To Mask or not to Mask that is the question ?

Going on Anthem next week departing from Southampton and for some reason I feel more nervous than when I flew all the way to Barbados for a 2 week cruise.

As masks are now only personal preference and all the cases that seem to be on other ships , I think I will keep wearing one while on board in busy areas , I know its down to personal preference but have all you latest cruisers being wearing masks??

Just got off Anthem this morning. Hardly anyone was wearing one on the 2-night weekend cruise to Le Havre.

Bottom line - Covid isn’t going anywhere and will get on to ships regardless of vaccination, testing and masking protocols. There will always be a risk of catching it, as there is on land. Only you can decide whether that risk is worth it and, if so, what measures you take to avoid catching it.

Edited by gumshoe958
  • Like 3

Do whatever makes you feel comfortable & I wouldn’t factor in what anyone else is doing.

Have my 1st cruise since 2019 2 weeks from today & feel very similar to you but will decide over the next 2 weeks.

• Like 1

I don't care what others think. I masked with N95s on plane and KN95s on ship outside my cabin on my cruise earlier in May. Brought a small tray to get food from buffet and ate in my cabin. Crew members were required to wear KN95s and many were double masked. 99.9% of passengers were unmasked. Masking didn't cause any enjoyment loss for me.

• Like 6

We are due on Jewel next weeks for 12 night Iceland and Ireland and are having the mask discussion at present. My wife has been ill recently and this cruise is in part for some recuperation so we may wear them in some very busy areas - certainly at the airports and on the plane. We will judge for ourselves onboard and do what feels right for us- everyone should do the same.

Who's name is on the boarding pass?  Yours  Who paid for the cruise?  You did  

You do what YOU feel is right for you!  DW and I are fully vaccinated and boosted, we still wear a mask when we find it necessary to go inside a store (mostly do pickups).  We still take all sanitary precautions.  We have had some tell us that it is time to "relax" and our answer to those, including family, is do what is right for you and we'll do what makes us comfortable.  

Have a wonderful time on your cruise.

• Like 9

We will wear them. We know the risk is pretty small, but the risk of not finishing the cruise on our terms…  well. 

Not sure why people make such a big deal about other people who wear one. It’s almost as bad as lanyards or not, lol. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, alfaeric said:

We will wear them. We know the risk is pretty small, but the risk of not finishing the cruise on our terms…  well. 

Not sure why people make such a big deal about other people who wear one. It’s almost as bad as lanyards or not, lol. 

We intend to wear them on our Anthem cruise next month. I would prefer to minimise the risk of having to isolate, plus we’re on Wonder two weeks later and I REALLY don’t want to miss that.

• Like 2

We just got off Allure yesterday, our 10th cruise since August.  We wore masks in the terminal for checkin as it was very crowded and there is no longer any “social distancing”.   The man behind us in line stepped on the back of  my flip flops twice!   I did not wear one, for the most part, on the ship and saw very few people, other than crew, wearing them.

Sherri 🙂

• Like 1

Hi

Yes. Do what makes you feel comfortable. Personally, when in a crowd, it makes me feel more comfortable to wear a mask. Easy. It's not like it's a dress code where some will always complain.

• Like 4

We’re wearing masks for the most part on our cruise that leaves tomorrow….it’s not getting Covid which would stink that’s are main concern since we’re vaxxed and double booster but it’s getting Covid and having to quarantine on the ship which would really stink or like the 200 guests on the Carnival Spirit who tested positive and had to quarantine for (5) days once back in Seattle before they could fly home 😳😳

Wore masks on our flight yesterday and we were definitely in the minority….prob about 30% of the passengers wore masks 😷 

Masks aren’t 100% but they definitely are better than No mask at all.   

Better Safe than Sorry 😷😷

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ricka47 said:

I had an early case of Covid (3/20) and am double vaxxed. No mask for me unless they force me.

Agree, choice is fine. Mom a High Risk still wear hers everywhere. Week after Mandate ended onshore 1/3 Workers wearing them, less then 10%  Passengers had them on anytime during Cruise. Was nice after wearing Mask on way down Air, Cab, Terminal then after my B4B not needed anywhere on way Home inc none of Flight Crew

1 hour ago, alfaeric said:

Agreed.  Not sure why some feel the need to judge other people's decisions regarding masking, especially without knowing a person's individual circumstances.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sjb317 said:

We just got off Allure yesterday, our 10th cruise since August.  We wore masks in the terminal for checkin as it was very crowded and there is no longer any “social distancing”.   The man behind us in line stepped on the back of  my flip flops twice!   I did not wear one, for the most part, on the ship and saw very few people, other than crew, wearing them.

Sherri 🙂

Just got off Allure too.  First cruise back  since Covid started.  Interesting observation because I saw more passengers wearing them than I thought I would.  Certainly the dominant portion of passengers did not wear them, but I really expected few and far between.  However, it seemed everywhere I went there were some people wearing masks (including young people) which is more than I expected.  Even outside which was surprising.  This also included one memory where the couple wore them leaving a restaurant.  So they clearly sat and ate exposing themselves for a long stretch of time, but then wore them coming in and out I suppose?  I don’t get that logic at all. We did not wear a mask the entire time other than when required in the covid testing area when our kids were tested on day 5 as is required for all unvaccinated kids.  

• Like 3

These mask debates go on forever while there isn't much new to say. Wear a mask if it makes you comfortable, don't if you feel OK without it. I felt perfectly safe on Allure never touching a mask the entire vacation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, gumshoe958 said:

Bottom line - Covid isn’t going anywhere and will get on to ships regardless of vaccination, testing and masking protocols. There will always be a risk of catching it, as there is on land. Only you can decide whether that risk is worth it and, if so, what measures you take to avoid catching it.

The bottom line is that you need to assess what is going on around you. And assess your risk tolerance. COVID is surging in the US and around the world at the moment. 

When we cruised last month, COVID cases were at a low. We felt comfortable to mask only as required. A few months before that, when COVID was surging, we masked onboard. 

An international cruise adds the consideration that you must test negative to leave. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

These mask debates go on forever while there isn't much new to say. Wear a mask if it makes you comfortable, don't if you feel OK without it. I felt perfectly safe on Allure never touching a mask the entire vacation.

Good to have the voice of reason back...

1 minute ago, whitecap said:

each individual has the right to make their own decision regarding masking and no one, no one should be criticized for their decision.  

As with most aspects of a cruise I don't pay much attention to what others are doing. I certainly couldn't care any less if someone chooses to wear a mask. As long as someone doesn't smell badly while I'm trapped in an elevator with them I am pretty easy going. 

• Haha 2

I was on Anthem last month. It was mandatory for staff to wear KN94s, but optional for the guests (unless local authorities required it in port). I wore mine the entire time by choice. A lot of others I saw chose to do the same.

Edited by broadwaybaby123
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

I just was really referring to the judgement part of your post. The rest of my response wasn’t geared specifically toward you. Sorry if I offended you.

Thanks.  You didn't offend me...just confused me!

• Like 1