The Daily for Wednesday 06/08/2022

richwmn

Good Wednesday Morning Dailyites!

I have a wish list of places I want to go to, and most of them are attached to some type of racing.  I would love to see the motorcycle racing on the Isle of Man, see Dakar in person,  witness the 24 hours of Le Mans.  I think that my Dad got me hooked on racing, as when we lived in France, and he got "the kids" on the weekend, we would get in the car and he would drive, with no destination in mind.  If he heard the sound of motorcycles, he would stop, and we would walk until we found them, doing cross country motocross. I have been to the Daytona 24 hour race twice, so I guess that will be my version of Le Mans.  The Petit Le Mans at Road Atlanta, once.  A gift from a customer.

My mother's family built motorcycles, in Cleveland in the 20's and my Dad wrote articles about the Marsh Family motor cycles  for Antique Auto Magazine.  So even though I am adopted, the love of racing seems to be in my blood.

I was trying to sleep late this morning, but Furnando wanted his breakfast and started chewing on me. I have always said, that if I died at home, they would find a partially eaten person on the floor.  With happy cats surrounding me.

main-qimg-27967379582950bb442ce7299f5d7a3a-c

photos-that-prove-cats-are-a-struggle-34

@ger_77 I like that for a new middle name,  Gumby.  LOL.  I started yesterday in Arizona Opera, and waited  and waited for Chicago Shakespeare to let us know it was a go to start.  But I was supposed to be off at 6, worked until 6:45, and signed off, and then got the text they were set to go.  Well my tummy was set for dinner, so I guess I will start this morning, put in some hours, take a break and go back to AZ for the night shift.  

caption-by-kittyworks-youre-my-favorite-best-friend-a-true-24504213.png

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 29

Good morning .It is  very humid this morning  so the dogs and I did the shorter walk. Yuck.Tana and I decided to try the Betty Crocker recipe today and make some of the calzones vegetarian.  We have not been to the port,don't  like the quote and celebrate  oceans every day.

DH has been my best friend for 40 plus years.

I remember writing a paper in High School about Thomas Paine.

@seagarsmoker, sending prayers for Uncle Gary and your family.I hope all goes well.

@Cruzin Terri,I am sorry to hear you are in so much pain.I hope the medication  helps.

Terry

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

Good morning everyone. I have two best friends. One I met when we were 8 years old and the other is my sister in law who I met in 1960.

Thomas Paine lived in New Rochelle, our home town, from 1802 to 1806. He was the author of Common Sense and a revolutionary hero. There is a statue of him near the cottage he lived in on North Avenue in New Rochelle. Unfortunately, every year on Halloween, the kids used to paint it or spray paint it and every year it had to be cleaned up. I haven’t been back there for 9 years so not sure if that still happens.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 22

Good morning everyone and happy hump day!  I just got off the phone with one of my best friends to read that it’s best friends day, how appropriate.  Hats off to Thomas Paine and world ocean day.  The quote is a bit cringy to me.  The meal suggestion sounds delicious and by the way, the chicken stuffed with pancetta, mushrooms and scallions was very good last evening.  The drink sounds intriguing.  I haven’t been today’s port and look forward to the photos.  Prayers for all on our prayer list.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events today.

• Like 21

Good morning, thanks for the Daily! My best friend is sawing logs upstairs as we speak - I'm the early bird, he's the night owl.  I had no idea who Thomas Paine was - now I do.   I love the oceans, especially when I can be on one in a BHB.  I disagree with today's quote; we've been married 45 years and it hasn't been all that hard!

It's a beautiful morning out there today and we'd better enjoy it, because there's rain (hopefully with lightning and thunder) in the forecast for tomorrow.  DH is going for coffee this morning with our friend whose wife is in long term care, then we'll head over to my sister-in-law's place where we'll dig up some ferns for the front of our house that doesn't get a lot of sun.  I'll water them, but there's nothing like rain to get the plants going.

@richwmnI'm of the opinion that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  Would it be an imposition on you to ask that we keep the daily going as it is?  I think we have the best of both worlds right here - informative and fun.

@Sharon in AZYAY that Craig is out of quarantine - good to have you together again!

@seagarsmokercertainly sending Uncle Gary prayers for a successful surgery.

I'll ask for prayers for one our own:@SusieKIslandGirl is having a hip replacement today.

Neither DH nor I are fans of calzones; we've always found them to have way too much crust (I wouldn't like English pasties for that reason), so will take a pass on today's menu suggestion.  Yesterday's carnitas turned our great, even though I didn't use the peppers (DH is such a lightweight) suggested, I used red and yellow peppers instead.  There were enough that we'll be having leftovers tonight, so it'll be pork carnitas with tortillas and a crunchy coleslaw on the deck tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers for the people of Ukraine to continue the fight, and for the families of the unbelievable amount of gun violence victims.  Always extra for our Daily family for strength and healing.  We'll raise the glasses to celebrate all on the growing happy list.  Be safe, wear masks when you need to, get your boosters, and stay well.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 1

@Sharon in AZ  So happy to hear to hear your husband is out of quarantine.  Are you enjoying the Oosterdam?   Is the ship in good condition?  My husband and I prefer a smaller ship and really enjoyed our Zuiderdam Panama Canal cruise in February.  It was the first time we cruised for more than a week and we really enjoyed it.  We are now looking at the Spanish Farewell in November.  

Could anyone chime in on a transatlantic experience?  I know you can't predict the weather but what did you experience on your trip across the Atlantic?  I would really appreciate your insights.  I'm trying to work up to a 35 day cruise.

3 hours ago, richwmn said:

What, if any, changes should be made to this report when that happens

I love the pictures of the daily port and the recipes.  I love the way the people on this thread support each other.  I love the positivity.

Happy World Oceans Day!

World Oceans Day -Inspiration & Photographs | Oceans of the world, Beach  quotes, Ocean day

Edited by 0106
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 1

The good ship Statendam is at sea today, our 2nd sea day with one again tomorrow out of a 12 day cruise.  We passed the strait of Dover early this morning,  but it was foggy with no visability. About an hour ago,  we were off of The Hook of Holland  with many cross ships headed in an out of Rotterdam. 

Does anyone remember Barbie McCullough, the singer? She did a 3rd show this afternoon, all of them excellent. 

20220605_160123.jpg

20220608_081057.jpg

20220608_081720.jpg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, 0106 said:

@Sharon in AZ  So happy to hear to hear your husband is out of quarantine.  Are you enjoying the Oosterdam?   Is the ship in good condition?  My husband and I prefer a smaller ship and really enjoyed our Zuiderdam Panama Canal cruise in February.  It was the first time we cruised for more than a week and we really enjoyed it.  We are now looking at the Spanish Farewell in November.  

Could anyone chime in on a transatlantic experience?  I know you can't predict the weather but what did you experience on your trip across the Atlantic?  I would really appreciate your insights.  I'm trying to work up to a 35 day cruise.

I love the pictures of the daily port and the recipes.  I love the way the people on this thread support each other.  I love the positivity.

Happy World Oceans Day!

World Oceans Day -Inspiration & Photographs | Oceans of the world, Beach  quotes, Ocean day

We traveled from Boston to Amsterdam on a VOV several years ago. It was 17 days and I was still working so very hard to negotiate that much time off. It was in July and the weather was calm and pleasant. I only had one day where I was in need of seasickness medication.I love sea days so just had a good old time. We went with my DB and SIL so the company was excellent. I highly recommend transatlantic and transpacific crossings.They are special.

D5D04532-178B-4BE5-8F8D-B1D2F1D15A58.jpeg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ger_77 said:

@richwmnI'm of the opinion that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  Would it be an imposition on you to ask that we keep the daily going as it is?  I think we have the best of both worlds right here - informative and fun.

DITTO

Good morning, all! The roses are blooming, the birds are singing, and the coffee is hot. It’s threatening to rain later, but for now all is good. A good collection of days. The meal is a little too heavy on the bread for me, but I see a thinner crusted version there that might fit the bill! Sorry I missed yesterday, but it spared everyone from me going on and on about Taipei which we’ve been on extended visits to twice. Well, if you insist….😉

Looking out from our balcony in Taipei.40819D58-056B-4FA3-92D8-8845EE7A5A4B.thumb.jpeg.b2dc76274009107d401a82d574745463.jpeg

The Moon Bridge in Dahu (Big Lake) Park. In real life it is right side up.

12C514BD-22AD-46BA-A855-0563B24678C7.thumb.jpeg.aa09279eca92ad8c24825ef57122b266.jpeg

DH on the Makong Gondola that runs for miles up the mountain from a point near the Taipei Zoo MRT station.

8D8A2466-2121-482D-B402-790F8C515E49.thumb.jpeg.e053624a2ee27ff0375c73d3f3085614.jpeg

From our trips out of town - DD drinking coffee at a cafe on the grounds of a Taiwan  coffee plantation.

4CD7FFCA-3D35-42F7-AC4B-F43F2BD848EF.thumb.jpeg.e67ae7842668f0149ad3e609cd1eaafc.jpeg

Taroko Gorge, on the road to Hualien.

8C4BFABC-B513-4BE6-865B-8029D6D632DC.thumb.jpeg.447ce5ccd0afccf2aa32f19b30ec9246.jpeg

Vistas small and large from our B&B in the mountain tea plantations of Alishan.

The little bonsai on our deck echoed the pines far beyond it in the morning mist.

E40D9824-9B47-4FD5-8326-FFB0D4C0BF12.thumb.jpeg.7c3f8fbbb9f21c04a14c5fceb7935dc4.jpeg

Views from the boardwalk running from the house to the tea fields.

E765CC27-431C-4938-B868-ECC4928A9C69.thumb.jpeg.6f77c6401fc539826b443c75394c881c.jpeg

38F6AA38-6090-4C01-B561-1AA363B607FF.thumb.jpeg.60624c490b9496e4ce38222e5721501d.jpeg

Happy Wednesday, everyone, and happy planning for your next BHB adventure!

A072C914-0B2D-46BF-9A45-D5A1639446F8.thumb.jpeg.5f9acfe0d3dd879c461181fce59a32d3.jpeg

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 5

4 hours ago, seagarsmoker said:

Thanks for the Daily Report.

Prayers and a positive outcome for my Uncle Gary who is at the hospital in Inverness, Fl having triple bypass heart surgery today. 

Sending  prayers  for  him.

Jim.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Good morning from central Texas where the weather is the same as yesterday and tomorrow.

Best friends are to be treasured  While my best friend and I don't see each other often, we always pick up where we left off.  We have been friends since we were about 18 months old.  My next door neighbor and I have been friends almost as long.  We met either in kindergarten or first grade.  Thomas Paine was an important part of the American Revolution with his writings.  We need to do more to preserve the world's oceans.

Today's quote is a strange one.

We'll pass on the meal, drink and wine.  The calzones have too much crust for me.

@richwmn  Rich, add me to the list that would like the Daily to stay as it is with one exception, the deletion of the heading "Ships Without Passengers".  For many of us, the Daily has been a lifeline during the past two plus years.  Also, for many, due to various reasons, they will not be returning to cruising as usual for some time to come..  Rich, you created something special with the Daily, and all the Dailyites have shown how much it is needed and appreciated.

@Sharon in AZ  Sharon, that is great news that Craig is out of quarantine, and I hope the fatigue disappears soon.  Thank you for the pictures of the rescue at sea.

@seagarsmoker  Sending very positive thoughts for a successful surgery and quick recovery for your uncle Gary.

@cat shepard  Ann, I just noticed that our pollen count here is very high, too.  I'm not bothered by allergies, but DH is.

@SusieKIslandGirl  Wishing you a successful surgery and a quick recovery.

Lenda

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

Good morning all!

Today will be another day of temps near 70F. I plan to garden today because another "river of rain" is headed our way....we've had SO much rain this spring.  I wish I could send it to areas that need it.

I've been best friends with Barbara since we were 9 years old.  We lived 2 doors apart.  I moved to CA at 14, and we remained best friends through many moves on my part around the country.  Deaths, celebrations, a lot has happened over the past 62 years.  We try to get together every month if we can, we live an hour apart now.

Like many, I thought of cruising when I heard World Ocean Day 🙂  Many Chilean Sauvignon Blancs are good, I'd like to try this one.  I would like the meal, but with a thinner crust. I'm not sure, but think I've been to Isle of Man on a cruise.

@Sharon in AZYAY that Craig is out of quarantine!!

@seagarsmokerprayers for your Uncle Gary as he has triple bypass today.

@SusieKIslandGirlprayers for a swift recovery after your hip replacement surgery today.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

Black Beauty Cocktail:

Ingredients
1 part DeKuyper® Peachtree® Schnapps Liqueur
1/2 part Jim Beam Black®
Splash Cranberry Juice
Half cup Ice
Rim glass with Sugar

Instructions
Pour half cup of ice, mix Jim Beam Black with Peach Schnapps, add a splash of cranberry juice, serve in a Rocks or Martini glass with a sugar rim.

Screen Shot 2022-06-08 at 11.35.48 AM.png

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

Got some of the chores done. We postponed our lunch date yesterday as we found out they were closed on Tuesday’s which is the case of many restaurants due to staff shortages.  So we are going today.
I vote for keeping the Daily as is.

We had a discussion yesterday about how many relatives, friends, neighbor’s and acquaintances have had bouts of Covid. It came down too, out of that group, the vast majority in our circle have tested positive. Fortunately they all survived. At this point our biggest worry is not getting Covid but the repercussions and inconvenience’s of testing positive! Just look how many cases of people that are part of our Daily? It’s not if but when are we going to get it!

Princess Cruise Line announcement yesterday that they are shutting down their Alaska land tour Wilderness Lodge for the rest of the season is testament about how critical staffing woes have become. Wonder if Hal’s McKinley will follow foot?

Enough banter. Have a great day.

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 23

Good morning, Dailyites!  Best wishes to all celebrating special events, and prayers for those needing them.  When we lived in the States, and the children were studying the American Revolution, I read a book called "To Spit Against the Wind", about Thomas Paine.  I've always remembered the title!  An Englishman, he was an instigator of the revolution with his pamphlets.  He once wrote:  "These are the times that try men's souls: The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like Hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated."  I think that could also refer to the war in Ukraine right now.

My DMIL lived in the Isle of Man for 23 years, until her death in 2005, so I have visited there many times.  Pictures are all pre-digital.  I will have a hunt for a few.  We always stayed at the Sefton, too, from the days when it was a decrepit old hotel with terrible food, until they renovated and turned it into a modern, quiet, place.  (When the TT races were on the engine nose reverberated everywhere!)

We love TAs!  It is always nice to have a relaxing few days crossing the ocean after a busy, port-intensive cruise in the Med or Northern Europe.  Or to start one off!  We have two booked for next year, and one for next month...There are some good prices now, with the Celebration Sale.

I vote for a continuation of The Daily, too, maybe a change to "The Daily Fleet Report"?  Others, who don't join in might be interested to at least see where the ships are.  I had intended to go down to Ogden Point to see Westie when she was here, but missed her.  Does anyone know if there's a webcam in Seattle?

• Like 25

Good morning from Durango. Weather is as usual - sunny, hot, and dry. I know the rains will come someday. I believe, I believe, I believe!!!!

Little here of interest today. Meal today looks good but like some others I worry a bit about all that crust. Still.... if it is served, I will eat it. I am looking at cruises.... don't know if I can hold out until 2024. But I think I will wait until this stint as Board President of the local Humane Society is over which will be next year. And, I am not eligible stay on the board so freedom awaits. Almost like looking forward to my retirement from work many years ago. We are working hard on the renovations and like most places we are short staffed. It was compounded a couple days ago when our foster coordinator was scratched badly by a cat who was feeling very uncooperative (probably a feral although the people who brought him in did not warn us about that). Her hand got badly infected but the infection is now clearing up. However, she has been out on medical leave for nearly a week and her absence is being felt. Kitty is in quarantine. It will be put up for adoption, probably as a barn cat.... it seems to be that kind of cat. It is allowing us to handle it now. 

Was clearing out my closet this morning and realize how many tee shirts from far away places I have. Need to cull a bit so when the time comes I have room for new ones.

Take care.

Susan

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, 0106 said:

Me too.  I love this thread.  Thank you Rich and everyone.

• Like 13

I love TAs.  Lots of time to do nothing at all or go to all of the stuff you can pack into your day.  They certainly have a lot to do if that's what you want.  They even change course if they can to avoid bad weather.  

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1