The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday August 31st, 2022

richwmn

2 minutes ago, HAL Sailer said:

@rafinmd Roy, 

Thanks for elevating my DSIL on the Care list. We have just learned that the full body PET scan and brain MRI tests to determine how far her melanoma has spread will both be done Sept 13. Since nothing more will be known or decided till mid-Sept, perhaps Ardis should move back to the rotation?

The care and prayer are appreciated,

-Melisa

It's good to hear the tests have been scheduled.  Prayers for your DSIL as she navigates this and makes the tough decisions.  

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Testing. 

I tried posting last night and this morning from my iPad and though they seemed to  go through, I do not see either. 

Am wondering if I’m having an issue.

So I am testing my iPhone. 

The front of our train to Seward. 0D88625E-30C1-4C64-8FFB-852777033E47.jpeg.cdbb748fd219a82f9e394c8aa1f11800.jpeg

🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

Ok this posted successfully. I will ost shorter messages using my iPhone. I know you are happy. 

Currently sitting on train to Whittier waiting to go there to go out on a glacier tour. 

Monday the 29th was tough. We had to get up around 4:45 a.m. to head to the train station & go to Seward. We stayed really close and had a 6 minute walk in the cool morning air. The train was fun. The process very smooth. Gorgeous scenery One bald Eagle watched us travel by. 

Our room was ready at the hotel. Luggage arrived safely. Spent the afternoon exploring Seward. It felt good to walk around. A wonderful meal of roasted beets and goat cheese, combined with a grilled halibut with mango salsa main course. We shared both courses and the meal was perfect.  Back early to get organized for Tuesday and get to sleep. 

Tuesday’s Kenai Fjords boat tour was spectacular. A mix of sun clouds and short periods of rain. We saw lots of Puffins, Cormorants, Harbor seals, sea lions and at the end of the tour when the sun had come back out, two pods of Orcas.  

More to follow. 

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 5

2 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Testing. 

I tried posting last night and this morning from my iPad and though they seemed to  go through, I do not see either. 

The front of our train to Seward. 0D88625E-30C1-4C64-8FFB-852777033E47.jpeg.cdbb748fd219a82f9e394c8aa1f11800.jpeg

🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

Aren't these train rides to the ship fun?  Hope you have lots of fun!

• Like 9

Good morning, Dailyites, and thanks to Rich, Roy, and all the Daily posters!  Praying for those with troubles now, and as I think I am back to normal, I will raise a glass this evening to those celebrating - anybody celebrating?  Actually, I am, because Pat went to the doctor yesterday, got a few keratoses zapped, and told the doctor about his bee sting in Reykjavik and the doctor prescribed an Epipen.  Pat is very nonchalant about the danger, so I will be carrying the Epipen for him!  He used to always take one with him on his business travels, but got very lax about it.  Now I imagine his histamines are elevated again.

Another celebration will be our cruise in 10 days!  Just got an itinerary change last night - Sitka for Glacier Bay day and vice versa.  Any ideas why they would do this?  I wondered if it meant there were too many ships in Glacier Bay on the 19th, so we had to change?

We visited Manta in 2017 on the Zaandam.  I seem to remember mainly HEAT!  We went to the fish market, too, and then to a park to look for monkeys - they were mainly sleeping in the hot and humid jungle. Then the village where they make the Panama hats.   I didn't check to see which pictures I posted before, hope I'm not repeating too much.

Fish market, I think they were having fun..

P1070068.thumb.JPG.2c92302478c832d0332212111c8a1943.JPG

P1050030.thumb.JPG.4237e8d97218e84c4284fa740bc68613.JPG

P1070097.thumb.JPG.10b962a6238486c3e9d8de90e35987a7.JPGP1070100.thumb.JPG.552518740c426f5c6029735bd42b5f65.JPG

Trudging through the jungle

IMG_0618.thumb.JPG.50649ed046e07675d5bdece6a8550caa.JPG

P1050058.thumb.JPG.0fa79b26c43e4a44ede101c613fe77a4.JPG

I forget the name of the village..

P1050065.thumb.JPG.9a084e8d55ee51103f49d49062c2f520.JPG

They made hammocks, too

P1070123.thumb.JPG.044128c0ae134a47fa9c1866a6bf5f42.JPG

I really miss these screens

IMG_1973.thumb.JPG.deaf618631c4d5a12ed03f99b9a47793.JPG

• Like 16
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

Can I hire you??  

You want to hire a messy painter?   I'll have paint all over everything.  I am so talented I can get paint under the drop cloth!

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

@dfish Thanks for the recipes. I think I'd like the soup or the one in tomato broth.

That's what I thought!  Great minds.

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

@dfish I was looking today at the very high ceilings in the staircase from the 2nd to 3rd floors. No way I could tackle those, even if much younger.

I've called three painters so far and no one has called me back.

• Like 13
  • Haha 2

Yesterday I tried to get on and could not even get to read. Then I got busy and wore myself out doing too much. Today I have been taking it slower. I hung some curtains and rods. My guest room is almost complete. Prayers for those who need them, and cheers for the rest of our Dailyite family. Thanks all who make this the place to be. 

• Like 15

I haven't flown since my return from Australia in 2020 and have no desire to do so again.  I am using the auto train for my November Eurodam cruise and hope to do so again.  The Sanford terminal is between Jacksonville and Tampa so a BHB from either Port Canaveral or Tampa would be very nice for me.  I think I remember that the Oosterdam was somewhat modified and the only Vista that can get under the bridge.

Roy

• Like 15

Count me in the sloppy painters club with @dfish and @Cruising-along

My credentials include paint under the drop cloth, under my nails ( wearing gloves), on my clothes, on my painting partner’s clothes- basically a walking disaster. I might just as well get down and roll in the paint and use my body as a human roller. 

@rafinmd What is an auto train? ( I’m thinking is not whit conjures up in my head.)

• Like 10
  • Haha 5

11 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

@rafinmd What is an auto train? ( I’m thinking is not whit conjures up in my head.)

It's a train that runs from just South of Washington DC (Lorton VA) to Sanford Florida.  The front third is a regular Amtrak train with sleeping cars and s string of car carriers at the back.  You must check in around noon, they put a number in your dashboard and on your boarding pass.  I think the train leaves about 3 and arrives about 9 the next morning.  There's a huge waiting room in each terminal where you wait until your car number is called on a big digital board,

https://www.amtrak.com/auto-train-experience

Roy

• Like 10
  • Thanks 7

Good afternoon.  So far the rain has not appeared, unless you count the three drops on the windshield just as I got back from picking up a precription for DH.  Of course, I couldn't go in the store and not spend more money on what was on sale. 😉🤣

The cookies are finished and were approved by our two person quality control team.  The good news is I only forgot to turn on the timer for one batch, and managed to get them out before they burned.. They are just a little crunchier, but still passed the taste test.  👍

We have sailed put of Tampa and wouldn't mind having a BHB homeported there.  It’s easy to get to from DFW, or at least it was 20 years ago.

3 hours ago, dfish said:

Messy painter checking in!   Another couple hours of work and I'll be done.   I read that a professional painter takes 3-4 days to do a room with prep included.  I'm right on target!   I have learned something from this project.  Spring for the expensive paint.  It is so much easier to work with!  

Debbie, I'm glad the painting is finished.  They quit making our favorite paint years ago.  We've tried several others and finally found one we like.  It's not the most expensive, but not the cheapest either.

3 hours ago, HAL Sailer said:

@rafinmd Roy, 

Thanks for elevating my DSIL on the Care list. We have just learned that the full body PET scan and brain MRI tests to determine how far her melanoma has spread will both be done Sept 13. Since nothing more will be known or decided till mid-Sept, perhaps Ardis should move back to the rotation?

-Melisa

Melissa, I'm glad the scans are scheduled for your DSIL.

3 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Testing. 

🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

Ok this posted successfully. I will ost shorter messages using my iPhone. I know you are happy. 

Currently sitting on train to Whittier waiting to go there to go out on a glacier tour. 

Monday the 29th was tough. We had to get up around 4:45 a.m. to head to the train station & go to Seward. We stayed really close and had a 6 minute walk in the cool morning air. The train was fun. The process very smooth. Gorgeous scenery One bald Eagle watched us travel by. 

Our room was ready at the hotel. Luggage arrived safely. Spent the afternoon exploring Seward. It felt good to walk around. A wonderful meal of roasted beets and goat cheese, combined with a grilled halibut with mango salsa main course. We shared both courses and the meal was perfect.  Back early to get organized for Tuesday and get to sleep. 

Tuesday’s Kenai Fjords boat tour was spectacular. A mix of sun clouds and short periods of rain. We saw lots of Puffins, Cormorants, Harbor seals, sea lions and at the end of the tour when the sun had come back out, two pods of Orcas.  

IMG_2485.MOV 98.67 MB · 0 downloads  

More to follow. 

Ann, we loved the Kenai Fjords cruise the times we've done it, especially the dinner cruise with fresh grilled salmon.  The 26 glacier cruise out of Whittier is wonderful especially if you're lucky like we were and have a sunny day.  Hopefully, some day we'll take the train to Seward.  We've aleays driven, and that scenry is spectacular too.

2 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Good morning, Dailyites, and thanks to Rich, Roy, and all the Daily posters!  Praying for those with troubles now, and as I think I am back to normal, I will raise a glass this evening to those celebrating - anybody celebrating?  Actually, I am, because Pat went to the doctor yesterday, got a few keratoses zapped, and told the doctor about his bee sting in Reykjavik and the doctor prescribed an Epipen.  Pat is very nonchalant about the danger, so I will be carrying the Epipen for him!  He used to always take one with him on his business travels, but got very lax about it.  Now I imagine his histamines are elevated again.

Another celebration will be our cruise in 10 days!  Just got an itinerary change last night - Sitka for Glacier Bay day and vice versa.  Any ideas why they would do this?  I wondered if it meant there were too many ships in Glacier Bay on the 19th, so we had to change?

We visited Manta in 2017 on the Zaandam.  I seem to remember mainly HEAT!  We went to the fish market, too, and then to a park to look for monkeys - they were mainly sleeping in the hot and humid jungle. Then the village where they make the Panama hats.   I didn't check to see which pictures I posted before, hope I'm not repeating too much.

Fish market, I think they were having fun..

P1070068.thumb.JPG.2c92302478c832d0332212111c8a1943.JPG

P1050030.thumb.JPG.4237e8d97218e84c4284fa740bc68613.JPG

P1070097.thumb.JPG.10b962a6238486c3e9d8de90e35987a7.JPGP1070100.thumb.JPG.552518740c426f5c6029735bd42b5f65.JPG

Trudging through the jungle

IMG_0618.thumb.JPG.50649ed046e07675d5bdece6a8550caa.JPG

P1050058.thumb.JPG.0fa79b26c43e4a44ede101c613fe77a4.JPG

I forget the name of the village..

P1050065.thumb.JPG.9a084e8d55ee51103f49d49062c2f520.JPG

They made hammocks, too

P1070123.thumb.JPG.044128c0ae134a47fa9c1866a6bf5f42.JPG

I really miss these screens

IMG_1973.thumb.JPG.deaf618631c4d5a12ed03f99b9a47793.JPG

Ann, I'm glad you are feeling like yourself again.  Thanks for the pictures.

1 hour ago, dfish said:

You want to hire a messy painter?   I'll have paint all over everything.  I am so talented I can get paint under the drop cloth!

That's what I thought!  Great minds.

I've called three painters so far and no one has called me back.

Debbie, not only am I able to get paint under the drop cloth, I've been known to get it under the blue painter's tape too,  not to mention other places.  I suspect you will be looking for a house that does not need painting.  😉

13 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

My credentials include paint under the drop cloth, under my nails ( wearing gloves), on my clothes, on my painting partner’s clothes- basically a walking disaster. I might just as well get down and roll in the paint and use my body as a human roller. 

Welcome to the messy painters club. Wonder if anyone would hire us?

Lenda

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

Just went back through my pictures, and I think this is the town that made the Panama hats (I like to take pictures of a sewer cover, etc., if it has the name of the town..)

P1070122.thumb.JPG.32363500dcf0e28ffe796da4c64cc280.JPG 

I think you've got it!!

3 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

It's a train that runs from just South of Washington DC (Lorton VA) to Sanford Florida.  The front third is a regular Amtrak train with sleeping cars and s string of car carriers at the back.  You must check in around noon, they put a number in your dashboard and on your boarding pass.  I think the train leaves about 3 and arrives about 9 the next morning.  There's a huge waiting room in each terminal where you wait until your car number is called on a big digital board,

Roy

That is pretty cool!  Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

• Like 10

17 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Many, many years ago when I was a teenager, my mother and I took the auto train to Florida. She didn't like highway driving. It was a holiday train for Christmas and I remember there were movies and games going on during the trip. This was when it was privately owned, before Amtrak took it over. But I wasn't happy once we got to our destination, as I didn't like Santa in shorts and no snow! 

• Like 9
  • Haha 6

Good afternoon from Glacier Bay, 

The Crown Princess is providing a nice experience. We were in Skagway yesterday and no rain in town. We did the train to the summit and we were in a fog and it was wet at the top. Oh well. Today is Glacier Bay and it is blue sky, sunshine and shirtsleeve weather - at least for this Pacific Northwesterner! We've spent a lot of time on our balcony enjoying the glaciers. We were close to Marjerie Glacier, Johns Hopkins, Lamplugh, and Reid. At 5:-00PM we're due in Icy Strait Point for 3 hours. We're planning on riding the gondola, wandering into the cannery and shopping, and picking up fresh mini-doughnuts!

Johns Hopkins GlacierP1050056.thumb.JPG.9107c041943b0c7b1b7a0a7e2d2771d0.JPG

• Like 23

15 minutes ago, luvteaching said:

The Crown Princess is providing a nice experience. We were in Skagway yesterday and no rain in town. We did the train to the summit and we were in a fog and it was wet at the top. Oh well. Today is Glacier Bay and it is blue sky, sunshine and shirtsleeve weather - at least for this Pacific Northwesterner! We've spent a lot of time on our balcony enjoying the glaciers. We were close to Marjerie Glacier, Johns Hopkins, Lamplugh, and Reid. At 5:-00PM we're due in Icy Strait Point for 3 hours. We're planning on riding the gondola, wandering into the cannery and shopping, and picking up fresh mini-doughnuts!

Johns Hopkins GlacierP1050056.thumb.JPG.9107c041943b0c7b1b7a0a7e2d2771d0.JPG

A beautiful day for you.  Have a good time in ISP!

• Like 8

Good Evening Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  Today was supposed to be a fairly quiet day at work, I barely got my lunch break.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds good @dfish thanks for the recipes and pictures.  @dfish if I were closer I’d help you paint, it’s therapeutic.  The weather is supposed to turn nice, cooler temperatures and low humidity and that is supposed to last most of the weekend.  I’m hoping that forecast holds true.  I hope everyone has a good evening.

May cats love sky raisins and this gave me a chuckle.

image.thumb.png.5ab5a280c32d1f063289dbc62688e966.png

• Like 11
  • Haha 12

7 hours ago, durangoscots said:

I have a BOD meeting at the shelter tonight which I am not looking forward to. We are about finished with the renovation work (if they get that roof fixed!!!!!) and then I am thinking seriously of stepping down at least from the Presidency of the board and maybe from the Board entirely. I am getting too old for this!!!

Susan

Susan, believe me I know how you feel.  Make sure it is what you really want to do but being President of a Shelter is a thankless job (I did it too).

If it’s time to go - go with your head held high since you got the renovations  done 👍. I got mine a new shelter and once it was done, I was worn and weary and considered my job done and the new person would have a much easier time.

Bless you for caring and hanging in.  But just make sure it’s what you want to do.

4 hours ago, HAL Sailer said:

@rafinmd Roy, 

-Melisa

Melissa good to hear her tests are secured.  I know the waiting is hard though 😔 My prayers remain with her and you while you both wait 🙏🏻 

4 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Testing. 

🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

More to follow. 

I don’t think it’s your devices - CC was burping yesterday and between ship’s internet and that, it can be hard to get on at times.

Sounds like you are having a wonderful time. 👍 That’s the most important thing of all 🙂 

59 minutes ago, luvteaching said:

The Crown Princess is providing a nice experience.

Glad to hear you are enjoying the Crown and your cruise 🙂 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

I don't have a painting partner, but I bet I could match you there.  I match everywhere else.  If you saw me right now you'd think I did get down and roll in the paint.  My legs and feet are covered in it.  

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Debbie, I'm glad the painting is finished.  They quit making our favorite paint years ago.  We've tried several others and finally found one we like.  It's not the most expensive, but not the cheapest either.

I need to go back and do some touch up.  I left the hallway for next week.

Debbie, not only am I able to get paint under the drop cloth, I've been known to get it under the blue painter's tape too,  not to mention other places.  I suspect you will be looking for a house that does not need painting.

Under the blue painter's tape.  Yep, check that one off.  Thankfully, the paint is coming up off the wood floors pretty easily with a fingernail.

Welcome to the messy painters club. Wonder if anyone would hire us?

Yes, @Cruising-along Carolyn would.  

• Like 10
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I think the train leaves about 3 and arrives about 9 the next morning

Train leaves at 5pm (you must check in your car by 3) arrives at 10 am.  They are currently having a sale $89 coach fare plus the cost of your car.  You can book a roomette for an additional fee.  It takes 3.5 hours to drive from Sanford to Port Everglades.  It's about an hour to Port Canaveral and 2 hours to Tampa from Sanford.

I have taken the auto train. (I have a friend who works on the train.) I prefer to fly to FLL.  Quicker, don't have to pay to park the car, cheaper.

• Like 11

8 minutes ago, dfish said:

I don't have a painting partner, but I bet I could match you there.  I match everywhere else.  If you saw me right now you'd think I did get down and roll in the paint.  My legs and feet are covered in it.  

I need to go back and do some touch up.  I left the hallway for next week.

Under the blue painter's tape.  Yep, check that one off.  Thankfully, the paint is coming up off the wood floors pretty easily with a fingernail.

Yes, @Cruising-along Carolyn would.  

But, can Carolyn afford us?  😉  

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 4
  • Haha 6

2 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Could I pay you in wine?  Of course part of the deal would be I  get to drink with you. 😉  😂

I hope no one is painting after the wine 😉 😂 

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

While I love trains I avoided the auto train for many years.  I always felt the worst part of the drive to Florida was the section around Washington, and there was a second route to the east of Washington that connected with I95 near Richmond.  I think I95 in general has gotten worse, and that secondary route has gotten a lot worse, changing my calculation.  I used the Auto Train for the first time at Christmas of 2019.

Roy

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1