The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday September 24th, 2022

richwmn

Today is International Rabbit Day, National Cherries Jubilee Day, and National Hunting and Fishing Day

Indifference and neglect often do much more damage than outright dislike.--J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Meal Suggestion for today - Chipotle Turkey Chilaquiles
Drink of the Day - Beam Ade
Wine of the Day - Bogle 2019 Pinot Noir (California) California Othe
Destination of the Day - Muscat, Oman

Eurodam

Seattle, Washington 07:00 - 16:00

Koningsdam

Vancouver, BC Canada 07:00 - 16:30

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination Vancouver, BC Canada eta 09/25

Nieuw Statendam

Quebec City, Canada - 16:00

Noordam

At Sea Destination Icy Strait Point, Hoonah, Alaska eta 09/25

Oosterdam

Corfu Island, Kerkyra, Greece 08:00 - 17:00

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Rotterdam, Netherlands South Holland eta 09/25

Volendam

Trieste, Italy - 17:00

Westerdam

Victoria BC, Vancouver Island, BC Canada 18:00 - 23:59

Zaandam

Boston, Massachusetts 07:00 - 17:00

Zuiderdam

Skagway, Alaska 07:00 - 21:00

0924World.thumb.png.b66d73c7b133433f5ffd40272320dda3.png

• Like 24
  • Thanks 11

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  Fall is definitely in the air today.  Yesterday we had the furnace checked for winter.  When I came downstairs this morning I was surprised that the furnace was running.  The service guy left it on.  I’m curious about today’s meal suggestion and look forward to seeing pictures and recipes.  @kazu I hope you are doing ok in the storm.  The local weather report shows your area getting 80 mph winds.

image.thumb.png.d07a11bd5db74b2464b154a11dd8da25.png

• Like 25

Good morning.  Thanks for the Fleet and Daily Report.

Definitely need the furnace on this morning, it's only 4C (40F) but supposed to get up to a sunny 17C (63F) this afternoon.  Summer is over.  It's still darkish, so Bertie will have to wait for his first walk.

Bertie loves chasing rabbits, I've never had cherries jubilee and I usually only go hunting for bargains.

Good quote.

Looking forward to seeing today's meal suggestion, sounds interesting.

I hope the drink and wine are good too.

Prayers for everyone.  I hope the storm isn't too bad down east and @kazuis okay.

Have a wonderful Saturday.

Stay safe.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon.

It is sunny now after heavy rain earlier.

Thank you for the fleet reports and Daily Rich.

I particularly like cherries.

I have never been hunting or fishing.

Interesting quote.

We have been to Muscat 3 times on Emirates cruises.

There is a nice promenade walk to the centre where there are some interesting Bazaar's.

A couple of years ago my Avatar was a picture of me in Muscat.

I hope everyone is safe and looking forward to the weekend.

Graham.

Screenshot_20220924_115521.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 26

What Are Chilaquiles, and Why Should You Make Them?

The word chilaquiles comes from the Nahuatl language, meaning chilis and greens. A traditional dish served in Mexico, the recipe hit the United States in 1898 when featured in The Spanish Cookbook, by Encarnación Pinedo.

Chilaquiles are a traditional Mexican breakfast dish consisting of corn tortillas cut into quarters and lightly fried. Typically, corn tortillas cut into quarters and lightly fried or baked for a lighter version are the basis of the dish. Verdes (green) or rojos (red) salsa is poured over the crisp tortilla triangles. The mixture is simmered until the tortilla starts softening.

Not only is this dish affordable, but it’s also great for entertaining since both major components (the chips and the sauce) can be made in advance. Chilaquiles are also a great meatless option, and amazing for weeknights when you’re in need of a dish that’s ready in under 30 minutes.

The beauty of chilaquiles is they are completely customizable. Serve with a scrambled or fried egg on top, or with cheese, shredded chicken, or roasted veggies — the options are endless. Because it’s so versatile, this dish is the perfect opportunity to use up any leftovers found in the fridge.

Here is a traditional recipe with eggs, no turkey.  https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/marcela-valladolid/chipotle-chilaquiles-2579242

1409925498662.jpeg

Here’s the first recipe for Chipotle Turkey Chilaquiles.  Love this site, seems to be an authentic preparation. https://www.mexicoinmykitchen.com/chipotle-chilaquiles-recipe/

Chipotle Chilaquiles recipe , delicious chipotle salsa over crispy corn tortillas.

This recipe promotes the use of leftovers. https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/chipotle-turkey-chilaquiles/

Chipotle Turkey Chilaquiles

This one suggests chilaquiles as a way of using your leftover Thanksgiving turkey. 

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/turkey-chilaquiles-236486

Image may contain Plant and Food

• Like 24
  • Thanks 8

Thank you for the Saturday report, Rich.  I'll pass on the rabbits and hunting/fishing but love Cherries Jubilee.  I think there's a lot of truth in the Rowling quote.  Been to Muscat twice, Silver Whisper in 2007 and Queen Victoria 2010.  It sounds like Fiona is not as strong as was feared but still a very significant storm and I'm thinking of @kazu as well as those on Nieuw Statendam.  Hopefully things will calm down a lot before they leave the St. Lawrence.  I'll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Pot Roast Vegetable Casserole and Meringue Berry Tart as served at Oosterdam's Mariner Brunch (I boarded September 25 and the Brunch was September 29).

brunch.jpg

Today’s care list:

RIP MissG DFIL 9/22/22
1Angelcat cancelling cruise
Western wildfires  and those in Fiona’s path
Marshhawk’s friend Jesse with throat cancer and in denial
Seriousness of Cruzin Terri’s leak damage
From the rotation:
Strength for luvteaching’s friend Karen after Wayne’s 9/3 death
Sandi’s neighbor Linda
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
HAL Sailer Sister in Law with aggressive cancer therapy

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Volendam embarking cruise passengers
5 days for LoveTheBeach (Adventure OTS 9/29 to 10/8)
Bon Voyage fatcat04 (Nieuw Amsterdam 9/24 to 10/2)
Rowsby in Hawaii until 9/28
0106 covering menus for dfish
norseh20 (Regata  to 9/25),  Oceansaway17 (Adventure OTS to 9/25), Vict0riann (Nieuw Amsterdam  to 9/25), sailingdutchy (Oosterdam  to 10/10), and  Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 24
  • Thanks 12

13 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Saturday report, Rich.  I'll pass on the rabbits and hunting/fishing but love Cherries Jubilee.  I think there's a lot of truth in the Rowling quote.  Been to Muscat twice, Silver Whisper in 2007 and Queen Victoria 2010.  It sounds like Fiona is not as strong as was feared but still a very significant storm and I'm thinking of @kazu as well as those on Nieuw Statendam.  Hopefully things will calm down a lot before they leave the St. Lawrence.  I'll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Pot Roast Vegetable Casserole and Meringue Berry Tart as served at Oosterdam's Mariner Brunch (I boarded September 25 and the Brunch was September 29).

brunch.jpg

Today’s care list:

RIP MissG DFIL 9/22/22
1Angelcat cancelling cruise
Western wildfires  and those in Fiona’s path
Marshhawk’s friend Jesse with throat cancer and in denial
Seriousness of Cruzin Terri’s leak damage
From the rotation:
Strength for luvteaching’s friend Karen after Wayne’s 9/3 death
Sandi’s neighbor Linda
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
HAL Sailer Sister in Law with aggressive cancer therapy

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Volendam embarking cruise passengers
5 days for LoveTheBeach (Adventure OTS 9/29 to 10/8)
Bon Voyage fatcat04 (Nieuw Amsterdam 9/24 to 10/2)
Rowsby in Hawaii until 9/28
0106 covering menus for dfish
norseh20 (Regata  to 9/25),  Oceansaway17 (Adventure OTS to 9/25), Vict0riann (Nieuw Amsterdam  to 9/25), sailingdutchy (Oosterdam  to 10/10), and  Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thank you for posting the lists daily for us Roy.

Graham.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for our Saturday Daily, Rich 🙂 

Interesting collection of days.  I would love to celebrate Cherries Jubilee day - maybe on board a BHB?  

Love today’s quote - it is ever so true.  Yum on the meal suggestion for today.  Thanks @0106for the recipe.  I’ll need to save it though - can’t go anywhere today to get a couple of the ingredients I need.

The furnace talk reminds me of the game a lot of us play here:

E22F4F4E-971E-4084-B9F9-455FFA4EBA91.thumb.jpeg.babf8d7ea9e41db0dbc4dd9455047693.jpeg

I confess I turned mine on last night as it was so very damp and if we lost power the generator doesn’t heat the house.  I wanted to get the dampness out.

Well post tropical cyclone Fiona (that’s what they are calling it now and explained it’s pattern is more like a ‘Nor Easter (those are dreaded here) ) arrived last night.  And it’s pounding the trees and blowing like anything.  Forecasters are saying it will be the worst storm to ever hit Canada.  Historic.  

@Crazy For CatsFortunately our wind gusts are not 80 mph - Nova Scotia, PEI and Newfoundland are/will get that & the worst of it but our gusts are tropical storm strength, destructive and not to be sneezed at.  Only lost power for a smidge (the blinking clock on the stove told me so) - but not long enough for the generator to kick in.  I’m prepared though:

A7181C27-042D-415A-A86A-4054AED3D4C6.thumb.jpeg.9d8f2c1c656f43dc9bef341cea3f236b.jpeg

Not sure if power will hold - the storm is here until at least tonight for us.  It’s far reaching.  So far about 1/2 million households/businesses without power.  Around 450,000 in Nova Scotia, just under 50,000 here and a bit in PEI and Newfoundland.  It will get worse before it gets better.  Damage is really bad in Nova Scotia and big worries for PEI.  The focus is on them so I haven’t heard of the damage here.  It appears my prep work did the trick though.  One thing has moved but not much and I tore out and tucked it further under the bench.

The worry is trees as there was so much rain the ground is soft and it’s easy to upturn them - lots of pics of that on the news.  So far, mine are holding 🤞 

As I was sitting here waiting for the storm last night someone was a tad careless and came onto our roll call to announce that our cruise was cancelled 😱 I was in a mild heart attack syndrome (as were a few others) until I checked their posts.  It was the 2023 one cancelled (she was on that roll call) and not ours in 6 weeks.  Whew 😰 I definitely needed wine for that one.

4D91396B-4DD1-417B-8023-A6DE87D3960E.thumb.jpeg.4b51de400ce56e031906e12c974a23c2.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list, those in the path of Fiona & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a good Saturday everyone !!!

CFB2B1BF-7B3B-41EA-9BB6-0EB87337EDA4.jpeg.d166bbafd97cf78b7dc5e8f424aa289d.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 when / where needed.

• Like 31
  • Thanks 15

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily, Rich! Roy, thank you for keeping our lists.

it was downright cool here this morning when Bindi and I went out. Fall is definitely in the air. Yesterday we had a rainless Nor’easter, so the winds made our afternoon walks so lovely.  Heading off to Zumba, then dinner at my friend’s this evening. Yes after three weeks of traveling together, we are still friends!

Bindi no longer bothers with squirrels. But the cats, armadillos, foxes, raccoons, moles, and tortoises better watch out. 

958375D8-74B5-4764-BAA7-5E300363E983.jpeg.2f7a662a1e45242c3d84b775294669c0.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating. Stay well everyone.

Bogle 2019 Pinot Noir (California)

I need to try this one. Less than $9! If I don’t like it, I will try out my Clef du Vin on it. If I still don’t like it, I have a new cooking wine. Available from several online distributors with prices starting at $8.95.

Winemaker Notes

Bogle winemakers have sourced fruit from the best growing regions in California for the varietal. The terroirs of the cool Russian River Valley, coastal Monterey hills and the unique Clarksburg Delta all grow fruit of character and distinction. Combined, the resulting wine is an elegant, classic Pinot Noir.

WE91 Wine Enthusiast

Rich black-fruit notes fill the aromas and flavors of this saturated and full-bodied wine. Gorgeous black cherry and blueberry flavors are wrapped in fine-grained tannins for a mouth filling effect. 

WW90 Wilfred Wong of Wine.com
What do the AVAs of Clarksburg, Arroyo Seco, and Lodi have in common? The answer, when a winery that knows what they are doing produces a Pinot Noir for this trio of growing regions, the wine can be excellent. TASTING NOTES: This wine brings lively red fruit and soft tannins onto its palate. Enjoy it with freshly-made carnitas tacos.
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 3

Good morning friends!  Another sunny day ahead of us with a high of 80F.  Perfect!  It started out at 48F though so definitely a nip in the air this morning.  We've had such a nice stretch of weather the past week or more.  I remember before that complaining about rain or chance of rain every day for it seemed like a month.  This is our reward!

Good to hear Jacqui @kazuhas things under control and hasn't blown away.  The falling trees really are a problem so I hope and pray that doesn't come about.  Good memes this morning.  😅

Thank you Rich @richwmnfor the Daily and Fleet Report.  How exciting to see a departure time shown for the Volendam finally.  I had hoped someone would have a live from thread so will check again after posting here.  Cheers to rabbits on their day of celebration.  I enjoy cherries jubilee but only while cruising.  A salute to those who enjoy hunting and fishing.  Nice quote.  The menu suggestion looks nice.  Thanks Tina @0106for handling that for Debbie @dfish.  Hoping that Debbie and Sue find the perfect home either today or tomorrow.  

Thanks Roy @rafinmdfor our Care and Celebration lists.  I think we need more things to celebrate since the list seems shorter than the Care list.  I said my prayers for all earlier, walked 2.5 miles on the treadmill, and am free today to do whatever I want.  That's cause for celebration in my mind!😁 On to other things.  Muscat, Oman was port of the day on May 8, 2021.  Here is a link to Rich's post that day in case you have photos you'd like to import to this thread.   I have not been to Muscat or any other Oman port.

It's travel weekend for the Jaguars so I guess DS's family is in Chicago to play soccer.  Fingers crossed that all works out well for their team.  Last weekend they won both games (4 to 1 and 4 to 0).  Ren and the two other new players (Tigers originally) scored 7 of the 8 goals for the team.  The coach must be happy with his new recruits!

Hope all have a nice day and Fiona passes by quickly.  Take care!

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebration Report, and thank you Tina for today's recipes. And  thank you all for being here! Have a great weekend!

I had an MRI done on my right knee early evening on Thursday. It has been giving me trouble for the seven years since I broke that ankle, along with other complications. I have had cortiscosteroid  shots numerous times and once the  hydro gel injection.

My nurse practitioner called me last evening before he went home with the results of the MRI. In his words the MRI writeup gives a whole paragraph to each discrepancy found. Bottom line is that my knee is in worse shape than I thought. I will probably be a candidate for a knee replacement sooner than expected. It seems that I am bone-on-bone on the medial side and have small meniscus tears along with some fluid. I am going to have the hydrogel injection again.That did provide relief before. A few years ago I asked an ortho "when do you get a knee replaced?" His response was when we can't control the pain - and you keep falling down! I am not to that point yet and don't use a cane or other device!  🙂  Hopefully my knee performs well enough for our upcoming trip next month.

Stay Safe!

- Jack

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 10

Good morning from a very cool and slightly damp SW Ontario. I need to hang out my laundry but have to wait until a small front passes over us. The rest of the day should be sunny with a rainy day forecast for tomorrow. Fall is definitely here. The garden is still producing lots of tomatoes daily but that will slow down as the weather stays cool. Here’s hoping we don’t get a Heavy frost for a few weeks so we continue having fresh tomatoes.  Waiting for the sweet potatoes to decide they are ready. The leeks and parsnips are fine even with a bit of frost. Sad to see the garden starting to empty. 

• Like 24

Good cool and cloudy morning. It’s hard to believe how the weather changed this week from almost 90 to 45 this morning.

I remember when the cherries Jubilee were flambéed tableside on the ship. 
@kazu, thinking about you in the midst of the storm. Stay safe 🙏🤞

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  Rabbits are quite adorable, the last time I had cherries jubilee was on a BHB, and although I've taken the hunter safety course, I've never gone hunting.  I do love to fish, however.

I've been keeping a close eye on the weather for our friends in the Maritime provinces - hoping they're safe and that their property isn't damaged.  Mother Nature can sure be cantankerous some times!  @kazuI'm happy to hear so far things are good for you; as long as you've got your wine and storm chips, you should be fine.

A quiet, but sunny Saturday in store for us with not a lot on the agenda.  DH has to get the topless car ready to put into storage - tomorrow he will take it out of town to the storage centre  where it will rest until April next year.   He was thinking of keeping it in our garage over the winter and I nixed that idea - we need to keep our driving vehicle in there, rather than leaving it standing outside in -40C weather.  I'd rather pay the storage fee than have to sweep and scrape off, and warm up a vehicle in the middle of winter.

I like today's menu suggestion, as it sounds like a great way to use leftovers, which may come into play in our house after Thanksgiving this year.  Today I've got a small beef roast that is going to be cut up into cubes and put into the slow cooker to make stew (an easy prep and DH's fave), which will be served along with a tossed salad for dinner on the deck tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for those who are hurting - extra for everyone in Fiona's path, and cheers to the celebrants.  Stay safe, everyone!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.

Just a short check in before we get ready to head over to our house.  Got a few things to do there and then I have a mani-pedi appointment.  My nails are like claws at this point and need attention.  

Prayers for all in the path of Fiona, especially @kazu.

We are keeping a watch on the tropical storm as it moves into Florida.

We are supposed to fly to Barbados on Oct. 3 out of Jax and then MIA.  Not sure if that is going to happen at this point. This anniversary trip seems doomed.  Last year we had to cancel because of DBIL’s passing.  Now it seems that we have a hurricane that may cancel flights.  If we have to cancel again, we will just give up.

Don’t know where we will hang our hat as we are giving up the condo and it is rented to someone else and we have not made other arrangements.  We will basically be homeless if we don’t go.

Prayers for all on the cares list, and cheers to those celebrating.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 23
  • Thanks 5

Happy Saturday Morning Dailyites!  We noticed on Britbox that season 7 of Shetland started, so we stayed up to midnight again!!!  and I overslept this morning.  Yes it is darker later in the morning, and yes, I was pinned down by two cats.  Irving insists on lying on me all night, and because he is old, he is not retracting his claws that well, so if I move at all, I get scratched.  Well, I wont be making breakfast this morning so glad I got mini bagels with cream cheese.  Yesterday I worked Asheville, this morning I'm back in Louisville, with the afternoon in Asheville.  

I just saw the path of Ian, my lovely island vacation spot of Sanibel is right in it's path.

Right now, I desperately need more coffee.  Glad to read that @kazu is doing well so far today, @Cruzin TerriI like the new flooring.  @grapau27 Thank you for the Italian food porn last night.

497a92520b825b462bcac253e2978d16--baby-animals-funny-animals.jpg

I actually noticed yesterday that fall has arrived, as the only hardwood in the back yard has lost all it's leaves.

65efb6e59bf0c23df07d2143e6ae1b8f.jpg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

I'm taking my sister to the airport so she can fly back home  to her family.  It's been a fun time with my sister. The house will be quiet when she is gone.  Nice to be home. I am being overwhelmed by information about my 91 days on the Volendam so will take some with a gain of salt.  Nice to again hear from all of you. 

• Like 24

Good morning! After a brutal week of retired living I decided to sleep in late. Hey! Every day is a weekend!

Last night we enjoyed some grilled ham steaks and pineapple’s with Black Eye Peas and Spinach. Today we are going to our local brewery which is hosting a car show of Ferraris, and other cars we can’t afford.After that our local Rotary Club is having it’s annual Octoberfest so maybe tonight’s dinner will be some Brats!

Lot’s going on in the next few days but the most anticipated is our new dishwasher is finally 🙏 supposed to be installed Tuesday.

Must have been an interesting ride on the Zaandam last night. Maybe some fellow CC member will chime in with an onboard account.

Jacqui I was glad to hear that your not getting the brunt of this storm and for my fellow Floridians I hope the coming storm is kind to your property and safe being. Haven’t seen Jim Cantore from the Weather Channel roaming around our beaches which is always a good sign we are not in the forecasted path! One never knows!

Thanks for the reports and may all of you have a great and safe weekend.

Bruce

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1