Cruiseline holding your passport

notalandlover

10 minutes ago, K32682 said:

I've never had a passport kept anywhere overnight. 

The challenge remains. Name me a country that today requires a passport be held by a hotel for the duration of your stay.   

As I mentioned 40 years ago it happened all the time but they stopped holding it overnight at hotels a number of years ago. I have been on a number of cruises where my passport was held until near the end of the cruise. If Turkey is on your itinerary they will collect your passport. In Italy they often take it for a few hours to collect information required by law.  They never keep it overnight. 

18 minutes ago, K32682 said:

The challenge remains. Name me a country that today requires a passport be held by a hotel for the duration of your stay.   

A truly stupid challenge. What you have or have not experienced is strictly limited by your travels

In any event, I do not believe anyone on this tread has ever made such a claim: regarding a hotel that today keeps a guest's passport for the duration of their stay.

You seem to want to defend your absolute right to never let your passport out of your possession. -- to the point of bringing up absurd questions like your most recent post.  

I think I am done with this matter.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

If Turkey is on your itinerary they will collect your passport. In Italy they often take it for a few hours to collect information required by law.  They never keep it overnight. 

They might - if you happened to check in late in the evening and wanted to get some sleep.

24 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

A truly stupid challenge. What you have or have not experienced is strictly limited by your travels

In any event, I do not believe anyone on this tread has ever made such a claim: regarding a hotel that today keeps a guest's passport for the duration of their stay.

You seem to want to defend your absolute right to never let your passport out of your possession. -- to the point of bringing up absurd questions like your most recent post.  

I think I am done with this matter.

The question is quite reasonable when some posters have claimed there are places where a passport is held by a hotel. I'm trying to learn which ones because it has never happened to me. 

Despite your dismissive attitude toward my travel experience you are unable to name a place where a passport is held for longer than a few hours and are now "done with this matter" leaving the less traveled among us hanging as to which country requires hotels to take the passports of their guests and hold them.  

I keep my passport in my possession when I believe it may be necessary which is most of the time I'm in a foreign country. Having it in my possession has been very helpful on several occasions. There are times such as checking into a hotel or on a cruise it may be out of my possession. At hotels it was never for more than an hour and on cruises the crew were more than ready to return it to me when I went ashore. 

2 hours ago, K32682 said:

Since we have only stayed in hotels in about half the countries, I have no clue about the 130 some for which we have no first hand experience.  But in China (and it might just be in chertain parts) we have had our Passports held overnight (so they can be inspected by the police).  It is the same in Vietnam.  But I would emphasize that rules are always changing so I have no clue as to the rules today!  Bottom line is as folks that love to travel, we are not surprised, or concerned, when a hotel says they need to hold Passports for a few hours or overnight.  

I find it more fascinating that some want to argue the point.  Those of us who say this happens are not making it up :).  Personally, I feel safest when our Passports are securely locked in a hotel or cruise ship safe.  But more than 50 years of international travel has taught us to "go with the program" and be happy with the joy of travel.  If they need our Passports...no big deal. If not, they will be securely locked up unless the laws (or circumstances) demand that I carry the documents.  When that happens, I am truly nervous because we have seen (firsthand) what happens when folks have their Passports (and other things) stolen.  As one who always has a "Plan B" we would deal with the situation but not be happy with losing 1 or more days while we scramble to get emergency replacements for missing Passports, credit cards. etc.  I do think that most posters who easily talk about replacing a lost or stolen Passport have no clue as to the related hassles and cost.

We have no hidden agenda or desire to prove a point.  Our goal is to continue to travel, independently, and do our own thing with a minimum of hassle.  When fellow travelers convince us that they have beter ideas we quickly work that into our own process.  When we are on cruises (especially more exotic itineraries) we maximize our opportunities to socialize and share our experiences with other travelers (especially those who do their own thing).   This ole guy can still learn new tricks 🙂

I even listen to the advice of John Bull, except when he refuses to accept the benefit of Guinness.

Hank

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I find it more fascinating that some want to argue the point.  Those of us who say this happens are not making it up :).  Personally, I feel safest when our Passports are securely locked in a hotel or cruise ship safe. 

That is our position as well. 

All this talk about being "aware of your surroundings", etc is, of course correct, but not having your passport with you, means that you have one less thing to worry about ! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, K32682 said:

It doesn't need to be a country, it could very well just be the hotel itself by it's own policy. Cruise lines often impose a stricter standard then that required by law, I can see hotels doing the same. 

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

That is our position as well. 

All this talk about being "aware of your surroundings", etc is, of course correct, but not having your passport with you, means that you have one less thing to worry about ! 

When I am out and about (anywhere) I don't like carrying things with me that I don't need to be carrying. The vast majority of the time that includes my passport- if I don't need to carry it with me then I don't want to. That's what it all simply boils down to. I'm not afraid of missing my ship (if on a cruise), nor am I afraid of losing my passport. 

Edited by sparks1093

5 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Before I retired,  a number of foreign hotels collected my passport and kept it for the duration of my stay. They Included properties in multiple cities in the PRC and Odessa in the Ukraine.

How long ago was this? I have visited both countries in the last ten years and my passport was not retained by the hotel. In both places my passport was photocopied. 

2 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

It doesn't need to be a country, it could very well just be the hotel itself by it's own policy. Cruise lines often impose a stricter standard then that required by law, I can see hotels doing the same. 

Cruise ships and hotels are more than welcome to keep my passport providing it is made available to me on request. 

Edited by K32682

2 hours ago, K32682 said:

Cruise ships and hotels are more than welcome to keep my passport providing it is made available to me on request. 

They might. I never asked. 

I have only carried my passport off the ship at two ports. Russia since Russia requires carrying it. That should tell you something about Russia.  Too bad for the two people on a ships tour that were robbed. Ugh. For the White Pass railway since the train crossed into Canada. They did not ask to see it though. Many of my cruises I was going to beach. I know there are  people on CC who take their passport to the beach, snorkeling  or on Catamarans. Really odd........but if it make you feel secure to always have it on your person go for it. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

They might. I never asked. 

I have only carried my passport off the ship at two ports. Russia since Russia requires carrying it. That should tell you something about Russia.  Too bad for the two people on a ships tour that were robbed. Ugh. For the White Pass railway since the train crossed into Canada. They did not ask to see it though. Many of my cruises I was going to beach. I know there are  people on CC who take their passport to the beach, snorkeling  or on Catamarans. Really odd........but if it make you feel secure to always have it on your person go for it. 

We also carried our passports off for Russia as required and that same railroad, though we were asked to show them.

IIRC, our passports were collected for an Eastern Mediterranean cruise by HAL, but there was one port we were advised to get them back (and later return them). It might have been Croatia, but I am not sure.

On 1/3/2023 at 4:27 PM, K32682 said:

....Can anyone point to a country where it is currently required that a passport remain with the hotel staff for your entire stay?...  

In the 1970s, hotels in Switzerland, France, and Italy routinely kept the passports overnight. Currently, I haven't had that happen.

9 hours ago, sullaRaffaello said:

In the 1970s, hotels in Switzerland, France, and Italy routinely kept the passports overnight. Currently, I haven't had that happen.

I was told (by a trusted, well traveled high school teacher) the main reason for the practice was to ensure that the customer paid the bill at the end of the stay. He may have been wrong, but I never had a reason to doubt him. Nowadays most customers probably pay with a credit card so that isn't the concern that it used to be. I'm not even sure that hotels communicate with the immigration authorities, or that the immigration authorities in most countries even care, since the traveler was cleared upon entry into the country. The hotel keeps a copy of your passport/ID on file in case there is a need (similar to what happens in the states, I have to present an ID at check in which they take a copy of).

On 1/4/2023 at 12:34 AM, Hlitner said:

Since we have only stayed in hotels in about half the countries, I have no clue about the 130 some for which we have no first hand experience.  But in China (and it might just be in chertain parts) we have had our Passports held overnight (so they can be inspected by the police).  It is the same in Vietnam.  But I would emphasize that rules are always changing so I have no clue as to the rules today!  Bottom line is as folks that love to travel, we are not surprised, or concerned, when a hotel says they need to hold Passports for a few hours or overnight.  

Just for the record, I was in Vietnam last month and none of our hotels held onto our passports. 

I think that this is something that used to happen at times, and now rarely, if ever. The problem on this topic is dismissing someone who hasn't experienced it as untraveled. I suspect alot of this is rumors based on old practices. Two countries I have been two recently have been listed as "holding your passport" (Peru and Vietnam); and we did not experience that in either. 

• Like 1

On 1/4/2023 at 4:14 PM, Charles4515 said:

I know there are  people on CC who take their passport to the beach, snorkeling  or on Catamarans. Really odd........but if it make you feel secure to always have it on your person go for it. 

Some people are so emphatic about this that I wonder if they shower with their passports clenched between their teeth! 😁

Edited by lisiamc
  • Haha 2

On 1/5/2023 at 3:30 PM, ldubs said:

All I know is in Day of The Jackal, the Jackal hooked up with Madame Montpellier at the hotel to avoid having to show his passport.   

As I recall, the Jackal did not even meet Madame Montpellier until after dinner - a number of hours after he would have checked in - and have had to have shown his passport.

Edited by navybankerteacher
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

As I recall, the Jackal did not even meet Madame Montpellier until after dinner - a number of hours after he would have checked in - and have had to have shown his passport.

Aw, but was that  part of his insidious plan!  Did he actually ever check in before seducing Madame Montpellier?  I honestly can't remember.  It is a good movie (not so much the remake).  I want to watch it again if I can find it.   

19 hours ago, ldubs said:

It is a good movie (not so much the remake).  I want to watch it again if I can find it.

While I enjoyed both movies (I agree that the 1st was better than the second) and the 1st still comes on TCM from time to time. The book was FANTASTIC !! From the first page to the last the reader felt that he was a 'silent witness' standing beside the jackal. I didn't know if they still held passports overseas OR if it was a 'European' thingee at that time and slowly disappeared.

Mac

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ldubs said:

Aw, but was that  part of his insidious plan!  Did he actually ever check in before seducing Madame Montpellier?  I honestly can't remember.  It is a good movie (not so much the remake).  I want to watch it again if I can find it.   

Yes he did - and the flics were catching up with him because they had his then-current name.  If you recall, they descended on the place shortly after he checked out — which is why that was the last hotel he checked in at.  His next stop was at her house, and then the apartment of the man he picked up at the Turkish bath in Paris.

And, I agree: that film with Edward Fox made for  prime watching.  I never heard of a remake — which to my recollection rarely matches the original.

Edited by navybankerteacher
  • Like 1