The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday April 12th, 2023

StLouisCruisers

I got an email from my friend on Sky Princess's TA.  She says Bilbao is rainy today and they expect more rain in La Rochelle tomorrow.  Better to have rain than to miss a port altogether I would think.  At least you could have breaks in the rain and do a little exploring.  I'm sorry to hear that Zuiderdam is missing their next port though.

40 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

Thank you Sandi, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work. And thank you everyone for being here!

I received my first Shingrix vaccine on Monday with little pain from the needle. But yesterday had some of the side effects including shivering and tiredness. Hopefully today I am over all that.

We need to contact our PCC after he returns from vacation next week. We have a HAL cruise that we cancelled find it's way back onto our account. Strange?

We hosted Easter dinner Sunday. I just love this photo of Lily with my gentle giant. Sam!

A6503559.thumb.JPG.3f2632d30380ee8a19651e43fbe02ee6.JPG

Stay Safe!

- Jack

How can Lily be so big already?  These babies grow by leaps and bounds.  Sweet photo of her and Sam.  Hope you're feeling fine today Jack.

Debbie @dfish all the dishes look good today.  I'm not gonna be picky so whatever anyone wants to serve me.  Lol!

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all. I think we will flirt with 80f today and lovely sunshine. Garden already has yellow and purple onions planted, plus garlic from the fall I’d doing well and endive lettuce under a small greenhouse. DH just can’t resist getting started once it gets nice.

@JazzyVi hope your knee doesn’t derail your plans. That would be too sad. Prayers for all that need them and will raise a glass later to those celebrating. 

648633B7-298B-4414-BE08-14B540C2B84D.jpeg

• Like 25

Good morning,

I love grilled cheese sandwiches and so do the grands. I have a brother who is a lawyer so I guess I am kind to a lawyer. Winds will be medium today with no big gusts. So I guess no big wind day here. A few weeks ago we would have qualified. I realized this morning that I leave in 3 weeks  for my NS cruise. I am both excited and scared at the same time. I need to get serious about gathering together what I need. 

Jacqui I hope you have a better day. I may have missed it, did you get the hardware out of your elbow? I wish I could have met you on the NS cruise. Hopefully we will meet on another cruise in the future. 

Prayers for those on the care list. I hope everyone I’d having a great time on the cruises they are on. 
Have a great day. 

• Like 24

56 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

I just love this photo of Lily with my gentle giant. Sam!

A6503559.thumb.JPG.3f2632d30380ee8a19651e43fbe02ee6.JPG

Absolutely adorable, Jack ♥️ 

11 minutes ago, cruising sister said:

I realized this morning that I leave in 3 weeks  for my NS cruise. I am both excited and scared at the same time. I need to get serious about gathering together what I need. 

It’s normal to be anxious - but trust me - you will be just fine.  You have a great roll call and that helps a lot 🙂. Try to put the anxiety aside, focus on the excitement and all the beautiful sights you will see and start figuring out your packing needs.  

11 minutes ago, cruising sister said:

Jacqui I hope you have a better day. I may have missed it, did you get the hardware out of your elbow? I wish I could have met you on the NS cruise. Hopefully we will meet on another cruise in the future. 

No, the hardware is still there (ouch).  Two weeks from today the pins come out - Not sure if he’s taking everything out or not (hope so).

I’m sorry I’m missing the cruise and meeting you too.  Hopefully there will be another cruise in our futures 🤞 (I do list mine on the FCL).

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from central Texas.  It is 52F, but will be sunny and in the mid 70s this afternoon when I tackle the yard work.

Texas can get some big winds, but not as big as Mt. Washington.  Grilled cheese sandwiches are a favorite here.  We try to be kind to the lawyers we know.

Another interesting quote.

We'll pass on the meal and the drink.  I would prefer a Mai Tai.  The wine sounds nice, but unfortunately, it's pricey.

We did not stop at Alter do Chao on our Amazon cruise.

@richwmn  Rich, enjoy your day in A Coruña.  I'm sorry you are missing Brest which is an interesting place to wander.  However, a very rough Bay of Biscay is better missed.

@grapau27  Thanks for the explanation of Big Wind Day.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, our friond's first name is Naki, not Niki, although he sometimes went by Nik in high school.

@Crazy For Cats  Jake, River is a beautiful cat.  HAPPY 8TH BIRTHDAY to  River this month.

@Heartgrove  Jack, what a great picture, and Lili has grown so fast.  I love how gentle Sam is being with her.  I hope you are feeling better today.  I had the same reaction to the first Shingrix shot, and the second one wasn't worse for me.

@cat shepard  Ann, I loved the wine meme.

@aliaschief  I hope you are enjoying your day in Cartagena.

Lenda

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3

We got the news yesterday that DGD got accepted into the masters programme for public health administration here at the university of Windsor and is on the waitlist for the same programme at the university of western Ontario in London, just up the road. Very proud of her (actually all of them). Oldest DGS has the fall semester to complete his honours bachelor of science in forensics, youngest DGS is finishing first year computer science and youngest DGD is finishing first year nursing. The oldest two had a very strange university experience during Covid. They got 3/4 of their first year in when everything went online. Year 2, online, year 3 mostly online, year 4 back in person mostly. Not your typical university experience but they persevered.

• Like 28

15 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, our friond's first name is Naki, not Niki, although he sometimes went by Nik in high school.

Lenda

Sorry for my mistake.  Yes of course it is Naki.

We have errands to run and are leaving in a little bit.  We just took a 3 day radon test in our basement, for our own personal knowledge, and have to mail it now.  Hope the results come back okay.  We have had radon in the past and had to do the remediation work.  Better safe than sorry.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

Good morning. It is already 68 here and reaching 80 later. It is so nice to not even need a sweater for the first doggie walk of the day. The winds we have had in the last two years are fierce and unusual. I don’t think wind should get it’s own day! We have not been to Brazil but enjoyed Sandi’s pictures @StLouisCruisers, thanks. I made the chicken stuffed with feta and spinach and had some very happy diners at my table last night. Thank you Debbie, as always @dfish. We are having vegetarian chili tonight to keep things simple.

Tana’s newest aide is so far working out although I was glad to be here yesterday  when two separate issues  developed. Equipment is often problematic and our patient can be difficult to manage when extremely anxious. Breathing issues breed anxiety and it is hard for a new person to maintain a calm exterior. 

@Heartgrove, that is just a wonderful picture, thank you!

@JazzyV,I hope your knee behaves today. I am so sorry that you have this additional worry prior to your trip.

Have a very good day everyone 

Terry

Edited by smitty34877
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 3

One of my favorite grill cheese was in London...a ham and cheese toastie...and a bakewell tart...🥰

If it wasn't for my gimpy shoulder....I'd be there right now this whole month....and yes....I AM whining....😕

Ham and Cheese Toastie and Bakewell Tart - London.jpg

Big Ben - London.jpg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Is it Big Wind Day or Wednesday?19E0B652-5561-4C7E-A939-8DA0454351D1.jpeg.723dd02fdb3ab2296883cb08ad4463c1.jpeg

I love grilled cheese.  D5CA2BDA-534A-4734-BBBF-7C633D14D882.jpeg.ada47d67d72e80e8cb4df93c1853d8ba.jpeg
Have you ever tried using mayo instead of butter on the bread?  Delicious.

Thanks for the recipes Debbie.  Always makes my dinner preparation more creative.  Seems like many do not like pesto.  Usually pesto is made with basil.  Arugula pesto tastes completely different, peppery.  This is my family’s favorite pasta salad. The “dressing” is arugula pesto (called gremolata). 
Farfalle with Arugula Gremolata, Gorgonzola, Golden Raisins, and Walnuts

Thanks to all who makes this a wonderful place to visit.

• Like 22
  • Haha 2

Too windy today to kayak but mid 80s!  We left our NM home and life 2 years ago today. Maryland is very good but still feels a bit strange… like 80s in April?  But it’s all good!  

Didn’t get to do an Amazon cruise, and not likely to choose to go back to Brazil again. Lawyers are important helpers and it’s time to call ours again soon now that taxes are done and eye surgery in is recovery mode!  She’s been working on our trust, updating it for Maryland. She’s been so helpful, did a great job with our Power of Attorney and Advanced Health Care Directives. So glad she’s on our side!  

Blessings to all in need of healing, comfort or hope.
Cheers to those celebrating. Smooth travels to those away, and to the cruisers, Enjoy it all!  

@luvteaching how are you faring?  And DH?  Sending some extra luv😉

Time to help with eye drops…

m—

• Like 26

Good Wednesday Morning Dailyites!  Yesterday was proof that the only thing constant is change.

I sent my letter to Boss 2, got no reply.  I copied all the right people, and had my training for my new job at 5:30 til 8.  In the middle of my zoom meeting, DH started mumbling about something, i could tell that he was angry about something.  Near the end of my meeting, and I was on mute, he tells me he got laid off from Boss 2.  He has another job that is only 6 hours a week for the next two weeks, not enough BUT Boss 2 told him to get in touch with another person to start training for the Disney Concert Hall.  Its a great job, but i think he gave him the wrong address to get in touch with the new boss. So I start tonight at Friends of Lincoln Center, and on Monday with Arizona Opera, and keeping fingers crossed that DH gets Disney.. that would last him through the summer.

BFF called last night and we (he) filled in the boarding information.  He said he would go back and get his credit card information for him and fill it in later, BUT when he added my card to DH's name it auto- matically  filled it in for all three of us.  So he is calling Holland today to figure that one out.  And once it is all completed, he will have the boarding passes emailed to us.  And of course, I still dont have the results from the PETscan.  And I may be crazy but regardless of diagnosis, I'm taking this cruise.

th?id=OIP.AQiktz0ot2oucjMEEI20AwHaHZ&pid=Api&P=0

8a913d3bda6e8981070f4b7e230b14ff.jpg

The last time we went up Mount Washington, we got off the cog railway to walk into the building and the woman who got off before us, blew right over.  Took three men to pick her up and get her into the building.  

• Like 23
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning. It is already 68 here and reaching 80 later. It is so nice to not even need a sweater for the first doggie walk of the day. The winds we have had in the last two years are fierce and unusual. I don’t think wind should get it’s own day! We have not been to Brazil but enjoyed Sandi’s pictures @StLouisCruisers, thanks. I made the chicken stuffed with feta and spinach and had some very happy diners at my table last night. Thank you Debbie, as always @dfish. We are having vegetarian chili tonight to keep things simple.

Tana’s newest aide is so far working out although I was glad to be here yesterday  when two separate issues  developed. Equipment is often problematic and our patient can be difficult to manage when extremely anxious. Breathing issues breed anxiety and it is hard for a new person to maintain a calm exterior. 

@Heartgrove, that is just a wonderful picture, thank you!

@JazzyV,I hope your knee behaves today. I am so sorry that you have this additional worry prior to your trip.

Have a very good day everyone 

Terry

I'm sorry to hear Tana was anxious and having breathing problems yesterday Terry.

I hope she is okay now.

Graham.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

I think it must be a conspiracy to have Big Wind Day and International Lawyers Day on the same day.  That sounds kind of cheesey to me.  Especially when those lawyers grill you.  Got to love the SD weather.  Last week it was in the 20's with snow, yesterday it was 93 degrees.  I really missed spring this year.  

• Like 10
  • Haha 14

We've had 2 recent compound "Ports of the Day", Puerto Caldera/Costa Rica and Amber Cove/Puerto Plata.  Altar Do Chao/Santarem could almost be a third.  Altar Do Chao sits about 20 miles up the Rio Tapajos from Santarem which sits at the confluence with the Amazon.  I visited both cities in 2013 and 2019 on the Prinsendam and both ties visited Santarem headed towards Manaus and Altar Do Chao on the way back.  I did not really see a lot of Altar Do Chao and was not especially impressed with what I did see.  In 2013 I visited Tapajos National Forest from Santarem and then had a "Highlights of Santarem" tour when we stopped at Altar Do Chao on the way back.

In 2019 I did walk around Altar Do Chao but the highlight was the departure.  That day MS Veendam was visiting Santarem and it was the last time Prinsesndam and Veendam as BHB's and both Captains made it a great celebration with toots galore, cameras flashing and the Veendam following us until she turned upstream towards Manaus.

Here's my blog post from that day:

https://morethangetaways.wordpress.com/2019/03/14/day-p68-wednesday-march-13-2019-alter-do-chao-brazil/

Roy

• Like 23

It turns out we have been to Alter do Chao, but not as a port.  In 2006, we did b2b Amazon cruises on the old Regal Princess.  On the way back down the river when we stopped at Santarem, along with another couple, we hired a taxi to take us to Belterra, the former Ford rubber plantation and town.  On the way to Belterra, we made a brief stop in Alter do Chao, which was much easier than the tender and beach walk Sandi @StLouisCruisers did last fall.  This is what I posted on April 18, 2021.

We were there at the end of the rainy season, and the little beach peninsula with the huts, was under water.  You can barely see the tops of the huts.

IMG_0561.thumb.JPG.0bf619d44f79c579fbfdf82fb8785106.JPG

The inside of the church in @rafinmd Roy showed in his pictures.

IMG_0569.thumb.JPG.693c9930aeefdc22148182417165bf4b.JPG

A couple of street scenes of Alter do Chao.

IMG_0566.thumb.JPG.22ae888f295e4927a451ac16b825b69c.JPG

IMG_0570.thumb.JPG.2f11551c5476442d880c4ea1ca27f91e.JPG

As I mentioned, we were on our way to Belterra, one of two rubber plantations founded by Henry Ford.  The first was Fordlandia in 1927, but it did not thrive because the native workers were badly treated.  Belterra opened in 1931, and because the workers were well treated, it was a success.  While it is no longer a rubber plantation, the town is still populated and well maintained.  In 1945, Ford sold both Belterra and Fordlandia back to the Brazilian government.

Along with another couple, we found a taxi driver who was willing to take us to Belterra but it took about three tries.  Unfortunately, Princess at that time nor HAL now, offer tours to Belterra, which is worth a visit.

Our first stop was the city hall.  The people working there were very friendly and glad to have foreign visitors.  They took us into the back office and showed us pictures, documents and maps from the heyday of Belterra.

IMG_0573.thumb.JPG.6a3dd818e1108c6808da27d82d67840a.JPG

Some views of the houses and the main street, which was paved with bricks.

IMG_0582.thumb.JPG.7b9c2c112d1b98ebcf67dff651273bb3.JPG

IMG_0589.thumb.JPG.4975f4d29870edebdfc4837d1e82c61c.JPG

IMG_0590.thumb.JPG.98847d02485da818b9502a000dfe426e.JPG

There was also a pretty park complete with a basketball court.  I don't remember what the monument the other couple (who's name is lost in the mists of time) is looking at.  The other two in the picture is our taxi driver and DH.

IMG_0592.thumb.JPG.f35cd74b9504fecc19c32500dff2de40.JPG

IMG_0595.thumb.JPG.18dffb18da61015bd9920ce3ebcb7367.JPG

They still have a stand of rubber trees that are scored and where they collect the milky liquid (latex) which is about 30% rubber..

IMG_0585.thumb.JPG.683d961448e23c7802f7e73c036ec8ec.JPG

IMG_0586.thumb.JPG.48c94e18260d00d9a3c7cbce99f7d8cc.JPG

The people in the city hall gave our driver directions for a quicker way back to Santarem using the backroads.  We saw a lot more of the jungle, especially since our driver got lost a couple of times, making us wonder if we'd miss the ship.  We made it back to town with enough time for a stop at the museum and a quick tour of the town.  I'll save those pictures until Santarem is the port of the day.

Lenda

• Like 21
  • Thanks 7

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily @richwmn and @StLouisCruisers.

We've had too many big wind days recently, causing damage and fire threat. I like a good grilled cheese sandwich, but don't make it often. I have little interaction with lawyers, but we should be kind to all. Interesting quote. Maybe on the meal; I'm not a pesto fan. Pass on the drink. I'd like the wine but it's too pricey for me.

I haven't been to Alter Do Chao.

It's going to be a glorious day here today. It's already 60F and sunny, going up to 79 this afternoon. There are red flag warnings due to dryness, and there have been a few wildfires, although no where near me. Unfortunately other than sitting outside a bit, I won't get to enjoy the weather much. The lawn really needs to be mowed, but that has to wait. Today would be injection day, but Rheumatology wants me to wait until after I see Ortho on Friday. I'm having less pain in the right knee, but the left hurts from using it more. There was some drainage on the gauze this AM, but it's hard to tell on white material. I appreciate all the good thoughts and prayers!

@StLouisCruisers Thanks for the startup and your photos. 

@richwmn Thank you for today's history. I visited the Star City Cosmonaut Training Center when I was in Russia in 2008, which had a big statue to Yuri Gagarin. Sorry you'll be missing Brest.

@Crazy For Cats River is very handsome. Happy 8th Birthday this mornth.

@aliaschief Enjoy your excursion in Cartagena. Unfortunately when I was there, my knee caused me to not be able to walk much, so I only saw the animals in the park near the dock.

@kazu It looks like the gardening is coming along well. 

@Heartgrove Awesome photo of Lily and Sam, Jack. I had that reaction to the first Shingrix shot, but almost nothing with the second one.

@Lady Hudson Wow on that house situation.

@Vict0riann I hope your weather isn't too bad!

@superoma That's a nice big garden. Congrats to all the DGC on their academic achievements, despite Covid!

@rafinmd Great sunset photo. Thanks for the blog link.

@smitty34877 Sorry to read of Tana's issues, but I'm sure it helps the new aide to have you their with your calming manner and experience dealing with it all.

@marshhawk I don't know how you keep up with all these rotating jobs and bosses! Fingers crossed for DH to get the Disney concert hall job. 

@Quartzsite Cruiser Lovely photos.

@kplady Good to hear you're both out of quarantine; sorry you missed all the NZ ports. 

@atexsix Bruno, glad you stopped by the Daily yesterday. You have done a great job caring for DD and I hope the PT is able to get him good enough to travel again.

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to the Celebration List.

Be well everyone.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 6

Good Morning to all the Dailyites and thank you for all the contributions as usual!

Grilled is cheese is the ultimate comfort food in our house and best enjoyed on a rainy day.

My darling niece is a lawyer, so of course I’ll be kind to her!

We’ve never been to Brazil, but it’s another one on these new retirees bucket list.

Today is a beautiful sunny day in Vancouver, and we kick off our 2023 cruise ship season with the Sapphire Princess today and Konigsdam tomorrow. 
Best wishes to everyone!

• Like 20