The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday September 14th, 2022

richwmn

Today is International Crab Fest Day, National Cream-Filled Donut Day, and National Quiet Day (UK)

Wit beyond measure is man's greatest treasure.--J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Meal Suggestion for today - Shrimp and Tomato Migas
Drink of the Day - Mango Rum Margarita
Wine of the Day - Caliterra Sauvignon Blanc Reserva, Chile
Destination of the Day - Sihanoukville, Cambodia

Eurodam

Sitka, Baranof Island, Alaska 08:00 - 16:00

Koningsdam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 07:00 - 16:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

Kodiak Island, Alaska 11:00 - 19:00

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Bar Harbor, Maine US

Noordam

Skagway, Alaska 07:00 - 21:00

Oosterdam

Toulon, France Riviera, La Seyne-sur-Mer 09:00 - 18:00

Rotterdam

Alesund, Norway 08:00 - 17:00

Volendam

Relocate to Trieste Currently headed to Malaga, Spain eta 9/18

Westerdam

Hubbard Glacier, Alaska 14:00 - 18:00

Zaandam

Prince Edward Island, Charlottetown, Canada 08:00 - 18:00

Zuiderdam

Vancouver, BC Canada 07:00 - 16:00

0914World.thumb.png.ce486c7973f4c1b95c32498eff4e90db.png

• Like 26
  • Thanks 9

Good morning.  Thanks for the Fleet and Daily Report.  Happy Hump Day!

A cloudy, mild morning here. 

Crab and donuts!  Great suggestions.  We often have quiet days.

Interesting quote.

Looking forward to seeing the recipe for today's meal suggestion, we like shrimp.  Sending good thoughts to Debbie for the sale of her house.

The drink sounds good.  I'm sure I'll like the wine.

Prayers for everyone.

Have a good day.   Stay safe.

• Like 25

Thank you for the Hump Day report, Rich.  I like Cream Filled donuts but should not eat them.  Quiet Day sounds like a great idea.  While Crab Feasts are very popular here I'll pass as well as on the Shrimp and Tomato Migas.  I love the Rowling quote.  Been to Sihnoukville just once, Zaandam in 2012.

Today’s care list:

Rest in Peace Her Royal Majesty Queen Elizabeth 9\8/22
Western wildfires
Marshhawk’s friend Jesse with throat cancer and in denial
Seriousness of Cruzin Terri’s leak damage and long term repairs
The locks at Ijmuiden(Rotterdam diverted to at least 9/18)
From the rotation:
strength for luvteaching’s friend Karen
Sandi’s neighbor Linda
Tana with persistent problems although somewhat better
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Volendam at sea
New Camila photo

Rowsby in Hawaii until 9/28
Great progress on dfish move
3 days for norseh20 (Regata 9/17 to 9/25)
2 days for sailingdutchy (Oosterdam 9/16 to 10/10)
Ichiban Nekko forever home nearing completion
lindaler (Westerdam  to 9/18), Marshhawk (Ecstasy to 9/22), Vict0riann (Nieuw Amsterdam  to 9/25), and  Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 27
  • Thanks 9

Good afternoon.

It is currently 66°C and sunny on the North East coast of England.

Thank you for the fleet reports and Daily Rich.

I am not a lover of crab meat.

Quiet day suits me perfectly.

Cream filled 🍩 sounds delicious.

Not sure about today's food but Sauvignon Blanc is nice.

Interesting quote.

Daily prayers 🙏 for friends who are unwell.

Wishing everyone a happy and healthy day.

Graham.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  I’ll pass on today’s meal suggestion unless I can substitute chicken for the shrimp.  The drink of the day sounds good and I could have used a few yesterday.  The weather today is beautiful, it feels like fall is arriving.  @dfish I hope you get a good offer on your house.  I hope everyone has a good day today.

image.thumb.png.fac2e40d0f25f93644fdb2a2c07a56c1.png

• Like 12
  • Haha 16

2 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Hump Day report, Rich.  I like Cream Filled donuts but should not eat them.  Quiet Day sounds like a great idea.  While Crab Feasts are very popular here I'll pass as well as on the Shrimp and Tomato Migas.  I love the Rowling quote.  Been to Sihnoukville just once, Zaandam in 2012.

Today’s care list:

Rest in Peace Her Royal Majesty Queen Elizabeth 9\8/22
Western wildfires
Marshhawk’s friend Jesse with throat cancer and in denial
Seriousness of Cruzin Terri’s leak damage and long term repairs
The locks at Ijmuiden(Rotterdam diverted to at least 9/18)
From the rotation:
strength for luvteaching’s friend Karen
Sandi’s neighbor Linda
Tana with persistent problems although somewhat better
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Volendam at sea
New Camila photo

Rowsby in Hawaii until 9/28
Great progress on dfish move
3 days for norseh20 (Regata 9/17 to 9/25)
2 days for sailingdutchy (Oosterdam 9/16 to 10/10)
Ichiban Nekko forever home nearing completion
lindaler (Westerdam  to 9/18), Marshhawk (Ecstasy to 9/22), Vict0riann (Nieuw Amsterdam  to 9/25), and  Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thank you for today's lists Roy.

Graham.

• Like 9

Good morning, everyone!

Crab Fest and cream filled donuts - who could ask for more?  I like crab more than lobster and as for donuts, the gooeyer the better.  This tells me it will be a good day!  Nothing is on the agenda except for a haircut this afternoon.  I have three showings of the house scheduled for today.  We'll see if I get more requests.  Yesterday was tough because I had to be gone for so long.  

Migas is a traditional dish in Spanish cuisine. It was originally a breakfast dish that made use of leftover bread or tortas. Migas is usually served as a first course for lunch or dinner in restaurants in Spain. The ingredients of migas vary across the provinces of Spain.  

Migas is also a traditional dish in Portuguese cuisine. It is usually made with leftover bread, either wheat bread traditionally associated with the Alentejo region in Southern Portugal, or corn bread as used in Beira. In Alentejo migas can also be made with potatoes (migas de batata) instead of bread.

In different areas of Mexico, migas is a traditional breakfast dish consisting of corn tortilla strips fried on a pan or griddle until almost crispy, to which eggs are then added to create a scrambled egg/fried tortilla mixture. This preparation makes use of hardened corn tortillas left over from previous meals. Chilaquiles is a similar meal that substitutes salsa for eggs during cooking. Both are hearty, inexpensive working-class breakfast meals.

This first recipe is truly a hearty meal.  It sounds really good as well and would probably keep me satisfied until dinner.   https://www.vizw.org/shrimp-and-tomato-migas

1995617184_shrimpandtomatomigas.jpg.998598acd2b14441c354aa53cc177312.jpg

Next up we have just shrimp migas according to the name of the dish, but tomatoes are included.  I'm thinking that migas is a dish that is easily tailored to what you want it to be.  http://www.edibleaustin.com/index.php/recipes/recipe/517-carol-huntsbergers-why-not-shrimp-migas

1814915171_shrimpandtomatomigas2.jpg.23cab6e5a381d366dc1067b3106db427.jpg

Next up we have shrimp, pancetta, and tomatoes.  This recipe combines both versions, using tortillas and bread.   http://thechefcharette.com/main-course/shrimp-and-pancetta-migas/

1454393748_shrimpandtomatomigas3.thumb.jpg.d1fac5b9f6f0f2e95d3b66213fe3e9ef.jpg

This last recipe doesn't call for shrimp and tomatoes, but they can easily be included.  Or shrimp and bacon.  Or scallops and tomatoes, or whatever strikes your fancy!  https://tamingofthespoon.com/easy-tex-mex-migas/

12831098_shrimpandtomatomigas4.thumb.jpg.a4bb2953e6ef56a16380c5476dc36b7b.jpg

So there you have it!   Wishing everyone a wonderful and flavorful day.  Don't eat too many of those cream filled donuts.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 12

Today's sunrise is the last from my 2010 Alaska trip that featured one of Cruise West's last completed voyages.  On September 14 I was on Amtrak's Empire Builder and the sun rose at a service stop in Whitefish Montana:

IMG_2741.thumb.JPG.de10141afe33351c4b7c7

Roy

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for our Hump Day daily, Rich.

I would happily celebrate Crab Fest day 😋 I’ll leave the donuts to everyone else 😉 

3C742103-1A9B-475D-B127-A8F1A443F36D.jpeg.bc6b87e0247a16591629473e49fb3586.jpeg

Love that quote of Rowlings - but I like a lot of her quotes. Today’s meal suggestion and wine sound like a winning combination to me 😉 

85D16096-673D-452A-8F45-55E3233FAD90.jpeg.9c9a608452494d5c79c88b114f755f2d.jpeg

The day (and house) is very dark here due to the rain and T-storms.  And of course, my first “more formal” grief counselling is scheduled for today.  I swear it rains every time I have to make that trip 😬 I suspect wine will be on the agenda tonight if is furiously raining.  

9B196677-E39A-41EE-93B9-AB9451B48311.thumb.jpeg.6c33e29162eb24f92c149a3846880e25.jpeg

Hoping your showing result in a lovely offer @dfish

@rafinmdsorry can’t help with your Ipad problem.  I have & had 3 and never encountered the problem you are describing - but mine are not Ipad Airs.  I’m wondering if it is an Air issue?

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Wednesday everyone !!!!!!

4332F72B-9B60-440F-97AB-3D938F71ACB2.thumb.jpeg.6cd5ae3cf57093cacb1fa9d16e804089.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

Thanks for the Fleet Update and other information.

Good morning fellow CC members. RNB hear.  This is your morning roving reporter getting ready to offer you another one of those cruise story diaries. But before we begin please note that this story was previously published on another thread so if you have seen it, make believe this is the first time you have seen it. Also during the past week several of you have asked me if these cruise stories I write are made up or fiction. The answer to that is it is the real deal. If I was going to make this up for example, if someone asked me, "RedneckBob, I understand you have been cruising for a long time. What was your first ship you cruised on HAL." I would reply, "it was so long ago, I can't remember if it was on the Ninadam, Pintodam or Santa Mariadam 😀  Hear's the cruise story which I titled.

A Big MAC Attack Like No Other

The Misses and I were sailing to Alaska on August 27, 2018 on the Zaandam. One of our stops was in Sitka, Alaska at the new ship docks about 15 minutes north of downtown. We had been to Sitka many times but the ship anchored in the harbor and we were tendered in. In fact one time we stayed on the ship and for two hours the ship was surrounded by whales. There were so many whales that the whale watching tour boats came back to the ship to view.

Well, back to my story. I was first off the ship in Sitka and walked over to the shuttle buses to town, boarded the bus, sat down in the 2nd row passenger side, and once we had about 20 people on board we headed out. The driver of the bus was great. He gave us a great information about Sitka and its history. Also he told us about shopping in town. He said, "It's near the end of the cruise season, so ignore those signs in the stores, End of Season Sale. The signs have been there all season"! Then as we approached this hill half way into town he said, "Just over this hill on the right is Sitka's only McDonald's Restaurant. If you go there and order a Big Mac and you get sick, there is a hospital across the street. And if things don't work out in the hospital cause of your Big Mac attack. there is a funeral home next to the hospital." For which I replied, I guess the funeral director located his business next to the hospital and across from McDonald's because he was thinking outside the box!" 😲 😲

• Like 7
  • Haha 21

Good morning friends!  Another beautiful 57F morning when we awoke.  I looked at the forecast on my phone and for the first time ever saw 10 days of sunshine as our forecast.  Boy, am I looking forward to that!  I did my treadmill work, my prayers, breakfast and shower so will relax all day since we have nothing planned.  Our exterminator will be dropping by for our quarterly service, but he doesn't even have to come inside.  We have very few pests inside the house, and he does all his spraying outdoors.  There is a fire ant hill at the back lot line so he can treat that too.

Roy @rafinmdand Rich @richwmnthank you both for the heads up on the Volendam at sea finally.  It's a great day in my opinion.  I would also like to thank Rich for posting the Daily for us all.  I don't eat crab but DH does so a shoutout to the crabs.  Now, cream filled donuts are right up my alley so I will take any unwanted donuts.  Princess ships have great cream or custard filled donuts at their International Cafes.  As for quiet, I really enjoy peace and quiet so I will celebrate along with the UK.  I would enjoy the menu item, and the sauvignon blanc.  Our port today of Sihanoukville is a first time appearance.  I have not been to Cambodia.  Thanks in advance for any photos you might post.

Prayers said already today, and I made sure to include all my Daily friends on the Care list.  Cheers to the Celebration list people.  Debbie @dfishI know your house will sell soon.  I've been in your shoes many times.  The waiting is excruciating but it will happen, I know.  Can't wait to hear that happy news.  Good luck driving in the rain today Jacqui @kazufor your counseling session.  It's odd how it always rains on a Wednesday there!  

Have a wonderful day today!  DH just pointed out 4 deer behind our lot.  Two adults and two fawns.  Adorable.  As long as they want to eat grass or weeds down there I'm fine with them.  No luscious plantings up here for them anyway!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Just a quick check in, another busy day here. Yesterday I canned some hot pickled banana peppers. Today I need to prep the meal for our Wednesday gatherings and make a gluten free chocolate cake. One of our group is celebrating her 65th birthday today. Menu is maple glazed salmon, roasted Brussels sprouts and Caesar salad. Tomorrow I will be canning salsa. The garden has produced so many tomatoes that even giving many of them away we can’t keep up. 

prayers for those that need them and will hoist a drink in celebration later. Sadly, I think our Wednesday gatherings will soon stop around the pool (next door) and move inside as the evenings are getting quite cool and it costs a lot to heat the pool for one day a week. I see a pool closing in the near future. We have had a good run since early May, never rained out on a Wednesday. 

have a good day all.

Edited by superoma
Add menu and grammar
  • Like 24

Good morning  everyone. We are going to try the first recipe tonight thanks to Debbie @dfish.I hope you get an offer soon on your house.It is a stressful  time while one waits.

I no longer eat donuts but love crab every possible way it can be cooked.We have not been to Cambodia but would like to see pictures. 

We have had a lot of long nights here in the last week  and everyone  is cranky and tired.I have an urge to just get in the car and drive but that is neither practical  or responsible.We meet with the Hospice team today to discuss additional  help.It is expensive but if we all share the cost it should be possible. 

Thanks for the Daily/Fleet  report.It is a good place to visit every day.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 6

Good morning Daily-ites. A beautiful 63 degrees heating to 92 here in Georgetown. 

Prayers lifted. Hoping no new disasters happen to our Daily friends.

I'm with Debbie. I love king crab more than lobster.

image.png.7792a005170d67420ea1a86beb00f8f1.png

Tonight we are meeting friends for dinner at our local pub and going to a Tina Turner tribute show. We saw her last year and we had a great time. "Tina" came over to Allen and asked if she could sit on his lap and he said "I better ask my wife" It was priceless. 

Thanks all for posting and wishing you blessings and cheer. Xx

• Like 23

@dfish Debbie when we decided in May of 2020 to sell our house in Coeur d' Alene, we put the house on the market, flew down to Texas. Bought this house the next day and started furniture shopping. The following day we had an offer on our house. Flew back home put everything up for sale: car, jeep, all the furniture except a few pieces. The new owners needed us out by June 6th, so we flew to Georgetown and lived at the Sheraton til this house closed on June 18th. I can't believe we did it so fast.

• Like 23