Room outlets

Here is a bizarre question.

I keep reading the limited amount of outlets in the room and the suggestion of bringing something to increase the usage such as mini- power strips.  Not sure if this is allowed.  But if it is, I have a cube power box with multiple usb slots that can help power our muliple phones and tablets without taking up a lot of outlet space. It does require a USA 3 prong plug.

Are the room outlets 2 or 3 prong outlets?

Also does anyone bring their own hair dryer, or just use what is available on the ship?

I really don't want to embarrass myself by blowing any room circuits by drawing too much power💥

FYI - Sailing on the Allure, if that matters.

Anything resembling an extension cord will be confiscated, and if your cube looks like the second one pictured here, it will probably be confiscated when you board.. RCL suites use a tower like the first one pictured, and we always pack one when we cruise, since they are allowed.

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

Edited by orville99

11 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

We bring this whenever we cruise 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06XSJ14CX/ref=sspa_mw_detail_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A15AM8MHT45F3Q&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9kZXRhaWw

Great to have for travel anywhere.

I always use hair dryer provided in cabin but do bring my own styling wand.

That device is actually dangerous on a ship because it has surge protection.  I don't know all the details, but @chengkp75 has described the reason.

• Like 3

We use this

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Charger-PowerPort-iPhone-Galaxy/dp/B00P936188/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1VNFDJAKHI0PC&keywords=usb%2Bcharging%2Bhub&qid=1644939199&sprefix=usb%2Bcharg%2Caps%2C136&sr=8-3&th=1

and it handles our iphones (2) and ipads (2)

This has a two prong cord, but I believe the cabin outlets do have three prong outlets.

Looking at the description on amazon, it says it is cruise friendly, but I am not certain I believe it.

Thinking  I may just be leaving this behind this trip.  No worries, more room in my suitcase for other non essentials that I really don't need to take.

Thanks for your help. 

614CkxmmyaL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

4 hours ago, Husky1987 said:

We use this

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Charger-PowerPort-iPhone-Galaxy/dp/B00P936188/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1VNFDJAKHI0PC&keywords=usb%2Bcharging%2Bhub&qid=1644939199&sprefix=usb%2Bcharg%2Caps%2C136&sr=8-3&th=1

and it handles our iphones (2) and ipads (2)

This has a two prong cord, but I believe the cabin outlets do have three prong outlets.

We use something like this also. It came in handy on our recent Mariner cruise since there were very few outlets in the cabin.

On 2/15/2022 at 10:15 AM, Sunshine3601 said:

We bring this whenever we cruise 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06XSJ14CX/ref=sspa_mw_detail_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A15AM8MHT45F3Q&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9kZXRhaWw

Great to have for travel anywhere.

I always use hair dryer provided in cabin but do bring my own styling wand.

That device should NOT be used on board.  Surge suppression on the ship may cause a fire.

"

• Built-in surge protection - protect your high end electronics from harmful voltage surges and spikes. Voltage indicator LEDs (110V or 220V) - one LED illuminates to indicate 110V in the outlets or both LEDs will illuminate to indicate 220V. Note: This is not a voltage converter

I carry and use this product.  Built in outlet converter. NOT surge suppressed.

One trick is, plug it into one of the Euro outlets to leave the US outlets free.  If I bring my laptop, I plug it in to this also, as it can run on 220 volts.  Or you could plug a US multioutlet USB charger into it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DJNR9LM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For clarification, the older ships have two 110 Volt and two 220 Volt plugs at the desk.  The new ships (such as the Anthem) also include USB power plugs at the desk, and an extra plug by the bed.

And, yes, I have had extension cords and power strips confiscated before a cruise.  That said, I picked up a similar plug-in device that converts a 100 Volt plug into two plugs (getting an extra plug available) and it also has a couple of USB power plugs.

As for your hair dryer, it is possible the one you bring may be confiscated since it creates heat.  That is why one is provided in your cabin.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/prohibited-items-onboard-policy

Jim

9 hours ago, SRF said:

That device should NOT be used on board.  Surge suppression on the ship may cause a fire.

"

• Built-in surge protection - protect your high end electronics from harmful voltage surges and spikes. Voltage indicator LEDs (110V or 220V) - one LED illuminates to indicate 110V in the outlets or both LEDs will illuminate to indicate 220V. Note: This is not a voltage converter

Wow, I had no idea this device was unsafe onboard.  I have used it on many cruises on serenade, allure, anthem, grandeur, etc to charge our phones and laptop.  

I have also used it on many land vacations too.

I will check out and probably order the one you recommend for our next b2b in march.

5 hours ago, matj2000 said:

I usually bring a couple of these.

20_outlet.jpg

Funny thing is we used similar in ARMY in early 80's, well maybe it was half the size. At most using one just outlet for the Coffeemaker, powered by a 60KW Generator. Overkill? Maybe, but had to have our morning Coffee...

• Like 3

On 2/15/2022 at 12:24 PM, LadyYadaYada said:

Looking at the description on amazon, it says it is cruise friendly, but I am not certain I believe it.

Thinking  I may just be leaving this behind this trip.  No worries, more room in my suitcase for other non essentials that I really don't need to take.

Thanks for your help. 

614CkxmmyaL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Some cruise lines allow extension cords. Royal does not. I think that this one would look to much like an extension cord. Your bags will be confiscated and you will spend time in [long] line at the naughty room getting your bag from security. 

We usually bring a simple 1 to 3 grounded converter plug which fits in one of the grounded 110V sockets.  That gives us 4 outlets to use and that is usually sufficient for recharging needs.  We also found a USB outlet on the side of the room phone (on Navigator) which also can be used.  Bringing an extension type cord or power strip seems too much to pack and may be confiscated depending upon the ship security protocols.  

Royal will provide an extension cord if you need one for say a cpap machine.  Do not bring anything that has a built in surge protector.  We use a safe plug that gives us extra USB ports.  Some of the ships have a usb on the phone by the bed too. I bring a straightener and a hair dryer.  I do keep in them in my carry on in case they question them and I do keep them unplugged when leaving the room.  No one has ever asked about them and to my knowledge I’ve never blown “a fuse”.

14 hours ago, babchia said:

As for your hair dryer, it is possible the one you bring may be confiscated since it creates heat.  That is why one is provided in your cabin.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/prohibited-items-onboard-policy

Please don't spread lies.  Hair appliances ARE permitted.  

10 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Wow, I had no idea this device was unsafe onboard.  I have used it on many cruises on serenade, allure, anthem, grandeur, etc to charge our phones and laptop.  

I have also used it on many land vacations too.

I will check out and probably order the one you recommend for our next b2b in march.

It is fine on land.

The ships electrical systems are different.  And surge suppressors get overloaded and heat up and cause fires.

Thank you for accepting that the device is not suitable and stopping using it.

The only complaint about the unit I linked is that the LED is fairly bright.  If you like a blue night light, it is great. 😄

But a piece of black tape fixed that in about 2 seconds. 😄

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brillohead said:

Please don't spread lies.  Hair appliances ARE permitted.  

From the RCI FAQ - NOTE: The only exception to this policy are curling irons and hair straighteners.

Hair dryers are NOT exempted.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SRF said:

It is fine on land.

The ships electrical systems are different.  And surge suppressors get overloaded and heat up and cause fires.

Thank you for accepting that the device is not suitable and stopping using it.

The only complaint about the unit I linked is that the LED is fairly bright.  If you like a blue night light, it is great. 😄

But a piece of black tape fixed that in about 2 seconds. 😄

Thank you for your help and advice.  🤩

unfortunately amazon shows the unit you have as unavailable.  I will look elsewhere and hopefully can find to have for our next b2b sailing end of March.

On 2/15/2022 at 9:47 AM, LadyYadaYada said:

Here is a bizarre question.

I keep reading the limited amount of outlets in the room and the suggestion of bringing something to increase the usage such as mini- power strips.  Not sure if this is allowed.  But if it is, I have a cube power box with multiple usb slots that can help power our muliple phones and tablets without taking up a lot of outlet space. It does require a USA 3 prong plug.

Are the room outlets 2 or 3 prong outlets?

Also does anyone bring their own hair dryer, or just use what is available on the ship?

I really don't want to embarrass myself by blowing any room circuits by drawing too much power💥

FYI - Sailing on the Allure, if that matters.

My wife brings her own hair dryer. She says the one provided does a fine job of drying her hair but it has a downside. You have to hold the button on to use it. The on/off button doesn't "click" to the on position. She says it's a pain in the a$$ to keep it on switching from hand to hand while drying her hair.

• Like 1