Any Jewel of the Seas cruisers?

Reijo

We have recently booked an 8 night Jewel cruise to celebrate our 50th anniversary.  It just happened to be the only ship over our anniversary that would get us home by Easter.  We have been on big ships as well as a number of smaller ones but this is a first on Jewel.  Has anyone sailed on her recently that can tell us how things are on board?

16 minutes ago, Reijo said:

Has anyone sailed on her recently that can tell us how things are on board?

The main RCI page here at CC has a drop down with the ships listed - choose Jewel on that to see the threads related to her. 

• Thanks 1

We did a B2B in December.  The ship was in good shape, food was some of the best we have had since we resumed cruising in 2021.  Crew was amazing but overworked, MDR waiters always seemed to be running.  No waiters in some of the bar area, Vintages never had a waiter so everyone just ordered at the bar.  I felt sorry for the one bartender, whenever he a a moment when he was not mixing or ringing up a drink, he would go outvand try to clear tables.

Although we thought the entertainment was not the best, we still enjoyed our cruise and are going again in March!

Sherri🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Reijo said:

We have recently booked an 8 night Jewel cruise to celebrate our 50th anniversary.  It just happened to be the only ship over our anniversary that would get us home by Easter.  We have been on big ships as well as a number of smaller ones but this is a first on Jewel.  Has anyone sailed on her recently that can tell us how things are on board?

We did a b2b in Nov.  Love the ship, but the food was the worst we've ever had.  Service was great though.  We're going on her again in Oct/Nov for b2b Canada/NE cruises (20 nights total).  Love the class and it was one of the cleanest ships we have ever been on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, queeniemi said:

Does anyone know if the windjammer has a bar? 

No it doesn't...however at times there was one set up near the drink station on our Jewel & Serenade cruises this past year.

7 hours ago, Reijo said:

Congrats!... Did B5B before-over-after Easter from March-May 2022. Well run, Cleanest Ship been on in couple Decades. Many like the larger busy Ships, not me, average 45nites yr on this Class last decade. Not say it's Boring, just not  crowded. Most Ships been back to running over 100%, Cruises on this Class I've only ever experienced 1750-2050 Passengers, with few Family/Kids. This even Pre-CV. Enjoy!

• Thanks 1

Very good last October, 12 nts, very little to complain about. Giovanni's was just okay, cooking techniques were off. Otherwise, food was very good. Trivia/games host was unbearable. Did her best I'm sure but not proficient. Shows varied but musicians were amazing. Would not hesitate to book again.

Edited by goldfish65
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, queeniemi said:

Does anyone know if the windjammer has a bar? 

Yes, head left as you walk in.   But the bar is drink orders only, no bar stools.   We have ordered wine and beer to have with lunch inside or bring outside.  

Currently on Jewel right now.   This is our last day of our B2B, and are docked up in PC right now waiting to disembark.   Will be back on board again for another B2B in 5 weeks.   

Basically enjoyed our cruise, but preferred the food and service on Serenade B2B out of Tampa last month.  Plus this ship is showing it's age.  Carpet needs replaced in cabins and common areas.  

Was first experience for the new MDR menus, as they launched the new program during this six night of our 2nd leg.  Interesting with hits and misses, but fun to try new things.  

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Ashland said:

No it doesn't...however at times there was one set up near the drink station on our Jewel & Serenade cruises this past year.

The bar is on the left going into the Windjammer, I would go there in the mornings for Mimosas.

1 hour ago, island lady said:

Currently on Jewel right now.   This is our last day of our B2B, and are docked up in PC right now waiting to disembark.   Will be back on board again for another B2B in 5 weeks.   

Basically enjoyed our cruise, but preferred the food and service on Serenade B2B out of Tampa last month.  Plus this ship is showing it's age.  Carpet needs replaced in cabins and common areas.  

Was first experience for the new MDR menus, as they launched the new program during this six night of our 2nd leg.  Interesting with hits and misses, but fun to try new things.  

I think the cabins vary.  Our cabin looked great and the carpet looked new (JS on deck 10).

• Thanks 1

The ship is on relatively good shape except for the couches or loveseats in the cabins.  Many have frayed arms.  We recently sailed Jewel in  December and January  (4 cruises, all in different cabins)  and in every case the couches/loveseats were  torn or frayed 

m

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, BND said:

I think the cabins vary.  Our cabin looked great and the carpet looked new (JS on deck 10).

We were also JS on deck 10.   It was very obvious the carpet was actually a totally different shade/color when you looked under the bed (less wear and traffic).  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, hannibal54 said:

The bar is on the left going into the Windjammer, I would go there in the mornings for Mimosas.

The only thing I did not like was the plastic wine glasses. 😞  Which did not make much sense since the beer was served in the bottle....a glass bottle.  

Edited by island lady

Just got off last week.  It's an old ship, but still a nice cruise.  Great crew.

We did MTD which was hectic, but they did their best. Cruise director (Cruisin' Susan?) was great.  Don't miss the Parade of Nations on the last sea day, 64 countries represented in the crew and they had a lot of fun with it.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2023 at 7:31 PM, sjb317 said:

We did a B2B in December.  The ship was in good shape, food was some of the best we have had since we resumed cruising in 2021.  Crew was amazing but overworked, MDR waiters always seemed to be running.  No waiters in some of the bar area, Vintages never had a waiter so everyone just ordered at the bar.  I felt sorry for the one bartender, whenever he a a moment when he was not mixing or ringing up a drink, he would go outvand try to clear tables.

Although we thought the entertainment was not the best, we still enjoyed our cruise and are going again in March!

Sherri🙂

Thanks so much, Sherri.  We'll be going in March as well.....3/25.  Appreciate your feedback.

On 1/20/2023 at 8:28 AM, cruisegirl1 said:

The ship is on relatively good shape except for the couches or loveseats in the cabins.  Many have frayed arms.  We recently sailed Jewel in  December and January  (4 cruises, all in different cabins)  and in every case the couches/loveseats were  torn or frayed 

m

We are in 9578 on the Starboard hump and the cabin is in excellent condition. The couch has no wear or tear! She is one of our favorite ships.

• Like 2

On 1/20/2023 at 5:52 AM, island lady said:

Are you saying food, service and ship condition are better on Serenade?  I just read a post saying that Serenade is in need of a refurbisment.  

12 hours ago, mafig said:

Are you saying food, service and ship condition are better on Serenade?  I just read a post saying that Serenade is in need of a refurbisment.  

Yes, the little Serenade could use some updating...and should really be going in for dry dock, but I think that was cancelled.  Shame since we will be doing two different 62 night stints on board end of the year and next year.  Other than the ship itself, we thought the food and service on Serenade was better than Jewel.  But of course...that is all a personal observation.  

On Voyager now, way better on all accounts than Jewel.  Sigh.  But that being said, we are back on Jewel again for another B2B end of February.  If things have not improved, won't book with her again.  

14 hours ago, mafig said:

We were on Serenade in November 2021.  In our opinion, the ship appeared really rundown.  The Solarium was in bad shape, lots of rust and in dire need of some paint.  Cracked windows in the dining room. Frayed carpeting in our cabin and torn  balcony drapes.  My husband said he couldn’t imagine doing a long cruise on Serenade.  I think she is going into dry dock before her upcoming big cruise as she really needs it.

We thought Jewel was much better.

Sherri🙂