Is Celebrity getting a lot more expensive?

slanik

We have several Celebrity cruises booked out to spring of 2024.  Every time I see a sale, I check the current prices for my current bookings.  They are always more expensive now.  Sometimes they are almost twice as much now.  When I look beyond spring of 2024, I see lots of cruises very high priced.  Has inflation got to the cruise industry too?  Will I still be able to afford Celebrity in the future?  I hope so.  Anyone else notice this?

• Like 4

We booked a RS on Solstice back in August when they were running a 75% off the second person promotion.  I was able to get the suite at a cheaper rate than we've ever paid for a RS.  But this is on Solstice...a ship that hasn't been renovated or revolutionized.  Recently pricing the only suite category left on our sailing has the CS for roughly the same price we paid for the RS.  What I'm trying to say is, I think we got a good deal by booking back in August but those prices seem to have gone by way of the dodo bird....especially on the E class ships!

• Like 1

From what I can see we used to pay about $300-$400 per night all in for a balcony cabin. Now it’s more like $600-$700 for the same thing. I also think people right now are willing to spend more money on travel because they haven’t done much travelling over the last two years because of covid and the cruise companies are taking advantage of this fact because they can and because they need the money badly. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Guest 4-2-N-8
41 minutes ago, jelayne said:

The prices have increased, just like the price of food, gas, electricity, insurance and most everything else have gone up substantially in the past 18 months.

43 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

% wise, roughly by how much do you believe they increased pricing?

I just checked my two cruises on Celebrity for 2023 -

1) Beyond 7-night Caribbean in January. Paid in full for an EV at ~$26K. Now offered ~$1K less. My cost is just under ~$4K per night (but for two people)

2) Beyond 11-night Mediterranean in August. Booked an EV at ~$35K. It is now offered at ~$40K. My cost is just over $3K per night (but for two people)

Moral of story: Europe is a bargain. 😀

Edited by 4-2-N-8

I have a Beyond Caribbean in January 2023 in a SV... An IV today is about $800 cheaper with $200 OBC

Hard to compare because I booked with Premium drink and internet, that is not available any more and no SV left for the sailing...I also have $600 OBC.  This sailing is only at around 60% booked, so still a lot available for a sailing in 45 days.

My 2024 sailing I booked in March is the same price I paid, but again I have premium drink and internet plus an extra $400 in OBC, so it has gone up a decent amount since March.

Last April, when Celebrity was "Always Included", we started to get the sense that the pricing was going to change sooner rather than later and booked a 2023 summer med cruise. Soon after, they changed their pricing to cruise only and All included rates. We have not seen a better offer than what we have. The biggest savings for us has been booking the flights through Flights by Celebrity as we booked them almost as soon as they were released for about a savings of over $1500 pp than the current rate. We also bought two shore excursions for three people for about $625 that now would cost us over $900. Plan ahead as you can always rebook if prices drop. We would not have been able to afford to squeeze this cruise in if we had waited. 

Guest 4-2-N-8
6 minutes ago, newtocruiseinblue said:

Last April, when Celebrity was "Always Included", we started to get the sense that the pricing was going to change sooner rather than later and booked a 2023 summer med cruise. Soon after, they changed their pricing to cruise only and All included rates. We have not seen a better offer than what we have. The biggest savings for us has been booking the flights through Flights by Celebrity as we booked them almost as soon as they were released for about a savings of over $1500 pp than the current rate. We also bought two shore excursions for three people for about $625 that now would cost us over $900. Plan ahead as you can always rebook if prices drop. We would not have been able to afford to squeeze this cruise in if we had waited. 

Just checked current pricing for r/t flights for my Mediterranean cruise next summer. Price went from $11K (what I paid) to now almost $15K. This is total cost for two people. United/Polaris.

Definitely attributable in part to both demand and fuel costs.

53 minutes ago, 4-2-N-8 said:

Just checked current pricing for r/t flights for my Mediterranean cruise next summer. Price went from $11K (what I paid) to now almost $15K. This is total cost for two people. United/Polaris.

Absolutely! Glad we booked when we did! 

56 minutes ago, 4-2-N-8 said:

And demand is definitely going to go down at some of the prices I've seen lately! 

• Like 3

I have sailed on 6 cruises this year on Celebrity.  I look at future cruises and the prices are increasing and that is  understandable as everything is increasing In price.

My issue is on the quality of the food, and the liquor and wine selections have also decreased on a linear scale during those  6 cruises.  

It is bad enough that the prices are really increasing but don’t charge for something that was promised and don’t provide with the excuse of it being a supply problem.  The supply problem is an excuse for Celebrity not wanting to supply it to cut cost. 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched
  • Like 10

Prior to the cruising suspension due to covid, we could consistently find sky suites for $300/$325 per night each on a Solstice class ship and $250/$275 per night each on a Millenium class ship for Caribbean itineraries. These per night prices are nowhere to be found now. I am very curious to see how they compare for 2024/2025 when released on Dec. 12th. 

12 hours ago, slanik said:

We have several Celebrity cruises booked out to spring of 2024.  Every time I see a sale, I check the current prices for my current bookings.  They are always more expensive now.  Sometimes they are almost twice as much now.  When I look beyond spring of 2024, I see lots of cruises very high priced.  Has inflation got to the cruise industry too?  Will I still be able to afford Celebrity in the future?  I hope so.  Anyone else notice this?

Yes- pricing is getting insane.  We always (in recent years) have sailed in Sky Suites and above on Celebrity.  And Crown loft on Royal, however since pricing is getting insane, we are  considering cruising less or will seek other options in the future.

When we started cruising, we enjoyed  balcony cabins , so perhaps we will go back to basics. 

Edited by Cruise a holic
  • Like 2

Yes prices are up.   It does feel like it is more than an equivalent increase tied to inflation.  I think and this is just me thinking/wondering if some of the price increases are tied to not fully filling up cabins on sailings and tied to my sense that those currently sailing are willing to pay more to be back sailing right now.

It for sure is a tight situation for companies to operate in right now, especially since cruises are a high end want, not a high end need.  

We are looking forward to a couple of cruises for 2023.   We are not out to 2024 like yourself and would like to, but alas, we have lots of land based trips to do.

Create lots of great memories that will lessen the cost.  😉

Cheapest balcony for a 7n Eastern Carib in Jan/Feb '24 is over $4k.  That's about a 33% increase from recent prices, and 50% over our Jan '22 price.  

Princess is going to be getting our business for at least the next couple of years with X prices being the way they are.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, D C said:

Princess is going to be getting our business for at least the next couple of years with X prices being the way they are.

FYI - Just today Princess announced an increase in the prices of their bundled fares plus increases in gratuities, internet, and a few other things. So I’m not sure we can truly escape these increases no matter what line we cruise, unless we stop cruising. 

• Like 3