Was this cheap for just myself to cruise?

crusingrightnow

3 hours ago, crusingrightnow said:

$484 total -  7 day cruise!

My initial review is "not bad".  But what does it include?  Port taxes and fees?  "Mandatory" gratuities?  Drink package?  Bundle of extras?  Internet access?  Specialty dining?  Airfare?  Shuttle to/from the port?  Are you a gambler?  And what cruise lineis this?  The more that's included, the more impressed I'll be.

5 hours ago, crusingrightnow said:

$484 total -  7 day cruise!

That is a low price but it is VERY dependent on what is included. Are you sailing in a balcony for that amount? 

In the old days, we thought anything under $100/pp/day was a pretty good deal. So yeah, that is bargain price for a 7 day cruise, IMO.  For a solo cruiser, that seems like a terrific deal.  

Since COVID, everything seems topsy turvy.  Time will tell if our old $100/day test is still reasonable.   

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

Are you sailing in a balcony for that amount? 

I forgot about cabin location/type.  There's a big difference between an interior guarantee and a "deluxe" verandah (OP, I very much doubt you got a suite for what you were charged unless you're a known gambler).

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

In the old days, we thought anything under $100/pp/day was a pretty good deal. So yeah, that is bargain price for a 7 day cruise, IMO.  For a solo cruiser, that seems like a terrific deal.  

Under $70 a day for a single is not just a “terrific deal” — it is a highly unlikely deal — without some special circumstance.

48 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Under $70 a day for a single is not just a “terrific deal” — it is a highly unlikely deal — without some special circumstance.

Maybe taxes or OP missed the solo supplement.  IDK.  

It happens over here as well. I have a 7 night cruise on P&O Iona and decided on an inside as balconies have limited use IMO in the North Sea in February. Received a free upgrade to an Ocean view yesterday and those cabins are larger than a standard balcony. Cost £502 plus £150 OBC including shareholder benefit for which I have already had more OBC than the cost of the shares. I will spend the OBC on speciality restaurants and drinks.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2023 at 3:46 AM, Honolulu Blue said:

My initial review is "not bad".  But what does it include?  Port taxes and fees?  "Mandatory" gratuities?  Drink package?  Bundle of extras?  Internet access?  Specialty dining?  Airfare?  Shuttle to/from the port?  Are you a gambler?  And what cruise lineis this?  The more that's included, the more impressed I'll be.

Even if none of those things are included, it is an excellent fare for a solo 7 day cruise.  

On 2/3/2023 at 12:06 PM, Toofarfromthesea said:

Yes it is, objectively cheap.  Whether it is good value is a whole different question.

19 hours ago, crzndeb said:

Since your post left out details, it’s hard to say. You didn’t say what ship or itinerary. On paper it’s a good price, but as a solo traveler, cheap doesn’t equate to good.

I don't understand your points about this potentially not being a good value?   Is it because you might not like inside cabins, the cruise line, or itinerary?  Are those the things you are thinking?   

7 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I don't understand your points about this potentially not being a good value?   Is it because you might not like inside cabins, the cruise line, or itinerary?  Are those the things you are thinking?   

I usually book inside cabins, but it would depend on cruise line and itinerary. For some just starting out cruising, and not really caring about ship or itinerary, it’s a great value. Lots of deals out there on old ships to the Bahamas and Caribbean. 

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

If you were in a badly maintained ship, with a dirty cabin, on an itinerary which only had a tender call at Freeport and the tenders were cancelled due to heavy weather, and the food was poorly prepared low quality sloppily  served swill - it might be said that you would not have received “good value” even you had only paid $25 for the week.

Low price does not automatically mean good value.  

• Like 2