The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday November 26th, 2022

richwmn

1 hour ago, Ichiban Nekko said:

Good Morning! Enjoying fabulous Italian coffee and divine pastries on Las Olas Blvd before boarding the Nieuw Statendam. Took a moment to scan the Daily. Love the days, the F&B suggestions and photos of Halong Bay (Bucket List).

@Horizon chaser 1957 Your gorgeous safari photos stirred 40-year old memories of my time in Southern Africa. Thanks so much.

Time to check out of hotel, organize Uber to Port Everglades and board the NS. 😁

Bes wishes to all,

-Caat & David

Best wishes for an absolutely fantastic cruise.

Graham 

• Like 5

Good morning all!

I didn't get here yesterday, but we had a wonderful Thanksgiving with my sister, DBIL, and one of their daughters and her DH.  After stuffing ourselves with a huge Thanksgiving dinner, we had a rousing game of Scrabble, watched a movie,  and laughed ourselves silly.  The next morning was a delicious breakfast and more laughs before we headed home.  We brought a box of leftovers to DS and DDIL -- they're still moving into their "new" home, have on-going renovations still, and are training their new pup Pepper (who is doing VERY well).  She's adorable, and Rogue, their 7-year-old dog, seems to be accepting her very well.  They play together in the yard until they both fall asleep exhausted.

DD, DSIL and the DGSs are still at Whistler with his family, they'll come home tomorrow.  Our youngest grandson isn't 100% yet, whatever this is (not Covid) really knocked him down. 😞  Nobody else has gotten it, but it will be a miracle if they don't.  

Today is my Dad's heavenly birthday.  He passed in 2018 at the age of 101 and I miss him every day.

Today DH and I plan to get our flu shots, and I need to catch up on the laundry.  In 2 weeks DH's sister will arrive from Savannah and we'll have DH's surprise birthday party.  I need to work on those plans too and get the guest room ready for her.  Lots to do!  Snow is predicted here next week, I've warned her to get some long johns!  She feels cold when it goes below 70F so this will be quite a shock for her.

@seagarsmokerI'm so glad you're feeling better!

Lenda @Quartzsite CruiserOh no about the roof leak!  Thank you for the great photos of Ha Long Bay and Cai Lan.

@Horizon chaser 1957Fabulous photos!  Thank you for sharing them.

Vanessa @JazzyVI hope you get better news today about BFF's DF's condition.

Sandi @StLouisCruisersyou must be so proud of Ren and Colton!  Wonderful about the scouting!

Caat and David @Ichiban NekkoBon Voyage and enjoy my favorite ship!!

Rogue and Pepper

1220119220_RogueandPepper.jpg.8afec1a53289357c32dbe38efb20755c.jpg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Good morning, all! In spite of good intentions, I haven’t been on the Daily in forever. 
We were supposed to be in Luderitz today, but the high winds had other plans. DH and I took a five day overland safari in Kruger from Maputo to Cape Town. We’ve never been to Africa before - it is amazing!

BE126262-E150-4F8B-AD0F-BDCFF7A7DE8D.thumb.jpeg.80331096ce855891c70d513bb1544bd9.jpeg

Leopard

75BB6F01-7ACF-424B-A699-686687E4AF04.thumb.jpeg.1fe04038ca86a919a36ecbf7fa35f253.jpeg

Hippo

E3257D22-25DB-437E-AC1D-D31C1408DD5C.thumb.jpeg.30aba70b69317a5c1c22bd234a9451bc.jpeg

Wildebeest 

C8C19E1C-CE53-4E86-83B3-3FA45D145C44.thumb.jpeg.9aae05e149bab21381d91b7711fb7882.jpeg

Elephant

0C6481F9-78D3-4EE5-A622-0495ACEBDEF7.thumb.jpeg.de1c771c85d3953c4052e5068810cf6d.jpeg

Warthog 

553183DF-E1C2-449E-BB52-C59AB66E468C.thumb.jpeg.d56a580d8887df1cd1d08e928c43449c.jpeg

Leopard (different one)

1E5F6479-669E-492F-ADCD-1766A72B01E9.thumb.jpeg.16978acd802833871709f07a6562dc00.jpeg

Zebra

05564934-66C3-4166-86E8-8AA5C1767840.thumb.jpeg.0d82ec9c6d42563c2f80fbac52ac0b59.jpeg

Giraffe 

435E3377-370E-4F62-8E09-37F57D9FBDD3.thumb.jpeg.7fefed9d20ec53251e37e6a01a45197a.jpeg

Wild Dogs, also called Painted Wolves

982620E7-1429-4641-BD31-A3797583E3FF.thumb.jpeg.6183449c4dad2c18862b63b76ea68fa9.jpeg

Hyena - NOT the same as a wild dog!

220870CF-E61A-48FE-A387-C815C7DAF4A8.thumb.jpeg.61ad97b280efd692404ddffe08fce9b5.jpeg

Lion

646CD64A-D4A7-4E91-8428-DE51F722476F.jpeg.9fb9fa2a985b42e2a7f197cffc64994c.jpeg

Rhinos

B1364F76-7FBB-454E-934F-6B1BC843075A.thumb.jpeg.28d155032a4f431372477b4e95f50c43.jpeg

Cape Buffalo 

323344AB-E345-47F5-8F8C-E3A28EDE0951.thumb.jpeg.438b31fc3bbb1e050d06238deb67b0be.jpeg

watching sunset on the bushveld 

Happy Saturday, everyone, and yes, I’m spending it aboard a BHB!

Amazing photos.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, HAL4NOW said:

College opportunities will always be there; soccer opportunities will be short lived. I received my BA at the age of 32 and wasn't the oldest graduate that day by any stretch of the imagination. One lady in our class was in her 60's. Taking college courses is even easier now with so much available on flexible schedules. 

Got to agree although there are many other considerations and each person is different in their approach. I worked for 5 years between high school and college. Then even took a break of about 18 months during my BA to earn more money. After I finally went back to finish BA I kept on going straight through to my Ph.D. And it is easier to do now with on-line work and flexible schedules. Lots of decisions to be made.

Susan

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  Love cake, especially the icing; we need laws and I do respect all small business owners.

It's a flurry of activity here today, so I haven't had time to read this entire thred - the family arrived at midnight last night with both boys shouting "Grandma, Grandpa, we're here!!"  Who'd have thought a 7 and almost 3 year old would be coherent at that hour . . .   Apparently each had about an hour's sleep on the road, so they were wide awake when they got to our place.   We had some snacks and everyone was in bed by around 1:30.

This morning the parents got up and headed over to the car dealership where they're still "wheeling and dealing" on their new vehicle.  They've been gone a couple of hours, and we expect to see them home in the next little while.  DH and I have been busy with the boys; so far they've eaten oranges, grapes, raspberries, blueberries, Eggos, yogurt (Grandma's special with mini M&M's on them), and bananas.  Right now it looks like someone trashed the kitchen.  LOL

This afternoon we're planning on heading over to a mall where they can run around and possibly enjoy the ride-on motorized animals for a while.  You can rent these cute little critters, sit on them like a horse and ride them around the mall . . . can't wait to see them do it.

I like today's menu suggestion, but we've got the plans for the family to enjoy the baked porcupine balls that I started yesterday, mashed potatoes, carrots and a salad around the dining table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for all who are in need, and cheers to everyone with something to celebrate.  Stay well, be safe.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 21

We acrually had sun this morning.  I'd almost forgotten what it was like to have clear skies and sun.  We'll have clouds the rest of the day, then sun tomorrow.

From looking at the rain gauge from a distance, it looks like over the last week, we got more than 4 inches of rain.  The ground is still too soggy to get to the rain gauage to empty it. 

As far as the roof leak, we will get the contractor out once things settle down.  We have a couple of ideas for him to check.  If they are not the problem, the next step will be to open the ceiling to try to find where the leak is.  Right now, that is not a great option, so we'll just live with the leak like we've been doing for the past few years.  At least, this morning, no water dripped from the ceiling and the cookies were safe.

Meanwhile, I'll relax while I'm keeping DH company until his PT session at 2.  I have to stop at W-M on the way home, and I'm not looking forward to it. 

@Ichiban Nekko

🎉 🎈 BON VOYAGE & HAVE A GREAT CRUISE!  🥂 🍾

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 19

Good morning and Happy Saturday from Beautiful Tucson. DGD has been with us since Thanksgiving and we are really enjoying having her around even though she spends too much time on her phone.  I made her favorite no knead bread last night, it makes wonderful grilled cheese sandwiches. We got takeout from Chipotle last night after dropping off a Thanksgiving dinner care package to DS & SO. We saw a live Christmas tree on top of a car, so it’s beginning to look a little like Christmas. 🎄

I’m not a big soup person so I’ll pass on the French Onion, although Craig would love to have some. We have a few local businesses that we like to frequent. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 19

Good morning and thanks all!   Hope our American friends had a good thanks giving!  Was a bit busy with many  medical and dental appointments, finally hoping the temporary crown stays on, 4 dental appointments this week, argggh!  But all is ok thankfully for me.  Our lovely neighbour got out of the hospital earlier this week, but went back yesterday and had emergency neurosurgery last night.    Hopefully things will improve soon.  
@seagarsmoker glad the meds are helping! 
@StLouisCruisers how exciting for your grandson!  One of the students I taught did go on to play for Man U and Bayern Munich. So you never know! 
@aliaschiefenjoyed your photos of Hearst castle,  such an interesting area.  We’ve visited twice and would love to return.  We also enjoyed the elephant seals and moonstone beach. 
@MISTER 67 discovered a new writer,  Chris Pavone.  Also love Daniel Silva
@Quartzsite Cruiserenjoyed your Photos!  Hope Steve is getting stronger!  

@Horizon chaser 1957wonderful photos,

We’re also dog sitting so life is busier than usual, lol!   She is on guard, although was not too happy about the deer at 2:30 am!  

ABC7CC4B-326F-4E21-8237-F7E8B2841708.jpeg

6C9E8BB1-70D3-44F5-B7D6-61307F8ADADA.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Joy @Seasick Sailor, take the extra tops. It does get boring to wear the same thing even though you are probably the only one who knows. I’m envious, I wish I could join you and Allen.  BTW, I try to avoid those negative threads with all the complaining. 

@seagarsmoker so good to hear you are feeling better. 

Carol @mamaofami, has anyone else gotten covid in your family?  I hope you are well. 

Sandi @StLouisCruisers, what great news about your grandsons!  Congratulations to them!  Good to hear you found a good table in the MDR. 

Vanessa @JazzyV, how is BFF’s DF doing?  I hope all is well. 

Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser, you are cooking up quite the bakery in your kitchen!  I love your tradition of making Key Lime Pie with your leftover egg yolks (or is it egg whites? I don’t know, I’ve never made one!). I hope DH is coming home soon. 

Terry @smitty34877, thanks for the input about using frozen spinach in the lasagna. I’ve discovered it’s a lot easier to squeeze out the liquid in the spinach when it’s totally defrosted and not cold. 😉. This last time (for the spinach soufflé) I left it out overnight, worked so much easier. 

Also, has anyone else noticed how much easier it is to tag using the blue bubble lately?  They must have updated the feature because now your most frequently used posters pop up first when you type the @ and then a letter or two. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

23 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Good morning and thanks all!   Hope our American friends had a good thanks giving!  Was a bit busy with many  medical and dental appointments, finally hoping the temporary crown stays on, 4 dental appointments this week, argggh!  But all is ok thankfully for me.  Our lovely neighbour got out of the hospital earlier this week, but went back yesterday and had emergency neurosurgery last night.    Hopefully things will improve soon.  
@StLouisCruisers how exciting for your grandson!  One of the students I taught did go on to play for Man U and Bayern Munich. So you never know! 
@aliaschiefenjoyed your photos of Hearst castle,  such an interesting area.  We’ve visited twice and would love to return.  We also enjoyed the elephant seals and moonstone beach. 

We’re also dog sitting so life is busier than usual, lol!   She is on guard, although was not too happy about the deer at 2:30 am!  

I'm a big fan of Daniel Silva, have read all his books. I'll give Pavone a try, thanks for the recommendation, always looking for new authors.

• Like 9

13 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Joy @Seasick Sailor, take the extra tops. It does get boring to wear the same thing even though you are probably the only one who knows. I’m envious, I wish I could join you and Allen.  BTW, I try to avoid those negative threads with all the complaining. 

Carol @mamaofami, has anyone else gotten covid in your family?  I hope you are well. 

Sandi @StLouisCruisers, what great news about your grandsons!  Congratulations to them!  Good to hear you found a good table in the MDR. 

Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser, you are cooking up quite the bakery in your kitchen!  I love your tradition of making Key Lime Pie with your leftover egg yolks (or is it egg whites? I don’t know, I’ve never made one!). I hope DH is coming home soon. 

Terry @smitty34877, thanks for the input about using frozen spinach in the lasagna. I’ve discovered it’s a lot easier to squeeze out the liquid in the spinach when it’s totally defrosted and not cold. 😉. This last time (for the spinach soufflé) I left it out overnight, worked so much easier. 

Also, has anyone else noticed how much easier it is to tag using the blue bubble lately?  They must have updated the feature because now your most frequently used posters pop up first when you type the @ and then a letter or two. 

Sharon, so far we’re all ok but it’s only been 2 days. Grandsons mom is recovering from a bad concussion, Sam has had it twice but was also exposed upmclose and personal. It’s a wait and see game now.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 6

3 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

I'm a big fan of Daniel Silva, have read all his books. I'll give Pavone a try, thanks for the recommendation, always looking for new authors.

Just finishing his the Travellers,   An interesting concept.  Also recommend  Beneath a scarlet sky, by Mark Sullivan,  based on true life resistance in Italy during the war.   And Adrian McKinty, Under the Cold Cold ground,  set in Northern Ireland during the troubles. 
ok,  I’ll stop now, lol! 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

What a wonderful thread this is, just discovered it a few days ago. Should be on a Ultimate Caribbean cruise right now, but had to cancel due to a temporary health issue, so here I am.

I have just booked our first cruise with HAL, very excited to try it out. We started cruising years ago with NCL, but have been almost exclusively with Celebrity the last 10 years. This April 30th will be our 30th Anniversary,  so I am going to surprise my DW.  Will let her know after her birthday in January. I was looking for a sailing departing the 30th, and am actually excited for a lot of other itineraries HAL offers, so its a 1 week Alaska test cruise.

So quickly, its Rob and Sue from Vancouver BC.  I was retired, got talked into coming back, and love it.  DW has a small business, will probably shut it down in a few years, until then I will make more fun money. 

Once again, wonderful posts, and quick question: Does HAL have lobster nights? Its a thing for me.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Sharon, I also try to avoid the negative thread.  The key lime pie is one of the easiest to make.    I guess part of that is I buy the ready made graham cracker crusts, and key lime juice from one of the shops in Key West.  Actually, their key lime juice can be found in many grocery stores.

The recipe calls for 3 egg yolks, 1/2 cup key lime juice and 1 can sweetened condensed milk,  Mix them together and pour into the pie shell.  Bake at 325F for 30 minutes or 350F for 15 minutes.  I prefer the longer cooking time.  If I don't have leftover egg yolks, I've been known to use three whole eggs.  The pie is a little creamier and softer.  By turning the kitchen into a mini bakery yesterday, this messy baker only had to clean the kitchen once. 🤣

DH is scheduled to come home next Thursday unless something changes at the team evaluatuon Tuesday, but we don't expect that to happen.

I've noticed the change in the blue bubble, and I like it.

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

Thank you Brenda, for your nice comments about the pictures.  DH is getting stronger, but it will still take time and in home PT to get back to normal.

41 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Sharon, so far we’re all ok but it’s only been 2 days. Grandsons mom is recovering from a bad concussion, Sam has had it twice but was also exposed upmclose and personal. It’s a wait and see game now.

Carol, glad everyone is feeling okay, and I hope that continues.

16 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Baby Ethan was welcomed into the world at 9 am. Mom and baby are well.

Joy, thank you for the news about baby Ethan.  Glad mama and son are doing well.

4 minutes ago, lobsternight said:

What a wonderful thread this is, just discovered it a few days ago. Should be on a Ultimate Caribbean cruise right now, but had to cancel due to a temporary health issue, so here I am.

I have just booked our first cruise with HAL, very excited to try it out. We started cruising years ago with NCL, but have been almost exclusively with Celebrity the last 10 years. This April 30th will be our 30th Anniversary,  so I am going to surprise my DW.  Will let her know after her birthday in January. I was looking for a sailing departing the 30th, and am actually excited for a lot of other itineraries HAL offers, so its a 1 week Alaska test cruise.

So quickly, its Rob and Sue from Vancouver BC.  I was retired, got talked into coming back, and love it.  DW has a small business, will probably shut it down in a few years, until then I will make more fun money. 

Once again, wonderful posts, and quick question: Does HAL have lobster nights? Its a thing for me.

Welcome to the Fleet/Daily, a very friendly place on CC.    I'm sure Sue will love the cruise.  I won't tell here before you have a chance to surprise her.  😉

Lenda

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, ger_77 said:

This afternoon we're planning on heading over to a mall where they can run around and possibly enjoy the ride-on motorized animals for a while.  You can rent these cute little critters, sit on them like a horse and ride them around the mall . . . can't wait to see them do it.

I was shopping with my mum in a mall a few weeks ago and they had those ride on animals.  I wanted to rent them for mum and I, but mum was afraid she'd fall off and break something, so we didn't do it.  I wonder if they allow adults to ride them?  I think it would be fun!

• Like 12

Just a quick hello and thank you. Pitmasters have been up early getting a large brisket on the smoker. My son makes some of the best brisket we’ve ever had. We all are still having sniffles but testing still supports it’s a day care head cold.

We are looking forward to our visit to Vietnam in 2024 World Cruise. Especially DaNang where I was stationed for a year on my first tour.

Will try and catch up later but moi has been tasked with several projects.

Thanks for the reports and post.

• Like 19

22 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

I was shopping with my mum in a mall a few weeks ago and they had those ride on animals.  I wanted to rent them for mum and I, but mum was afraid she'd fall off and break something, so we didn't do it.  I wonder if they allow adults to ride them?  I think it would be fun!

In our Idaho mall there is a weight limit.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Baby Ethan was welcomed into the world at 9 am. Mom and baby are well.

Congratulations to everyone, especially Mom & Dad!  Love the name Ethan!  

42 minutes ago, lobsternight said:

Welcome to the Daily!  And how appropriate on Local Small Business Day.  HAL doesn’t have a “lobster” night any longer, however the Pinnacle Grill has a fantastic Lobster tail for an up charge during some sailings in certain regions. 

DF9A6D74-D5D6-4BAD-9AFA-6732F3EE95D1.thumb.jpeg.4d1674cf3b1b27d852379ac43476d81b.jpeg

It was huge and very delicious. Best lobster tail I’ve ever had. 

However, it probably won’t be offered in the Pinnacle Grill during your sailing since you will be in Alaska. It’s usually crab legs in Alaska, which is also amazing. Also an up charge item but worth every penny. 

ABACB7CE-B8AD-40F0-93A2-D8FF1D6F87AB.thumb.jpeg.d1eb8cf5debf1ba2a6331a3cd9c5a372.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

I didn't get here yesterday, but we had a wonderful Thanksgiving with my sister, DBIL, and one of their daughters and her DH.  After stuffing ourselves with a huge Thanksgiving dinner, we had a rousing game of Scrabble, watched a movie,  and laughed ourselves silly.  The next morning was a delicious breakfast and more laughs before we headed home.  We brought a box of leftovers to DS and DDIL -- they're still moving into their "new" home, have on-going renovations still, and are training their new pup Pepper (who is doing VERY well).  She's adorable, and Rogue, their 7-year-old dog, seems to be accepting her very well.  They play together in the yard until they both fall asleep exhausted.

DD, DSIL and the DGSs are still at Whistler with his family, they'll come home tomorrow.  Our youngest grandson isn't 100% yet, whatever this is (not Covid) really knocked him down. 😞  Nobody else has gotten it, but it will be a miracle if they don't.  

Today is my Dad's heavenly birthday.  He passed in 2018 at the age of 101 and I miss him every day.

Today DH and I plan to get our flu shots, and I need to catch up on the laundry.  In 2 weeks DH's sister will arrive from Savannah and we'll have DH's surprise birthday party.  I need to work on those plans too and get the guest room ready for her.  Lots to do!  Snow is predicted here next week, I've warned her to get some long johns!  She feels cold when it goes below 70F so this will be quite a shock for her.

@seagarsmokerI'm so glad you're feeling better!

Lenda @Quartzsite CruiserOh no about the roof leak!  Thank you for the great photos of Ha Long Bay and Cai Lan.

@Horizon chaser 1957Fabulous photos!  Thank you for sharing them.

Vanessa @JazzyVI hope you get better news today about BFF's DF's condition.

Sandi @StLouisCruisersyou must be so proud of Ren and Colton!  Wonderful about the scouting!

Caat and David @Ichiban NekkoBon Voyage and enjoy my favorite ship!!

Rogue and Pepper

1220119220_RogueandPepper.jpg.8afec1a53289357c32dbe38efb20755c.jpg

Happy heavenly birthday to your dad Carolyn.

Graham.

0E28A08F-12A8-48E8-A080-FF0DF318DC39.gif.3041fde9886fd59f1bdcb8aa942c2699.gif

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Happy to hear @seagarsmokeris feeling better.  It does sound like the USA soccer (football) team needs some scorers.  I'd send Ren and friend Colton to help out but they are not grown men yet and need a little aging on them.  I haven't mentioned it but Ren and Colton were spotted by scouts and invited to Dallas to train for a week with the professional soccer team there.  They went with their mother's as guardians two weeks ago and the team have offered them a spot on their youth league team  Big decision whether they want to move down there.  No decision yet because other teams are considering them too. 

Sandi, three of the boys from DS's youth club team did go on to play professionally, but they did that after graduating from college.  So it can go that way, too.  And that way they get to go to the college of their choice.  Now that I'm thinking on it, one of DS's college teammates went on to play professionally after college, too.  So it can be done.

Whatever Ren decides, it's an exciting time for your family.  You have much to be proud of.  I'm picturing Ren as a Harvard team captain.   😍

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1