Do you have to use your phone most everything onboard?

30 minutes ago, nelblu said:

You do not need the phone to make any reservations.  If you want specialty dining, just go to any restaurant.   Theatre do not require reservations, it's on first come first served basis.  Other shows which require reservations there are usually staff in one of the venues that makes all of these reservations.  On Anthem April 17 sail the "Box Office Show & Activities Reservations" was in Boleros Lounge on the 5th deck.

Tried using the App and had no success in reserving the Northern Star.   As soon as the reserves opened at 8AM, all the time slots were sold out.  Happened 3 days in a row and finally frustrated went to the D lounge Concierge for help.  He was successful in getting my reservations.

I was not alone in encountering this problem.  Ps.  Northern Star is complementary on port days and a charge of $19.99 pp on sea days.  The sea day version is called "extended" and goes side to side over the water.

A bit of smirk.  My son and his family were not getting the paper Daily Planner and had to use the App instead.  I was getting mine every night as was customary.  My son asked their cabin attendant why they were not getting the paper version.  They were told that only those 65+ had the right to paper planners. 😊

That's funny.  I'm in my 50s and had paper copy delivered every day.  

But I ordered for our Son and his Fiance to receive and they never got one.

I refuse to use/keep my phone while on board...I work in tech and am on my phone nearly 24/7....started cruising as a respite from it.  It's always a little clumsy the first time in the MDR or speciality restaurant now though since they did away with menus unless you specifically say you want one and instead want you to scan QR codes EVERYWHERE to see what to order (even at many bars).....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

We don't have phones, and don't feel a need for them.  For our February cruise, we presented our docs on paper, and all was good.  Onboard we were given paper menus and cruise compasses without any question.  The lady at our table who carried a phone said she preferred the paper menus.  We never felt like we missed anything.

Let me guess - you also walked 2 miles to school in the snow 🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Loved getting the next days cruise 🚢 compass 🧭 on our bed, then highlighter all next days activities!
Boomer here!

Gonna miss printed paper, but understand the savings In not having em! My old hands don’t move my old fingers too good for smart phones.
Now these skinny wrist youngsters have no problem flicking away!

31 minutes ago, Janet524 said:

I lock my phone up in the safe the minute I get to my cabin and don't take it out until the morning of disembarkation.  I've managed just fine with reservations, etc.  Ask my cabin attendant to provide a paper copy of the Cruise Compass, and if necessary, check the display screens near elevators on each deck for any other info I may need.  One of the things I've always loved about cruising was being completely out of touch with the real world.  I don't even want to watch any news.  It's all bad anyway - don't need that downer!

Same here.  Not being connected is one of the things I enjoy most about cruising.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Janet524 said:

I lock my phone up in the safe the minute I get to my cabin and don't take it out until the morning of disembarkation.  I've managed just fine with reservations, etc.  Ask my cabin attendant to provide a paper copy of the Cruise Compass, and if necessary, check the display screens near elevators on each deck for any other info I may need.  One of the things I've always loved about cruising was being completely out of touch with the real world.  I don't even want to watch any news.  It's all bad anyway - don't need that downer!

+1, We were on Navigator a few months ago. Kept the phone in the safe for most days. Took  it out to take a few pictures on Catalina island and a few pics around the ship.  No need for a phone on a ship.

3 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

No paper cruise compasses?!?  😱

Isn't highlighting the next day's events with an old fashioned highlighter one of every cruiser's favorite nightly activities?

Jeez I must be getting old.

It was my favorite nightly activity (before going out for food, drinks and socialization)!!!

Edited by 2chiefs

I use my iPad to check email a few times, but hardly pick up my phone. I don’t find the app that useful, definitely not worth carrying a phone around (plus, there are at least a couple of large touch screens with deck layouts, dining options, and the schedule on every deck at the front and back of each deck)

1 hour ago, Janet524 said:

That's exactly how we handled our cruises! The phone is locked up for the duration. I guess we'll see how it is with the phones now. Perhaps look at them once a day and put them back in the safe....

The great debate.....but really, does it matter that much?  My phone, is my newspaper, my map, my info desk, sends me a beep when a show will start, that I asked it to, gets me awake when I take a nap.  It's my personal assistant in one little package.  Not to mention, my camera and video recorder. What's for dinner?  Oh, look, I don't have to walk to the dining room to see the menu on the wall.  What about in port, and I'm looking for a place, or want to see local restaurants?  

Being disconnected from work, does not mean you need to be disconnected from life.  Phones are a tool, to be used to simplify life.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

The great debate.....but really, does it matter that much?  My phone, is my newspaper, my map, my info desk, sends me a beep when a show will start, that I asked it to, gets me awake when I take a nap.  It's my personal assistant in one little package.  Not to mention, my camera and video recorder. What's for dinner?  Oh, look, I don't have to walk to the dining room to see the menu on the wall.  What about in port, and I'm looking for a place, or want to see local restaurants?  

Being disconnected from work, does not mean you need to be disconnected from life.  Phones are a tool, to be used to simplify life.

Disconnected from life? Of course. And there's the social aspect of it:

image.png.10e538dc2e5db68d7f9faa471190b18d.png

Edited by 2chiefs
  • Like 2

We don't cruise with internet (normally) but we still take our phones with us.  I found that the camera on my phone can easily rival my small camera (unless I want to use the zoom lens) and even beats my small camera for night time photos.  Plus I like the idea that the ship doesn't have to print thousands of Cruise Compasses each night.  Having the Cruise Compass on the app is one less thing I need to carry with me.

Now if they could add in the feature to the app that I could pre-order my meal in the MDR before I arrive and just have the waitstaff verify that is still what I want, it would speed up the process.

Edited by Rewind

1 hour ago, deliver42 said:

We sailed on the Wonder last month, and never used our phone. Made show reservations, ate in specialty dining, and did excursions. Royal gives hard copies for everything.

That is great!   I guess we are into saving a few trees, we don’t need paper for anything.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sun Lover said:

From what I've been reading, it seems like you have to use the apps now for a lot of things, such as booking shows, the cruise compass, reservations, etc.  I usually don't have my phone with me most of the time on a cruise.  If I go to the pool, I love to be able to just bring a very small bag with some sunscreen and my seapass card. Would I really need to have my phone with me most of the time?

Its completely up to you.  You can use it to book shows or dinners the first day and then write it down somewhere utilizing the ship wifi for the royal app.  You can look at the app each morning to see if anything is new or added.  Or you can stick with the compass and phone, guest services, restaurant booking...etc...  Royal makes it easy for everyone. Whatever you are comfortable with.  For myself, I live and die with my phone and surface pro yet I do like to read the compass in bed at night out of habit.

4 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

Disconnecting from work really depends on what you do. Not everyone has it so easy and some are completely tense over phone notifications. I am glad it is an option but also glad it isn't completely necessary.

8 hours ago, Tlbecker1 said:

You really need your phone in order for you not to miss things.  Select everything that you want to do, it will be added to your calendar and your phone will alert you 15 minutes prior to the event.  Reserve all of your shows, check all of the menus.  So much more efficient.😀

You ABSOLUTELY do not need a phone to do ANYTHING  on the ship. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, dodgestang said:

I refuse to use/keep my phone while on board...I work in tech and am on my phone nearly 24/7....started cruising as a respite from it.  It's always a little clumsy the first time in the MDR or speciality restaurant now though since they did away with menus unless you specifically say you want one and instead want you to scan QR codes EVERYWHERE to see what to order (even at many bars).....

This is how I cruise. I miss the days when cruises didn't have all the screen zombies or  narcissist  selfie takers. I always ask for the menu because my phone is in the safe turned off!

4 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

Let me walk straight through a crowded walking area with a long pointy knife in front of me. It's just a tool. Staring at your phone screen and walking into my "tool" is no problem? 

8 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

On our last couple of sailings reservations were recommended and everyone kept saying have to make a reservation, we did it once and saw there was no one even at the doorway checking so we never bothered with any reservations after that.   Now that was end of march when ship was sailing around 80% capacity so I am sure that comes into play too.

When I was on Allure in January they did check for reservations. This week the only place they checked was the comedy club and, I think, the Aqua Theater.

The bottom line is if you are one that doesn't want to use your phone on a cruise there are ways to make that happen. If you are the type that embraces how your phone can enhance your life no one will stop you. My phone used to go in the safe. But just as it is with me just about every where else in life, it has also joined me on cruises. I find it to be a great tool, others may not.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1