16 year old photo ID accepted?

tx121

I don’t believe so as it’s not a government issued ID. You’re going to need one of those or a passport/passport card according to cbp website since he’s 16.  Most states allowed minors to get an ID card. 

Edited by 911Minion
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, ARandomTraveler said:

It surprises me how often questions like this come up on cruise critic. Why do so many people refuse to get passports? 

Why do so many people refuse to own a car?  Because it's a hassle and expensive... Same with a passport.  

It would be a much nicer place to visit if we didn't have all these people insisting that people get passports instead of using the documents allowed on a closed loop cruise.

Not everyone needs a passport beyond the one or two times they use it on cruise... and at $165 for a first-time 16 year old (it's $135 if you're under 16 but only valid for five years), that's not an insignificant outlay for many families.

Edited by Lane Hog
  • Like 3

43 minutes ago, Lane Hog said:

Why do so many people refuse to own a car?  Because it's a hassle and expensive... Same with a passport.  

It would be a much nicer place to visit if we didn't have all these people insisting that people get passports instead of using the documents allowed on a closed loop cruise.

Not everyone needs a passport beyond the one or two times they use it on cruise... and at $165 for a first-time 16 year old (it's $135 if you're under 16 but only valid for five years), that's not an insignificant outlay for many families.

Not an apples-to-apples comparison. You don't need a car to get around, but it's generally a requirement by the governments of the entire world that you have a passport to travel internationally.

The fact that there's a gray-area loophole allowing people to use a birth certificate and government issued ID to cruise shouldn't be a reason to forgo getting the passport. For one, some people (like this 16 year old) don't have the proper documentation to even do it that way. 

Second, if something happens and a person needs to fly home instead of complete the cruise, you can't do that with a birth certificate.

So many issues could be caused by getting stuck in another country without a passport, and it seems like someone who thinks $165 is a lot of money might not be able to afford the astronomical costs of getting stuck in another country. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, matj2000 said:

Why don't the 16 yo have a Drivers License?

I have 2 teens that did not wish to get their license right away. Both decided to get their license at 18. 

To the original poster, we just got our boys when they were 16 state IDs and passports. 

7 minutes ago, ARandomTraveler said:

The fact that there's a gray-area loophole allowing people to use a birth certificate and government issued ID to cruise shouldn't be a reason to forgo getting the passport. For one, some people (like this 16 year old) don't have the proper documentation to even do it that way. 

Second, if something happens and a person needs to fly home instead of complete the cruise, you can't do that with a birth certificate.

It is not a gray area loophole. It is a legal exception to having to have a passport. Cruise lines lobbied for the closed loop exception. 

I would not cruise without a passport but having done over 60 cruises I have never had to fly home. So the odds are pretty low. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

It is not a gray area loophole. It is a legal exception to having to have a passport. Cruise lines lobbied for the closed loop exception. 

I would not cruise without a passport but having done over 60 cruises I have never had to fly home. So the odds are pretty low. 

I agree that it's low, but it's something to consider when weighing the risk. 

And my other point still stands - $165 isn't a lot of money. It should just be considered part of the cost of traveling. And if it IS a lot of money, maybe one shouldn't be spending that kind of money on a vacation 👀.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ARandomTraveler said:

I agree that it's low, but it's something to consider when weighing the risk. 

And my other point still stands - $165 isn't a lot of money. It should just be considered part of the cost of traveling. And if it IS a lot of money, maybe one shouldn't be spending that kind of money on a vacation 👀.

probably none of your business what others consider a lot of money

• Like 6

Just now, cruisinfanatic said:

probably none of your business what others consider a lot of money

Probably not, but it doesn't preclude me from making the observation that if $165 is stretching someone's budget then spending thousands of dollars on a cruise is probably not the most responsible thing to do, especially when you have a 16 year old kid who might want to go to college in a couple years.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Pier staff in Seattle would accept a photo school ID along with a birth certificate for a 16 yr old if you were on an Alaska cruise.  I can't speak to what other ports would do.

Though it's been Dozen yrs the last time(and Before) I used School Pictured ID's and BC's for my Kids threw and including age 16, this at Port Canaveral and Port Everglades, This for Closed Circuit Caribbean Cruises

Edited by ONECRUISER