Kummelweck sandwich

2 minutes ago, JOHN 57 said:

yes, something new to try out.

When you do tell them to cut the meat as thin as possible.  Make sure you get some sort of gravy between the layers of meat. If you like the topping, give it a try. Get it on the side not on the sandwich. The roll is the most important part of the taste.

42 minutes ago, JOHN 57 said:

waiting till the 15th of August, to try it.

Dont let everyone discourage you . Give it a go , you might even get a good slab of meat and it will actually taste good. 🙂

Enjoy your cruise !

Try it, you may like it.

However, had it last week and was disappointed.  The first time the meat was so tough it was hard to eat.  Second time the meat was softer, and thought it was just "okay" - and did not enjoy the roll it was served on.  It's filling, but would not rave about it.  But food is subjective.

We had our first on Enchantment on our first cruise and really enjoyed them.  They weren't served on Adventure on our May sailing and we missed them.  Not a huge deal, but we hope they are served on Oasis.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Surfguyxxx said:

On my recent Independance OTS cruise in June (short 3 nights booze cruise) they were in the Windjammer with no au jus in sight.  There was a horseradish concoction.  Rolls were day old hard crusted plain and the beef was 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick 🤮 

sounds like they sent the leftovers from parks cafe to the WJ

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

When you do tell them to cut the meat as thin as possible.  Make sure you get some sort of gravy between the layers of meat.

This wasn't an option as the sandwiches were already made and displayed.  Not like it used to be; on this ship anyways.  And again, these were only available in the Windjammer!

Edited by Surfguyxxx

27 minutes ago, Surfguyxxx said:

This wasn't an option as the sandwiches were already made and displayed.  Not like it used to be; on this ship anyways.  And again, these were only available in the Windjammer!

I think that would depend what ship you are on. Ours was on the pool deck. Not the Windjammer. We were able to get it sliced. Going on the Harmony in September. Well se what happens on that ship.

1 hour ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

I think that would depend what ship you are on. Ours was on the pool deck. Not the Windjammer. We were able to get it sliced. Going on the Harmony in September. Well se what happens on that ship.

I was able to get it sliced thin, on Harmony, in December.

On 7/14/2022 at 2:34 PM, Ashland said:

Always cooked way too rare for us.

21 hours ago, Ashland said:

Was on Harmony end of April and it was way too rare for us at the Park Cafe. Hope you have better luck !!

I’ve had them microwave the meat for a bit so it isn’t so rare.

On 7/15/2022 at 2:23 PM, edrussell said:

We had our first on Enchantment on our first cruise and really enjoyed them.  They weren't served on Adventure on our May sailing and we missed them.  Not a huge deal, but we hope they are served on Oasis.

Oasis-class ships serve the sandwich in the Park Cafe. It's a staple there.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

What exactly is this and where do I find it, lol?

Honey stung chicken used to be served on the first day of RC cruises.  Some felt it was really good, others not so much.  Many felt that people liked it because they associated it with the beginning of a cruise, and not necessarily because it was amazingly good.  In my post above, I was suggesting that some people like the kummelweck sandwich mainly because they associate it with cruising, and not because it is necessarily all that good.

Note that honey stung chicken is no longer served.  The kummelweck sandwich is served every day, just to make that clear.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/14/2022 at 5:25 PM, Marie51 said:
On 7/14/2022 at 2:28 PM, trivia addict said:

As a  Buffalo, NY native, I can explain what a true “Beef on Weck” sandwich is. It is a delicious sandwich served as bar food in nearly every tavern in the city.

It consists of thinly sliced, tender roast beef, covered with au jus, and served on a kummelwick bun, with lots of horseradish. A kummelwick bun is a hard roll with rye seeds and salt crystals on top. Don’t know what the sandwich tastes like on RCC, but an authentic one is one you will truly enjoy.

I am also a Buffalo, New York native. I agree completely with what you said. I have never found a beef on weck sandwich as good as we can get in Buffalo.

If it's a choice between eating a good sandwich in Buffalo or a mediocre sandwich on a cruise ship, I know which one I would choose.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2022 at 8:41 PM, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Where on the ship do they have it available? Windjammer?

On non-Oasis class ships you may find them in the WJ. Based on my experience on Indy the past few days… stay away!

2 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

On non-Oasis class ships you may find them in the WJ. Based on my experience on Indy the past few days… stay away!

On Radiance class ships with Park Cafe in the Solarium, the kummelweck sandwiches are there.  On Quantum class ships they are in the Cafe at Two70.  I have never seen them in the WJ.

• Like 2

On 7/14/2022 at 2:28 PM, trivia addict said:

As a  Buffalo, NY native, I can explain what a true “Beef on Weck” sandwich is. It is a delicious sandwich served as bar food in nearly every tavern in the city.

It consists of thinly sliced, tender roast beef, covered with au jus, and served on a kummelwick bun, with lots of horseradish. A kummelwick bun is a hard roll with rye seeds and salt crystals on top. Don’t know what the sandwich tastes like on RCC, but an authentic one is one you will truly enjoy.

Also a Buffalonian here. The RCL kümmel wick sandwich is not as good as our authentic sandwiches here in Buffalo. I will

say I’ve had very good ones on Athem, Symphony and Oasis and very bad ones on Independence this year.  Very inconsistent across the cruise line. 

I've only had them on the Oasis and Allure - and it's been a few years. Having said that, it was my GO TO lunch option - having one every day (and they were excellent).

i-RpgpKcX-X2.jpg

i-4z6Ln5J-X2.jpg

I can only hope the next time I have the chance to try one, that I don't strike out like some of you have...

Tom