How Cold Is An Alaskan Cruise in June/July?

We are going on a cruise on Quantum on June 27. I have checked the average temperatures for Alaska in June and July and it looks like an average high of 60-65 degrees. Is it colder out on the water during the cruise? Colder during certain portions? I have seen videos of people using the Flowrider during Alaskan cruises. Is that heated? Should we pack any shorts or just long pants?

How about waiting until it's a bit closer and looking up the extended forecast?

I was on land for 10 days and at sea for 8 in mid-late June in 2018. It was in the 50s-60s most of the trip but while we were on land I read it was in the upper 70's on the ship that week, then cooled down when we got on.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

How about waiting until it's a bit closer and looking up the extended forecast?

I was on land for 10 days and at sea for 8 in mid-late June in 2018. It was in the 50s-60s most of the trip but while we were on land I read it was in the upper 70's on the ship that week, then cooled down when we got on.

We will, but my wife likes to plan ahead (i.e. buy outfits and pack) and I am always feeling chilly and don't want to be uncomfortable. I am thinking I might need a decently warm jacket instead of just a sweatshirt if it is 50s. 

We've been twice in June/July and seems at least once getting up to nearly 80 (in the sun and no wind) and as low as the 40's (Cloudy and windy) when we were visiting glaciers.

Remember, when the ship's underway it's making its own 20-25 mph "wind" if you're outside and wind chill applies.

Dress in layers then you can add/shed as required.

• Like 5

One pr of shorts takes up no space and can easily be washed in the sink if you need to wear them a 2nd time.  

In my dozen or so visits to Alaska I've only worn shorts once .... in Fairbanks. But I pack them every time, as well as a pr of flip flops. 

As for warm weather clothing, wear layers ........a tshirt next to your skin, a sweatshirt/hoody next, then topped with a waterproof jacket.  Carry a small daypack so you have a place to store your layers, as well as wallets, cameras, sunglasses etc

• Like 2

After two Alaska cruises and several visits to SE AK for work, the best advice I can give is: Pack for anything from 40Deg and rain to shorts and t-shirt weather. Think layers...

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Bxc53 said:

After two Alaska cruises and several visits to SE AK for work, the best advice I can give is: Pack for anything from 40Deg and rain to shorts and t-shirt weather. Think layers...

I agree. Been to Alaska 4 times and I always pack my biggest suitcase or take two medium.

Need a variety of casual clothes more than dress up evening.

We were on Ovation to Alaska at the end of June/beginning of July in 2019. Some ports we had warm, sunny weather during the day, maybe in the 70's. But on the water, at night? It got down right cold! I ended up buying flannel pajama bottoms and cabin socks to wear on the balcony in the evenings/early mornings. We wore sweatshirts/jackets/layers a lot. Make sure to have a raincoat and extra or waterproof shoes too.

Most days were pleasant for us - low 70s. It's cool in the morning and warms up as the day progresses. 

Layers! Layers! Layers! Bring a good sweatshirt and good raincoat. You might need them and you might not. Tell you wife to think athletic wear/leggings - regular and some that have the lightweight fleece. I also brought a couple of lightweight pullovers that matched the athletic leggings. That's all I wore on my last cruise. My husband was in joggers and athletic pants as well the whole cruise. We brought 4 athletic bottoms and 8 or so short and/or long sleeve t-shirts. And a good pair of sneakers and/or low cut hiking boots.

We were finally able to put to good use the athletic clothing sets that we have been gifting each other the last couple of years. LOL!!! 

Edited by cynt
  • Like 1

We love it in June, we have had great luck with weather  - mostly mid 50’s and 70’s. We live in Georgia where it is fairly warm much of the year, we learned pretty quickly about dressing in layers in Alaska. So wear maybe I sweatshirt over a long-sleeve cotton shirt where you can roll up the sleeves, for example, so you don’t freeze in the morning or get too hot in the afternoon. Enjoy, Alaska cruises are our favorites!

@cynt - we were typing at the same time 😂 GMTA

Edited by AlohaLivin
  • Haha 1

We did the bike excursion in Skagway (White Pass train up, bike down).  It was high 30s to low 40s when we started biking down and when we reached the town in a couple hours, it was mid 70s.

In Seward we hiked out to the exit glacier.  Kinda cool to start but as we walked through fields we were sweating so took off our coats and long shirts - down to t-shirts.  10 minutes later as we approached the glacier we were putting everything back on again.

It's a bit of a pain but I'm sure glad we got the packable gear before we went.  Warm coat, rain coat, rain pants - all pack down into their own pocket.  If you want to get fancy, get the convertible pants where you can zip off the lower leg portions.  Each member of your party will need a backpack to carry their own layers.

The one thing I wish I had done was to get a larger size rain coat.  I wore my backpack under my rain coat to keep things dry but it was a tight fit.  Other option is to get a waterproof backpack.

4 hours ago, Reds4life said:

We are going on a cruise on Quantum on June 27. I have checked the average temperatures for Alaska in June and July and it looks like an average high of 60-65 degrees. Is it colder out on the water during the cruise? Colder during certain portions? I have seen videos of people using the Flowrider during Alaskan cruises. Is that heated? Should we pack any shorts or just long pants?

The only "cold" spot is the glacier watching day. We sail to Alaska annually and we are often in shorts and t-shirt in the July timeframe in port. 

• Like 3

Thanks to all. Looks like layers is the key. Probably about like our fall in Ohio. My wife loves that season so I think she will enjoy it a lot. Myself I prefer 80 degrees or warmer and then shorts all the time. I liked the jogger idea. I don't like getting cold so probably no shorts and short sleeves for me. 

• Like 1

I agree with the layering concept.

Also, very important to remember that you are traveling through a rainforest. Bring rain gear.

Bring lots of socks. Nothing is worse than cold wet feet.

The heaviest thing I wear on an Alaskan cruise is a hoodie. However, I'm pretty impervious to the cold so my experience is definitely different than you.  Normally, I don't wear a coat in any weather above 45°.  However, I'd take a couple pairs of shorts if I was you.  Last year we had weather from the high 30's to to mid 70's. Our last sea day  lots of folks were out on deck baking in the sun.

I have been in July and May.  May was warmer--go figure.  I agree with layers and a waterproof jacket.  Rain is more of a possibility than anything.   Don't forget gloves and a hat/ear protection for glacier day.  It can get pretty cold- if you get can get close to them!  We were able to go closer in at Glacier Bay in July than we were in May. 

Alaska isn't like the Caribbean when cruising.  Caribbean, you know it's going to be hot in the summer, day and night, regardless of the port.

Alaska may be warm during the day in the Summer (50º-70º)and sunny.....cold-cool at night (35º-45º).  

Or, it may be 45º and rainy during the day.

I just returned a few days ago.  45º-60º temps during the day.  Much cooler at night.  Sunny all but one day.

First trip to Alaska was late-July. Was told to "bring a light jacket". Absolutely FROZE. Misty rain, temps in the high 30s with wind-chill way below that, etc. At the first port stop we bought heavy clothes and full rain-gear. Even then, we were cold (the misty rain just sucks the heat out of you).

On another trip in May we brough heavy coats, gloves, rain-gear, etc. It ended up being sunny and in the mid-70s all 11 days of the cruise. Only time we needed a coat was when viewing the glaciers. 

My wife and I tend to spend most of the day on the deck looking for wildlife (whales, bears, etc.). For the folks that just pop outside, take a few pictures, and then run back in-side (about 90% of passengers it seems), then not nearly as much clothing required.  

Flow-rider is not heated. You will want a wet-suit of some sort even when it is warm/sunny. The good news is that there is almost never a line. My son actually broke his collar-bone on the Flow-rider while in Alaska. Got to spend our port day in Juneau in the ER 😕

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RockHoundTX said:

Flow-rider is not heated.

They may not have had it on, but most ships have heaters for the Flowrider water.

Biker, who was on the Quantum Flowrider in the cold North Atlantic in Nov.

I’ve cruised Alaska in May, June, and July and you never know what you’re gonna get. I’ve swam in 80 degree heat in Juneau a few times, been in a windy/rainy storm in Skagway, been freezing in winter clothes in a torrential downpour in Ketchikan one time and then the next time there, worn flip flops and capris and got a tan, and then everything inbetween. Plan on it being somewhere between 50-70, primarily 55-65, bring all kinds of layers, and have a blast!

We were there in August a few years ago...the HIGH was 58 on our 7 day cruise...in August...  The tour guides were all wearing shorts and t-shirts and the passengers were all in warm clothing (jeans and sweatshirts and windbreakers).  That was on land, not even talking about a moving ship.  It was cold.

We never take more than one suitcase each on cruise, usually just a large checked bag. On our cruise to Alaska soon we'll be checking the largest allowed by the airline and also the largest carry-ons we can. I've bought the space savers and will cram as much as possible into the carry-ons as there is no weight limit on those. So likely jeans and other heavier stuff and then the checked bag still likely approach the 50lb weight limit. The extended forecast for our cruise shows mid 60's for daytime highs and low 40's in Juneau. 

@Reds4life, I have cruised in Alaska a few times, including one July trip. I plan to return this year about the time you sail. As others have said, layers are key. Like your wife, I like to plan my clothes well ahead of time. If it helps her to know, I am taking tee shirts and tank tops for a base layer, a fleece pullover and fleece jacket for the coldest weather, and cotton pullovers or cardigans for the in between. I have a waterproof, unlined, hooded jacket to rainproof the other layers. 
If you are cruising near a glacier, that will likely be your coldest day. On glacier day I wear fleece plus a hat or scarf to cover my ears. Packing one fleece shirt or jacket would be enough. I pack two for choices. 
My regular pants are warm enough. I used to take silk long Johns but never used them. YMMV but if my core is warm the rest is ok. 
I do not do strenuous excursions, so do not need specialized outdoors clothes. 
Enjoy your trip!

• Thanks 1

How about the weather on an early September cruise?  It's our first time to Alaska, leaving Vancouver on Serenade on Sept 4th.  Assuming it's kind of the same as June/July, plan to bring clothes for every season and dress in layers.  Flying to Vancouver means luggage limits of 50 lbs so this might be tough.  When we cruised out of NYC it was so easy just to drive up the NJ Turnpike with whatever we wanted to pack!  Thanks for your help.