Got COVID on April 9th-16th Apex sailing

hooskydo

We were on the Apex April 2 and April 9 sailings.  We both tested negative last day of April 2 sailing.  I tested myself 3-times on the April 9 sailing and negative each time.  I tested because I had a scratchy cough. Tested again at home on April 21 and still negative.  DW tested positive on April 21.  Timing suggests she contacted COVID when back at home at work as a school teacher with room full of Kids all returning from spring break travels.  Looks like we were safer on a cruise ship with vaccinated travel partners vs. being at home.

We were in a Villa week 1 and the Iconic Suite week 2 and ate in all the specialty restaurants and luminiae.  Use the spa almost every day.  Mostly used our suite hot tubs, but did use the other pools and hot tubs a couple of times.

Background: We are both fully vaccinated and 1-booster.  We both contracted COVID late December when on HAL Mexico cruise.  Self tested positive the day we arrived home.  Hum.... so much for the thought that cruising is safer than being in class room of unmasked kids.

Will we cruise again?  HECK YEA!  Going to get another booster and plan on living each day to it's fullest.

Cheers

🥂

• Like 5

2 hours ago, ciera123 said:

If it’s a simple head cold or runny nose, let the medical staff test. If negative, go about your business and do as you want. If it’s positive, have some consideration for others and isolate. It’s really pretty simple. 

Not trying to be confrontational or rude... but please don't assume that everyone with a runny nose might have Covid.  Some of us have chronic allergy issues, and even taking medication, carry around a tissue at all times.  If I tested every time I had a runny nose for the past 2 yrs of Covid, I would have tested several times a day... lol

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, twincheryl said:

Not trying to be confrontational or rude... but please don't assume that everyone with a runny nose might have Covid.  Some of us have chronic allergy issues, and even taking medication, carry around a tissue at all times.  If I tested every time I had a runny nose for the past 2 yrs of Covid, I would have tested several times a day... lol

LOL - sitting here with a tissue readily available  The pollen count is high today.. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, twincheryl said:

I also have year-round allergies, the point I was making was, that if someone has a sudden sore throat or congestion, that they shouldn’t “assume” it’s just a cold. I think those of us with chronic allergies would know if something is different or new to us. The post I quoted was saying that if you have cold symptoms, just carry on, and that’s not the World we live in anymore. 😊

Edited by ciera123
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, ciera123 said:

This is the exact “thinking” that will get cruising shut down again. I certainly hope most people aren’t this selfish!!! 

Cruising is the only vacation model that is subject to these rules.  All inclusive resorts (Sandles/Beaches, any Marriott/Hyatt/Four Seasons) where everyone stays on property is subject to the same covid risk as a ship. 

would love to see the covid rates at land based properties.  No one is tested in any way shape or form and it is the same demographic .  I think in general norovirus was just as common in land resorts as cruise ships - you just never heard about it 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, tfred said:

Cruising is the only vacation model that is subject to these rules.  All inclusive resorts (Sandles/Beaches, any Marriott/Hyatt/Four Seasons) where everyone stays on property is subject to the same covid risk as a ship. 

would love to see the covid rates at land based properties.  No one is tested in any way shape or form and it is the same demographic .  I think in general norovirus was just as common in land resorts as cruise ships - you just never heard about it 

Totally agree! With Noro, seems like the only reporting was on a cruise ship. 🙁

I’ll be cruising week of May 7th and signed up for cabin hop, there’s supposed to be 30 people. I think I’ll cancel and let them know, the thought of being in a cabin with a crowd doesn’t sound safe at this time . Also, if someone does test positive then I’ll probably have to get tested due to contact tracing. I just got my second booster Monday due to my asthma and will be wearing mask at airport, on plane and most areas of ship.

• Like 3

If DH was not made aware of a contact he had with a person diagnosed with Covid, he would not have self-tested here at home. He never had a fever and the dry coughing, sneezing he had for a few days would have been ignored as a mild cold. His first test the day following his known exposure was negative, but four days later he tested positive.

That is the problem with this crazy virus. It is too easy to never imagine you’ve got it without having symptoms or being aware of exposure.

So far I feel fine with 2 negative tests taken several days apart.

Happy we cruised in the “bubble” last September. My good friend is concerned about her Alaska cruise this September that she booked for her 3 adult children, their spouses/significant other and her 8 year old grandson because of possible positive tests pre-boarding or getting the virus on the Millennium.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tfred said:

Actually, that’s not entirely true….

There are a LOT of 5 star resorts throughout the Caribbean where you can have all of your meals outside. While you might not be able to try all of the restaurants on offer, depending on the resort you’ll do just fine.

People can bend, crush and twist the science to their liking as much as they like but if you’re dining indoors ANYWHERE - ship, restaurant, banquet hall and the table next to you has active Covid, you’re at high risk. With the new Omicron 2 sub variant seen in New York State, the transmissibility is roughly equivalent to that of measles.

I have been HIGHLY impressed by the civility of the discussions here but you can’t get around the basic fact - unless you’re willing to have ALL of your meals outside AND wear an N95 at the buffet to get your food (to protect yourself from the people eating around you), there’s moderate risk of your getting Covid.

This is the scientific truth on April the 23rd - will this apply 6 weeks from now? Dunno!

Who had heard of Omicron at Thanksgiving?!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, tfred said:

would love to see the covid rates at land based properties.  No one is tested in any way shape or form and it is the same demographic . 

I just spent a week at an all inclusive in Cabo Mexico (Grand Velas - family resort with many incentive corporate groups).  Everyone returning to the US is tested the day before departure to get on the plane. They said they've not had one positive test this year. I ate every meal outside, all bars outside, took open steps, lobby was open air. Only the restroom was  enclosed, and I wore a mask. 

Edited by JFontaine
  • Like 2

On 4/21/2022 at 4:54 PM, cangelmd said:

Very good question, I doubt very seriously they have any interest in hearing from us. Public health officials highly encourage self reporting positive home tests. There are so many positive home tests now, it is thought that is affecting the overall case numbers. I didnt report my positive test, in my state I'm not certain there is anyone to report it to, and I'm an MD.

Maryland has self-reporting for home tests. My wife and I both reported ours. We received automated text messages daily from the Department of Health. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JFontaine said:

I just spent a week at an all inclusive in Cabo Mexico (Grand Velas - family resort with many incentive corporate groups).  Everyone returning to the US is tested the day before departure to get on the plane. They said they've not had one positive test this year.

Impossible. Also widely known that for $50 you can you a COVID test with whatever result you want….

One of the entertainers from Apex posted today that there were 100+ positive crew transferred from Apex to Infinity to isolate for the week. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, JFontaine said:

I just spent a week at an all inclusive in Cabo Mexico (Grand Velas - family resort with many incentive corporate groups).  Everyone returning to the US is tested the day before departure to get on the plane. They said they've not had one positive test this year. I ate every meal outside, all bars outside, took open steps, lobby was open air. Only the restroom was  enclosed, and I wore a mask. 

I’m also leaving a resort tomorrow in Playa del Carmen.  Had my US required Covid test today, negative.  I asked when I got tested, how many positives have you had, 0!  I don’t believe it but cest la vie, I’ve got the documentation I need.  Oh it was also a baby swab, would not have bothered an infant.

Edited by LGW59
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, JFontaine said:

I just spent a week at an all inclusive in Cabo Mexico (Grand Velas - family resort with many incentive corporate groups).  Everyone returning to the US is tested the day before departure to get on the plane. They said they've not had one positive test this year. 

I really hope you don't believe this. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, schittenden said:

Maryland has self-reporting for home tests. My wife and I both reported ours. We received automated text messages daily from the Department of Health. 

That is great, I hope they publicize self-reporting. I should clarify, the Public Health does want to hear from positive home tests. I was referring to Celeb doesn’t really want to know!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Peteymil said:

I really hope you don't believe this. 

Not one report on TripAdvisor or social media of anyone quarantined in the resort or sick when they got home. So even if the tests are "fixed" or the resort employee lied, where are the guest reports?  I've been to this resort three times since April 2021, and on cruises twice (Crystal and Celebrity), and there's no comparison in my mind between the risk of the two vacations. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cangelmd said:

That is great, I hope they publicize self-reporting. I should clarify, the Public Health does want to hear from positive home tests. I was referring to Celeb doesn’t really want to know!

That depends on where you live.

Locally, the health department did not want to know about out positive home tests - "Too unreliable" was their response.

I am not surprised. How us can we hide the actual numbers in the state.

On 4/21/2022 at 9:58 AM, TeeRick said:

So sorry to hear you got infected!  Hope you feel better!   It seems a lot of people cruising are doing everything recommended.  Vaccines and boosters.  Proper masks.  Socially distancing and responsible. But still get infected (even if minor symptoms).   You are the first report I know here of someone on Paxlovid.  Good luck!

I had covid last week (no idea where I got it, perhaps at work 6 days before I tested positive). I have no health issues and am 54, my Pfizer booster (I had Pfizer, considered getting Moderna but it wasn’t available) was October so was definitely due for the 4th shot. But in January my partner and I were both exposed, same mild flu symptoms, he tested positive and I did not (omicron 1?)  So I was surprised to get so sick and flemmy that I had a tough time breathing deeply (omicron 2? No idea). The Paxlovid (which I had to wait a day for because even though my insurance covered, my usual pharmacy couldn’t code it, so I had to find another pharmacy) was a game changer. Within 1-2 hours I was considerably better and was breathing freely. In fact, every time I took it, I advanced meaningfully (and quickly) but then stayed feeling the same level of symptoms until the next dose.  And then stayed the same for over a week after the final dose, still sick but so much better.  I think every passenger should have Paxlovid with them so they can start it right away….I am not sure why it is so limited right now, there is supposedly plenty of supply.  The bitter taste in my mouth for a week was unpleasant but worth it.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, renji said:

I had covid last week (no idea where I got it, perhaps at work 6 days before I tested positive). I have no health issues and am 54, my Pfizer booster (I had Pfizer, considered getting Moderna but it wasn’t available) was October so was definitely due for the 4th shot. But in January my partner and I were both exposed, same mild flu symptoms, he tested positive and I did not (omicron 1?)  So I was surprised to get so sick and flemmy that I had a tough time breathing deeply (omicron 2? No idea). The Paxlovid (which I had to wait a day for because even though my insurance covered, my usual pharmacy couldn’t code it, so I had to find another pharmacy) was a game changer. Within 1-2 hours I was considerably better and was breathing freely. In fact, every time I took it, I advanced meaningfully (and quickly) but then stayed feeling the same level of symptoms until the next dose.  And then stayed the same for over a week after the final dose, still sick but so much better.  I think every passenger should have Paxlovid with them so they can start it right away….I am not sure why it is so limited right now, there is supposedly plenty of supply.  The bitter taste in my mouth for a week was unpleasant but worth it.  

Thanks for the Paxlovid report.  It seems like everybody is overlooking this drug and the fact that a true, covid-specific antiviral drug could be the game-changer we need to get cruising back to normal.  It should be carried on all ships.

• Like 4

On 4/21/2022 at 9:58 AM, TeeRick said:

So sorry to hear you got infected!  Hope you feel better!   It seems a lot of people cruising are doing everything recommended.  Vaccines and boosters.  Proper masks.  Socially distancing and responsible. But still get infected (even if minor symptoms).   You are the first report I know here of someone on Paxlovid.  Good luck!

Hi Rick.  Just wanted to update you on my Paxlovid journey.  Today, four days after testing + I had two negative tests.  I still need to finish two more rounds of Paxlovid. I know a couple of friends that have  been treated with Paxlovid, all of them with only one booster, all tested negative two days after finishing the treatment.  I think  my second booster helped me beat this faster.  BTW, my husband, is still negative... he swears the wine gave him some extra protection. 😄  He must be right, because I didn't let my guard down and  he didn't use the mask all the time like I did. 🙄 Maybe some day, antivirals will be available in the  ship's infirmary. Still, timing of your booster can make a big difference, mine was too close to our cruise, but I didn't have any other option.  

IMG_7657.jpg

• Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Thanks for the Paxlovid report.  It seems like everybody is overlooking this drug and the fact that a true, covid-specific antiviral drug could be the game-changer we need to get cruising back to normal.  It should be carried on all ships.

My DW just completed five days of Paxlovid after testing positive the day after exiting the Equinox on April 15, 2022. She is much better. We had a very hard time finding a pharmacy who had the drug. Should be in abundant supply with few Covid cases.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, RedneckBob said:

My DW just completed five days of Paxlovid after testing positive the day after exiting the Equinox on April 15, 2022. She is much better. We had a very hard time finding a pharmacy who had the drug. Should be in abundant supply with few Covid cases.

we live in Delray Beach and only found it at CVS. Walgreens - no go