (or someone else) can do for her.  She and your whole family will continue to be in my prayers.

@Cruzin Terriwishing you good luck with your appointments.

@cruzn single I'm sorry to hear you've tested positive; dang Covid!  Hopefully your symptoms will be mild and short lived.

@kazu your sisters are so thoughtful!  Too bad Marley can't tell time, though.

Hoping everyone has a great evening!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

Good not - quite - morning, all! Interesting selection of days, although none really resonate for me. We haven’t been to today’s port, and I’m grateful,for,the pictures. The meal sounds good, ditto the drink and of course, wine.😉

DH has the car in for repairs today. Some of the road surfaces SoCal were not kind.

The temperature is perfect here, although there’s a strong wind. We’re having a great visit!

Our upcoming Grand Africa Voyage on the Zaandam has fallen off all the port schedules for this fall. The Zaandam’s 2022 itinerary likewise is now showing a mysterious gap from October 10 to December 20. I hate to say it, but I think I see the shadow of the axe.😢

Happy Tuesday, everyone, to those both on and off a BHB!

C511B1AC-BE10-4BF8-81CB-8B9E9216930A.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

@smitty34877, so sad to hear about Tana.  I feel for her but I think more than anything it must be devastating for her son.  Wishing you all strength as you move forward.

@kazu, you have the best of sisters.

@Cruzin Terri wishing you the best for your visit to Jacksonville.

@mamaofami, I take your news as both good news on Sam's recovery and what a thoughtful gem you married..

Not happy with USPS today.  I got an email and tracking data that says my government covid tests were left in my mailbox today.  NADA.  It's a secure locked compartment in a neighborhood cluster so it was mishandled by USPS and NOT pilfered.

Roy

• Like 12
  • Thanks 5

10 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

@smitty34877, so sad to hear about Tana.  I feel for her but I think more than anything it must be devastating for her son.  Wishing you all strength as you move forward.

@mamaofami, I take your news as both good news on Sam's recovery and what a thoughtful gem you married..

Not happy with USPS today.  I got an email and tracking data that says my government covid tests were left in my mailbox today.  NADA.  It's a secure locked compartment in a neighborhood cluster so it was mishandled by USPS and NOT pilfered.

Roy

Roy you are so right. Tana's son is just having the hardest time with the ups and downs of his mom's condition. He is talking to everyone for more but it is  so difficult.

I hope you have a wonderful  time  on your cruise.Bon Voyage!

P.S. I never got the covid tests either. They said they delivered  them. Hmmmm.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

29 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Had the same thing with USPS and my locked box. I complained but they never found the package. And recently I have found my mail on my porch by the door..... a sure sign it was put in someone else's box. They do not seem to be able to read.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

Just  got  home  from  my  trip to  the  cancer  clinic  with  my  Surgeon.

The  result  of  my  pet scan  was  neg  and  I  do  not  require  any  more  treatment.

She  wants  to  see  me  again  on  30th  may  2022.  I  am  so happy  with  news. 

Thank you  for support.

Jim,

• Like 34

6 minutes ago, irishjim said:

The  result  of  my  pet scan  was  neg  and  I  do  not  require  any  more  treatment.

She  wants  to  see  me  again  on  30th  may  2022.  I  am  so happy  with  news. 

Thank you  for support.

Jim,

Great news Jim! Congrats. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, irishjim said:

Thank you  for support.

Jim,

Wonderful news!

Edited by NextOne
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

@irishjimwonderful news for you!  I hope things continue in this positive direction.

@cruzn singleI'm so sorry to hear of your positive Covid test.  I hope it's mild and you are feeling better soon.  There's plenty to read on the Daily to keep you busy a while.

@Horizon chaser 1957odd that the 2022 Grand Africa isn't on the HAL website.  We cancelled it a week or so ago but it still shows in my account and the newly booked 2023 is there as well.  No idea how long it takes for cancelled cruises to drop off.  I hope there's some news soon on the Oct. 2022 GA so everyone can make some plans.

@Cruzin Terrigood luck at your two doctor appointments.  Have a good trip and let us know how everything goes.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, irishjim said:

Thank you  for support.

Jim,

How wonderful, Jim. Congratulations!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

42 minutes ago, durangoscots said:

Had the same thing with USPS and my locked box. I complained but they never found the package. And recently I have found my mail on my porch by the door..... a sure sign it was put in someone else's box. They do not seem to be able to read.

Sounds like our mail person -- although we did get our tests, but many times he/she puts the mail in the wrong box (all locked too).

29 minutes ago, irishjim said:

Thank you  for support.

Jim,

What wonderful news, Jim!  Congratulations!!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Like slot machines in Vegas, seems like wherever you go on Jeju Island, you will see some version of these funny looking stone statues.

165436646_Statue2b.jpg.3a0cb33acf121fec93311fab1b0d8ec9.jpg

They are the main symbol of Jeju Island, Dol Hareubang, literally meaning "Old Grandfather" stone statues and can be found everywhere on the island. Carved from the island’s porous volcanic rock, they stand up to three metres high. They’re easily recognizable thanks to their stylized shape: the sculptures all have bulging, pupil-less eyes on a grim or slightly smiling face, their hands rest atop their bellies, one slightly higher than the other, and all the sculptures wear mushroom-shaped hats that are often interpreted as phallic. Their origins are mysterious but are often attributed to the island’s shamanic traditions.

However, despite their wide appearance, a lack of historical documents has hampered the true understanding of the statues. 

Dol Hareubang appear all over Jeju Island in many forms — from souvenir magnets to orange juice bottles in the shape of the statues. The original stone sculptures are easy to come across and pop up in many tourist spots.

1412684329_Statue1.thumb.jpg.40144f56828b357869c9484ba968d578.jpg

Even as doorstops.

Doorstop.jpg.0caedb415522fccde609e78bfce9f743.jpg

We visited one park which displayed many different styles.

451895150_Stone3b.jpg.60b6852f2f6f834b8daf03419b20eaea.jpg

The park had various signage, but we had no idea what they were saying.

Sign1b.jpg.39f1925c425135fd4a869358befdbd43.jpg

Edited by GeorgeCharlie
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 4

48 minutes ago, irishjim said:

Thank you  for support.

Jim,

Wonderful news! 

22 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Sometimes even the most mundane chore such as taking out the trash has its rewards. 
6F864BE1-C839-4CE4-B1B4-D7FC12553880.jpeg.81f3d73566fcc4ad0a5023d055a154bf.jpeg

The beauty of nature!

@GeorgeCharlie Thanks for the pictures and explanation about the Dol Hareubang.

• Like 14