Who packs the luggage in your household?

Sigyn

I was discussing this recently with a friend, and it made me wonder. Who packs the luggage in your household? Does everyone do their own, or is there one person who packs for everyone? I am the packer in our family. I organize and pack everyone's clothes and accessories. I can't trust them to do it right. The few times I have, my husband or kids have forgotten essentials. Or overpacked. 

We've only ever packed a third large suitcase when going on a cruise that needs special "equipment". We will each pack our own individual carry-ons, and I'll pack the third bag. We'll discuss what we will pack in all three bags.

If we're traveling domestically, it's carry-on only. We no longer have children to pack for.

3 hours ago, njsmom said:

Who packs the luggage in your household?

We each organize what we're taking, but my husband does the actual packing as he's much better at "playing tetris" with all that stuff.

Since most of our trips are long ones, we tend to take 2 suitcases and cross pack them.  That way, if one goes astray (only happened once) we both still have clothes to wear.

Now, that's when we have to fly somewhere.  Recently most of our trips are in our RV which has a basic wardrobe already in it for us.  We bring just whatever extras we want (in plastic bags to be put away once in the RV).

Items are set in the guest room, then culled down from want to need.  Goal is always carry on only (we fly) so we are practiced at putting it together.  Then we work together packing though I am the one that puts the puzzle together.  Just checked in for next trip - 11 night TA, inter Europe flight, 6 day land then river cruise.  Now to see if carry on only will work.

I tend to pack at least a few days in advance. My DH packs the night before. We do our own packing  .. and lugging! I use compression cubes and the “roll” method and even bought some for him, but he doesn’t see the need. 🤷🏼‍♀️

5 hours ago, njsmom said:

I was discussing this recently with a friend, and it made me wonder. Who packs the luggage in your household? Does everyone do their own, or is there one person who packs for everyone? I am the packer in our family. I organize and pack everyone's clothes and accessories. I can't trust them to do it right. The few times I have, my husband or kids have forgotten essentials. Or overpacked. 

Mrs.66 has always packed our suitcases.

• Like 1

For cruising solo or business travel solo, can travel for 7-10 days with a carry-on and a small back pack. (Lots of clean socks and underwear. Durable mix and match clothes). I’m usually packed 2 days before departure. I’ve just learned I often wear the same thing multiple times and used to hate going home with half my clothes un-worn. T’s and swimsuits easily washed and rung out in the shower. 

Traveling with the Missus is a whole other ballgame. She packs very last minute. I do the usual carry-on and backpack. Then she fills her suitcase AND mine. Shoes of every description. A makeup bag the size of microwave. Entire outfits per day rather than mix and match. <sigh> Love is truly blind.

My toilet bag consists of pills, deodorant, hair brush, toothbrush, toothpaste, cologne. I use the cabin’s shower gel from head to toe. The Missus’ toiletries and assorted potions would fill the trunk of a small car.

Edited by HardToPort

We pack our own, although I do have specific packing lists depending on length of trip and what part of the world we're visiting just so we don't forget things like rain coats or base layers. 

And in this household, if you forget something, it's your problem. Not a lot of handholding and if he's wearing something casual and I'm dressed up, it doesn't ruin the trip. 😉

• Like 4

As the OP, I should say, one of the reasons I like to pick everyone's clothes is because I used to be a fashion editor. I'm extremely picky about what my family wears. It's a hard habit to break. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, njsmom said:

As the OP, I should say, one of the reasons I like to pick everyone's clothes is because I used to be a fashion editor. I'm extremely picky about what my family wears. It's a hard habit to break. 

My brother’s family has two sides. One likes to make sure that everyone has coordinated outfits. For the pictures you know. The other side wants to kill the first side 🙂. So much fun (for me, not for my brother) traveling with the gang. 

• Haha 2

We tend to pack together, and we cross-pack a little, so that one outfit, a pair or two of underwear, and an extra sweater (or equivalent) is in each other's suitcase.  That way, if one person's suitcase gets lost in transit, that person will have the things in their carry-on, plus an extra outfit and a sweater (or functional equivalent) to tide them over.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wcook said:

My brother’s family has two sides. One likes to make sure that everyone has coordinated outfits. For the pictures you know. The other side wants to kill the first side 🙂. So much fun (for me, not for my brother) traveling with the gang. 

It all works out for my family. My teenage son is clothing obsessed, so I know his style and since he has ADHD, it's good that I am there to make sure all the right things get packed. I do consult with him before I pack his stuff. And my husband is relieved that I'm packing his clothes so that a) he doesn't have to bother and b) he has the right clothes to wear. He just packs his own toiletry kit. One of the reasons I fell for my husband in the first place was he was subscribing to GQ magazine when I first started dating him. He said he got the subscription when he first divorced, because he knew that it would help him get clothing tips to land the kind of woman he wanted to date. I mean, a man after my own heart... 🙂

• Like 3

14 hours ago, njsmom said:

LOL - well, at least you are aware of why you're doing it.

I'm very active on Instagram and do post some of what I wear but I don't post any photos of him so don't care as long as he's clean, presentable and most importantly, enjoying his holiday.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1