AC ?

Cruisegirl6

Question, I have asthma and it is worse at night when in lying down position. How cool can the room get, and does the room get that cool or do you feel the room is actually warmer than what the thermostat reads? Should I bring a fan? Lastly, when I leave the room, does the ac either shut off (with no movement in the room) and or does it go up to a higher temperature when nobody is in the room?

2 minutes ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

Question, I have asthma and it is worse at night when in lying down position. How cool can the room get, and does the room get that cool or do you feel the room is actually warmer than what the thermostat reads? Should I bring a fan? Lastly, when I leave the room, does the ac either shut off (with no movement in the room) and or does it go up to a higher temperature when nobody is in the room?

You already asked this same question.  We have had our cabin down to 10C/50F.  Without opening the veranda door we can get it to 17C/65F by turning the thermostat down before dinner.

I have had cabins that shut off without a card in the thermostat.   Really simple solution - get another Seapass and leave it in the switch.

8 minutes ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

Which ship? The way the air-conditioning works varies.

2 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

You already asked this same question.  We have had our cabin down to 10C/50F.  Without opening the veranda door we can get it to 17C/65F by turning the thermostat down before dinner.

I have had cabins that shut off without a card in the thermostat.   Really simple solution - get another Seapass and leave it in the switch.

Hello, I did ask about the temperature but only two people answered and I didn't ask what type of cabin they had and I forgot to ask whether the system shuts off with no movement in the cabin, thank you for answering this question.  Instead of getting another seapass, would a credit card or any other type of card that size do the trick?  Or does it have to be the sea pass card?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

have had cabins that shut off without a card in the thermostat.   Really simple solution - get another Seapass and leave it in the switch.

I have saved hotel door cards and keep a few in my carry bag. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

any other type of card that size do the trick?  

Any type of card works. As I mentioned I save hotel door cards for that purpose. Been doing it for years because hotel rooms in Europe commonly use the card in the slot. Another reason to have other cards is I would  forget to take the sea pass card with me and be locked out LOL. Hope they never switch to what I have at home which is motion sensors. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 2

Our last two cruises the lowest we could set the room temp was 66 degrees.  We always bring a fan, primarily to help with noise but also to help keep things feeling a bit cooler.  We never worried about it being on when we left the room because it seemed to cool down quickly any time we needed it to.  

• Like 1

I've never encountered a cruise ship cabin uses the key card to operate HVAC systems like in European hotels.   

That aside, and for whatever it is worth, we have yet to experience a problem keeping any cabin cool at night.  If anything, they stay too cool until we get the thermostat set just right.  Hopefully you will have the same experience.   

29 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I've never encountered a cruise ship cabin uses the key card to operate HVAC systems like in European hotels.   

That aside, and for whatever it is worth, we have yet to experience a problem keeping any cabin cool at night.  If anything, they stay too cool until we get the thermostat set just right.  Hopefully you will have the same experience.   

I have been on a few ships that have it. I don’t recall any Celebrity ships but I have not been on Edge class. I think the newest RC and NCL ships had them. Been on so many ships it blends together. 

Never had a problem keeping a cabin cool either. Usually too cold at the beginning. I think the cabin attendants like it that way.

Edited by Charles4515
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

You feel comfortable with the cabin temperature at 50 degrees? 

32 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

You feel comfortable with the cabin temperature at 50 degrees? 

Went to dinner and show about 6:30.  Turned thermostat all the way down.  Was about 45F outside.  Was about 50F inside when we got to the cabin.  AC in that cabin on Summit tended to follow the temp outside.  We would both be happy at 62-65.  A blanket is great.  Love windows open at night when possible and outside temps in 40s  or 50s.

Have never seem an HVAC system that shut off is there was no motion.  Would seem that would shut it off at night after people went to sleep.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Went to dinner and show about 6:30.  Turned thermostat all the way down.  Was about 45F outside.  Was about 50F inside when we got to the cabin.  AC in that cabin on Summit tended to follow the temp outside.  We would both be happy at 62-65.  A blanket is great.  Love windows open at night when possible and outside temps in 40s  or 50s.

Have never seem an HVAC system that shut off is there was no motion.  Would seem that would shut it off at night after people went to sleep.

At home I have a smart thermostat that can be set at different temperatures for home, away and sleep. It has motion detectors. Energy savings are pretty good. They don’t do smart thermostats on any cruise ships that I know about. 

I don’t leave the widows open because it will run up my energy bills and strain the HVAC. Leaving the windows open will also let dust and pollen in. 

Edited by Charles4515

9 hours ago, CruiseCrew123 said:

If you are Beyond it doesn’t need a key card - also found that the room was never that cool even when set to its coldest . Lots of nights throwing the duvet off 😆 

What stateroom did you have ugh.

29 minutes ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

What stateroom did you have ugh.

Cruisegirl6,

when you have a moment, please email me at mahdnc at yahoo dot com

David

• Like 1

- The A/C never shuts off on any Celebrity ship so no need for an extra card.

- I agree to contact Special Needs department to get a fan.

- How cool the room gets depends on the ship, sometimes the location on the ship, and the outside temperature.  On some of the M class ships in particular in warm climates the room temperature did not always get very cool.  If you book an AQ on deck 11 on M class in particular the cabins will be warm in warm areas as there is no overhang.

- If you are in a cabin that is not cooling enough, ask for maintenance to come and check the A/C vent.  sometimes they are not all the way open.  We have had to do this a few times.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

I've never seen one shut off on Celebrity.  I did have one like that once at an all-inclusive in Dominican Republic of all places.  The room was sweltering when we were out for the day, and we had to get up a couple times at night to keep it running.  The room smelled so bad of mold/musk because of it, that I had to wash our clothes 3x when we got home!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

Not sure if your questions have been answered but, for what it's worth, here's my two cents.

I do not have asthma but sleep better in a cool room with a fan moving the air about. Our room on the Silhouette last year offered a basic thermostat dial that could be rotated from "the most red" (heat) setting to "the most blue" (cool) setting. We usually kept the thermostat at "most blue" but the A/C system didn't blow the air around at all; even placing my hand at the ceiling vent, I could barely feel air movement. Setting the thermostat did not involve our Sea Pass card in any way.

For us, the thermostat also stayed at whatever setting we left it, i.e., there's nothing "smart" or automatic about it. The cleaning staff might change it, but that wasn't our experience and it definitely wasn't affected by our presence in the room.

If you can obtain a fan, then I encourage you to do so if it helps you sleep!

Hope this helps,

cjr

• Like 1

I've often had the opposite and the room was too cold and even set on high wouldn't warm up. 

It is an easy fix if room is too hot or cold.  Just call down and have them send up engineering.   They can adjust something outside your cabin and fix.

One time our bedroom  was down well below 60.   Ended up the thermostat had tripped a fuse and was blowing air conditioning only.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I've often had the opposite and the room was too cold and even set on high wouldn't warm up. 

It is an easy fix if room is too hot or cold.  Just call down and have them send up engineering.   They can adjust something outside your cabin and fix.

One time our bedroom  was down well below 60.   Ended up the thermostat had tripped a fuse and was blowing air conditioning only.

Same here. Our cabin thermostats are generally set at the midpoint or slightly to the Red/right/warmer setting. 

Don't remember the X ship, but some years ago our stateroom was far aft.  It wan't cool enough and we spoke to the steward.  He changed some settings under his control and the room was much cooler.

Moral of the story:  Speak to the steward if you have a temperature issue.  They can help with this issue.

• Like 1