Crown issues....will this never end!

suzyed

Just got an email from Princess with yet another itinerary change!  Just ridiculous!  We've paid the same or similar amount for our 7 day Alaska cruise as the other Alaska cruises but it seems like we are getting half a cruise. First they remove Ketchikan and now we get about 2 hours in most ports.

IMPORTANT NOTICES
ITINERARY CHANGE
Please be advised that due to technical restrictions affecting the ship's maximum speed, Crown Princess will now arrive in Juneau, Alaska at 4:00 PM on Monday, July 11, 2022 rather than at 2:30 PM as previously scheduled.

Due to this change and as a gesture of goodwill, each guest will receive an onboard credit of $100 USD applied to their shipboard account. The onboard credit may be used toward all purchases in the bars, boutiques and photo gallery, as well as specialty dining, spa treatments and shore excursions. This $100 credit will be in addition to any previously provided credits, promotions, or amenities on your booking.

Updated shore excursion information will be available in the Cruise Personalizer in the next two weeks or on board.
  • Like 2

Your goodwill OBC does not state that it will be refundable OBC.  Does that mean that you will have to spend it on the ship?  I am so sorry that Princess has done this to Crown passengers.  They should have sent the Diamond or the Sapphire to Alaska instead.  

Is it too late to jump ship?  I would call and start the process now.  Of course, they sent this out on a Friday afternoon.  Unfortunately, this has been ongoing since the very start of the season.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, suzyed said:

Just got an email from Princess with yet another itinerary change!  Just ridiculous!  We've paid the same or similar amount for our 7 day Alaska cruise as the other Alaska cruises but it seems like we are getting half a cruise. First they remove Ketchikan and now we get about 2 hours in most ports.

IMPORTANT NOTICES
ITINERARY CHANGE
Please be advised that due to technical restrictions affecting the ship's maximum speed, Crown Princess will now arrive in Juneau, Alaska at 4:00 PM on Monday, July 11, 2022 rather than at 2:30 PM as previously scheduled.

Due to this change and as a gesture of goodwill, each guest will receive an onboard credit of $100 USD applied to their shipboard account. The onboard credit may be used toward all purchases in the bars, boutiques and photo gallery, as well as specialty dining, spa treatments and shore excursions. This $100 credit will be in addition to any previously provided credits, promotions, or amenities on your booking.

Updated shore excursion information will be available in the Cruise Personalizer in the next two weeks or on board.

Susan, Are you leaving soon?  Any chance you can change ships?

Sad…

• Like 1

What I don't understand is why Princess is still listing the original itinerary for the August cruises. It's obvious that the ship will not be fixed before the drydock in October. The itinerary for the cruises in June and July show a 4 p.m. arrival in Juneau, the addition of Icy Strait Point the evening after Glacier Bay, and the cancellation of Ketchikan.

temp.jpg

• Like 1

Since the re-start, we as passengers have had to decide how much less of a cruise we are willing to accept while still paying full price. As a paying customer, I for one don't see why I should give up anything. Princess is in the hospitality business. Something they've done well for years, but are struggling with now.

Many seem to be  more forgiving than others, and are willing to let things slide. As for me, for the most part, I like to get what I paid for. 

Despite staff shortages, or propulsion problems, Princess is still out there filling up ships as if there is nothing wrong. This isn't all by some simple mistake. This was all decided on by Princess management. Princess is hemorrhaging huge amounts of cash, and they have seemingly decided that it's more important to stop the hemorrhaging, instead of concentrating on hospitality.

A customer relations rep called me the other day concerning the problems we had on the Ruby in April.

She's been with the company 16 years and said it's never been this bad. She mentioned that there is a huge pile of complaints for corporate to examine, and that mine would be added to the pile for review. Despite the fact that we paid for two weeks of "the fastest internet at sea", and it was barely usable, along with the other service issues we encountered, the band-aid we were offered was $100 OBC.

When asked, the rep could not assure us that things would be better by the time we board the CB in late October for 2 weeks.

I'm sorry this is happening to you.......we are now looking for other options.

We always assumed that we'd celebrate our 25th anniversary on a Princess Cruise, not I'm not too sure.

• Like 8

I really think Princess needs to be upfront with passengers on this and give them the option to switch ships. They need to give them options. This is unacceptable and has been for weeks. 

• Like 10

27 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

Since the re-start, we as passengers have had to decide how much less of a cruise we are willing to accept while still paying full price. As a paying customer, I for one don't see why I should give up anything. Princess is in the hospitality business. Something they've done well for years, but are struggling with now.

Many seem to be  more forgiving than others, and are willing to let things slide. As for me, for the most part, I like to get what I paid for. 

Despite staff shortages, or propulsion problems, Princess is still out there filling up ships as if there is nothing wrong. This isn't all by some simple mistake. This was all decided on by Princess management. Princess is hemorrhaging huge amounts of cash, and they have seemingly decided that it's more important to stop the hemorrhaging, instead of concentrating on hospitality.

A customer relations rep called me the other day concerning the problems we had on the Ruby in April.

She's been with the company 16 years and said it's never been this bad. She mentioned that there is a huge pile of complaints for corporate to examine, and that mine would be added to the pile for review. Despite the fact that we paid for two weeks of "the fastest internet at sea", and it was barely usable, along with the other service issues we encountered, the band-aid we were offered was $100 OBC.

When asked, the rep could not assure us that things would be better by the time we board the CB in late October for 2 weeks.

We always assumed that we'd celebrate our 25th anniversary on a Princess Cruise, not I'm not too sure.

We are on the CB with you in October..and just got off the doomed Crown. Do you think the internet issues will be on the CB also? Or are there other issues? We have friends boarding the CB today in Florida..he’s an IT pro…curious his take. 

Just now, MarcsSharon said:

We are on the CB with you in October..and just got off the doomed Crown. Do you think the internet issues will be on the CB also? Or are there other issues? We have friends boarding the CB today in Florida..he’s an IT pro…curious his take. 

Princess changed satellite internet providers in late January/early February, and it's been awful ever since. I was on the CB in January, and everything was fine. I took the exact same cruise on the Regal in February and the internet was at a crawl. This wasn't in Alaska where problems are common, this was in the middle of the Caribbean, where they concentrate many of the satellites.

I honestly believe that every single person who has paid for "the fastest internet at sea" deserves some sort of refund.

• Like 2

I don't see how this is not a bait and switch situation, if someone has a law background I'd love to have this answered.  The pattern with the Crown is now clear, it started with our May 7th cruise being changed  9 days out, then the night before, and again on the ship.  The future cruises where then changed the night before and if the pattern stays the same this will continue for the rest of the season.  I'm assuming most potential passengers who are looking at ships and itineraries for Alaska would not book a cruise with the changed itinerary as it gives you very little time in Alaska.

There have been some great points made by many of CC posters who find Princess's business practices and resolution to the Crown situation insulting.  The contract issue, yes we sign that but we sign it in good faith that Princess is going to provide its customers in good faith a vessel that is capable of sailing its scheduled itinerary.  The contract should protect Princess in the event of something unforeseen, does anyone actually think this was unforseen? Taken from the passenger contract: "which shall be the Guest's responsibility, whenever the cancellation or change was otherwise beyond the Carrier's exclusive control"  I am taking this position that this was not beyond Princess's exclusive control.  Is it a good long term business decision to hide behind this?  This is not how Princess advertises itself.  I also feel the age of the Crown has nothing to do with this, there are plenty of ships in similar age or older currently sailing the Alaska itineraries and making them. 

If anyone else is seeking a resolution from Princess, I'd suggest speak up or take action. See what Princess is all about, to this date I have only asked to discuss this with someone from Princess's management and to ask for more FCC.  I have several documented communications with customer service who have given me actual dates in which they have guaranteed a response, all have come and gone.  I don't understand why a company would do that and lie other than to hope their dissatisfied customers would just go away.  

As far as the start up, labor shortages, Covid, supply chains, Princess being in massive debt etc....again in good faith Princess advertised this cruise, as a paying customer in good faith I had a reasonable expectation that a ship that had a crew onboard and sat idle for 2 years would be maintained to the point that it could make it's scheduled itinerary with the exception being something unforseen.  The pandemic was tough on everyone not just Princess.

https://www.bbb.org/us/ca/valencia/profile/cruises/princess-cruises-1216-38000445

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=172

Edited by JeffT237
  • Like 4

41 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

Very well stated, and interesting that the rep you spoke with admitted that the list and number of complaints has never been so bad. The number of issues we’re seeing here on CC is long and improvement is really not being reported. There are just so many hurdles to jump over when planning a Princess cruise right now that I am actually very relieved to not be participating. The internet, which used to be free for us, and is now $5 a day, is just one of them. I have no issue paying $5 a day for WiFi like we had before the change in February or so. But it’s no where close to that now, despite the president of Princess claiming it’s the best WiFi at sea, with high speed access anywhere, anytime. 

As I’ve asked before, how many loyal guests will be lined up to pay cash once their FCCs are used up?  How much trust has already been lost and will be difficult if not impossible to re-establish? I read many posts like yours here on CC where formerly loyal Princess guests are having second thoughts, and firmly believe that Princess is at a critical juncture where their very existence hangs in the balance. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I sure wish you had been able to move off this cruise.  I know it's difficult with family schedules, responsibilities  and such.  IIRC this is a first cruise for some.  I am so sorry it is turning out like this.  😞  Princess should be very ashamed at what they are causing and they seem oblivious.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, CineGraphic said:

I believe that "Bait & Switch" has to be intentional.

You're probably right, Princess has a legal team and they would surely protect themselves from that but it sure does have the appearance of being intentional. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Being an older ship I suppose you could expect some of those problems from time to time. 

I would agree with you except that we were on the last Crown cruise before Covid shut everything down in March 2020 and the ship had problems back then meaning we couldnt stop at Princess Keys due to the speed problems, Princess have had ample time to fix the problems but nothing seems to have been done, we are on the Enchanted in August and hopefully we wont suffer any of these troubles which have blighted Crown passengers.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

I believe that "Bait & Switch" has to be intentional.

In the legal discovery, if a case was brought against them, they would have to show that they thought the issue would be fixed for these future cruises as opposed to waiting until the day of the start of each cruise to change the itinerary.  That would be bait and switch as they are intentionally delaying the itinerary changes they know are going to occur until the customers have no other choice and are stuck with that cruise.  Not saying it could be proven but I guarantee Princess/Carnival executives would not want their emails to get out into the open about this subject.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Coral said:

I really think Princess needs to be upfront with passengers on this and give them the option to switch ships. They need to give them options. This is unacceptable and has been for weeks. 

If they let people switch ships it means they were aware of the problems all along.

We all know that no one wants to admit their wrong and correct what their doing isn't in the best interests. 

21 minutes ago, Cash123 said:

I would agree with you except that we were on the last Crown cruise before Covid shut everything down in March 2020 and the ship had problems back then meaning we couldnt stop at Princess Keys due to the speed problems, Princess have had ample time to fix the problems but nothing seems to have been done, we are on the Enchanted in August and hopefully we wont suffer any of these troubles which have blighted Crown passengers.

Yep, speed problems have plagued the ship for a while now. I believe they've tried to correct it but it obviously hasn't helped. 

Since the Enchanted is practically brand new I wouldn't expect it to have any speed problems yet.

1 hour ago, CineGraphic said:

Princess changed satellite internet providers in late January/early February, and it's been awful ever since.

This has been bantered around for some time now.  Have you seen anything definitive about a supplier change?  It seems rather "obvious" but I have not been able to track down ANY information as to who is handling their satellite service.  At one point it was SES Networks...but they have been strangely quiet about their client list (at least as far as Princess is concerned).  They tout a number of high profile clients worldwide but Princess is no longer listed...if it ever was.  Royal Carib. is listed as a client.

1 minute ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

This has been bantered around for some time now.  Have you seen anything definitive about a supplier change?

At the time of the change, someone posted here on the forum some sort of an announcement/press release announcing the change. I remember pondering if they were opting for a cheaper service, or if they were forced to leave due to unpaid bills.

We were on the Crown for two weeks (May 14-28) you can read my review.  To keep it short, we have sailed our last 40+ cruises with Princess, but it is now time to either quit cruising (winning right now) or trying other lines.  This was NOT A VACATION and definitely NOT A CRUISE VACATION, when you pay full price for what you are told you are getting and the seller delivers something far inferior why would I spend my money with them again.  And of course the reason why it was so inferior was because of decisions by Princess (or CCL) to give less and charge more.   The Crown had these same propulsion issues long before the COVID-PAUSE, yet they not only did nothing about it, but put the ship back in service knowing that if it was able to limp along, the cruise they were offering would not be delivered. 

Cheated doesn't even come close to what we experienced, and all of the others on those cruises as well.  Princess has been sinking for some time, but now it is like the Titanic - - SUNK.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, caribill said:

Sorry this has happened to your cruise also, but when reading the "live from" about recent Crown cruises you probably expected this would happen.

Oh I know!  Icy Strait Point is the replacement for Ketchikan and I have yet to hear of anyone on the Crown getting there.  
For many reasons it wasn't feasible to cancel this Birthday Celebration Cruise with our family.  And I am now accepting that it will be more like a cruise to nowhere, but I think the compensation for problems that they are aware of well in advance should be more than $100.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, suzyed said:

IMPORTANT NOTICES
ITINERARY CHANGE

OMGoodness...  This is terrible. 

9 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Your goodwill OBC does not state that it will be refundable OBC.  Does that mean that you will have to spend it on the ship?  I am so sorry that Princess has done this to Crown passengers.  They should have sent the Diamond or the Sapphire to Alaska instead.  

Is it too late to jump ship?  I would call and start the process now.  Of course, they sent this out on a Friday afternoon.  Unfortunately, this has been ongoing since the very start of the season.  

Yup. Bait and switch.

Very disappointed with Princess.

• Like 1

I wonder how many of the people on this cruise will continue to cruise Princess or will they say "enough is enough".  We all know the answer - they will continue to sail Princess either because they do not want to bother to seek alternatives or because they don't want to give up their loyalty perks..  If this is the case, why should Princess care.

DON

• Like 4