Utopia of the Seas Blocks Are In The House!

6 hours ago, Fairsky84 said:

Good question. Liquified Natural Gas is basically methane that can only be safely transported as a liquid which requires the gas to be cooled -260 degrees F. At that temperature, LNG cannot burn or explode. Those huge tanks are refrigerated and insulated to keep the LNG in liquid form. However, if the system fails and the temperature rises, the LNG will quickly boil into a gas. This is extremely dangerous as the pressure build-up from the rapidly expanding gas will cause a massive explosion that would destroy the entire ship (not an exaggeration). 

Therefore, as a safety precaution, LNG powered ships have an emergency vent that allows the gas from the tanks to be quickly released to avoid an explosion. This is the smaller "exhaust funnel" directly above the tanks in the center of the ship. It's not actually for engine exhaust, but for "boil over gas" and only needed in an emergency. 

BTW, a lot has been written about the dangers of transporting LNG with some cities even banning LNG ships from their harbors. An accident on an LNG tanker could level a good portion of a city. You can read more here

Well, that is enough to make me appreciate a little soot falling onto the decks.😯😇

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Fairsky84 said:

Good question. Liquified Natural Gas is basically methane that can only be safely transported as a liquid which requires the gas to be cooled -260 degrees F. At that temperature, LNG cannot burn or explode. Those huge tanks are refrigerated and insulated to keep the LNG in liquid form. However, if the system fails and the temperature rises, the LNG will quickly boil into a gas. This is extremely dangerous as the pressure build-up from the rapidly expanding gas will cause a massive explosion that would destroy the entire ship (not an exaggeration). 

Therefore, as a safety precaution, LNG powered ships have an emergency vent that allows the gas from the tanks to be quickly released to avoid an explosion. This is the smaller "exhaust funnel" directly above the tanks in the center of the ship. It's not actually for engine exhaust, but for "boil over gas" and only needed in an emergency. 

BTW, a lot has been written about the dangers of transporting LNG with some cities even banning LNG ships from their harbors. An accident on an LNG tanker could level a good portion of a city. You can read more here

Oh wow, so that exhaust is basically a massive pop-off valve. 

Hope they don't have the smoking zone near that. O.O

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2022 at 10:48 AM, John&LaLa said:

Harmony solves that problem quite nicely in my opinion

20220408_120935.thumb.jpg.1866e9a2b8cfdcdff8dd846189f1268c.jpg

Unfortunately, the divers take over in the early morning and the not-swimming "swimmers" float around  afterward, so not really any opportunity for lap swimmers to use the sports pool.

13 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Unfortunately, the divers take over in the early morning and the not-swimming "swimmers" float around  afterward, so not really any opportunity for lap swimmers to use the sports pool.

You must have bad luck. Other than 5 minutes of lifeguard drills, I had the pool to myself every moring I was out there

• 2 weeks later...

With Utopia. Are we looking at a clone of Wonder OTS with LNG instead or is she going to have any unique features? I know some of the features that are coming but I want to hear your opinions on what you would like to see onboard Utopia Of The Seas!!

On 5/5/2022 at 6:20 AM, Nathan Graveson said:

With Utopia. Are we looking at a clone of Wonder OTS with LNG instead or is she going to have any unique features? I know some of the features that are coming but I want to hear your opinions on what you would like to see onboard Utopia Of The Seas!!

if you know already just tell us 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/6/2022 at 9:44 PM, crewsweeper said:

My guess is that UOTS will be a clone of IOTS, both retaining some similar venues as WOTS, but new or other popular Oasis class things added.as well.  

That’s interesting,a hybrid of oasis and Icon?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Photos from the Utopia of the Seas keel-laying ceremony at Saint-Nazaire. Also, a photo of some Utopia pieces:

Sources:

Pic 1: https://travelweekly.co.uk/news/tourism/royal-caribbean-completes-keel-laying-for-utopia-of-the-seas

Pic 2: https://www.instagram.com/thecruiseshipwallysofficial/

Pic 3: https://twitter.com/LoyaltoRoyal_/status/1541146625384513536/photo/1

Screen Shot 2022-07-01 at 12.54.35 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-01 at 12.55.09 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-01 at 12.56.05 PM.png

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 4/8/2022 at 6:00 PM, Fairsky84 said:

A small but important detail from an image at the steel cutting ceremony. You can see the addition of an exhaust for the LNG tanks in the center of the ship. It's located on the bridge that connects the pool deck above Central Park. However, this exhaust will need to go all the way down to the LNG tanks in the bottom of the hull meaning Utopia's Central Park might be much smaller than on other Oasis-class ships or split into two sections. So, the large opening in the middle of the ship won't be the same on Utopia. This is part of the challenge of adding LNG to a ship that was not originally designed for it.

low_1649366850_A35-000-05-04-2022-Steel-cutting-ceremony-25.jpg

This here ship Icon of the seas an exhaust for the LNG tanks in the center of the ship:

IMG_20220811_170121.jpg

Edited by DaniMSCRoyal_85
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, taglovestocruise said:

But far less crowded than many smaller Royal ships.

Actually, no. According to cruise ship mapper, the capacity rankings of all Royal Caribbean ships are about the same, regardless of size. Yes, there are more passengers and more crew, but the ships themselves are just that much larger. 150,000/10000 is the same ratio as 75,000/5000.

Everything from Radiance & Voyager classes up to Oasis and Quantum Ultra are all about 34-36, and the older smaller ships are actually worse (25-32).

The site only shows max capacity (>100%) numbers, but using their formula, at minimum 100% capacity, Icon will actually have the highest rating (44) than any other RC class, Oasis (41), Voyager (38), 

On 5/4/2022 at 3:20 PM, Nathan Graveson said:

They'll deliver a paper Compass every evening to each stateroom/suite.  😉

Any chance Utopia will have the telescoping funnels à la Oasis and Allure? I'd love to get a brand new ship up here in NYC, especially since Icon won't fit under the Verrazzano-Narrows Bridge. Oasis is nice post-refresh, but the aging rooms left a lot to be desired.

• Like 2