What are the things you ''NEVER'' do on a cruise that other people like.

dolittle

Hi George, I wonder if we are in the minority on this one.......I agree with you 100%. I never wear shorts for dinner either.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi George, I wonder if we are in the minority on this one.......I agree with you 100%. I never wear shorts for dinner either.

Lois - I don't wear shorts but I do wear a short dress.  Does that count?  Legs are legs 😉

9 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

Lois - I don't wear shorts but I do wear a short dress.  Does that count?  Legs are legs 😉

Hi Kat,😀 I am guessing what you are wearing looks more than acceptable.🙂 I am just speaking for me.

Wearing shorts in a nice restaurant? Just not something I would do. And it is not just "the legs" part for me. I just prefer wearing a pair of slacks for dinner. Even, here at home and I am in Florida, I would put a lightweight pair of crops/capris on if I was going out for dinner. (in summertime anyway).

On 3/25/2023 at 5:48 AM, Lois R said:

I never lay out directly in the sun.......must be in the shade.

Well, for sure, if it isn't in the sun, then it must be in the shade. 😀

I guess there are things done in the past that I would never do now.  

After reading through this, about the only things I've never done are Spa treatments and religious services.  Nothing against the latter, just haven't done any.  I've attended karaoke sessions but never behind the microphone.  

On 3/28/2023 at 2:12 PM, DarrenM said:
  •  I never talk about work as my job is boring, and even I dont like it. 
  •  I brag about my wifes job because she is a Nurse, and we all should all brag about that.

I'm surprised your wife lets you tell others. I would wager she gets bombared with questions that get worse as the cruise goes on. "Does this look infected?" comes to mind 😀.

My wife is a retired teacher and she will rarely bring it up at dinner unless someone else had/has the same career.

I am in health care sales and oh boy... I have been ambushed a time or two when I made the mistake of responding to an inquiring mind question. I had a guy ask me in front of his wife what she should do for hot flashes. You cannot make this stuff up.

To the OP. the Never List:

• Art auction
  • Slot pull
  • Late night food choices
  • Smoking areas
  • Meet and Mingle
  • Shore Excursion talks
  • Debarkaton talks
  • Evening entertainment where the guests are the featured act (it's been a while since anyone did that)
  • Board late at embarkation
  • Board late at port stops
  • Spa offers
  • Gift shop promotions (Invicata watches are less expensive on Amazon)
  • Sleep late
  • Care what someone else is wearing
  • Care what others think about my shorts on casual nights
  • Stay dressed up after dinner on Cruise Elegant nights
  • Reduce or eliminate gratuities
  • Leave luggage out the night before debarkation
  • Cruise without a small fan
  • Step off the ship in port without a copy of my passport, DL, AMEX and cash
  • Not lay out clothes and flashlight near the bed
  • Miss the chance to compliment those on the ship working hard to make my family trip memorable
  • Not excercise. My wife is a fitness nut and I go with her

See you at sea!

Edited by BallFour4
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, BallFour4 said:

I'm surprised your wife lets you tell others. I would wager she gets bombared with questions that get worse as the cruise goes on. "Does this look infected?" comes to mind 😀.

My wife is a retired teacher and she will rarely bring it up at dinner unless someone else had/has the same career.

I am in health care sales and oh boy... I have been ambushed a time or two when I made the mistake of responding to an inquiring mind question. I had a guy ask me in front of his wife what she should do for hot flashes. You cannot make this stuff up.

• Art auction
  • Slot pull
  • Smoking areas
  • Meet and Mingle
  • Shore Excursion talks
  • Debarkaton talks
  • Evening entertainment where the guests are the featured act (it's been a while since anyone did that)
  • Spa offers
  • Sleep late
  • Miss the chance to compliment those on the ship working hard to make my family trip memorable

See you at sea!

Unfortunately I must IMHO say.....some of these items can be of benefit during your sailing especially if you are a "Newbie" to cruising or the ship itself.

14 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Unfortunately I must IMHO say.....some of these items can be of benefit during your sailing especially if you are a "Newbie" to cruising or the ship itself.

Agreed. In our early days of cruising we attended some of these we avoid now.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, BallFour4 said:

• Art auction
  • Slot pull
  • Smoking areas
  • Meet and Mingle
  • Shore Excursion talks
  • Debarkaton talks
  • Spa offers
  • Sleep late

See you at sea!

My DW is, or was as she is now retired, an art teacher. At a meet and greet, one fellow passenger quizzed her on things to see in Florence. She gladly discussed it, as she loves to talk about art and share knowledge.

Another time, we were on an excursion that was back to Heathrow that included walking around the Dover and going to Canterbury on the way. The guide pointed out in Dover a bank of radar that was used for the RAF in World War II. I told him that her late father was one of those RAF pilots. They had a lively conversation following that.

On 3/30/2023 at 8:37 PM, BallFour4 said:

Agreed. In our early days of cruising we attended some of these we avoid now.

I am old enough to have had 4 careers.When I have been asked on cruises what kind of work I do or did,I have a choice.My wife also had 4 careers.

5 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I am old enough to have had 4 careers.When I have been asked on cruises what kind of work I do or did,I have a choice.My wife also had 4 careers.

Ok. I'm 64 and had my first one  in 1976 on the Mardi Gras out of Miami for high school graduation with ten members of my family. Those days were skeet shooting and golf off the aft deck. The bars were all cash, and if you had cash you were served. I did, and I was.

Lots of time passed since then, Number 41 booked to Alaska this summer.

Edited by BallFour4

7 minutes ago, BallFour4 said:

Ok. I'm 64 and had my first one  in 1976 on the Mardi Gras out of Miami for high school graduation with ten members of my family. Those days were skeet shooting and golf off the aft deck. The bars were all cash, and if you had cash you were served. I did, and I was.

Lots of time passed since then, Number 41 booked to Alaska this summer.

My first cruise was in 1973.Skeet shooting and everything was all cash .64 is young 😀

Never check in on day 1 before cabins are ready. I like to check in and go straight to my cabin to drop things off. I have zero desire to wander around the ship or going to a jam packed buffet with carry ons in tow. 

Also, several of the things already listed (gambling, decorating doors, etc). On Disney, decorating doors is such a big thing, that our door stuck out because it was one of the few not decorated. Some people had some crazy elaborate decor. People were so obsessive about it that, on the second day, we got to our cabin and someone had decorated our door for us with all sorts of Disney magnets and cute notes. 😂

• Haha 1

On 3/29/2023 at 1:43 PM, Lois R said:

Hi Kat,😀 I am guessing what you are wearing looks more than acceptable.🙂 I am just speaking for me.

Wearing shorts in a nice restaurant? Just not something I would do. And it is not just "the legs" part for me. I just prefer wearing a pair of slacks for dinner. Even, here at home and I am in Florida, I would put a lightweight pair of crops/capris on if I was going out for dinner. (in summertime anyway).

Lois you would like our favorite restaurant, shorts are not allowed in dining room even in the summer when it is 100 degrees plus. I wish they allowed in for lunch , but glad about dinner, we go multiple times a week. 

2 hours ago, Tamduff said:

Hello,

New here but answering questions. I never swim. Never have been comfortable wearing a bathing suit in public. 

I spend lots of time in a pool , been on approximately 75 cruises and cannot swim😢😢

On 3/29/2023 at 5:19 PM, lifes-a-beach said:

Play music by the pool on my phone or one of those little WiFi speakers. 

For the win.  We have folks twerking on RCCL Allure last September. .... with the speaker loud.... in the sanctuary.  PITA

10 minutes ago, cruisegal40 said:

For the win.  We have folks twerking on RCCL Allure last September. .... with the speaker loud.... in the sanctuary.  PITA

I have been thinking about this for a while.   Recently while on a ship we had a fan in our room, turns out the tv remote also worked for the fan.    It seems to me there might just be a universal remote app to control this nonsense just like the tv and the fan😉

1 hour ago, cruisegal40 said:

It was fun when Chubby Checker said to "do the twist" and when Jr Walker said "do the jerk baby".   But the twerk, nope.   

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, cruisegal40 said:

That's why I bring my noise-cancelling headphones with me 😉 

I am currently sitting at my Front Desk, listening to Samara Joy through my little speaker...

• Like 1

I've never bought an overpriced handbag or piece of jewelry or box of advil.  🙂    Shops are so expensive on ships aren't they!

I've never had a spa treatment 

Entered a Guess the Price of a Peter Max painting

sunrise yoga - nah!

(I often end up embroiled in entertainment, I was called onstage as part of a magic show -and the magician walked off leaving me on my own because I was too much like hard work!!   I just started dancing, he soon came back!)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1