The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday September 10th, 2022

richwmn

Today is Chinese Moon Festival, Sewing Machine Day, and Swap Ideas Day

Sometimes I can hear my bones straining under the weight of all the lives I'm not living.--Jonathan Safran Foer, Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close

Meal Suggestion for today - Bucatini With Sausage Kale
Drink of the Day - Emerald Daiquiri
Wine of the Day - Inkarri 2019 Made with Organic Grapes Estate Bottl
Destination of the Day - Tadine, Mare, New Caledonia

Eurodam

Seattle, Washington 07:00 - 16:00

Koningsdam

Vancouver, BC Canada 07:00 - 16:30

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination Vancouver, BC Canada eta 09/11

Nieuw Statendam

Havre-Saint-Pierre, Quebec Canada 07:00 - 16:00

Noordam

At Sea Destination Whittier, Alaska eta 09/11

Oosterdam

Naples, Italy 08:00 - 18:00

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Rotterdam, Netherlands South Holland eta 09/11

Volendam

Rotterdam Waalhaven

Westerdam

Victoria BC, Vancouver Island, BC Canada 18:00 - 23:59

Zaandam

Boston, Massachusetts 07:00 - 17:00

Zuiderdam

Skagway, Alaska 07:00 - 21:00

0910Atlantic.thumb.png.319935248c415e045d95364ef4b6a3f3.png

0910Alaska.thumb.png.ca1b2b1bb1d66b081bdbd182fad7a0d6.png

• Like 31
  • Thanks 10

Thank you for today's fleet reports and Daily Rich.

Swap ideas is a good thing.

I'm not sure about today's food and drink.

Today's lunch.

We have never been to today's port.

I hope everyone is well and best wishes for those who are unwell.

Graham.

IMG_20220910_121643.jpg

• Like 27

Thank you for the Saturday report Rich.  An interesting collection of days.  I had a small sewing machine many years ago and we swap a lot of ideas here.  Not sure what to make of the quote or the meal.  I have never been to New Caledcnia.

Today’s care list:

Rest in Peace Her Royal Majesty Queen Elizabeth 9\8/22
RIP luvteaching’s friend Waybe 9/3/22 and strength for Karen
Western wildfires
Marshhawk’s friend Jesse with throat cancer and in denial
Horizon Chaser 1957 needing new treaatment for arthritis
The locks at Ijmuiden(Rotterdam diverted to at least 9/18)
Cruisin Terri leak situation
From the rotation:
strength for smitty34877 helping Tana long term
Atrex6 Father severely declining
Heartgrove’s Sam severely declining
Strength and healing (physical and emotional) for Kazu

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Good cataract surgery result for superoma DH
Rowsby in Hawaii until 9/28
Cruzin Terry settling into a condo
Tiogacruiser stepping up to cover wines  for cat shepard
7 days for norseh20 (Regata 9/17 to 9/25)
6 days for sailingdutchy (Oosterdam 9/16 to 10/10)
2 days for Marshhawk (Ecstasy 9/12 to 9/22)
1 day for Vict0riann (Nieuw Amsterdam 9/11 to 9/25)
1 day for lindaler (Westerdam 9/11 to 9/18)
Welcome home luvteaching
cat shepard (Nieuw Amsterdam  to 9/11), Vax1700 (Rotterdam  to 9/11), and Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 28
  • Thanks 9

Good morning! Not much planned today and that’s good as I would have mobility issues if I did. Woke up yesterday morning with pain in my left foot. I had a similar pain a few months ago that lasted just a day. Not so this time. So will rest it for a couple of days and if it persist I will make an ortho appointment and see if I have a stress fracture.Please no Care List or replies needed.

I’m also peeved with Lowe’s. As you may remember our dishwasher went kaput. So we went to Lowe’s and ordered a new one which they told us would be at store around seven days and a private installer would call shortly and set up an appointment for installation. I specifically asked how long before they would install and was told three-four days after we get washer from warehouse. They did indeed call and earliest date to install  is September 27!!😡 So I pursued the issue to no avail other then we are now on their cancellation list which I would imagine is along with many other customers.

Thank you for putting up with my morning rants. I feel better now that I got that off my chest!

Thanks Rich for the Fleet Report and to all who contribute. Have a great day.

Bruce

• Like 22
  • Thanks 8

Good morning.  Thanks for the Fleet and Daily Report.

The day is starting a little cool, but should be hot by this afternoon.  

I don't sew, I don't have a sewing machine.  I love to swap ideas.

Not sure about the quote.

The meal sounds good, love pasta.  

I'm sure the drink is good too.  Hope the wine isn't too expensive.

Another port we have not visited, thanks in advance for pictures.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations!

Have a wonderful Saturday everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 26

25 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Saturday report Rich.  An interesting collection of days.  I had a small sewing machine many years ago and we swap a lot of ideas here.  Not sure what to make of the quote or the meal.  I have never been to New Caledcnia.

Today’s care list:

Rest in Peace Her Royal Majesty Queen Elizabeth 9\8/22
RIP luvteaching’s friend Waybe 9/3/22 and strength for Karen
Western wildfires
Marshhawk’s friend Jesse with throat cancer and in denial
Horizon Chaser 1957 needing new treaatment for arthritis
The locks at Ijmuiden(Rotterdam diverted to at least 9/18)
Cruisin Terri leak situation
From the rotation:
strength for smitty34877 helping Tana long term
Atrex6 Father severely declining
Heartgrove’s Sam severely declining
Strength and healing (physical and emotional) for Kazu

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Good cataract surgery result for superoma DH
Rowsby in Hawaii until 9/28
Cruzin Terry settling into a condo
Tiogacruiser stepping up to cover wines  for cat shepard
7 days for norseh20 (Regata 9/17 to 9/25)
6 days for sailingdutchy (Oosterdam 9/16 to 10/10)
2 days for Marshhawk (Ecstasy 9/12 to 9/22)
1 day for Vict0riann (Nieuw Amsterdam 9/11 to 9/25)
1 day for lindaler (Westerdam 9/11 to 9/18)
Welcome home luvteaching
cat shepard (Nieuw Amsterdam  to 9/11), Vax1700 (Rotterdam  to 9/11), and Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thank you for today's lists Roy.

Although Charles immediately became King after our Queen died he was proclaimed King by the priv council today at St James palace at 11 am UK time.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 24

3 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you for today's lists Roy.

Although Charles immediately became King after our Queen died he was proclaimed King by the priv council today at St James palace at 12 noon UK time.

Most of that ceremony was actually shown live on our 5AM news today.

Roy

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Just now, rafinmd said:

Roy

1 minute ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

We watched it on BBC news this morning.

It was 11am UK time.

• Like 12

Good morning friends!  It's a dismal looking day outside, so a great one to stay home.  It looks like we've had rain showers overnight and from the looks of the sky could have more at any time today.  Thanks to Rich @richwmnfor today's Fleet Report and Daily.  I am keeping my eye on the Volendam.  Today's port of Tadine in New Caledonia was posted last year on June 22, 2021.  It's located on page 50 of Rich's posting activity and here is a link to it for those who need it.  I have not been to New Caledonia.  Thanks in advance for any photos we see posted here today! 

Cheers to the Chinese Moon Festival.  I own a sewing machine but haven't had to use it for much in the past couple of years.  Did plenty of little projects in the past though.  Swapping ideas sounds like a good idea.  The quote sounds rather odd to me.  And I will have to wait to see the menu suggestion.  No thanks to the drink and wine.  Thanks to our food and beverage ladies!!

Roy @rafinmdthanks for your contribution.  Prayers for all on the Care list, as well as neighbor Linda and our Ukrainian friends.  And prayers for all who have aches and pains because I know we don't like to complain every day about this pain or that ache.  I am in that group but try to do the best I can to figure out a way to lessen them.  But we all deserve a prayer for pain free days.  Cheers to all the celebrants and I see many on the upcoming cruise list.  My SIL is getting on a flight this morning for Vancouver and will do three side by side cruises (different ships, one right after another).  Hope they aren't positive with Covid in the next 40 days!  A shoutout to Jacqui @kazuthis weekend, along with Joy @Seasick Sailorand Allen.  Hope everything is A-Ok with all of you.

I've been watching all the pageantry going on in the UK, and hope for a smooth funeral and transition for all under the monarchy.  I love seeing all the locations they show as they bring back happy memories of past travel.  Long live the King!

And to all of you, have a great weekend!

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Emerald Daiquiri cocktail:

Ingredients
1 part Midori® Melon Liqueur
1 part Cruzan® Aged Light Rum
Juice of 1 Lime
Melon Wedge

Instructions
Shake all ingredients with ice and strain into a chilled cocktail glass with an optional sugared rim. Garnish with a melon wedge and/or a lime wheel on the rim.

Screen Shot 2022-09-10 at 7.40.51 AM.png

• Like 21
  • Thanks 8

Thank you for the Daily Fleet Report.

There is a 5 hour difference between England and Ontario (Eastern time zone.)  Thankfully everything will go smoothly with the transition from Queen to King as they are a loving family and no opposition from any other Kings or Queens or Princes the way it was in the Middle Ages.  I love the fact that King Charles will travel throughout the United Kingdom over the next week to visit Ireland, Scotland and Wales.  Eventually he will most likely travel to Australia and Canada. 

• Like 24

Good Saturday Morning!  I have a hundred places to go, but to be honest it's too early for me to be awake, and I wont drive when I am this tired.  So guess I will get those particular chores done on the way to dinner.

I was curious about the Moon Festival and this is what I found out.

The Moon Festival is rooted in many different myths. Legend traces the story to a hero named Hou Yi, who lived during a time when there were 10 suns in the sky. This caused people to die, so Hou Yi shot down nine of the suns and was given an elixir by the Queen of Heaven to make him immortal. But Hou Yi didn't drink the elixir because he wanted to remain with his wife, Chang'e (pronounced Chung-err). So, he told her to watch over the potion.

One day a student of Hou Yi tried to steal the elixir from her, and Chang'e drank it to foil his plans. Afterward, she flew to the moon, and people have prayed to her for fortune ever since. She's presented with a variety of food offerings during the Moon Fest, and festival-goers swear that they can spot Chang'e dancing on the moon during the festival. 

ba7598cf19b82b115a366f0caf91a349.jpg

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 10

Good morning Daily-ites. A cool 71 this morning. Beautiful and calm.

It was so nice to hear from @DeeniEncinitas west coast sister Denise last night on another thread. I told her we missed her and try to stop in and visit when she can.

Sandi hoping all the aches and pains go away. As we get older I'm not sure if it's the door creaking or my bones. 

Thinking of you Jacqui on Jose's memorial. 

We spent several hours watching Queen Elizabeth's service and King Charles address. Wishing the very best to the King and his family.

Last night we were invited to neighbors and watched a falling star. I have not seen one in years. Yes I made a wish!

image.png.205c7946a6a69b460cfe934393dda453.png

Prayers to our friends on Roy's care list. Thank you Rich and all who contribute to the Fleet/Daily. 

• Like 22
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

Good Morning from a cloudy but warm day at the beach

Swapping ideas? Is that what we do here everyday? I used to have a sewing machine but no longer.  Never been to todays port.

I have been very stressed out about the ever changing rules for testing. DH said yesterday, " Their ship. their rules" . So deal with it. So we have decided to just do the online proctored test at the hotel . I will order the tests. I would have preferred to do it before we left but there isnt a place doing PCR tests for travel that is reasonable. 

I am getting the new booster today, DH and DD got it yesterday. I waited in case DD had any issues and needed care.   All is well. No side effects other than a sore arm. 

THe pharmacist told me to come early, so I skipped golf and will be there when they open. 

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 19

Good morning, everyone!   

This messy painter has packed up all the painting supplies and they are ready to go on the moving truck.  I worked on clearing out the basement yesterday and hosing it down.  It looks so much better!  I did discover a problem, though.  If I use the outside faucet in the front of the house I get water in the basement.  The wall there is soaked.   Dan, my handyman, is coming today.  He thinks the problem is that the pipe that comes from outside to inside burst.  He assures me it is an easy fix.  I sure hope so because that one won't get past the inspector. 

I was kind of down yesterday because I saw that they have scheduled an open house for the house we had put an offer in on.   I figured they were not impressed with our offer.   Later yesterday we did get a counter offer from them.   We have countered back.  I think if we keep going, we will end up in a happy place.  

Swap Ideas Day should be a special celebration here on the Daily.  We do that everyday!   A few years ago I invested in a better sewing machine and I have not regretted it since.  

Bucatini is a large thick tubular pasta that looks like spaghetti noodles, but they’re much heartier.

You know how Japanese udon noodles are chewy and satisfying? Bucatini pasta gives you the same satiety!  This is kind of high in carbs so I would have to tinker with it.  I do like the idea of the kale being used for a balance between starch, protein and vegetable.  Kale is a very healthy food choice and for those who are disposed towards kidney stones, it is low in oxalates.  Spinach, the usual substitute for kale, is one of the highest oxalate foods and most kidney stones are calcium oxalate.  

What are the 5 top health benefits of kale?

May support immunity. Kale contains four times the vitamin C content and twice the selenium content of spinach, as well as nutrients like vitamin E and beta-carotene. ...

May support bone health. ...

May protect against heart disease. ...

May protect against cancer. ...

May support eye health.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/health-benefits-kale

Our first recipe comes from Taste of Home.   https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/bucatini-with-sausage-kale/

341564946_bucatiniwithsausagekale1.jpg.067b3a1ace015f58aa081fafa66c07eb.jpg

All of the recipes for sausage and kale are the same, so for those of you who love sardines, I found this one:  https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/sicilian-bucatini-with-sardines-4665127   You can add the kale if you wish.

1028448119_bucatiniwithsardines.jpeg.048a87a26ec9a10488d49be208cf9bc0.jpeg

Or there is this one with sausage and peppers:https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/bucatini-with-sausage-and-peppers-56389445

754266993_bucatiniwithsausagepeppers.jpg.acf4b66e58752d4fe0a769c419142ffa.jpg

Last, but not least, we have a pasta, sausage, and kale recipe with a lemon cream sauce:  https://themodernproper.com/sausage-kale-pasta-with-lemon-cream-sauce

998279624_bucatiniwithsausagekale3.thumb.jpg.a9862621a6125f76773a5d02e1fc6129.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 10

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily! We'll have a big harvest moon this weekend, which is always nice to see, I used my sewing machine the other day when I made my handkerchief, and this has always been a great place to swap ideas.  In our city today is Curbside Swap day where you can put things on your lawn/driveway that you want to give away and others just come by and get them.  Well late last night DH and I put out a huge box of decorative pillows, as well as a bunch of things from the garage (light bulbs, screwdrivers, small electric motors, etc.,) and this morning when I looked out they were all gone. This morning I slipped out in my housecoat to take an older upright vacuum cleaner that has been hanging around the house not being used, and I'm sure it'll be gone as soon as people get mobile.

Well yesterday was one of the hardest days of my life.  DH and I officiated at the funeral / celebration of life of our dear friend Melodie.  When I addressed the assembly, I told them up front "I'm a crier, so expect that to happen.  When I cry, my voice reaches octaves that only dogs can hear, so you might miss some of what I'm saying, but we'll get through this."  I held it together fairly well through the service, but lost it at the cemetery.  It doesn't help that I've suffered all my life with separation anxiety, so while I'm great at hellos, I'm terrible at goodbyes.  Thankfully it was only us and the immediate family at the cemetery, and they were sobbing as hard as I was.

After the burial and lunch, we came home to feed the cat, change into casual clothes, and headed over to our friend's house to be with her husband Wayne, and their family.  There were some tears, but there was also a lot of laughter and great memories shared over food, several bottles of wine, "the good scotch", and beer.  Later in the evening, the guitars came out and there was much music and singing to round out the day.  

@marshhawkI am sorry I wasn't here yesterday to wish you and your DH a very Happy Anniversary.  May you have many more to come; let the love and laughter continue.  I'm excited for your cruise and hope you have a wonderful time.

@kazumy heart is with you today as you gather with your family and friends to celebrate Jose's life; it won't be an easy day, but one that will be filled with love for both you and Jose.

@Cruzin TerriI was happy to read that you've been able to get into a condo while your home is being repaired - much better than being stuck in a hotel room.

We had low temperatures last night; it went down to 0C (32F), so when we came back from our friend's late last night, we had to rush around to cover the plants in the yard to protect them from frost.  DH had this idea for the papyrus(which are now 7 feet tall), where he would quickly create a structure out of bamboo sticks and we could drape fabric over them, while hoping to not break the tops.  I looked at the papyrus and said to him "Why don't we just lay the pots on their sides?"  Duh!  3 minutes later the papyrus were taken care of and we were sitting inside the house drinking tea.  LOL

That's all I've got for today - I don't have to worry about dinner tonight, as our friend sent us home with a huge care package of turkey, ham, cheeses and buns from the funeral luncheon that will do us for a few days.  Although it's not supposed to get too warm today, it will be comfortable for us to have dinner on the deck with the windows closed.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is hurting, extra for strength to hold up @kazutoday, and cheers to all the celebrations.  Stay safe, everyone!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 26
  • Thanks 3

Happy Saturday!  

I have a sewing machine, but have never been good at sewing.  I got it out to make masks at the very beginning of COVID- they were quickly replaced with better ones.

Last night we walked in the rain to see “American Idiot” it was very lively with good dancing - a large energetic cast.  We noted that the audience was much younger than usual.

best wishes to all!

• Like 19

Good morning.

I have a few minutes while Jim is in the shower.  I am packed and ready to leave this hotel.  We are going back to the house first.  I am leaving some clothes there because I don’t need as many,  The condo has a washer and dryer.  I am also picking up some food to take with us so I don’t have to run to the store.  I still have lots in the fridge.

The only down side to the condo is the distance.  It is a 45 minute drive from my house.  The hotel was 5 minutes away.  Maybe getting some distance will be good,  Looking at that mess all the time is really depressing.

I have not been acknowledging posts but have been reading them as best I can and sometimes very quickly.  I thank everyone for being so supportive of our situation,

I will try to post later.

Hopefully today will be a better day.

Take care everyone and stay safe.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1