The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday July 14th, 2022

richwmn

Right now, I'm doing a happy dance.  We have a line of thunderstorms coming through and they are dumping much needed rain. 🌧️🌩️  They are also bring 20 mph winds with strong gusts.  Everything in the port is pretty secure.   For the past hour or so the winds and front have dropped our temperature to 70F.  I'll enjoy that while it lasts.  In just the few minutes it's been raining, we've already gotten 1/10th of an inch, and the storms are to last until about 3:30 this afternoon.

@kazu Jacqui, thanks for sharing @luvteaching Karen's email.  I'm glad they are having a good cruise, but sorry about the azipod problems.  Hope the expert gets it fixed.

@HAL Sailer  I loved the story and picture of our DM at the Acropolis.  All I can say is I'm glad we did the climb when we were in our 50s, otherwise, I'd be resting on the way up too.

Lenda

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, MISTER 67 said:

My parents insisted that I learned the Greek Language when I was in elementary school, so just like in My Big Fat Greek Wedding, off I went to Greek School 2 days a week right after my classes in elementary school. I've forgotten a lot of what I was taught as it was back in the late 1950s but the one shop I believe sells religious articles and candles, the shops owners last name is Constantinos, not sure of his first but I think it's Vendikos

For me it was Hebrew school. A friend from public school was sent to Chinese school. I'd read the name, if I'm looking at the right photo, as Benedictos Constantopoulos, but my only Greek study was on Duolingo before travel this spring.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good morning again from central Texas where the weather is a repeat.  As far as the weather goes, we could be living through a repeating Ground Hog Day, since it never changes.

Happy Bastille Day to all the Dailyites of French descent.  I was told there were French ancestors on my paternal grandfathers side.  So far, using Ancestry, I have not found them.  On one trip to Paris, we did see where the Bastille had once stood.  The Ho-Ho took us there, and it is now a line in the street to mark the place.

Shark awareness is always good, and thank you, Graham @grapau27, for the explanation.  On older DDs free dive to get her certification, the dive master took her down to pet a sleeping nurse shark.  She returned with all her fingers.🤣 On a snorkeling adventure in Raiatea, we were swimming with black tip reef sharks.  We left them alone, and they left us alone.  It has been years since I've had mac and cheese.  I used to fix it for the DDs.  I hope we don't celebrate Pandemonium Day by living in pandemonium.

The Marilyn Monroe quote sounds like something she would say.

We'll pass on the meal because of the coconut milk, and we'll pass on the drink and the wine, too.

@dfish  Debbie, enjoy your lunch with your friend and safe travels today.  As I told @aliaschief the other day, I hope the airline gods look favorably on you and all your flights are on time and your luggage flies on the same plane.  Have a wonderful cruise in Norway.

@grapau27  Graham, it sounds like the doctor visit went well.  Are they exercises to help rebuild the muscle strength around your right knee?  Thank you for your nice comment on my pictures.

@rafinmd  Roy, I loved the sunrise reflecting in the the lake.

@cat shepard Ann, the girls had another hit with the meme.  Have you considered getting them to pick some memes you can used after their visit?

@kazu  Great pictures of Shadow.  Her color and markings remind me our our late granddog Molly, only Molly was bigger.  She was part lab and maybe Australian Shepard.  I hope shadow is as sweet a dog as Molly was once she settled down.  She was also a rescue.

@marshhawk  I hope the pain clinic can help your DH manage the pain without drugs or at least, at a reduced level of drugs.

@Cruzin Terri  Terri, good luck at the dentist office over the bill. 

@smitty34877  Terry, I'm glad you are having such a good and relaxing time at the beach.  Safe travels home tomorrow.

@HAL Sailer  Melisa, that is great news that Curt has progressed enough to go home.  I'm glad he will be getting help and therapy at home, and that his mother will continue to get help.

@Heartgrove  I'm sorry that your brother has not improved since he's been home.

@St Pete Cruiser  Thank you for your comments about my pictures.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, you and all your family, but especially Amy and her children remain in our thoughts during this difficult time.  Enjoyed seeing more of Piraeus.  We walked around there some in 2017, but still have not seen much of the area.

@Overhead Fred  Great pictures, and more open space even after the garage is built.

@cruzn single  Mary Kay, I hope your flight makes it and that your luggage does too.  The airline situation is getting ridiculous.

@0106  Thanks for the mac and cheese recipe.  I think you will do a nice job of filling in for Debbie @dfish.

Lenda

Thank you Lenda.

He suggested a few basic exercises plus I still have the exercise program I got after my keyhole surgery for a torn cartilage in that knee about 10 years ago.

Graham 

• Like 9

3 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Your photos always look so professional unlike people like me with an IPhone and a point and shoot camera.  I enjoyed looking at them.  Thanks!

Your photos are always excellent Sandi plus your description of the photos really helps.

All my photos are from my Android mobile phone.

Graham.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

It has taken me an hour to catch up on all the posts, and it's only 8:00 here on the west coast.  So here we are, on page 3!

Happy Bastille Day!  I also am of French descent and proud of it 🙂    Will pass on the other days, plus the meal (not a fan of coconut or ginger) and drink.  The wine does sound good.  Humorous quote, if not taken too seriously.  We've been to Athens many times and stayed pre and post cruise.  I'll just post some photos from our last time there, which was just last year.  We always enjoy our time there!

Yesterday I spent hours deadheading roses and making progress on getting rid of those Boxwood that seem to have gotten Boxwood Blight after being there at least 25 years.  I'm not too upset, there will be more room for flowers!

Here's a photo of our damaged skylight.  It was taken by the roofer who gave us the first estimate.  As he said, "something had to have hit it very, very hard".  No bird could have done this.  Still hoping we'll find out what did this.

skylight.thumb.jpg.ac110181711e6117bbf11020d928642d.jpg

After having done the tours around Athens and outlying areas on previous visits, our last time there we just did the HOHO and walked around.

Street wares

1421529873_streetwares.jpg.e4269f27cc177c9546b24e607ddb8911.jpg

Ruins in the middle of the city

1529868001_ruinsinthemiddleofthecity.jpg.2f899d48a6cd37743a4346a9d3003d6e.jpg

Excitement of the day, we came upon this large protest. We found out later it was students protesting. This was taken from the bus.

1334091339_protestinAthens.jpg.1e8371dfb2a2c8eed812165be3fa1381.jpg

Kotzia Square

1592410070_KotziaSquareAthens.jpg.641585638173a29c4754c7a3c1b5a04b.jpg

HOHO buses in the parking lot next to our ship.

319609347_HOHObuses.jpg.fc61a9828c96a5bc37330b04f6a0e0f2.jpg

Dionysos Theater

1374694342_DionysosTheaterAthens.jpg.d89a117335e82da7e8f90a98d1f16a39.jpg

Caryatid Porch

960542515_CaryatidPorch.jpg.36abf193d8dd8d1ba46a056fbfeacaf7.jpg

Acropolis

240579362_AcropolisAthens.jpg.84716f565d88dae17348f620dfa4d281.jpg

78641087_Acropolis2.thumb.jpg.e93d14e9dc45d34e12e325b9a1d3b774.jpg

Waterfront

672604011_Athenswaterfront.jpg.15acfdb218d6fd4f00bb365371beca96.jpg

774621962_AthensfromHOHO.thumb.jpg.63d1f6ac356620a0ca45aee669b4690d.jpg

Academy of Athens

1909480438_AcademyofAthens.jpg.eaaf5ea6f862e80e9e6d3b40a623999f.jpg

Oops, almost forgot ---

Debbie @dfishBon Voyage!!!

@HAL Sailersuch good news about Curt!

@ger_77what a wonderful job you did on that bag -- it looks great!

@Quartzsite Cruiser"My Life in Ruins" is indeed a cute movie.  They seem to play it on every cruise in the Med.

Great photos.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning Dailyites. 

I have not gotten past the 1st page this morning. I'll catch up later. Hope everyone is doing well. Prayers for Buddy's entire family. Have an awesome time in Norway Debbie. 

Today is my sisters last day so we are getting a full day in. 

My sweet husbands birthday is today and we will be going to Hula Grill for dinner.

Peace, prayers and blessings 

Wishing your  DH a very  Happy  Birthday and  many more.

Jim.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

There is a saying that timing is everything, and that was certainly true yesterday.  Monday, when I saw the PA about my BP and a few places on my skin, he was concerned about only one place, one that I wasn't that particularly concerned about.  He said they would refer me to a dermatologist, but it would take 7 to 10 business days to hear from them.  

When I got home, DH asked if I'd requested an appointment for him, but I'd forgotten.  Yesterday afternoon, I called the dermatologist's office to see if I could add DH to the referral.  First off, they had not received the referral but she would check on appointment avaiablility.

Here is where the timing paid off.  They had just had a cancellation for July 27, and we got that appointment.  That is the day DH has a PT session, but we could possibly do both.  I mentioned the PT, and she said the next available appointment was in January.  Not being an idiot, I took the on in two weeks.  We'll work out the PT in between.

Lenda

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning Dailyites. 

I have not gotten past the 1st page this morning. I'll catch up later. Hope everyone is doing well. Prayers for Buddy's entire family. Have an awesome time in Norway Debbie. 

Today is my sisters last day so we are getting a full day in. 

My sweet husbands birthday is today and we will be going to Hula Grill for dinner.

Peace, prayers and blessings 

Happy birthday to your husband Joy @Seasick Sailor.

birthday-fireworks.gif.93f1e7c6e52e2869b60c44635b2a604d.gif

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

There is a saying that timing is everything, and that was certainly true yesterday.  Monday, when I saw the PA about my BP and a few places on my skin, he was concerned about only one place, one that I wasn't that particularly concerned about.  He said they would refer me to a dermatologist, but it would take 7 to 10 business days to hear from them.  

When I got home, DH asked if I'd requested an appointment for him, but I'd forgotten.  Yesterday afternoon, I called the dermatologist's office to see if I could add DH to the referral.  First off, they had not received the referral but she would check on appointment avaiablility.

Here is where the timing paid off.  They had just had a cancellation for July 27, and we got that appointment.  That is the day DH has a PT session, but we could possibly do both.  I mentioned the PT, and she said the next available appointment was in January.  Not being an idiot, I took the on in two weeks.  We'll work out the PT in between.

Lenda

I hope you both get an All Clear from the dermatologist Lenda.

Best wishes.

Graham.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Good morning, all! Like many, I think we’ve all had our share of Pandemonium in the last two years and I’ll pass, thanks. Mac and cheese has my full support, and sounds good for tonight.

Well, yesterday was one of those days that surprised us, but in a good way. In the morning, DH got a call from the local supermarket. They have a continuous raffle going, where you put your name and phone # on your receipt and pop it into a bin for the item you like. Something is drawn for every few days. Some time back I put our receipt in for a pop up shade tent. Yesterday it was drawn for, and we won! I was expecting something hat might shade a couple of deck chairs, or possibly just a beach blanket. It turns out to be a 12’ X 10’ screened tent with two doors. It fits over the propane fire table and deck chairs with room to walk around them, and 9’ of clearance in the center! We had just been talking about what a bad mosquito year it is, and how it takes the joy out of evenings outside. Now we have our summer nights back in comfort. What an exciting surprise!

Happy Friday, everyone! I’m off with my coffee to sit in the new screen gazebo and pretend it’s a cabana on a BHB!

Laura

It is time for you to start posting the elevator day of the week mats again.😎 Though some weeks it feels as if it should be Friday already. 

Love your cabana. And the girls & my niece love “our” blouse.

• Like 15
  • Haha 2

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

Busy here today!

A salute to Bastille Day. People are more Shark aware, with the recent sightings and attacks. Hopefully no pandemonium here. I like Mac & Cheese, but don't make it, as BFF doesn't like and I won't make it for just me. Funny quote.

I'll pass on the meal and wine. I like the drink.

I've been to Athens on a land trip, but not to Piraeus.

It's sunny, warm and supposedly less humid, but not to me. We got about 0.1" of rain yesterday. I went for my mammogram this AM, then a stop by the grocery store (I did notice many more people with masks on). I had to call someone to come look at my garage door openers next week; I have been finding one of the two doors open at times. Luckily nothing missing, like lawn mowers or snow blowers. The openers are ancient, and probably need to be replaced.

@StLouisCruisers Continued prayers for you and your family.

@dfish Safe travels. Have a great cruise.

@grapau27 It sounds like the doctor's appointment went well. And good job on the weight loss.

@kazu I hope the toe is healing! Thanks for the pictures of Shadow and for passing on the message from @luvteaching.

@Cruzin Terri The endodontist's office staff sounds clueless. 

@HAL Sailer Great news about Curt! I hope he continues his recovery. Great story and picture of your DM and the Acropolis.

@smitty34877 Enjoy the remainder of your time away, and safe travels home.

@Heartgrove So sorry to hear your brother is not doing well. Safe travels to the wedding.

@0106 Thanks for filling in while Debbie is away! Good job on the Mac & Cheese recipe.

@ger_77 Nice grocery bags; you're very talented, and love the shortcuts. 

@cruzn single Sorry to hear about your flight issues.

@Overhead Fred The yard looks great.

@Dr.Dobro Great picture. Thanks.

@Horizon chaser 1957 Congrats on winning the screened tent!

@Seasick Sailor Happy Birthday to Allen!

@luvteaching Waving to you! Sorry to hear about the azipod and the changes caused by it.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 8

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

The endodontist's office staff sounds clueless. 

That is giving her too much credit.  However, I must say he is a good dentist. However, if I ever need another root canal (God forbid) I will ask my dentist to send me elsewhere.

Terri

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

That's a great story about DM!  She looks younger than 86 in that photo.

You're so right! Mother had a certain timelessness. This is last photo I have. It was taken on Mother's Day 2011. She was still walking two miles each day then. DM passed three months later just short of age 98!

IMG_20220714_170602922.thumb.jpg.12fc991da7c2f59476698fd2a38fdc39.jpg

• Like 21

4 minutes ago, HAL Sailer said:

You're so right! Mother had a certain timelessness. This is last photo I have. It was taken on Mother's Day 2011. She was still walking two miles each day then. DM passed three months later just short of age 98!

IMG_20220714_170602922.thumb.jpg.12fc991da7c2f59476698fd2a38fdc39.jpg

She looked marvelous!  May we all look so well if we make it anywhere near 98!!!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

It's been a day of highs and lows.  

Just found out that our excellent PCC is leaving HAL 😞  He's been with them for decades and is the best we've ever had.  We're kind of in shock right now.  

The good news is that our skylight is being replaced today, for less than half the cost of the first estimate.  He couldn't tell either what happened, he said sometimes even larger birds will pick up and drop small rocks....

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2