small swiss army knife

Scotico

12 minutes ago, Scotico said:

I have a very small swiss army knife on my keys I take anywhere.  Will security give me problems at the port?  I use the scissors on it to cut the tie wraps securing the zippers on my luggage.

I no longer use TSA approved locks as they kept on disappearing. I know use zip ties. I bought heavy duty finger/toe nail clippers I carry in my carry on. No issues with TSA or the cruise line security. It doesn't have a nail file. Cuts the zip ties with no problem.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, davekathy said:

I no longer use TSA approved locks as they kept on disappearing. I know use zip ties. I bought heavy duty finger/toe nail clippers I carry in my carry on. No issues with TSA or the cruise line security. It doesn't have a nail file. Cuts the zip ties with no problem.  

Guess I will be bringing my nail clippers instead.

We always use zip ties on our luggage. May not be that secure but we've had our luggage damaged by TSA who clipped our pull-tabs even though we had a TSA approved lock. 

I always take my little swiss army knife through security. All my metallic items go into a bag and go through the scanner. Never a problem. If you wanted a long knife it would be easy enough to get from the dining room or windjammer.

I also take a small multi-tool and place it in my checked luggage. It has never been removed from the luggage. It has a combo pliers/wire cutter and I it's never been confiscated. I use it to cut the zip ties. 

No problems on numerous cruises. 

I'm another one of those people that always carries a small pocketknife. When we fly, I put it in my checked luggage. When we cruise, I give it to my wife and she puts it in her purse. With all the other "stuff" she has in her purse, security has never noticed (or cared about) my tiny pocketknife.

1 hour ago, Jingerwoppy said:

I also take a small multi-tool and place it in my checked luggage. It has never been removed from the luggage. It has a combo pliers/wire cutter and I it's never been confiscated. I use it to cut the zip ties. 

If it's in the checked luggage, how do you cut the zip ties to get to it?

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

3 hours ago, Scotico said:

I have a very small swiss army knife on my keys I take anywhere.  Will security give me problems at the port?

My first Royal cruise I had a small pocket knife. It was confiscated by security pre check in. When I attempted to board the ship, an alarm went off which I assume had to be associated with finding of the knife as never since has an alarm sounded upon boarding. I was told I could collect the item disembarking. Since I had found the pocket knife years earlier in the street, I did not bother claiming it.

I've always brought a full sized SAK and a Leatherman mutltool on cruises. However I put them in my checked luggage. They've never been found.   However, I started carrying a pair of EMT shears through security on both planes and ships when I started diving a few years ago. Much cheaper and works better than a dive knife and has never failed to get through security

I use zip ties and have a pair of electrical side cutters on the side pocket of my checked bag to cut them off when I get to my destination.  Never had an issue.  In fact, in Mexico, they put tie wraps on your luggage if it is not locked.

I don't know about a swiss knife, but I have taken small lockbacks on most of my cruises with no problems.  I have it in my shaving kit.  One time a lady saw it on the x-ray and was told to let it go because it was small.  I don't, however, take it off of the ship when in a port of call.

I have a small swiss army knife (pen knife) with a nail filler and small scissors.  I put it in my checked bag on the airline.  When I boarded the ship, it was confiscated, and I had to pick it up at the end of the cruise with all the other "weapons" they confiscated.  

• Haha 1

My husband was called to the naughty room because he had his Leatherman in his checked luggage.  He told them to just take it, we'd already used it on the way to the ship to fix broken wheels on my luggage.  He didn't want to bother collecting it after the cruise. You never know.......