The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday July 31st, 2022

richwmn

2 hours ago, dfish said:

Good afternoon fellow Dailyites from 34000 feet above the Atlantic.  We just passed over the Emerald Isle and will soon be south of Iceland.   The day got off to a bad start when Holland lost my sister's suitcase.  It was put out in plenty of time, properly tagged and with mine and Donna's  bags.  All of ours showed up in the cruise terminal, but not Sue's.  She is really upset as she had purchased two beautiful Norwegian knit sweaters in Bergen.   She rarely splurges and treats herself like that.   When we got to the Amsterdam airport she received an email from Holland that they had logged her lost and found claim and would be looking for her red prescription glasses.  That certainly did not help. I'm really hoping they find it.

The bus ride from Rotterdam to Schiphol wasn't bad.  It didn't seem to take too long.   Schiphol was a mess.  It took us 2 hours to get from the parking lot to the airport lounge.  Fortunately we were able to go through priority security.  That helped immensely as well as having priority check in   I don't think I will ever fly through Schiphol without being in Business Class.   Our first flight was on Lufthansa and Business Class there is kind of a joke.  It is more like Economy in the front of the plane.  

@smitty34877 I am so sorry to hear that your whole family has Covid.   Warm wishes for a speedy recovery for all.   

@0106 Another stellar job on the Meal of the Day.  Thank you so much for offering to do it for a couple more days while I sleep and do laundry.  We don't get in tonight until 11:50 pm and are staying in a hotel near the airport.  We both have 3.5 hour drives to get home.

@kazu Sorry about the setback with Shadow, but you know it is three steps forward, two back.   You are so good with dogs that Shadow will come around in her own time.   You'll have many happy bonding experiences.  

Prayers for all who need them, especially Daily members who are facing struggles and challenges. Cheers to all who are celebrating.  Looking forward to getting back to the Daily full time.

I'm so sorry to hear about your sisters suitcase Debbie.

Hopefully it is still somewhere between the ship and the terminal and it will turn up.

Maybe if someone picked the wrong suitcase theirs might still be at the terminal and the cruise company can contact them.

Our large cases and small  cases all have 4 wheels so they are easy for us to push as we always self disembark pushing our own cases off the ship.

Graham.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

hank you for having my DM on the care list. You can take her off now because her quarantine ends today. Thank goodness she had a mild case. 

Great news.

@kazu I think I'll keep you on the care rotation for a while.  It isn't that long and while Shadow is a blessing she's a blessing that brings another round of challenges.

Roy

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, dfish said:

Our first flight was on Lufthansa and Business Class there is kind of a joke.  It is more like Economy in the front of the plane.  

That’s what it was like on British Air when we flew last month. The seats don’t even go back. However, it is nice to have an empty seat between to set drinks. And we had one of our best meals on BA.  

I hope you have a great trip home. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

Oh, there will be some first cousins very close in age 🙂  We have several sets in our family like that, it always makes for fun!  

Sandi @StLouisCruisersThank you for the great job on multi-quoting, 11 in one post!  😄

Yes and @JazzyV @Sharon in AZ and @Quartzsite Cruiseramong many who help make this thread  more manageable, it does take more effort but is appreciated.  

@Sharon in AZ we have found BA to have an amazing international trans Atlantic flights  business class complete with lie flat beds, but the European flights are just with the blocked middle seats.  

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Yes and @JazzyV @Sharon in AZ and @Quartzsite Cruiseramong many who help make this thread  more manageable, it does take more effort but is appreciated.  

@Sharon in AZ we have found BA to have an amazing international trans Atlantic flights  business class complete with lie flat beds, but the European flights are just with the blocked middle seats.  

Yes, exactly, it was London to Barcelona then Venice to London. We had lay flat seats on the London to Phoenix flight but I really liked the AA seats better. However, what was really cool were the sliding doors that closed up the seats on the BA flight. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Yes, exactly, it was London to Barcelona then Venice to London. We had lay flat seats on the London to Phoenix flight but I really liked the AA seats better. However, what was really cool were the sliding doors that closed up the seats on the BA flight. 

Ooh, sliding doors!  Any photos? 

• Like 10

5 hours ago, dfish said:

All of ours showed up in the cruise terminal, but not Sue's.  She is really upset as she had purchased two beautiful Norwegian knit sweaters in Bergen.   She rarely splurges and treats herself like that.   When we got to the Amsterdam airport she received an email from Holland that they had logged her lost and found claim and would be looking for her red prescription glasses.  That certainly did not help. I'm really hoping they find it.

Oh dear Debbie - I sure hope they find it too.  How the heck did it go missing?  We once found one of our pieces in a different colour code.

It would be such a shame if her sweaters were lost 😔

4 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Shadow is keeping you very busy!  I hope the crate training works out before long and not for many months as you anticipate.  

She is - she needs a lot of work and time to get her over her fear.  I’m not sure exactly what she has been through but she came relatively close to  a neighbour today.  Mind you, her tongue was going like crazy.  (She recovered from distemper and now has huge tongue movement if she is excited or scared).

there’s no crate - just the exercise kennel and I’m doing my best to not put her in for a couple of days and make it a gentle experience.

4 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

And hugs to you as you pass the 3 month anniversary of losing Jose.  When is your commemoration at your home?

Assuming I can get the house cleaned up LOL, around September 10th give or take.  My sister and BIL are coming to PEI for their week stay and stopping here so it seems ideal.  early September is usually beautiful here. I need to check the weather reports though.   I just hope I can keep the flowers alive until then. Which reminds me, I better go water.  That was DH’s job.  That should be an interesting experience for Shadow LOL

• Like 24

I am another fan of the Mrs. Murphy series, believe I have read all of Rita Browns book. Another suggestion for books to read while cruising are The Cat Who series by Lilian Jackson Braun.

I will gladly take all the avacados from any of you who don't care for them and exchange them for watermelons. I love the taste of watermelon but the watermelons do not love me. Today's meal and wine sound good.

I agree that we will probably have some variant of Covid with us forever. Thank God the current variations are usually mild. Hopefully Maderna will have it's new vaccine ready in time for me to get a jab before my Nov. cruise. 

There are many different school districts here in the greater Phoenix area and it seems that each district sets it's own date for opening. The Mesa schools begin next week. Sorry I don't know when they get out for spring. Back in the beginning of time when I was in school in New Mexico school started the last Monday in August and ended in the middle of May. We only had the week between Christmas and New Year for our winter break. We were off on Thanksgiving and the next day and got out of school at Noon on Easter.  To quote the old song "the times they are a changing"'.

Jane

• Like 19

Just now, lazey1 said:

I am another fan of the Mrs. Murphy series, believe I have read all of Rita Browns book. Another suggestion for books to read while cruising are The Cat Who series by Lilian Jackson Braun.

I will gladly take all the avacados from any of you who don't care for them and exchange them for watermelons. I love the taste of watermelon but the watermelons do not love me. Today's meal and wine sound good.

I agree that we will probably have some variant of Covid with us forever. Thank God the current variations are usually mild. Hopefully Maderna will have it's new vaccine ready in time for me to get a jab before my Nov. cruise. 

There are many different school districts here in the greater Phoenix area and it seems that each district sets it's own date for opening. The Mesa schools begin next week. Sorry I don't know when they get out for spring. Back in the beginning of time when I was in school in New Mexico school started the last Monday in August and ended in the middle of May. We only had the week between Christmas and New Year for our winter break. We were off on Thanksgiving and the next day and got out of school at Noon on Easter.  To quote the old song "the times they are a changing"'.

Jane

I read the Cat Who series on our last cruise. Great minds here. 

• Like 14

Good Evening Dailyites.

fafed212de7fad3251c498b60e871ab5.jpg

I have not been able to get on all day, of course it was F1, then pay bills, then mail bills, then get lunch then go pay two more bills in person, then go grocery shopping (and I left the list at home) and my friend Penny wanted me to come by and swim at her pool, and my old boss (and friend) called, and well that was my day.  I didn't make it to the pool.  I told her I would be there on Tuesday morning.

I think i've read everyone's posts,  was there a Father David today?  How did I miss the info from @dfish ?  About Sue losing the luggage, and @kazu I loved your earlier memes today.  I remember song lyrics from the 50's 60's and 70's, but cant remember what I had for lunch.  (to me the music died in 73.)  

@AncientWandererMy next cruise is on Carnival but it's a Journeys cruise in the Caribbean.  Key West, Amber Cove, Grand Turk, Grand Cayman and Cozumel.  All places we have been to, and the goal is to do something new, except for Cozumel.  The year before Covid, we were on a cruise docked in Cozumel and we went to Isla Passion.  It was April, and my birthday, and it was too cold to even think about going in the water.  It was a lovely day, in a lovely place, and DH said he wanted to come the next year for his birthday.  So I booked a cruise that would put him in Cozumel for his birthday, and along came Covid, and we changed the cruise, and changed the cruise etc, and our other cruises, and combined a couple, and came up with this 10 days Journey cruise for November of 2020, and then changed it to 2021, and finally going this September.

Alaska is next year on my first ever Holland American Ship, the Nieuw Amsterdam, and I am very excited about the cruise.  My BFF chose the cruise, and is paying for the cruise, as a pay back for out taking him to Alaska September 2016.  I get to pay for the hotels, and the excursions.  And my air fare.  14 days, and yes, it goes to Skagway.  DH and BFF have decided they want the train excursion up to the Yukon.  I have no idea if Canada is going to let us in or not on that excursion.  Still researching.

Well DH just put a bowl of peppermint ice cream, covered in hot fudge in front of me,  I must go now....

• Like 18
  • Haha 3

46 minutes ago, lazey1 said:

Jane

My father introduced me to the Cat Who series many, many, many years ago; so I've read all for them.  Abd I introduced older DD to them.  For Alaska cruises, two authors whose books are set in Alaska are Sue Henry and Dana Stabenow.  Both have two series of books.

12 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

Good Evening Dailyites.

fafed212de7fad3251c498b60e871ab5.jpg

I have not been able to get on all day, of course it was F1, then pay bills, then mail bills, then get lunch then go pay two more bills in person, then go grocery shopping (and I left the list at home) and my friend Penny wanted me to come by and swim at her pool, and my old boss (and friend) called, and well that was my day.  I didn't make it to the pool.  I told her I would be there on Tuesday morning.

I think i've read everyone's posts,  was there a Father David today?  How did I miss the info from @dfish ?  About Sue losing the luggage, and @kazu I loved your earlier memes today.  I remember song lyrics from the 50's 60's and 70's, but cant remember what I had for lunch.  (to me the music died in 73.)  

@AncientWandererMy next cruise is on Carnival but it's a Journeys cruise in the Caribbean.  Key West, Amber Cove, Grand Turk, Grand Cayman and Cozumel.  All places we have been to, and the goal is to do something new, except for Cozumel.  The year before Covid, we were on a cruise docked in Cozumel and we went to Isla Passion.  It was April, and my birthday, and it was too cold to even think about going in the water.  It was a lovely day, in a lovely place, and DH said he wanted to come the next year for his birthday.  So I booked a cruise that would put him in Cozumel for his birthday, and along came Covid, and we changed the cruise, and changed the cruise etc, and our other cruises, and combined a couple, and came up with this 10 days Journey cruise for November of 2020, and then changed it to 2021, and finally going this September.

Alaska is next year on my first ever Holland American Ship, the Nieuw Amsterdam, and I am very excited about the cruise.  My BFF chose the cruise, and is paying for the cruise, as a pay back for out taking him to Alaska September 2016.  I get to pay for the hotels, and the excursions.  And my air fare.  14 days, and yes, it goes to Skagway.  DH and BFF have decided they want the train excursion up to the Yukon.  I have no idea if Canada is going to let us in or not on that excursion.  Still researching.

Well DH just put a bowl of peppermint ice cream, covered in hot fudge in front of me,  I must go now....

Unless the excursion has changed, the White Pass and Yukon train out of Skagway stops short of the Canandian border.  It is a great excursion with great scenery.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 18

3 hours ago, bennybear said:

Ooh, sliding doors!  Any photos? 

I just looked through my pictures and Craig’s pictures and neither of us took any of the door. I think we were too tuckered out by that time. It’s a sliding door the same height as the seat that slides   It’s nice to have as an extra layer of privacy while sleeping. 

We had a huge monsoon storm come through the past couple of hours. And a leak. Oh dear. 

I hope we can all ask the CC police to keep the sermon up. I am going to email them and complain. 

Have a good evening!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Rabbits, white rabbits on this the first day day of August.

Thanks for all the daily reports, food and beverage recipes and photos. We have twice visited Skagway on the Volendam, the photos  bring back good memories, a great train excursion.

@kplady Bon Voyage. 

@smitty34877  so sorry that your DH and Tana have increased problems with the covid.

@kb4683 sending sincere condolences to you and your friend.

@dfish hope that your sister Sue will soon receive her missing luggage.

@lazey1  you mentioned "The Cat Who" books by Lillian Jackson Braun, we discovered them in the libraries of the BHB's we have sailed on,  we really enjoyed reading the books.

@kazu  Three months since Jose passed,  sending you hugs.   Hope that Shadow will soon settle to your routine, as you say you don't know about her previous experiences.    The cat we adopted at the end of April is taking time and patience, she runs away and hides when anyone visits, unfortunately we know nothing of her background.  Sometimes she will sit on me, this morning I was allowed to brush her for a few minutes while she sat on my lap.!

Appreciate the multiquoting posts today, thank you.

Stay safe, take care everyone.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

You would probably need your passport or passport card for that.  Sounds interesting.  Might be a new excursion.

Lenda

You do need a passport (book or card) for it and it's a standard excursion.  WPYR offers several options.

Roy

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Good morning.

It is 06.40am cloudy and 14°C here in North East England.

I am phoning customers from home later this morning but will take Pauline to work in 30 minutes time.

I hope everyone is well.

I have changed my avatar back to cruising.

We were on a tender going to Villefrance from Freedom of the seas.

Graham.

• Like 10

From our guidelines -

Discussion of the management of this community is not allowed on the forums. Your post will be removed and you may receive a Guideline Reminder. However, we would be happy to address any concerns you have via email. Please write to the Community Manager at: community@cruisecritic.com.

Thank you for your cooperation 

1 hour ago, Host Hattie said:

From our guidelines -

Discussion of the management of this community is not allowed on the forums. Your post will be removed and you may receive a Guideline Reminder. However, we would be happy to address any concerns you have via email. Please write to the Community Manager at: community@cruisecritic.com.

Thank you for your cooperation 

This post seems really off-topic and has no context to the daily conversation. Can you explain to the community why you posted what you did?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, HAL4NOW said:

This post seems really off-topic and has no context to the daily conversation. Can you explain to the community why you posted what you did?

Several posts were apparently deleted prior to the post from host Hattie. They included a second repost of the sermon by Graham's wife and comments about management of the thread.

It seems to me that even if someone is reporting the posts they must contain something not permitted by the rules otherwise they would not be deleted.

Hopefully we can let this drop now and get back to the supportive and sharing daily we all love.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

19 hours ago, dfish said:

The day got off to a bad start when Holland lost my sister's suitcase.  It was put out in plenty of time, properly tagged and with mine and Donna's  bags.  All of ours showed up in the cruise terminal, but not Sue's.  She is really upset as she had purchased two beautiful Norwegian knit sweaters in Bergen.   She rarely splurges and treats herself like that.   When we got to the Amsterdam airport she received an email from Holland that they had logged her lost and found claim and would be looking for her red prescription glasses.  That certainly did not help. I'm really hoping they find it.

Oh no! I’m really worried about our luggage going astray when we fly to Montreal to start our 220 day B2B2B2B in September. We’ve bought a set of 4 Apple Air Tags to put in the suitcases. Before we go, I want to do a dummy run with one to test it out. I really don’t want to lose 7 1/2 months worth of luggage.
I really hope they find your sisters luggage soon, and she gets those beautiful sweaters back!

• Like 7