The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday April 11th, 2023

StLouisCruisers

Good morning and Happy Tuesday. Sandi @StLouisCruisers, I just couldn’t resist teasing you about saying it was Monday. I don’t want to add another day getting ready to go to Fort Lauderdale Thursday. 😉

Lately I’ve been waking up around 4:00-4:30ish with my mind racing about all I need to do before Wednesday night. So I have been reading for about an hour and a half, usually the Daily or WC blogs. It takes my mind off my trip preparations and can usually get back to sleep for about an hour and a half. I sure hope this doesn’t continue. Usually I sleep better onboard. 

@kochleffel, I was on the Oosterdam last June and loved the ship. It was the third time we sailed on her and I noticed nothing like what has been reported. In fact that was the cruise my DH got covid and was in quarantine and the staff couldn’t have been nicer or more helpful while I was alone. BTW, will your new pet be a cat?

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 20

3 hours ago, 0106 said:

@kochleffelSeveral Daily posters were on the Oosterdam TA last November.  I had a wonderful time, best service I have ever had on a ship. I’ve booked the Oosterdam for a South America & Antarctic cruise in January.  If you have any questions or concerns, I’m sure we would all be happy to answer.

I ignore the haters and have blocked several posters who have nothing but negative comments.

Time to head back out to the garden, I need to continue pulling out invasive ivy. 

I hope everyone has the best day possible.

You know some cruisers set their expectations so high they’re unattainable. Some folks just aren’t happy and gripe over everything. They must be miserable to live with.

• Like 14

Good Afternoon from another cool and windy day at the beach.

The wind is so strong I could not get out of my car. I cant use the garage because the workers are putting up overhead shelves. One of them saw me and came running to hold the door. This is wild!

My painters are progressing nicely. Not really too disruptive. Now I need to get new decorative towels. 

The dinner suggestion hits the mark today. In fact I had gone to Publix when I got stuck in the car. So thanks Debbie @dfish

8 track tapes sure bring back memories. Not a big fan of Barbershop Quartets, although nice for a little bit.

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 18

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

I'll celebrate pets day even though we haven't had one since our last kitty passed in 2011.  Until then there was never a time in my life I didn't have a pet (2 dogs as a child, and 7 cats as an adult).  Now I just enjoy our grand-pups and grand-kitties so we can travel a lot. 😉  

I'll pass on the drink (coconut), and expensive red wine.  Debbie @dfishthe recipes today all look delicious!  I'm going to make the first recipe tonight for dinner.  I love Feta cheese, but it's high in sodium so will use Mozzarella instead.  And I have fresh spinach I'm growing.  This sounds really good.  

I've been bringing my own bar soap for a number of years, I really don't like liquid shower gel.  

Vanessa @JazzyV Prayers that your knee isn't infected -- good that you'll be seeing the doctor on Friday.

Here are some of my favorite pet photos over the years.

Our first pet, 17-pound "Cairo" and my parents' dog "Riley".  We were visiting them in CA and I don't think Riley thought Cairo should be in his house. This would have been around 1970.

Scan_20180526.thumb.jpg.7fb23dc421b45418467fdf76a7a9ae08.jpg

Same cat with our daughter, 1980.

Scan_20190611.thumb.jpg.b0faa5e5d2cdafdb5be41bf0abc173fc.jpg

"Ebony", around 1995

Scan_20210220.thumb.jpg.ddfee77e923a102cf5031ba93e317210.jpg

Our daughter chose to have our cat "Suhy" pose with her in one of her graduation pictures.

Scan_20200402.thumb.jpg.9e4c15f067ac1c6c125ca9bc1ac231ea.jpg

Edited to add that today is our son's 49th birthday.  How on earth can I have a son that old when I'm only 25???

Beautiful photos of your cats and your dear daughter.

Happy 49th birthday to your son.

birthday-fireworks.gif.93f1e7c6e52e2869b60c44635b2a604d.gif

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

Thanks for the concern. I heard back from the doctor's office. They want me to cover the area with a gauze and ace wrap, and limit walking. Of course go to the ER if fever/chills or foul smelling drainage. I'll see them in the office on Friday. 

I’m glad you got through to the office.  I’m so sorry this has happened to you now.  Hoping the gauze & wrap do the trick and it can be resolved on Friday 🙏🏻 

today is our son's 49th birthday.  How on earth can I have a son that old when I'm only 25???

A very happy birthday to your DS 🥳 🎂 🥂 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all!

I'll celebrate pets day even though we haven't had one since our last kitty passed in 2011.  Until then there was never a time in my life I didn't have a pet (2 dogs as a child, and 7 cats as an adult).  Now I just enjoy our grand-pups and grand-kitties so we can travel a lot. 😉  

I'll pass on the drink (coconut), and expensive red wine.  Debbie @dfishthe recipes today all look delicious!  I'm going to make the first recipe tonight for dinner.  I love Feta cheese, but it's high in sodium so will use Mozzarella instead.  And I have fresh spinach I'm growing.  This sounds really good.  

I've been bringing my own bar soap for a number of years, I really don't like liquid shower gel.  

Vanessa @JazzyV Prayers that your knee isn't infected -- good that you'll be seeing the doctor on Friday.

Our first pet, 17-pound "Cairo" and my parents' dog "Riley".  We were visiting them in CA and I don't think Riley thought Cairo should be in his house. This would have been around 1970.

"Ebony", around 1995

Our daughter chose to have our cat "Suhy" pose with her in one of her graduation pictures.

Edited to add that today is our son's 49th birthday.  How on earth can I have a son that old when I'm only 25???

Carolyn, happy birthday to your DS!  I know I say that same thing all the time about my kids' ages.  

Your daughter is a beauty!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, smitty34877 said:

@Cruising-along, Carolyn, Happy Birthday to your DS!

Also, I love the pictures of the gorgeous kitties and your equally gorgeous daughter.

36 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Beautiful photos of your cats and your dear daughter.

Happy 49th birthday to your son.

birthday-fireworks.gif.93f1e7c6e52e2869b60c44635b2a604d.gif

35 minutes ago, kazu said:

A very happy birthday to your DS 🥳 🎂 🥂 

29 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Carolyn, happy birthday to your DS!  I know I say that same thing all the time about my kids' ages.  

Your daughter is a beauty!

Thank you all!  We're very proud of both our DD and DS.  

We can't celebrate DS' birthday today (darn Covid) but will all get together at the Skagit Tulip Fields on the 22nd.  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

@JazzyV I sure hope they can identify and fix the problem with your knee whether or not there is a cruise coming up, but especially because there is a cruise coming up.  Wishing the best for you!

@Cruising-along Feta isn't my favorite, so I would probably use mozzarella as well.  Happy Birthday to your DS.  I'm glad you are feeling better day by day.  

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cunnorl said:

Good Afternoon from another cool and windy day at the beach.

The wind is so strong I could not get out of my car. I cant use the garage because the workers are putting up overhead shelves. One of them saw me and came running to hold the door. This is wild!

My painters are progressing nicely. Not really too disruptive. Now I need to get new decorative towels. 

The dinner suggestion hits the mark today. In fact I had gone to Publix when I got stuck in the car. So thanks Debbie @dfish

8 track tapes sure bring back memories. Not a big fan of Barbershop Quartets, although nice for a little bit.

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

Charlene

Our local weather guru says Thursday’s winds are supposed to be even worse. 40 - 45 mph with gusts around 60 mph. 

I am almost 4 miles from the coast and they are still very strong. Be safe. 

• Like 12

6 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Charlene

Our local weather guru says Thursday’s winds are supposed to be even worse. 40 - 45 mph with gusts around 60 mph. 

I am almost 4 miles from the coast and they are still very strong. Be safe. 

Ann

This is crazy. Almost like a tropical storm without the rain!. I am on the coast so we always have breezes but this is wild. The ocean is straight whitecaps. Really churning. Telling people not to go in the water. 

I am scheduled to golf tomorrow but unless it settles down I wont be going.

Stay safe ip there.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Prayers 🙏 extended to 2 former regular posters who I hope are safe and well.

@JAM37.

@irishjim

And in addition to them we haven't seen @St. Louis Sal since June 29, 2022.  Only 12 days earlier she mentioned the fact that she, her DD's and DH had all caught Covid from her sister's visit.  With her ALS and being on drug trials, she could have taken a turn for the worse.  I think about her and Julia @JAM37 every week, and like you mentioned @irishjim hasn't been here since last year too.  People start to feel like family after a little while. 😟

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

59 minutes ago, dfish said:

@Cruising-along Feta isn't my favorite, so I would probably use mozzarella as well.  Happy Birthday to your DS.  I'm glad you are feeling better day by day. 

Thanks Debbie.  Very glad to be almost over this.  Today the fatigue everyone talks about hit me like gang busters, and here I thought I was avoiding it. 😉  I'm determined to make this dish tonight though, just very slowly lol.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to everyone for your positive thoughts.  Jazzy so sorry to hear about your knee, I find it incredible that doctors now make you wait to be seen when complications happen.  I hope your knee resolves.

Happy Birthdays to all celebrating.  I loved the pictures of grand kids and grand nieces/nephews.  They are all adorable.

I am doing much better than I was when I last posted.  I think this will be a long haul but I am up and walking - not outside today,  like the others here in Florida the winds are dangerous and I didn't want to walk outside in my precarious state.  I have home health and home PT for now and next week I see the surgeon at the end of the week and presumably will be cleared to drive and do PT at a center.  

I can't post that often as it is hard to type ( I can't sit down for long) but reading the daily keeps me sane and I travel to the various ports of the day thanks to all who post here.  Debbie - I loved the chicken with feta recipes but cooking for me won't be for a long time. I saved them to my recipe box. 

Thanks all for your prayers and for keeping me on the care list.  

• Like 19

5 hours ago, kazu said:

I was on the Spanish Farewell and one of the officers said they were holding her together with bandaids at times.  I don’t think she was kidding.  But it was her favourite ship and many of the crew’s.  I didn’t see any bandaids per se and my experience was like Tina’s @0106.  Excellent cruise - fabulous crew.  The Sea View Bar staff were absolutely incredible.  

6 hours ago, 0106 said:

Several Daily posters were on the Oosterdam TA last November.  I had a wonderful time, best service I have ever had on a ship. I’ve booked the Oosterdam for a South America & Antarctic cruise in January.  If you have any questions or concerns, I’m sure we

2 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

I was on the Oosterdam last June and loved the ship. It was the third time we sailed on her and I noticed nothing like what has been reported. In fact that was the cruise my DH got covid and was in quarantine and the staff couldn’t have been nicer or more helpful while I was alone.

Thank you.

6 hours ago, 0106 said:

I ignore the haters and have blocked several posters who have nothing but negative comments.

So have I. But I wish there were also a way to block entire threads, because when one of those people starts a thread, I don't want to read any of it.

2 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

BTW, will your new pet be a cat?

Yes, or two cats. Originally they were Addison and Fergus, who were littermates. Sasha came after Addison died, because Fergus was very social and I thought he needed a companion. When he went, however, I thought that Sasha would do better as an only cat. The city shelter has been trying to place a bonded pair together and if they are still there, I will ask to meet them.

• Like 15

Happy Tuesday!  It's been very busy here the last few days!  Grandkids, Easter and all of the other things going on.  

Every day is Pet day here to this guy! 

@JazzyVsorry to hear about your knee, hoping the problem resolves for you...

Never had an 8 track player, had a cd player in the last car, it was 16 years old and just replaced it with a car with all of the "fancy stuff" that I'm trying to learn.  Now you just plug in the phone to the usb port!  It's very much a learning experience.  I like barber shop music, but haven't heard any in a while.  We're waiting for summer to hear the music at the beer gardens in the parks nearby.  It is finally a warm day here Yay!  

Happy Birthday, Anniversary and Happy sailing to everyone on or going on a cruise in the near future!  

IMG_7652.jpg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Better than our Cellar Master Dinner coming up!

2EB0A3AF-7F01-43DA-9F1E-1D594EA9DAE0.thumb.jpeg.2fa3933ed8222527b88f4f4598755b70.jpeg

It sounds like you might have some superior wines?  And this is a special cruise so maybe you are getting an extra special Cellar Master - At least I hope so.  I am betting you two are going 😉.  I am really glad to see them coming back.  👍 

• Like 10

1 minute ago, kazu said:

It sounds like you might have some superior wines?  And this is a special cruise so maybe you are getting an extra special Cellar Master - At least I hope so.  I am betting you two are going 😉.  I am really glad to see them coming back.  👍 

Yes, we’re going and will report.  I, too, am happy they are back.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon from a warm and mostly sunny central Texas.  The morning went about as planned, but the afternoon didn't.  First, the afternoon was cloudy for a couple of hours with a cool north breeze, so I decided to wait until tomorrow when it should be sunny and warmer to do the yard work.

The cars are now inspected, and I'll renew the registration on-line tomorrow morning.  The new tire has been mounted and installed on the car thanks to two of our neighbors.  They were nice enough to get the tire off and into the other car; then, after I got back with the new tire, they came and put it back on the car.  That is the nice part of living in this small community.  We all help and look out for each other.

8 hours ago, cruising sister said:

Good morning all,

A beautiful sunny day here in Kansas. A do worker of mine always greeted us with it was the “Best day of his life”. He was happy and a joy to work with. 

Thanks @aliaschief on the tip for bar soap. The shower gels wreak havoc on my skin.

Prayers  for those on the care list. I will sign off with one of my favorite pet photos. 

60DEC899-6B63-4CDB-B6CC-09BBB975E483.jpeg

Cute picture.  I see why it's a favorite.

6 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

Barbershop quartets are ok; haven't heard one in years. I have never had an 8-track tape or a pet other than fish. Nice quote. The meal looks good, as does the drink. I'll pass on the wine.

I haven't been to Savusavu.

It's going to be warm and sunny today. It's already 47F, although we have an air quality alert. It's always something. As I've mentioned I was having unusual pain in my right knee. I'd noticed a wet spot in the bed the other day and thought maybe it was from the cpap. Now I know it's from my knee; there's drainage! Not good. I messaged the Ortho office, but if I don't hear by this afternoon I'll try to call (and hope not to get the dreaded phone tree). I'm concerned about infection and if I need to be on antibiotics. Sigh. I have some errands I need to do and was going to BFF's DD DF's house, but I want to hang at the house a bit in case I get a call (although I can forward the landline to my cell).

@StLouisCruisers I appreciate you starting us up today. Thanks for the compliment! 

@grapau27 Thanks for the explanations.

@richwmn Thanks for the History. The Civil Rights Bill was a very important thing.

@ski ww Nice picture.

@aliaschief Thanks for sharing the goings-on aboard ship. Enjoy Cartagena tomorrow.

@dfish Thanks for the recipes.

@smitty34877 Cute dog!

@cruising sister Aww, a dog with a binkie.

@marshhawk Good luck with the job issues. 

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Be well everyone.

Vanessa, I'm sorry you're having this problem so close to your cruise and trip.  I hope it improves and you don't need to go the the ER.  I also hope you get some answers from the doctor Friday.

3 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

"Ebony", around 1995

Carolyn, cute pets and a beautiful daughter.  HAPPY 49TH BIRTHDAY to your DS.

1 hour ago, dfish said:

@JazzyV I sure hope they can identify and fix the problem with your knee whether or not there is a cruise coming up, but especially because there is a cruise coming up.  Wishing the best for you!

Debbie, I was thinking about using mozzarella too.  However, if I substitute mushrooms for the spinach, I might consider the Mexican cheese blend or maybe pepper jack.

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

And in addition to them we haven't seen @St. Louis Sal since June 29, 2022.  Only 12 days earlier she mentioned the fact that she, her DD's and DH had all caught Covid from her sister's visit.  With her ALS and being on drug trials, she could have taken a turn for the worse.  I think about her and Julia @JAM37 every week, and like you mentioned @irishjim hasn't been here since last year too.  People start to feel like family after a little while. 😟

Sandi, I've also been concerned about @St. Louis Sal.  Not only did she mention the Covid, but she also mentioned that her hands were getting weaker, too.  I hope Julia @JAM37 is just busy with all the family living with them.  Whenever I look for my posted pictures, I see posts from people who were active for a while, but then who haven't posted for quite some time.  It does make one wonder if they are all right, just like family you don't hear from often.

48 minutes ago, tupper10 said:

Thanks to everyone for your positive thoughts.  Jazzy so sorry to hear about your knee, I find it incredible that doctors now make you wait to be seen when complications happen.  I hope your knee resolves.

Happy Birthdays to all celebrating.  I loved the pictures of grand kids and grand nieces/nephews.  They are all adorable.

I am doing much better than I was when I last posted.  I think this will be a long haul but I am up and walking - not outside today,  like the others here in Florida the winds are dangerous and I didn't want to walk outside in my precarious state.  I have home health and home PT for now and next week I see the surgeon at the end of the week and presumably will be cleared to drive and do PT at a center.  

I can't post that often as it is hard to type ( I can't sit down for long) but reading the daily keeps me sane and I travel to the various ports of the day thanks to all who post here.  Debbie - I loved the chicken with feta recipes but cooking for me won't be for a long time. I saved them to my recipe box. 

Thanks all for your prayers and for keeping me on the care list.  

I'm glad you are doing better.  Standing is the hardest thing for DH.  Walking doesn't cause as many issues as just standing.  It is a slow recovery, but there should be some progress almost daily.

37 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

Yes, or two cats. Originally they were Addison and Fergus, who were littermates. Sasha came after Addison died, because Fergus was very social and I thought he needed a companion. When he went, however, I thought that Sasha would do better as an only cat. The city shelter has been trying to place a bonded pair together and if they are still there, I will ask to meet them.

Paul, I hope you are able to adopt the bonded pair of kitties.  

Lenda

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kochleffel said:

I think that is a great idea. Back when our son was young he begged for a kitten. When he and I went to check out a kitten (and on the other side of town!), we couldn’t decide and I ended up getting the brother and sister from the litter. I’m glad I did because they were inseparable. 

• Like 12