Husband is worried about quarantine

zitsky

10 hours ago, Redtravel said:

Quarantine is ok if you test positive.  However, with recent cdc changes, will you be tested? With increased capacities on ships,  being quarantined might not be an option.  You may be disembarked at the next port.  That’s what happened to my friends who were sailing on HAL.  Husband fell on the ship. Went to infirmary to clean up his wounds. Got tested. It was positive. He and his wife were disembarked at the next port.  They were taken by ambulance to a hospital, released next day.  Then it was their problem to arrange to get home. Quarantine on the ship was not an option. 

I would be surprised if that is HAL policy. There are plenty of reports on the HAL board about people being quarantined on the ship. Since a hospital visit was included (which wouldn't be the norm), I'm betting medical wanted the individual observed overnight (concussion risk, maybe?) or checked out more thoroughly than they could do, or were willing to do, on board. Fall coupled with COVID gave them a good excuse to get the COVID person off the ship.

Edited by carolina_yankee

21 hours ago, canderson said:

What's likely to change between now and then?  Not likely that the actual situation on the ground will be much different a year from now.  It's not like shipboard quarantine is new with COVID.  Only perceptions may change ... one hopes.

Agree to this as it relates to Covid, it likely to remain a cold in most cases - I am not concerned about getting Covid. If Celebrity is still requiring quarantine of positive cases then you can bet I will not be visiting the medical center.  

• Like 1

On 7/18/2022 at 10:14 PM, zitsky said:

He plans to mask and is vaccinated.  He just gets crazy thinking about quarantine.  Any suggestions for calming him down?  I asked him, why not cancel our 2022 cruise and do our 2023?  He said, no I want to go on this year’s cruise.

Where’s the best place to find the protocols for quarantine?  Here or on Celebrity.com?

the best place for protocols is right here on CC; we have the most honest and informative people.  As for cruising, yes, it's tough to give up cruising this year; but why take a chance this year?  Our last cruise in 2020 was cancelled and we've been chopping on the bit to go cruising.  But, we are going to wait until March, 2023, when things, we hope, will quiet down. 

1 hour ago, Pickels said:

But, we are going to wait until March, 2023, when things, we hope, will quiet down. 

Quiet down how?  If all that those in charge concern themselves with are positive cases, I'm pretty certain that there will be a variant around in March 2023 to take their interest... and March 2024, and...  We've been told to expect this.

Unless "quiet down" means a reassessment and change to protocols for positive cases, I wouldn't expect next Spring to look any different aboard a Celebrity ship.  In fact, unless extended, a passenger will have even less backing by Celebrity this Fall (Nov 30) when a positive test result just prior to cruising will no longer allow for a refund as it does now, nor pro-rated refund for days spent in isolation aboard ship.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, canderson said:

Quiet down how?  If all that those in charge concern themselves with are positive cases, I'm pretty certain that there will be a variant around in March 2023 to take their interest... and March 2024, and...  We've been told to expect this.

Unless "quiet down" means a reassessment and change to protocols for positive cases, I wouldn't expect next Spring to look any different aboard a Celebrity ship.  In fact, unless extended, a passenger will have even less backing by Celebrity this Fall (Nov 30) when a positive test result just prior to cruising will no longer allow for a refund as it does now, nor pro-rated refund for days spent in isolation aboard ship.

No knock at all on @Pickelscomments as they reflect what many still believe.  Unfortunately what we have been led to believe from the beginning of the pandemic was that COVID would "quiet down".    Then happily ever after cruising!  This is the mythical COVID-Zero state.  First, lock downs, social distancing and masks.  We were waiting for herd immunity by natural infections or then by vaccines.  Then boosters.    Then more boosters.  The virus was doing what RNA viruses do- that is mutate and keep infecting.  Fortunately we are in the better position now with a much less virulent strain(s).  Highly infectious- which helps to out compete more dangerous variants.  So it will not calm down and go away.  Never really.  We must learn to live with it.  And cruise with it if we are so inclined.

• Like 7

On 7/19/2022 at 10:31 AM, TeeRick said:

Give it a year.  Said this in 2020.  Said this in 2021.  Now again in 2022.  Maybe you should change the outlook to decades instead of years.  More likely.  So let's just treat it like every other infectious disease and move on with it.  Exercise some caution when and where necessary.  But move on with it.

Agree.  I'm 70 years old now and in reasonably good health.  So how long would I wait?  I don't know how many more years I can stay healthy and cruise, which I love.  Pre-vaccination was one thing, when the chances of me being seriously ill were much higher.  And even now, I also freak out about the possibility of catching Covid and having to quarantine, but I've sailed 8 times since restart anyway and will continue to do so.    Hoping my luck holds out but if not I'll figure out a way to manage.  As long as I am not likely to get deathly ill, I need to live my life while I still can.

To the OP's question - the main thing I tell myself is even if 5% of people catch it on the ship, that means that 95% don't.  I hope to remain in that 95%!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, canderson said:

If 2023 is the same as 2022, then no cruise for us; our health (I'm 81) is more important than going on a cruise; it was nice back in 2003, but not these days! 

4 hours ago, canderson said:

Our cruise is in early Nov 2022..so will the current refund policies appy if we test pos before we cruise? I assume testing will still be required along with our vax certifications.

Cruise is for only 5 days.  We are hoping to make it thru to use up large  fcc..and after that we can re assess whether cruising is our best vacation option going forward as we age .

Edited by hcat

According to their website the policy is for sailings through the end of November if you test positive within 10 days of sailing.

Book any Celebrity Cruise that’s sailing between now and November 30, 2022, and you’ll have the following reassurance at no extra charge:

• 100% cruise fare refund for you, and your Traveling Party, if any of you tests positive for COVID-19 within 10 days prior to the cruise or at the boarding terminal.**
  • Pro-rated cruise fare refund for anyone who has their cruise cut short due to testing positive for COVID-19 or being suspected of having COVID-19 during the cruise.

10 minutes ago, hcat said:

Our cruise is in early Nov 2022..so will the current refund policies appy if we test pos before we cruise? I assume testing will still be required along with our vax certifications.

Cruise is for only 5 days.  We are hoping to make it thru to use up large  fcc..and after that we can re assess whether cruising is our best vacation option going forward as we age .

Yes.  Anything embarking prior to 1 December is covered (as is ours that starts 31 October!)

image.png.b30a5e4925063f0c05941e3e4c1d15b7.png

8 hours ago, carolina_yankee said:

I would be surprised if that is HAL policy. There are plenty of reports on the HAL board about people being quarantined on the ship. Since a hospital visit was included (which wouldn't be the norm), I'm betting medical wanted the individual observed overnight (concussion risk, maybe?) or checked out more thoroughly than they could do, or were willing to do, on board. Fall coupled with COVID gave them a good excuse to get the COVID person off the ship.

With no reference to time frame it could very well be true.   Probably for the first 6-9 months when Celebrity resumed cruising,  If tested positive you were put off the ship at the next port isolated and flown back to your home via private jet.   You can imagine how expensive this was but was probably necessary to get people back on their ships.   That protocol was ended and various changes have replaced it.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, canderson said:

Yes.  Anything embarking prior to 1 December is covered (as is ours that starts 31 October!)

image.png.b30a5e4925063f0c05941e3e4c1d15b7.png

They will have to either drop pre-cruise testing or continue that policy, we will see going forward. I think they will lose too many bookings if you still have to test negative the day before boarding with no guarantee of some compensation, likely the same for isolation. 

1 hour ago, cangelmd said:

They will have to either drop pre-cruise testing or continue that policy, we will see going forward. I think they will lose too many bookings if you still have to test negative the day before boarding with no guarantee of some compensation, likely the same for isolation. 

As for pre-cruise testing, there's always the old pre-COVID fall-back that they can bring up in lieu of this 'Assistance' program ... buy trip insurance. 

Did they ever provide a pro-rated refund for other isolation incidents like noro?  I don't recall that.

Hard to know which way Celebrity will go on this.

We tested negative on July 6 before our July 8 Alaska cruise. Once we arrived in Alaska it rained nonstop and at every port. We were soaked to the bone for days. I started sneezing and had a runny nose on about the 6th day. I just thought I had a cold from all the cold, wet conditions but as it turns out my wife started getting sick and we both tested positive when we returned home. 

It didn’t occur to me I might have Covid because I wasn’t coughing and didn’t think I had a fever, but even if it had they could have only isolated us for the last day because I was asymptomatic until then. The FB group makes it sound like a significant number of us were infected and tested positive on return. Kinda makes you wonder if the pre-cruise testing is nothing more than theater?

Edited by Elkins45

27 minutes ago, Elkins45 said:

We tested negative on July 6 before our July 8 Alaska cruise. Once we arrived in Alaska it rained nonstop and at every port. We were soaked to the bone for days. I started sneezing and had a runny nose on about the 6th day. I just thought I had a cold from all the cold, wet conditions but as it turns out my wife started getting sick and we both tested positive when we returned home. 

It didn’t occur to me I might have Covid because I wasn’t coughing and didn’t think I had a fever, but even if it had they could have only isolated us for the last day because I was asymptomatic until then. The FB group makes it sound like a significant number of us were infected and tested positive on return. Kinda makes you wonder if the pre-cruise testing is nothing more than theater?

You don't catch a cold from cold and wet conditions.  You catch a cold (or Covid or whatever virus) by being in contact with someone who is ill.  Just because you and maybe some others in your FB group got sick doesn't mean it is nothing more than theater.  It helps (the key word being helps, and not prevents) keep the numbers onboard down.  It is not perfect and never will be.  The cruise lines cannot take the chance of another large outbreak like those in early 2020.  The press coverage would sink them (pun intended).  I do think testing will go away sometime soon, but I also expect them to continue to require vaccines and maybe even boosters to keep the severity of the illness reduced.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

An acquaintance on Infinity just tested positive yesterday. Was not moved to a different stateroom and is just staying in their original room for the duration of the cruise.

Did your acquaintance tell you if there were many other cases on the Infinity?   I'm curious because we're supposed to sail on her soon.  

2 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

The cruise lines cannot take the chance of another large outbreak like those in early 2020.

That was delta, pre-vaccination, where large numbers were presenting with symptoms and therefore many cases were pretty obvious.  This is omicron with a fully vaccinated load of pax.  I'd venture to say they already have a heck of a lot more asymptomatic cases aboard by the end of a cruise than they'd ever want to 'know' about.

7 hours ago, Elkins45 said:

Kinda makes you wonder if the pre-cruise testing is nothing more than theater?

We’re currently on the Princess Regal in the Med on a B3B. As are others, I’m always curious about how many passengers weren’t able to make it to the ship on their scheduled embarkation day, especially since cruising started back up.

So I checked with the Regal Guest Services the day before we arrived in Athens and there were 3,339 “booked” on the Athens to Barcelona leg (which we’re now currently on). I checked again with GS  the day after embarkation while anchored in Santorini, and there are 3,261 that are actually onboard. So for one reason or another, to include testing positive on a C19 test, 78 passengers didn’t board in Athens (according to Guest Services).

I think I’ll do the same thing on our upcoming Greenland/Iceland B2B on the Summit in a few weeks just to see what the difference might be. Of course, I won’t know the “why”, but at least it will be interesting to see if there is a significant count difference.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

We’re currently on the Princess Regal in the Med on a B3B. As are others, I’m always curious about how many passengers weren’t able to make it to the ship on their scheduled embarkation day, especially since cruising started back up.

So I checked with the Regal Guest Services the day before we arrived in Athens and there were 3,339 “booked” on the Athens to Barcelona leg (which we’re now currently on). I checked again with GS  the day after embarkation while anchored in Santorini, and there are 3,261 that are actually onboard. So for one reason or another, to include testing positive on a C19 test, 78 passengers didn’t board in Athens (according to Guest Services).

I think I’ll do the same thing on our upcoming Greenland/Iceland B2B on the Summit in a few weeks just to see what the difference might be. Of course, I won’t know the “why”, but at least it will be interesting to see if there is a significant count difference.

Given flight issues... some of the missing passengers might have been still sitting at an airport someplace... eg Amsterdam's airport has been a mess from what I have read.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

So for one reason or another, to include testing positive on a C19 test, 78 passengers didn’t board in Athens (according to Guest Services).

That's a much smaller number than I would have guessed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kearney said:

Given flight issues... some of the missing passengers might have been still sitting at an airport someplace... eg Amsterdam's airport has been a mess from what I have read.

Really good assumption.   We were on a cruise leaving when Southwest had their meltdown.  About 250 passengers didn't make the cruise last minutes.   Many of them from a Self Awareness Seminar Group.   The ship was originally only at 800 so it was like a private yacht.