Travel from Los Angeles to London

kaiiak

Going on a British Isles cruise in 2024. How far in advance do you travel in order to get somewhat acclimated to time zone and make it safely to board ship? Coming from Los Angeles I know we will lose some time traveling. If the ship embarks on a Thursday, would it be best to travel on Tuesday night? Or earlier like Monday? Experience? It is far in the future, but trying to plan for how many days we will be taking off work and how long we can extend travel after the cruise etc.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, DUCHESSRN said:

I promise it depends on your age !!!! 

One direct flight from LAX at 73 takes me around 4 days ....25 years ago I just blew through it .

I find coming back worse .

Hmm we are in our early 50's, but I tend to get tired easily!!

I would plan on spending 3 nights in England. That means arrival UK Monday. Monday you will sleep most of the day. We flew from the east coast, 1st class where we could sleep. We still arrived very tired. If you arrive Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday you will be able to tour around some. Wednesday is a buffer day. You could book for arrival Tuesday, but there is little buffer in case of delays.

When we flew overnight to Heathrow from the east coast we booked a private car service to take us directly to Southampton from the airport. Believe it is around a 90 minute drive. Southampton is a nice city. We did not stop in London as we had been there before. If you want to visit London suggest you plan on Monday arrival to provide a little time to see many of the highlights.  

• Like 1

I don't sleep on planes so I'm tired that afternoon but fine after a nap. Yes I take a short nap after any flight over 10 hrs. (Coming from SF)

That said I'm not flying across the pond without spending some time there too .... so much to see

• Like 2

I agree with the posters here. We often take the direct flight from LAX to LHR for a cruise. While we start in Tucson and could fly through a more eastern city, we like the direct LAX flight as it's longer and we sleep more!

We insist on business class due to the lay flat seats. EZair will get you a good deal. Not only that, you'll get more and heavier bags allowed at no extra charge.

We too fly in so we get three to four nights in England before embarkation. And yes, pre-book a private car service if you're heading to Southampton. Nothing like a driver meeting you outside of baggage claim with your name on a sign board who then helps you schlep your luggage to the waiting car. Be sure to let the service know you're cruising so they'll book a large enough vehicle for you.

As said earlier, three to four nights works for us to help get over the jet lag. After a day we're ready to explore and get sundries we don't pack because they're large and heavy (Listerine comes to mind here). In Southampton we mostly walk (but have been known to go too far outbound and so we either take a cab or an Uber back to the hotel). It's a nice little town with plenty of shops, restaurants and pubs plus some museums and the ancient city walls still exist which are kind of cool.

All this makes sure when we do get on the ship, we're ready to go with very little residual jet lag!

• Like 2

For me, the jetlag going from California to Europe isn't so bad.  I call it an early night the first night I arrive and feel recharged the next morning.  I totally agree with the posters above that you should consider spending some extra time to see the UK sights if you haven't done so in the past.  

Would definitely consider taking a few extra days off work when you get home.  For me, that's when the real jetlag hits because the vacation excitement keeping your energy up is no longer there.

Southampton is around 75 miles from central London, so plan accordingly. 

Crossing my fingers that the UK will be in better condition in 2024.  Too many strikes going on right now.

• Like 1

When heading to Europe I try to keep to the local time schedule and not sleep the day away. I fight to keep busy and stay awake , go to bed at regular bedtime and then sleep in late the next morning if need be. I always find that helps me more than going straight to sleep

• Like 3

You didn't say if the first few days on board ship are sea days or not.   That makes a difference to us.   You can catich up on your sleep on board.   Also sounds like you might be limited on time becuase you still work.   You can always sightsee after the cruise  when you are feeling better.

We would fly so we arrive one day ahead.  That's it for us.  We would get a car service to Southampton and check in.   Nice place to walk around before crashing.   Right next to the port. Almost walking distance.   For a cheap thrill they have a big mall in walking distance that you can pickup some food that will not break the bank.

I would try and get some International Premium Economy seats.    Designed like the Domestic first class seats of old.   Nice way to travel and not crunched up.  Im tall and  I don't like cruhched up.  And absolutely get  Direct flights.  

At the end of the day only you know how you might feel.  We have all done it.   Dragging the first few days but hey it's vacation.  You can sleep when you get home.

All the suggestions above are great also.

1 hour ago, skynight said:

I would plan on spending 3 nights in England. That means arrival UK Monday. Monday you will sleep most of the day. We flew from the east coast, 1st class where we could sleep. We still arrived very tired. If you arrive Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday you will be able to tour around some. Wednesday is a buffer day. You could book for arrival Tuesday, but there is little buffer in case of delays.

When we flew overnight to Heathrow from the east coast we booked a private car service to take us directly to Southampton from the airport. Believe it is around a 90 minute drive. Southampton is a nice city. We did not stop in London as we had been there before. If you want to visit London suggest you plan on Monday arrival to provide a little time to see many of the highlights.  

This sounds like the best plan to me.  We go to Europe every year and it is best to give yourself a couple days extra time because you can never know what could go wrong...ie, weather, strikes, delays..etc.

Also, starting in 2024 the UK will require US visitors and most others to have a digital-travel authorization (ETA) and who knows how this will impact entry times into the country at the airport.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, beg3yrs said:

We often take the direct flight from LAX to LHR for a cruise. While we start in Tucson and could fly through a more eastern city...

Have you checked the flights nonstop flights from Phoenix to London?  Flights are offered on British and American.

Edited by damiross

I read about how Rick Steves fights jet lag and it works for both of us. We are 77 and 78 if that matters. He recommends staying up and going outside, hopefully in the sun so when you do go to bed you sleep well and the next day feel well rested. It works well when going east (to Europe) but not as well when going west (home from Europe or to Australia). We are going to London this July and have our plans to stay up. Flying in business so that helps also.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, damiross said:

Have you checked the flights nonstop flights from Phoenix to London?  Flights are offered on British and American.

Yes of course. Took BA once in business and won't do that again. Old and tired would be the description for the cabin and just tired for the attendants. Service was marginal and food was dismal (well, it is British 😉).

PHX is always considered but mostly doesn't work out for us. LAX does and when it doesn't, DFW typically wins.

For us; we’re flying in, one day in advance.

SFO -> LHR (direct; premium class on virgin)

the trick for us, leave in the morning from california (noonish) and arrive in London around the same time..it makes our bodies adjust easier and then we just have a SOLID 8-9 hour sleep that night, then head for the ship.

however, coming home..the time difference will get ya..so plan on being tired for the next couple days after (for us; that’s fine as we can sleep in our own bed for that weekend to recoup)

Headed east we usually want to spend at least three days in the embarkation city (if I have flown that far I enjoy exploring that city).  We usually land in the morning, drop our bags at the hotel and if possible take a shower.  Then we head outside to walk our feet off, get fresh air and sunshine.  Keep going until about 8 pm local time.  Now heading back west it takes us longer to acclimate and quit waking up at 3 am.  This year we are doing the eastbound TA instead of flying - I know we lose and hour most days but that will not be an issue for us.

About once a year I fly from western Canada to the UK for a long weekend - 4 or 5 nights. With trips that short, you don’t waste time on jet lag. 

Personally, I would fly on Tuesday night for a Thursday cruise. Unless you want to enjoy London for a day or two prior to your cruise. 

To avoid the worst of jet lag, go to bed an hour earlier each night for 4 or 5 nights and also get up earlier. The night before you fly you might be going to bed at 6 pm and getting up at 2 am. 

On the flight, go to sleep right after take off. Noise cancelling headphones and an eye mask help. Don’t eat. Don’t drink - especially not alcohol. Take half a sleeping pill if you’re able. I normally wind up getting a good 6 hours sleep on an 8 1/2 flight. Then just stay awake when you get to London. Go for walks. 

"Took BA once in business and won't do that again. Old and tired would be the description for the cabin and just tired for the attendants. Service was marginal and food was dismal (well, it is British 😉)."

So BA is getting better then. I agree it is a dire product.

When I was at sea we used to fly here there and everywhere to join a ship. They used to give us a minimum of one night in a hotel for mid range flights...6/7 hrs, and two nights for long haul to Aus or NZ.

The boffins said that was enough time to recover. They had never flown MEA via Beirut!  Or gone onto 4 on 8 off watchkeeping!

Also bear in mind that London is horrendously expensive as far as touristy thind are concerned.

The best way to do a US to Europe flight is to try to sleep on the flight, but no matter what; plan an active first day. Sightseeing, drink coffee, stay on your feet. That night you can go to bed a little early and you'll adjust to Europe time usually the next day. For me the bigger question is how much sightseeing do you want to do in London. There is alot to see so I would consider the pre-cruise days as part of the vacation. Come in as early as it works for your schedule, but no later a flight on Monday. Give you two days for travel delays and adjust, and then will be cruise ready on Thursday. But, you may as well come in the Friday before and have extra sightseeing days. 

Odd... We took British Airways from SeaTac to Heathrow in late 2018. We were very impressed how they treated us in Economy! We had tons of food and beverages of any kind at no extra charge. 

Acclimate yourself by looking at the clock, not your body. 

If you arrive in the morning, do not go to bed, even if you are tired.  Stay outside in the light (sunlight if you are lucky in London) and let your body's melatonin adjust naturally.  

On the plane and on the ground, stay hydrated with water.  Tea is a diuretic, so avoid the inclination to have a cuppa.

• Like 1

For those concerned the strikes in the UK are not that disruptive, unless trains are cancelled.

Even when we strike in the UK we are so polite we try not to disrupt anyone. Its true.

Never felt the need to a UK cruise as I have been to most of the places they stop at.

I would say this though, there are many many far more interesting places than London. So the cruise should be fabulous. Bring a sweater though. Its not likely to be a sunbathing cruise.

On 3/28/2023 at 1:17 AM, CruisingAlong4Now said:

Acclimate yourself by looking at the clock, not your body. 

If you arrive in the morning, do not go to bed, even if you are tired.  Stay outside in the light (sunlight if you are lucky in London) and let your body's melatonin adjust naturally.  

On the plane and on the ground, stay hydrated with water.  Tea is a diuretic, so avoid the inclination to have a cuppa.

When flying back to the UK from LA on business trips , I was expected to turn up for work as normal on the first day back. Jet lag is for wimps !

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, wowzz said:

When flying back to the UK from LA on business trips , I was expected to turn up for work as normal on the first day back. Jet lag is for wimps !

I took a trip to Tanzania in 2016. My job does swearing in ceremonies for promotion. On the day that I left for my trip I was notified that I was going to be promoted and that the ceremony was scheduled for the first day after I got back. That was a 48 travel day - we started in a bush camp in the serengenti, went to the main city, went to the capital city, had to route through Europe coming back. That was a rough first day back to work 🙄

• Like 2