Would RCCL let me bring aboard two 1-liter bottles of wine?

I do understand that the usual limit is 2 750ml bottles of wine which can be brought aboard.

I like a particular Italian wine that, to my knowledge, only comes in 1 liter bottles.  It's not the double-sized 1.5 liter bottles, but rather, just a bit larger than the normal bottle.

If I tried to bring this aboard would they likely:

1. Waive it through.

2. Confiscate it.

3. Allow it only if an additional fee is paid at the time of boarding.

16 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

I do understand that the usual limit is 2 750ml bottles of wine which can be brought aboard.

I like a particular Italian wine that, to my knowledge, only comes in 1 liter bottles.  It's not the double-sized 1.5 liter bottles, but rather, just a bit larger than the normal bottle.

If I tried to bring this aboard would they likely:

1. Waive it through.

2. Confiscate it.

3. Allow it only if an additional fee is paid at the time of boarding.

You didn't say if you were trying to bring one or two bottles

My Guess would actually be option number 4, Hold it until you get off the ship at the end of the cruise. But I am not 100% sure

I definitely do not see #3 as an option AT ALL 

Edited by LilBlackDress
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, LilBlackDress said:

You didn't say if you were trying to bring one or two bottles

My Guess would actually be option number 4, Hold it until you get off the ship at the end of the cruise. But I am not 100% sure

I definitely do not see #3 as an option AT ALL 

I'd potentially try to bring 2 bottles.  Wouldn't do so unless the odds were in my favor.

5 hours ago, little britain said:

Option 5: Buy the 2x litre bottles, drink a bit. Decant the remaining wine into 2x 75cl bottles. Screw tops obviously. 

I've had success re sealing wine bottles with a cork. Just need the plastic seals and a hair dryer

• Like 3

2 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

I've had success re sealing wine bottles with a cork. Just need the plastic seals and a hair dryer

...and naturally it would only be wine being recanted into those bottles.........😄😉

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

In Baltimore, they check very closely, even looking to see if the screw top has been loosened.  DH has a mouth guard he wears for sleep apnea and brings a bottle of vinegar to clean it (once a week).  We were on EN for 20 days so he needed it.  They inspected that thing like their lives depended on it.  I offered to let them taste it lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

20 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

It all depends on who the agent checking is. 

It certainly does!  On all three of our recent cruises since October (2 from NJ / 1 from FL) only once did they even open our carryon which, along with the wine, had several bottles of water and soda in it.  And the one time they did open it they only wanted to check a tablet charger and some other phone connectors. Never even looked at the bottles. Go figure!

Will see what happens in June from FL.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Thanks 1

one liter is 1/3 more than 750ml. The difference in size should stand out to anybody checking for alcohol being brought on the ship. What they do about it is anybody’s guess. Like the saying, “It’s only against the rules if you get caught.”

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Choozin Croozin said:

Wow, I thought those were pretty safe. 

Me too. They said they could see the outline in the x-ray machines.  I think he said the plastic caps show up.

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Stockjock said:

I took this pic on Carnival 5 years ago.  I tried to sneak booze aboard using Rum Runners.  They flagged my bag and then smiled as they poured it out.

That hurt.

23517514_10212401802374031_8026117380754540123_n.jpg

Carry on, or checked bag?

13 hours ago, xxHadleyxx said:

I've seen them stop and confiscate (to return at the end if a sailing) one liter bottles. I've also heard of them going through without comment. Probably depends on who is working security at the moment.

Same here, couple times. Just depends who is checking and yes they were held

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stockjock said:

Checked bag.  I got a call to go to the security desk.  I was surprised that they could see them.

We've never had any problem with carryons.... you know, if we were to use them, which of course we do not.  🙂

Just a thought .......Give them a red herring..........something else very obvious to catch so that they will by-pass the bottles in your carry on.  Things that immediately pop in my mind - a clothes iron, clothes steamer, slew of old electrical extension cords, adult toys, etc.  No idea if it would work - any opinions?

• Haha 5