Harmony Backed Into a Pier Docking in Jamaica This Morning

8 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

As expected, this was a major screw up on the bridge. Not wind or anything else.

And do you have documents to back up this statement ?   Interested asking for a friend 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

As expected, this was a major screw up on the bridge. Not wind or anything else.

6 hours ago, Ptroxx said:

And do you have documents to back up this statement ?   Interested asking for a friend 

According to the blog he mentions, a government minister states it was pilot error, but a complete investigation has not been completed, and no indication that it was a "major screw up", nor that wind or other outside influence did not cause the pilot error.

As for a "major" screw up, the photos of the stern of the ship show a few dimples that will likely be with the ship for years before they decide to spend the money to fix a cosmetic blemish.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

The blog that cannot be named has an article about it

Found this, and the Tourism minister made a statement without the benefit of a full investigation, nor any accompanying or enlightening facts.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Plum Happy said:

So, it means they direct or take control?  The picture I saw didn't look that bad, in my opinion.

It means that the ship is required to have a pilot onboard.  Whether or not the pilot is given the conn (allowed to give maneuvering orders) is up to the Captain, but where pilotage is mandatory, if something goes wrong and the pilot is not conning the vessel, the Captain, personally, can be found liable for damages, like the mooring dolphin, even if the Captain is not found to be at fault by the cruise line or the flag state.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Found this, and the Tourism minister made a statement without the benefit of a full investigation, nor any accompanying or enlightening facts.

Exactly. DH (retired US Navy Captain) and I had a discussion about that.  All this speculation is just that.  

Edited by BND

16 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

If it's supposed to move and it doesn't, spray some WD40 on it.  If it's not supposed to move and it does, slap some duct tape on it.  Add in a pair of vice-grips and some bondo and you can fix just about anything.

Words of wisdom indeed!!  😉 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, wayne_trisha said:

You gonna fly a helicopter from Florida to Alaska? YOU CRAZY LADY!!! 🙂

That's me...crazy Island Lady!!   Then again...you being in the space industry...maybe take a space ship/rocket....or "Beam me up Scotty" route?   😄 😄  

• Like 1

Much Ado About Nothing
Play by William Shakespeare

Didn't even change our itinerary, speed, route, NADA....and most on board...probably never even realized we hit something.  I didn't know until I read it here.  😆

And OMG....we are not headed to Freeport in a panic either!!  😄 😄 

Still impossible to see any damage from on board the ship...or at port.  All cosmetic.  

4 hours ago, Plum Happy said:

This Twitter page from Port Authority of Jamaica states that they take control in all of their ports.

Control of the ports is not control of the ship.  Two different things.

1 hour ago, davekathy said:

I have a roll of orange I bought in St Maarten to replace the gray I used up in St. Thomas. 😁

I am guessing there was more duck tape on your battered suit case...than the suitcase itself by the time you got it.  😄 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, CarolinaCruiser85 said:

No excuse for this to happen on a billion dollar ship. Falmouth is a pretty simple port with little traffic or maneuvering.

And this is based on your many years of ship handling experience?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

i heard MSC was also on the way out but not as far as Harmony.

MSC was still in the channel which is quite far from the hazard area. On Sunday when Harmony went into the hazard area other cruise ships left without issue. On Monday 5 ships left without going in the hazard area. It was only Harmony. the launch hazard area does not close the port to ships coming or going.

1 hour ago, CarolinaCruiser85 said:

No excuse for this to happen on a billion dollar ship. Falmouth is a pretty simple port with little traffic or maneuvering.

Inertia alone on a ship that size is huge.  Any change in speed or direction takes a while.  You can't just slam on the brakes (although it didn't seem like the bow thrusters were cranking full speed until after impact).  The sheer height of these ships also make them a huge sail.  A strong wind pushing on the side of the ship has a real impact.  Add in currents, especially if they are different from the typical currents in a port that a crew may be used to, and no docking procedure is "simple".  With all of that said though, a mistake was probably made somewhere.  Either someone did not follow the procedure properly, there was failure in equipment, or the procedure was not sufficient for the situation.  Sometimes though, an accident is just that...an accident.  Something unforeseen may have happened and even though everyone involved were well trained and reacted perfectly, there was nothing they could do.  That's why you wait for the outcome of the investigation before jumping to conclusions.  Learn and make sure it doesn't happen again.

8 hours ago, island lady said:

I am guessing there was more duck tape on your battered suit case...than the suitcase itself by the time you got it.  😄 

Would have made a great commercial for duct tape. 😁 Not a good commercial for Samsonite and JetBlue. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, davekathy said:

Would have made a great commercial for duct tape. 😁 Not a good commercial for Samsonite and JetBlue. 

Oh yeah...your not so favorite airline...Jet Blue.  😮   OMG...that misadventure you had with them was like something out of a travel horror story!  Awful!!  

• Like 1