The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday August 18th, 2022

richwmn

Good morning Dailyites. 

Unlike Lenda, we had no rain last night, but we are due starting this afternoon. I dislike reading "possible rain and thunderstorms" .

Sandi prayers for the kids. Hoping they arrive without any complications. 

Jacqui hoping to hear from you today. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Debbie asked our friends for some time to reflect on what happened to her brother yesterday and we all get together soon. Still don't know what happened...

After a lovely birthday dinner last night (my long awaited veal chop) we played games and had (several) nightcaps. My girlfriend decided she wanted to learn to drive Elvis, so 3 of us hopped in and away we went. We were surprised to see so many people out after 10. I have a bag of dog cookies in Elvis and fed all the pups along the way. No wrecks and everyone was dropped off safe and sound. 

Tonight is Mahjongg. I am making a veggie quiche and salad and Cosmo's. 

I do like @dfish Debbie's recipes and like barbacoa. I'd like Roy's meal as well.

Gerry this bad poetry poem is for you:

image.png.724993cbbe6442e4c3e87afe19bcfbe4.png

image.png.a0354736faed6289ceccc661cc192ed4.png

Prayers, cheers, and blessings. Xx

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

So does anyone else agree with me that smoke detectors only start chirping at night? 

Yes, absolutely.

Safety advisory: test all detectors when you return from vacation, in case a battery wore out while you were away.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 5

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  Pretty sure I can write bad poetry, I love serendipitous happenings - @marshhawkgreat story!  Just last year the discovery was made of a large amount of helium in the southwest part of our province, but please don't let it go into balloons that fly high and end up in our oceans or farmlands.

I feel quite a bit better this morning - after coming here yesterday for a brief time, I went back to bed and slept another solid 6 hours.  It's like having sleeping sickness with a cough.  Weird.  Both DH and I find we're also experiencing night sweats - something neither of us is accustomed to - ugh.  At least my head feels clearer this morning; lets hope it lasts.

I'm sorry to see we've had people losing friends, kitties who are sick, and missing rescue dog Shadow.  That is sad and distressing for everyone involved.  My heart goes out to all of you.  

Today's menu suggestion sounds easy with the slow cooker, but like @smitty34877has indicated, food doesn't hold much appeal right now.  And if you knew us at all, you'd know that food has always played a huge role in our lives.  That being said, our fridge is full with Chinese delights from our not quite adopted daughter Sophia's parents.  Last night it was dumplings and vegetable fried rice that showed up magically at the doorstep.  DH and I each had a dumpling and a forkful of rice and that was enough, but our temporary student doesn't seem to have lost her appetite and enjoyed a full serving of each.  She's young and needs the energy to fight this thing, so we were happy to see her eating.   You know the worst part?  I don't even want wine right now; I hope that isn't a long lasting thing, because we've got the Signature Beverage Package for both of our upcoming cruises and I'd hate to waste it!  LOL

Prayers for everyone who needs them and cheers to everyone celebrating.  You're all in my thoughts till tomorrow.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 30
  • Thanks 4

13 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

Yes, absolutely.

Safety advisory: test all detectors when you return from vacation, in case a battery wore out while you were away.

Sometimes we return home from a trip and hear the detector battery chirping first thing when we walk in the door.  You wonder how long that darn thing has been chirping! Good idea to test them in case a battery is dead.🔋

• Like 20

Good morning everyone. I’m having a hard time waking up this morning. For some reason inwas up every couple of hours through the night.

Grandson number two planning a trip out to see us before he leaves for college at the end of this month. I’ve already said goodbye to grandson number 3 who leaves this week. Both attend college in NYS but not near each other. Grandson number  one is living in LA for several years now and working in the entertainment business. The remaining two are going to be juniors in high school. Where does the time go? We will have three graduations next year. Two from high school and one from college.

I thought we were done with the heat but it’s going to be 90 degrees today.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 28

9 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

I just found out that my neighbor who, who was on hospice, passed away last night.

Thank you all for your prayers and concern.

May she Rest In Peace.

Terri

Terri I'm sorry to hear your neighbor passed. Yes, may she be at peace.

• Like 17

Since it is bad poetry day, I thought I would share an old Red Skelton poem from many years ago.

Roses are Red,

Violets are Purple,

Sugar is Sweet,

And so is Maple Surple.

I didn't say it was a good poem, but it has been around for years.

• Like 11
  • Haha 12

Good morning all!

We'll get a high of 86 F today, but with a cloud cover so I'm thinking humidity.  Good day to stay inside and catch up on the laundry!

Interesting days and if I wrote poetry it would definitely be bad poetry.  Will pass on the meal but the wine and drink both sound good.  We'll go to Noumea on the Grand Australia '24, I look forward to any photos.  

I'm still a bit shaken from some news DD shared with us.  On the first day of their road trip to Crater Lake they heard a strange "whump whump" sound as they were driving.  They pulled over and discovered that 3 of the 4 lug nuts on a tire were gone!!  All we can think is that someone either wanted that tire and was interrupted  or was pulling a terrible sick joke (DSIL parks in a large parking lot in Seattle for work).  Long story short, the tire guy told them it was a miracle that they were ok.  So I'm saying a lot of prayers of thanks right now!!  

Gerry @ger_77I was glad to hear that you're feeling better this morning.  As for the appetite loss, our DD lost 10 pounds when she had Covid (!!) so I'm not surprised to hear the reports of no appetite.

Sandi @StLouisCruisersyou are so right about the timing of smoke alarms' batteries.  Why is that???  Living in GA you probably haven't had this, but we've also noticed that on very cold nights it seems to happen even more.  When we were gone on a long cruise a few years ago, my neighbor (who was checking on our house while we were gone) noticed a chirping coming from the smoke alarm in our bedroom.  Bless her heart, she changed the battery for us.

Terri @Cruzin TerriI'm so sorry to hear about your neighbor.

@1ANGELCATsending good wishes for a good outcome from Fluff's surgery.

@RedneckBobI'll say it again, I love your stories and humor!

• Like 19
  • Thanks 5

23 minutes ago, travelnap said:

Since it is bad poetry day, I thought I would share an old Red Skelton poem from many years ago.

Roses are Red,

Violets are Purple,

Sugar is Sweet,

And so is Maple Surple.

I didn't say it was a good poem, but it has been around for years.

that is from the Roger Miller song 'Dang me', and was the first thing I thought about when I saw bad poetry.

btw - the next line goes

And I'm the seventh out of seven sons

My Pappy was a pistol and

I'm a son of a gun.

• Like 15
  • Haha 10

Good morning!  Sending prayers for speedy recovery for those with Covid.   
I had a nasty wasp sting , so the Benadryl is making me sleepy.     
@Cruising-along so glad your family is safe!   We had  Reports of people doing this early in the pandemic to out of towners!  Yikes,  Many years ago I was driving our truck and camper and had a blow out of a front tire, extremely scary.  
@marshhawklove your story 

and @RedneckBob yours too!   

957303C7-2633-475E-BFA7-29C2F7F6C7FD.jpeg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

53 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

I just found out that my neighbor who, who was on hospice, passed away last night.

Thank you all for your prayers and concern.

May she Rest In Peace.

Terri

Very sad news.

Condolences to all her family and friends.

Graham.

• Like 14

14 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

Thanks Cruising-along. I don’t know where it comes from.
A couple of hours ago I had my annual eye exam and the tech gave me a new test. The tech said tell me how many fingers do I have up. This was repeated several times and I answered correctly each time. Then I said, “Great, last week a Florida State Trooper gave me the same test and I failed”. 😳

• Like 6
  • Haha 14

31 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

We'll get a high of 86 F today, but with a cloud cover so I'm thinking humidity.  Good day to stay inside and catch up on the laundry!

Interesting days and if I wrote poetry it would definitely be bad poetry.  Will pass on the meal but the wine and drink both sound good.  We'll go to Noumea on the Grand Australia '24, I look forward to any photos.  

I'm still a bit shaken from some news DD shared with us.  On the first day of their road trip to Crater Lake they heard a strange "whump whump" sound as they were driving.  They pulled over and discovered that 3 of the 4 lug nuts on a tire were gone!!  All we can think is that someone either wanted that tire and was interrupted  or was pulling a terrible sick joke (DSIL parks in a large parking lot in Seattle for work).  Long story short, the tire guy told them it was a miracle that they were ok.  So I'm saying a lot of prayers of thanks right now!!  

Gerry @ger_77I was glad to hear that you're feeling better this morning.  As for the appetite loss, our DD lost 10 pounds when she had Covid (!!) so I'm not surprised to hear the reports of no appetite.

Sandi @StLouisCruisersyou are so right about the timing of smoke alarms' batteries.  Why is that???  Living in GA you probably haven't had this, but we've also noticed that on very cold nights it seems to happen even more.  When we were gone on a long cruise a few years ago, my neighbor (who was checking on our house while we were gone) noticed a chirping coming from the smoke alarm in our bedroom.  Bless her heart, she changed the battery for us.

Terri @Cruzin TerriI'm so sorry to hear about your neighbor.

@1ANGELCATsending good wishes for a good outcome from Fluff's surgery.

I don't blame you for being upset about the lug nut removal which could have caused a horrible accident.  Unbelievable!  I;m so glad they are all okay and pulled over before something terrible happened.  

DS's plane looks like it just arrived in Singapore.  Now I can breathe a sigh of relief!

I can believe that colder weather caused the batteries to drain faster, causing them to chirp during winter months.  We used to live in colder climates so have experienced that too.  However, Georgia does get pretty cold temps in winter also.  Just not as bad for a long period of time. It has its ups and downs.  It could be 5 degrees one week and the following week 70.  What a nice neighbor changing your battery for you while you were away.  Safety for your home, just in case!

And I just checked the Juneau webcam and it's still foggy as can be there.  Not a great day for passengers who won't be able to see anything from the tram up the mountainside.   I bet no one buys a ticket, and the prepaid shore excursions are a bust!

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

Good morning, all! I have a mental image of whoever discovered Helium turning to someone and saying ‘ I think we have a new element here.’ in a high squeaky Mickey Mouse voice.

We finished our walk early. It’s going to be hot, and didn’t cool down much last night. Dinner at the neighbours was a lot of fun, but the house was hot! 
Tomorrow we head to the mainland for at least a week, so lots of tidying up today.

@ger_77 I’m glad you’re doing better, and hopefully you and your DH will get your appetites back soon. Bad news, there is a post Covid complication no one talks about but you need to know. Your palette changes. My DBIL surprised me with a glass of my favorite red and I didn’t even recognize it. All my wines tasted different to me. For a short time, I could even drink oaked Chardonnay. The good news is that your palette will come back. It’s just shocking for a few weeks. Your Daily wine sisters will be here for you in that time.

@Cruzin Terri Terri, my condolences on your neighbour’s passing. Even when it is expected, it is still a shock.

Happy Thursday, everyone. Enjoy all the bad poetry you want aboard a BHB.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

Good afternoon everyone.

Just a quick update and a vent if you don’t mind too much.

It was a long night last night.  

The supposed rescue team was not out yesterday looking for Shadow.  It was pouring rain and I mean pouring.  they don’t work in that weather.  But Liz was out there searching.  Then, as she was leaving she found out there was a sighting at a different gate that she wasn’t advised of and she drove home crying.

The ‘rescue team’ plans to set a Live trap to catch her.  And, once they catch her she will be tossed in a crate and taken somewhere to “decompress”.  She will completely freak out and possibly damage her legs more.  Liz has asked them to please not do that.  She needs to be soothed not caged.  I know how she reacts to a crate.  One attempt here and it was put away.  She regressed and it took 3 days to bring her back to the point I had her before.  If they put her in a room with a floor she can’t walk on and no “outside” she will lose what spirit she has left.

Liz has a new sighting and is back out there desperately trying to find her before the Live trap gets set up.

She wants me here in case anyone personally messages me with any info so I can get it to her ASAP.

I am going to have to do some digging to see what wonderful thing I can get for her that will give her joy.  Her dedication and determination to help this dog is beyond words and measure.

I don’t know who is sadder and angrier - her or me.

I’ll try to be back tomorrow, more attentive and following everyone’s day.  Today I’m not good at that stuff.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 28