Testing could be changing again as of the 14th

28 minutes ago, teddybear231 said:

I just hate the uncertainty of not knowing if the test could possibly come back positive. I know a few people who had no symptoms, felt fine, but tested positive. 

I agree completely, it is a scary proposition just for a long awaited vacation! Since we sail on the 14th, it is inevitable for this cruise, but at least the second leg of the b2b won’t require testing and it seems this is likely our last “testing” cruise.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Bobbiegentry said:

Nor should it. 

If the cruise lines says you have to be jabbed to cruise, it ends there.  And I haven't seen, yet, where Royal has changed that.  

However, some ports of call have dropped the requirement.  But, that doesn't mean squat if the cruise lines still requires it.  

But, the cruise lines will come to their senses eventually.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Carnival updated (read corrected) their original changes as it relates to the Bahamas - they now appear to mirror RCCL...    

John Heald (Carnival Brand Ambassador

Before I head to my cruise tomorrow I wanted to share the news on testing which many of you have already received from our wonderful President Christine Duffy.
It reads as follows.
“ August 5, 2022
Dear Carnival Guest,
We are pleased to share that our COVID protocols continue to evolve. We remain, as always, committed to the health and safety of our guests, crew and the communities we serve. Effective August 8, 2022, guests should be guided by the following COVID-19 testing requirements related to cruises visiting The Bahamas. This applies specifically to itineraries 5 days or shorter only:
• Vaccinated guests do not have to present a COVID test result at embarkation.
• All unvaccinated guests must present the negative results of a pre-embarkation test – either
a supervised PCR or an antigen test taken up to three (3) days prior to embarkation.
For complete information on vaccination and testing requirements and other protocols, please visit
our Have Fun. Be Safe. page here.
We apologize for the late notice but trust you will find this to be good news.”

2 hours ago, teddybear231 said:

I just hate the uncertainty of not knowing if the test could possibly come back positive. I know a few people who had no symptoms, felt fine, but tested positive. 

It absolutely happens, I know several.

7 hours ago, rudeney said:

For some, it may the expense, especially if they don't realize they can pay $10-$20 for a proctored test instead of $100++ at a chain drugstore.  For most, I believe it's the stress of having to take a test that is a snapshot measurement of something totally beyond their control.  Most people would not board a cruise ship or even go out in public if they were truly sick, but with this, you can test positive and have your entire vacation canceled yet experience zero symptoms or symptoms no worse than allergies.  We here reports on the forums every day that someone came back from a cruise and tested positive for COVID and felt a little bad for a few days, or even that one spouse was positive and one was not.  I've not seen a single person say they were so sick they needed medical treatment, although a few did get it prophylactically.  If people were truly getting very sick or even dying because of COVID on a cruise ship, it would be plastered all over the news with headlines about "petri dishes".  Continue to test and making otherwise healthy positive people stay home is about in line with being told you have cooties.

I’m going to disagree with you on one point.  I think most people do lots of things when they are sick and this is true long before Covid.  People go to work sick, parents send kids to school sick.  I can’t tell you how many parents we’ve met who even bring their kids to parties a little off or after just being sick in bed the day before (as if they aren’t contagious anymore).  Got tickets for a big concert and feeling off, most people aren’t going to skip it.   Same for any other big event.  Heck, I had a regular in my golf foursome show up quite sick saying he thought he might have the flu.  He looked horrible.  I had a 6 moth old at the time and he knew that well.  But he didn’t want to miss golf on Saturday.  I was pissed about that one because I was worried I’d get it a give it to my baby daughter.  

Many will board a cruise sick and this was true long before Covid.  It’s just human nature I guess.  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, topnole said:

Many will board a cruise sick and this was true long before Covid.  It’s just human nature I guess.  

Well, I'd disagree with the word "many".  I'd go along with "some"  No matter, I do not want to punish all people into doing something that they don't want to do just because of "some" people.  Punishment is a matter of perception.  

And you said yourself, "long before COVID".  We didn't require anyone back then to be jabbed, masked, or whatever.  Yet, we survived.  

Having said all that, you really didn't say or offer a solution.  I'm hoping it isn't status Quo. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, topnole said:

I’m going to disagree with you on one point.  I think most people do lots of things when they are sick and this is true long before Covid.  People go to work sick, parents send kids to school sick.  I can’t tell you how many parents we’ve met who even bring their kids to parties a little off or after just being sick in bed the day before (as if they aren’t contagious anymore).  Got tickets for a big concert and feeling off, most people aren’t going to skip it.   Same for any other big event.  Heck, I had a regular in my golf foursome show up quite sick saying he thought he might have the flu.  He looked horrible.  I had a 6 moth old at the time and he knew that well.  But he didn’t want to miss golf on Saturday.  I was pissed about that one because I was worried I’d get it a give it to my baby daughter.  

I have seen some people out and about who looked really sick, but it's rare.  I can say that for me, I always have some sort of upper respiratory issue - sneezing, coughing, congestion - I just have year-round allergies.  I also have a neurological disorder that causes constant headaches that very from a 5 to an 11 on the 10-point pain scale, so sometimes, I might look "sick" when in reality, I don't "feel sick" and it's just my normal.  You may be right, though, because I know people will push themselves when it comes to losing money or opportunity.  

1 hour ago, watcher_62 said:

Carnival updated (read corrected) their original changes as it relates to the Bahamas - they now appear to mirror RCCL...    

John Heald (Carnival Brand Ambassador

Before I head to my cruise tomorrow I wanted to share the news on testing which many of you have already received from our wonderful President Christine Duffy.
It reads as follows.
“ August 5, 2022
Dear Carnival Guest,

This has no applicability whatsoever to Royal Caribbean.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DaKahuna said:

This has no applicability whatsoever to Royal Caribbean.  

Read page 3 and you'll see Carnival's announcements were quoted, and there was confusion around why they included the Bahamas in their "require testing list" when RCCL did not. What I am posting is Carnival's correction to that statement. 

• Like 2

On 8/4/2022 at 7:45 PM, Another_Critic said:

It's great that you can now test 3 days prior, but that makes the test even more useless.  

Depends on the "real use" of the test 

For the goal of  preventing covid from coming on board, of course tests done 3 days prior (and then undertaking relatively higher exposure journey from home to port) are not much of value medically 

These kind of requirements, though,  do serve as a deterrent to certain type of people who are most likely to engage in risky activities (and hence more likely to bring and spread covid onboard)

But real reason for testing, at this point, in absence of govt mandates is more for show (similar to ineffective checks done in Security lines at airports)

Requirements will go away or may get stricter based on feedback from PR/Legal/Marketing teams 

After all, their main goal is revenue increase for the cruise line, not public health 

Edited by hal2008

10 minutes ago, hal2008 said:

After all, their main goal is revenue increase for the cruise line, not public health 

I'm not trying to start a whole other debate here and I have no issue with you.  However, I personally believe that an industry like a cruise line believes that their public is the people on their ships.  Therefore, if a cruise line experiences a "public health" issue, it could effect its revenue.  Just like Legionnaires disease did.  It severally had an impact on Celebrity and the Horizon had in 1994.  It impacted, maybe just a little, the passenger count and it cost the cruise line millions of $$$ in court ordered restitutions and legal fees.  

Not to mention how much COVID effected the entire industry, even though COVID didn't start on a cruise line, it almost drove the entire industry to bankruptcy.  I think the cruise industry has to keep both "public health" and revenue in their sights.  And many other things.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

I'm not trying to start a whole other debate here and I have no issue with you.  However, I personally believe that an industry like a cruise line believes that their public is the people on their ships.  Therefore, if a cruise line experiences a "public health" issue, it could effect its revenue.  Just like Legionnaires disease did.  It severally had an impact on Celebrity and the Horizon had in 1994.  It impacted, maybe just a little, the passenger count and it cost the cruise line millions of $$$ in court ordered restitutions and legal fees.  

Not to mention how much COVID effected the entire industry, even though COVID didn't start on a cruise line, it almost drove the entire industry to bankruptcy.  I think the cruise industry has to keep both "public health" and revenue in their sights.  And many other things.

Agree.

They certainly will  keep "public health" in mind as it will inevitably affect profits 

Point was that their primary objective is (and should be) their bottom line. Everything is secondary and only to the extent if affects primary goal directly or indirectly in short or medium timeframes.  (That's why if public health is a consideration, appropriate regulations are needed. Self-regulatiome have not worked well  in ANY industry - finance, pharma, aviation - cruise will not be an exception)

17 minutes ago, brillohead said:

So, because Royal's wording leaves a bit to be desired...

A family with unvaccinated children going on an Alaskan cruise this week that visits a Canadian port.... the kids still need a PCR test, or they can take an antigen test????

Maybe @Ourusualbeach can help?

As far as I know there have been no changes made to itineraries that visit Canadian ports or Bermuda

31 minutes ago, brillohead said:

So, because Royal's wording leaves a bit to be desired...

A family with unvaccinated children going on an Alaskan cruise this week that visits a Canadian port.... the kids still need a PCR test, or they can take an antigen test????

Maybe @Ourusualbeach can help?

Here is the latest.  PCR it is 

testing 1.jpg

Testing 2.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 8/4/2022 at 11:43 PM, Ourusualbeach said:
As the cruise sector continues to evolve and adapt to an everchanging environment, we look forward to moments where we can share progressive movement. While continuing to prioritize the health and safety of our guests, crew, and the communities we visit, we are excited to begin transitioning to a point that more closely aligns with other travel and hospitality sectors. With that, we are pleased to announce the easing of test requirements for most U.S. itineraries.

Testing Update: For your clients sailing from the U.S. August 8 -  August 14th, 2022: 
  • Fully vaccinated guests will only have to show a test result at boarding if the sailing is 6 nights or longer.
  • Unvaccinated children will still need to show a test result to board all sailings, regardless of length. However, they will not need to test again at the terminal.
  • Guests will now have the same test standard, regardless of vaccination status: You can show a negative test result from a supervised PCR or antigen test taken within 3 days of boarding day. 
This revision does not apply to guests whose itinerary visits Canada or Bermuda. These clients will still need to follow our current testing protocols until further notice.

Please note that guests confirmed on U.S. sailings departing on or before August 7, 2022, should adhere to protocols previously communicated.

For those clients booked after August 14, 2022, please await the specific protocol details from us related to those sailings. 

As we begin to transition to a point where everyone, regardless of vaccination status, will be able to sail with us once again, we continue to work closely with our destination partners. Additional information will soon follow, however, until then, current vaccine guidance remains unchanged.

What does this mean for Vaccinated adults from August 14th do they still have to test or not on 7 day cruises ?

Edited by never_cruised

4 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Here is the latest.  PCR it is 

testing 1.jpg

Testing 2.jpg

The last part that says ports that will continue to follow current protocols all go to Canada or Bermuda currently and/or are all longer than 5 nights.  That will change over the next month or two when Alaska and Bermuda cruises stop.  At that point, Canada will be the only issue for some cruises.

On 8/4/2022 at 9:55 PM, ssb said:

Nothing has changed for Copenhagen including Certificates of Recovery with provisions for Certificates of Recovery use still in place . Correct ? 

On 8/4/2022 at 10:01 PM, not-enough-cruising said:

It is my understanding that nothing has changed for European embarkation 

does this mean a Certificate of Recovery IS accepted in Copenhagen?

11 hours ago, Ret MP said:

Well, I'd disagree with the word "many".  I'd go along with "some"  No matter, I do not want to punish all people into doing something that they don't want to do just because of "some" people.  Punishment is a matter of perception.  

And you said yourself, "long before COVID".  We didn't require anyone back then to be jabbed, masked, or whatever.  Yet, we survived.  

Having said all that, you really didn't say or offer a solution.  I'm hoping it isn't status Quo. 

Yeah.  I’m not trying to offer a solution.  I’m simply stating there has been and will always be the issue of sick people boarding ships.  And I disagree with you and still believe many is the appropriate word.  I’m not saying most or a certain percentage, just that it is many.  In a situation of very large numbers, many is the correct word.  For example, many people get shingles every year.  It is very small percentage of people, yet many still get it.  Royal boards about 30000 passengers a week just in oasis class

ships.  Let’s say they board 60-75k a week throughout the fleet.   That would be 240-300k passengers per month.   If only 1% board sick, and I’m sure it is higher than that, you are talking about thousands of passengers boarding sick every month.  The reality is that it is much higher than that.   So I do think many is a more than appropriate term.  

People are selfish.  It is a basic assumption in economics models.  There is not debating it.  Plus many folks are

uninformed as to how contagious certain illnesses can be.  

We went to a birthday party with our young daughter.  36 hours later she was ill all night.  Turns out one of her little best friends was throwing up just the night before and her parents still brought her because they didn’t want to miss the big party.  Well, several of us were then up all night tending to our poor little kids and cleaning up messes.  All because of the careless, ignorant, and selfishness behavior of these parents.  You don’t bring a kid to a party when they were throwing up the day before.  Stomach bug viruses (and there are many of them) almost all cause the person to be contagious after they feel better.  And they are highly contagious and require very thorough cleaning to kill (ie. Bleach not other types of cleaning agents).  That is why these things get passed on so easily.  And so many people just say they had food poisoning and go out spreading it the next several days.  That is what these parents just assumed.  Barring very clear evident everyone should assume the opposite, but many don’t because they are selfish.  “Must of just been something I ate, I’ll still go because I feel better now. “.   Recipe for a lot of sick people.  

• Like 1

Just now, ssb said:

I believe so , my wife and I both have one and plan on using them . 

thanks, my husband got one the other day for our Sept 4 cruise. In his case he didn’t even test positive until the 5th day he was feeling a bit off. He only tested because I forced him. We both have allergies and that’s all it seemed he had.

• Like 1