Zenith back in the Retreat

cruising teacher

I remember when Sky Suites were allowed access to Michael's Club they lost their limited complimentary specialty dining.   Zeniths were allowed access to Michaels Club when the concept as we know it now was first introduced.  

But I wonder if Zeniths will ever be given access to Michael's Club/Retreat Lounge simply due to the rising  number of Zeniths.  When we had our Zenith bridge event I asked one of the staff about the number of Zeniths.  To my surprise we were given a number.  In November 2020 when Zeniths were contacted by shoreside concierges regarding losing MC access as a perk the specific concierge who called us was the same one who called to welcome us to the Zenith CC loyalty level.  I asked her about the current number and she told me.  The number as of November 2020 was more than double than when we first became Zenith in 2016.

And a comment to @LGW59:  If it makes you feel better in the past we booked only Aqua, Sky Suites and Celebrity Suites.  All of our twelve future bookings are in Sky and Celebrity Suites.  

Celebrity has devalued their loyalty program as have all the airlines and other cruise lines.   Zeniths, with their status, already receive premium drinks anywhere on the ship.   They also receive internet and laundry regardless of the cabins they are in.    It’s still a wonderful loyalty program regardless of their ability to access the Retreat areas.   It also seems that the Suite cabins are always full so there is definitely a chance for overcrowding.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

I remember when Sky Suites were allowed access to Michael's Club they lost their limited complimentary specialty dining.   Zeniths were allowed access to Michaels Club when the concept as we know it now was first introduced.  

But I wonder if Zeniths will ever be given access to Michael's Club/Retreat Lounge simply due to the rising  number of Zeniths.  When we had our Zenith bridge event I asked one of the staff about the number of Zeniths.  To my surprise we were given a number.  In November 2020 when Zeniths were contacted by shoreside concierges regarding losing MC access as a perk the specific concierge who called us was the same one who called to welcome us to the Zenith CC loyalty level.  I asked her about the current number and she told me.  The number as of November 2020 was more than double than when we first became Zenith in 2016.

And a comment to @LGW59:  If it makes you feel better in the past we booked only Aqua, Sky Suites and Celebrity Suites.  All of our twelve future bookings are in Sky and Celebrity Suites.  

Thanks but you don't need to make me feel better.  Enjoy your cruise

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Northern Aurora said:

I remember when Sky Suites were allowed access to Michael's Club they lost their limited complimentary specialty dining.

Suites (not just Sky Suites) lost the 1 complimentary specialty dining (2 on longer cruises) when Luminae was introduced but the whole program was marketed as "The Suite Life".

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bigbenboys said:

Unless things have changed. Luminae is for Suites passengers or guest of Suites passengers only.

We're not discussing Luminae here.  Nobody is disputing that it is the dining room for suites and that Zeniths have never had Luminae privileges.  We are discussing the Retreat Lounge, a separate facility.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I'm wondering if you attitude would be different if Celebrity had decided to bar Sky Suite Guest like it was when the Suite Lounges were first open.     I suspect the SS would be up in arms claiming contract violation etc. 

I can assure you there was quite an uproar from the Upper Suite Guests when they first allowed SS in. 

And also when they allowed us Blue Chip, High rollers in

The posting on the Royal Caribbean cruise critic boards indicates that someone was informed that after March 15, Pinnacle Club members would be allowed into the equivalent of the Retreat Lounge on a space available basis (Royal reserved the right to deny Pinnacles access based on crowding). Whether this actually happens or not, we will see.

To put in perspective for some members on here, there are still Zenith members sailing on Celebrity who were Zenith in 2014 when Michaels Club became a Suite, Zenith, and VIP lounge. They had access to Michaels and then the Retreat Lounge on all Celebrity ships regardless of their stateroom from 2014 to 2020. Whether or not they deserve access now is a decision for Celebrity, but they received the benefit over the time frame from 2014 to 2020.

First tried suite class on RCCL and enjoyed the Coastal Kitchen until the lounge became so crowded there was no place to sit and service was slow. Then one evening we had to wait for a table for dinner, thought that was unusual, later found out it was due to more than the usual non suite Pinnacle passengers on our sailing. We decided to 'jump ship' after a suite Pinnacle was allowed to bring her emotional support animal in a baby stroller into the Coastal Kitchen. Now we gravitated to Celebrity. So far so good. The Retreat staff have kept protocols to a higher standard than suite class on RCCL. Haven't had any problems with service in MC or the Retreat lounge on either Equinox or Edge. Immediate seating for every meal (just do not come late on lobster night, understandable). And the one gentleman on a B2B (first week in the Penthouse, second week in a Royal) was respectful enough to always dine in his suite with his emotional support golden retriever. So far Celebrity is doing a better job catering to its suite guests.

• Like 1

How do you stop non suite Zenith passengers from accessing the Retreat Sun deck on E class ships?  You can enter the sun deck area from the Retreat lounge without key access.   

Q. Can Zenith members enjoy access to The Retreat Lounge?
A. Yes, Zenith members have full access to the Retreat Lounge.  However, only guests of The Retreat have access to Luminae and The Retreat Sundeck.

6 minutes ago, verizon said:
7 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

First tried suite class on RCCL and enjoyed the Coastal Kitchen until the lounge became so crowded there was no place to sit and service was slow. Then one evening we had to wait for a table for dinner, thought that was unusual, later found out it was due to more than the usual non suite Pinnacle passengers on our sailing. We decided to 'jump ship' after a suite Pinnacle was allowed to bring her emotional support animal in a baby stroller into the Coastal Kitchen. Now we gravitated to Celebrity. So far so good. The Retreat staff have kept protocols to a higher standard than suite class on RCCL. Haven't had any problems with service in MC or the Retreat lounge on either Equinox or Edge. Immediate seating for every meal (just do not come late on lobster night, understandable). And the one gentleman on a B2B (first week in the Penthouse, second week in a Royal) was respectful enough to always dine in his suite with his emotional support golden retriever. So far Celebrity is doing a better job catering to its suite guests.

Lisa Lutoff-Perlo

Banning Zeniths from Retreat Lounge wont solve the crowding in Retreat.

If they can only let the Celebrity suites Guests and above in will help.

This is what Royal Caribbean cruise line is doing Junior suite guests are not allow in Suite lounge.

Edited by verizon

But the issue is there isn't a crowding issue in the Retreat lounge 99.92% of the time.  On most sailings since the restart I've been on the Retreat lounge is often empty.   There are some events like the officers meet & greet where most everyone comes and even limiting to just suite guests doesn't solve the issue.

If there are that many Zeniths onboard to overcrowd the Retreat Lounge they should make alternate space available with the same services.

• Like 5

I never used The Retreat (or the Sundeck) when I booked suites so won't be using it if they do open it back up to Zeniths.  Prefer Ensemble Lounge, Martini Bar, and Cafe al Bacio; the seats are more comfortable.  The most Zeniths we had on my last few cruises was four.  Even if you aren't in a suite, the senior staff knows who you are.  They must study our photos.  I was joined for coffee or drinks by senior staff several times.

• Like 2

My opinion.  I often sail suites.  I have met a number of Zenith members in the old Michael's Club and in The Retreat.  They are quite often very interesting guests to get to know and have a conversation with about common cruise interests and other things.  I have learned a lot from them.  And many are really the nicest people you will meet on a cruise.  I will never make Zenith level but I do not for a second begrudge their access to The Retreat just because I decided to pay for a suite and they get it as an earned perk.  I welcome them back with full access.

• Like 10

13 hours ago, crusinthrough said:

How do you stop non suite Zenith passengers from accessing the Retreat Sun deck on E class ships?  You can enter the sun deck area from the Retreat lounge without key access.   

Q. Can Zenith members enjoy access to The Retreat Lounge?
A. Yes, Zenith members have full access to the Retreat Lounge.  However, only guests of The Retreat have access to Luminae and The Retreat Sundeck.

We almost travel in Suites so is not an issue but the Hosts know who the Zenith's are and those that are not in a suite (when were were allowed in Retreat as a non-suite guest).    Usually one of the hosts is on duty in the Retreat Sundeck and would simply remind (in a pleasant way) the restriction. 

Another quirk which I don't believe has changes is that drinks for all are available in The Retreat but on the Retreat Sun deck you have to use your drink package.   In the past when some suite guests didn't have packages it became an issue of complaint.

3 hours ago, TeeRick said:

My opinion.  I often sail suites.  I have met a number of Zenith members in the old Michael's Club and in The Retreat.  They are quite often very interesting guests to get to know and have a conversation with about common cruise interests and other things.  I have learned a lot from them.  And many are really the nicest people you will meet on a cruise.  I will never make Zenith level but I do not for a second begrudge their access to The Retreat just because I decided to pay for a suite and they get it as an earned perk.  I welcome them back with full access.

When I fly long flights, I go first class and I often travel with friends who fly coach/economy, by choice.  They are nice people as well but does not mean they should fly in first class if they did not pay for it.  Kind of like saying, gee I have flown on said airline XXX times, I have earned a seat in first class.  Sure, but you still need to pay for it.

• Like 3

On 3/1/2022 at 10:06 AM, omeinv said:

From this January 24, 2022 retreat FAQs, it would appear your hopes are dashed (The relevant portion is on page 2).

Harris

Denver, CO

CEL_The_Retreat_FAQs.pdf 682.7 kB · 84 downloads

What some may wonder is how old that PDF is, and if it is out of date (often happens with online X docs).  However, this one sports a 2022 copyright notice on the bottom.  If a Zenith, I'd have a copy in my back pocket when entering the lounge!

20 hours ago, LGW59 said:

When I fly long flights, I go first class and I often travel with friends who fly coach/economy, by choice.  They are nice people as well but does not mean they should fly in first class if they did not pay for it.  Kind of like saying, gee I have flown on said airline XXX times, I have earned a seat in first class.  Sure, but you still need to pay for it.

Don't quite see the analogy.  We have used our earned points/miles to fly first class in the US and Business Class internationally.  That is within the rules of most airline reward (loyalty) programs.  We have also paid for these seats too plenty of times.  

The airline analogy is more suited to the executive lounge rather than seat. Lounge access is usually granted based on either class of travel purchased (or allocated) or on loyalty status accrued - so someone who has achieved a premium loyalty status would be allowed into the lounge even on flights where they have paid rock bottom prices for a seat in coach/economy.

This model seems to map perfectly onto Michael's Club / Retreat Lounge access being given to suite class passengers or Zenith level CC members.

• Like 3

On 3/2/2022 at 7:29 AM, wrk2cruise said:

But the issue is there isn't a crowding issue in the Retreat lounge 99.92% of the time.  On most sailings since the restart I've been on the Retreat lounge is often empty.   There are some events like the officers meet & greet where most everyone comes and even limiting to just suite guests doesn't solve the issue.

If there are that many Zeniths onboard to overcrowd the Retreat Lounge they should make alternate space available with the same services.

Exactly my experience on Equinox and Edge since the restart. On Edge, in January, during the cocktail period, often there were maybe a dozen people. Plenty of room for suite guests and Zeniths.  

If they resume the Officers’ meet and greet, I expect the lounge will be full those nights. Frankly, other than those nights, I rarely find that the suite lounge is over crowded.

I think that the attendance in Retreat has also dropped with the advent of the drink packages.   In the past many guests both Suites and Zenith didn't have drink packages and would stop in per-dinner to pick up a glass of wine to take to the Dining room.    On recent cruises I haven't noticed this. 

I'm sure we are all different, but we usually don't attend the Captain and Senior Officer party in Retreat it is so busy and the timing is right for us.  Zenith's usually have a  luncheon with the Captain and his Senior Staff and find it much easier to get to chat with them over lunch.

• Like 1