The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday April 13th, 2023

StLouisCruisers

36 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

So we just got through Customer Service with UA and the agent wears a cape.

He got us booked out tomorrow, through ORD to Fort Meyers FL. We get in early evening and will next look at booking a rental car to FLL. US also booked us into a hotel on them. 

So being we’re now driving from ft Meyer to FLL Friday evening, or early Saturday morning. Any idea on routes and timing?

United kept our check on bags and we’re supposed to see them at Fort Meyer. Going to try to pre book a one way car.

All advice is welcome.

I’m just a little stressed.

Thinking about all the rest of you also stressing and scrambling, and those effected by this weather who are not as fortunate.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, tupper10 said:

@TiogaCruiser American Airlines has a flight leaving tomorrow non stop with seats and United has one on Saturday morning - to Miami. That is all I could fine. Good luck. What a mess.  

I had it purchased and my bank decided they had to text me to confirm it was me. Never got the text. Tried DH card and lost all in flight internet connection. Seats were gone by the time we got to CS.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

For those of you in the Florida area, or who are familiar with the area.

Help please!

I’m starting to look for a car rental, one way. From Ft Meyer airport.

I’m thinking not to FLL, as that might be really impacted.

Is there another local town that is large enough to have car rentals, and where we could drop the car and Uber?

Maybe between Miami and FLL?

• Like 6

@TiogaCruiser

Not an expert but I hear your plea!  
try a map for a rental car company, maybe Enterprise and look for neighborhood locations. South of FLL might be less flooded. They are getting a lot more rain right now!  

Costco travel has one way rental car prices. If you are a member.  Or try Enterprise website.  

Routing will be I-75 to I-95 or US1. Check FL state road conditions to see what’s closed. Google Mapping navigation is your friend. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Help please!

Is there another local town that is large enough to have car rentals, and where we could drop the car and Uber?

The distance between Miami and Ft Lauderdale is only 25 miles...Dania and Hollywood are two towns between them but I'm thinking they may have been impacted as well You may be better off looking North of FLL.. such as. Pompano, Boca Raton or West Palm....I don't know how much of the area was impacted by the storm.

Edited by Love the beach
  • Like 9

31 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Help please!

Laura

depending in the time of day 75 can be crazy.

I suggest Hollywood, FL, but you should confirm that they have not been impacted by the freak storm.  

Here is the most straightforward route, but it has tolls. 

2C5F4BF7-713C-4705-9507-9C5C6459A297.thumb.png.e15c352d8c8e2c3fc68b407dd1099b9c.png

Here is the No toll option, and depending on the time of day, this would be my choice. I will try to take a screen shot of the rental car office locations.

in the meantime Dailyites who live closer to that area might have better options. 

Be right back. 

0D9B57AF-4165-4A5E-B5D9-EFBCCE1802C0.png

Laura, this shows at least three National car rental chains with offices in Hollywood. The rental car company will know if there is still an issue. 

I am going to check Pompano Beach, which is North of the flooded area. 

6E35DCA2-21F6-4973-9B1C-E312F6CE63E3.jpeg

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

@TiogaCruiser

Laura

This might be the better of the two options. It appears parts of Hollywood are still flooded, so rather than worry - here’s the options for Pompano Beach.  

The I-75 option with tolls

621905F6-1D11-4737-AC58-EB994B20A043.jpeg.c9f3f1bbe2e81a4a2414598b39200389.jpeg

The alternate route that may still include tolls, by combining it with the end of the other option, since the section of the route in Fort Lauderdale may be closed.

08C97155-B1C7-4829-A274-EBC158AEE5CC.jpeg.fbf95f16bdbcc89e687b242c696896f4.jpeg

And again the rental car office locations for several major car rental chains. 

Good luck & keep us posted. 

227C1A84-66D1-4255-BAB1-3CB5E075FF43.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

@TiogaCruiser

It looks like Ft Lauderdale is getting more heavy rain now but it looks like it will clear by 9pm. I have not been on I-75 (alligator alley) in more than 10 yrs but I was on 80 & 27 many times up until 5  years ago it is not an easy route. 

Maybe @POA1 could let you know the conditions close to the port as he lives there.

Also the port is open but try to call HAL if you can. They might delay departure with all the airport problems. They did because of the hurricane in Nov 2022 by a day.

Wish I was close enough to pick you up and take you there. Good luck take care.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Thank you ALL.

We just got to the hotel. UA is picking up meals for us also. We feel so incredibly grateful, for that and for all your help.

Am sitting down now with these posts and the map of FLL I brought along from auto club. Got some research ahead of us.

@cat shepard  or anyone else locally-

When you say tolls, how are they collected? Is cash ( paper/coin) or credit card an option? Or do I have to create an online account and get a transponder ( like in my area.)

Thanks in advance 

Laura

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Thank you ALL.

We just got to the hotel. UA is picking up meals for us also. We feel so incredibly grateful, for that and for all your help.

Am sitting down now with these posts and the map of FLL I brought along from auto club. Got some research ahead of us.

@cat shepard  or anyone else locally-

When you say tolls, how are they collected? Is cash ( paper/coin) or credit card an option? Or do I have to create an online account and get a transponder ( like in my area.)

Thanks in advance 

Laura

When you rent the car they should be able to give you a transponder for the tolls. Be sure to ask.

Most of the toll roads near me do NOT accept cash or cc.  I have not been on 75 in a long time, so not sure. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Help please!

The flooding in all of  east Broward county is awful. There are many closures still and given that it is raining again I am not sure how good it will be driving there. I would take the turnpike after you get off of alligator alley  which stays west of 95 and then stay due west of FLL.  Just know the turnpike has tolls but they will bill the rental car company.   You can try the area around Plantation which is not flooded.  There are a number of hotels there and it is a nice area.  We use Costco for all of our car rentals.  I am getting an uber estimate of around 112.00 so if you can't find a rental car I would pre book uber or lyft.   Good luck and what a bummer about the AA flight.  

The weather is supposed to be nice the rest of the week.  Let us know how you make out.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, cat shepard said:

When you rent the car they should be able to give you a transponder for the tolls. Be sure to ask.

Most of the toll roads near me do NOT accept cash or cc.  I have not been on 75 in a long time, so not sure. 

That is correct.  I drove in the area in November and am pretty sure there are 2 options; if you don't have a transponder your tag will be photographed and the car owner will be sent a bill.    At least all the major rental companies supply a transponder.  When I was there I had my own car and used a transponder but almost all of the east coast states have reciprocal arrangements.  THere will be a surcharge from your rental car but the tolls may not be that big a deal.

Roy

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, tupper10 said:

The flooding in all of  east Broward county is awful. There are many closures still and given that it is raining again I am not sure how good it will be driving there. I would take the turnpike after you get off of alligator alley  which stays west of 95 and then stay due west of FLL.  Just know the turnpike has tolls but they will bill the rental car company.   You can try the area around Plantation which is not flooded.  There are a number of hotels there and it is a nice area.  We use Costco for all of our car rentals.  I am getting an uber estimate of around 112.00 so if you can't find a rental car I would pre book uber or lyft.   Good luck and what a bummer about the AA flight.  

The weather is supposed to be nice the rest of the week.  Let us know how you make out.  

@TiogaCruiser

Laura 

Plantation is an even better option. A bit less driving from Fort Myers & very close to Fort Lauderdale.  Definitely Budget & Enterprise are good options.

Kudos to @tupper10 for suggesting it!

DBA98F9D-10ED-45FE-BB0D-0C9EAE54E2CC.jpeg.479a85d68e6660d865d8e5871c7c5e86.jpeg

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon from a warm, sunny and only breezy central Texas.  We played hooky to day and took a road trip and managed to miss the potholes.  😉 

Most of the fields in central Texas are covered with wildflowers, not just bluebonnets.  The town of Ennis, about an hour north of here, has a Bluebonnet Festival every year.  We tried going a couple of years ago on the Saturday of the festival, but talk about a zoo.  Ennis is not far from the DFW area, and the main street was more of a parking lot than a street.  The festival starts tomorrow, so we decided to drive up there today.  It wasn't crowded, but not really worth the drive.  The flowers in our area and on the way to Ennis were just as pretty.  Ennis was just smart enough to turn the wildflower season into a money maker for the town.  Even so, it was nice to get out of our rut and go somewhere that did not involve a doctor or a grocery/big box store.  🤣

Today proves again how special the Fleet Report/Daily is.  I've been impressed with all the Dailyites who are helping @TiogaCruiser with flight information and advice on rental cars and places to stay in FLL.  We truly have become a family who is there for everyone.

7 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I appreciate plants, both indoor and outdoor. Bookmobiles are important for those who don't have easy access to libraries. Yum, peach cobbler; my DM used to make it, I haven't. Funny quote. The meal looks interesting, although carb laden. I like the drink, in winter. Pass on the wine due to price.

I was supposed to visit Monte Carlo on my cancelled 2020 cruise.

Another gorgeous day, sunny and going up to 82 (near record temp). Nothing new with me. Still noting some drainage from the knee, but no fever/chills or purulent drainage. I'll see Ortho tomorrow morning. I'm hoping to be able to mow the lawn tomorrow or Saturday (before the rain), if I get the ok; it's really getting high after 2 feedings of fertilizer.

I see FL is getting slammed with rain and the FLL airport was closed this morning! I hope everyone traveling gets where they need to go.

@StLouisCruisers Thanks for our start and the photos.

@richwmn Thank you for setting things up so we could continue the FR/Daily, the info on the quote, and for the history mention. Handel's Messiah is a favorite of mine, and I used to sing in a choir that performed parts of it too.

@Crazy For Cats Lots going on at your house!

@TiogaCruiser Fingers crossed for no issues flying into FLL. Safe travels.

@aliaschief Enjoy the PC transit. Fun memes.

@mamaofami Hoping for good news on your eye checkup.

@kazu Love the clematis. Good memes.

@Sharon in AZ Oh my on the cancelled flight and rebooked late flight! Safe travels.

@ottahand7 Thanks for sharing your plant photos. 

@tupper10 Good to hear you're feeling better.

@cruising sister That's interesting luggage.

@ger_77 Welcome home. Sorry the farewells were difficult and to hear about the strep throat. Good thing the antibiotics are working.  

@RMLincoln Good luck with DH easing off the Benadryl. I hope the drops can be reduced further. That cruise sounds interesting. I hope you're able to get to your friend's celebration of life.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Great Monaco photos.

@kochleffel Do you ever use something like Lactaid that you take before eating dairy? I was severely lactose intolerant from my 20's to 40's, but then seemed to outgrow it. I don't know if the enzyme to digest lactose came back or what.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Be well everyone.

My night blooming cereus

IMG_1655.thumb.JPG.5ae9a52f3875e198e1f2a1218d5a8a4d.JPG

Vanessa, I hope they have a quick fix for your knee tomorrow that doesn't impact your cruise or trip.  Thank you for your comments about my pictures today.  Love the picture of the Christmas cactus.

7 hours ago, luvteaching said:

Good morning everyone, 

It's been a busy and somewhat emotional few days here. I've read the Daily but just didn't get to posting. 

DH is continuing to heal and is doing very well for having had sepsis and being in shock. He's now ready to be discharged but I had to make the tough decision that I couldn't have him home yet as he can't help with transfers, etc. I knew it meant skilled nursing/rehab and that's fine but everything in our local area, including the one we've spent time in since October, are full and declined to take him. So now he's being taken to one this morning that is in Everett which is about 50 miles away and about an hours drive or so for me. I'm not a happy camper as it separates him from friends and family as well and adds the stress of a lot of driving on me but not much we can do. He has 4-5 medicare days left and then it's private pay. This one is a bit cheaper than the others but still about $13,000 for a month so a hit to the bank account but we can do it. I'm hopeful that he can be back to his baseline in a month but we shall see. Today is his 65th high school reunion on Zoom so I'm taking my laptop down to the facility in hopes that we can log in there. 

Thanks for being here! 

Karen

Karen, I can relate to your difficult decision about rehab for your DH.  Fortunately, we both knew rehab was the best place for him after his second surgery.  I was the one that insisted he be able to function at home by himself with just a little help from me.  The hour plus drive was not that difficult for me since I knew DH was in the best rehab facility in the area.  I hope your DH makes good progress and is home soon.

6 hours ago, marshhawk said:

Serendipity this morning.  Hunger and lack of breakfast choices at home, we went to Old Hickory House for breakfast.  I asked DH if any of the youtube vidoes he watched yesterday talked about the lido deck and the woman across from us asked us if we were cruisers.  They only cruise Holland, answered some of my questions, told me how great the food was, and their favorite ship was the Nieux Amsterdam.  Small world. 

My mom bought paintings throughout places we stayed in Europe.  I have a painting of Villefrance next to me when I am at the computer. 

Annie, talk about being in the right place at the right time.  I'm glad you got some good first hand information about HAL and the Lido.

6 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

So my rebooked flight was canceled because the airport will be closed until 5:00am, and even then only one runway is scheduled to be usable. I didn’t have many options to choose from and decided not to take anymore chances on FLL so now I’m on a red eye to Miami.  I’m not the only person scrambling for flights. 

I’ve been in contact with another HAL rep and they have forwarded my flight details to the Miami reps. I don’t like taking an overnight flight but I want to arrive early enough to rest up before embarkation on Saturday. I can always take a nap. 

I’m hoping @TiogaCruiser and her DH can get rerouted. They probably haven’t landed in Houston yet. 

Sharon, I hope the red eye flight is not too bad, and glad you will have a day to rest.  It's good the HAL rep could contact the rep in Miami to let them know to expect you.

5 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

Every day here is plant appreciation day.  I think I remember bookmobiles in childhood, but used the library.  We both love peach cobbler, haven't had any in ages.  Funny quote, will pass on the drink even in winter.  I love rum but Hot Buttered Rum, has always seemed too sweet to me.  Will pass on the red wine, and would try the 2nd recipe.  We've been to Monte Carlo once.  We were with DS and DBIL, we took public transportation to Eze and then to Nice.  It was a very nice day, but my photos are pre-digital.

Last night I slept for 10 hours, so Covid tiredness hasn't gone yet.  Feeling pretty good otherwise, just tire easily.  Today I took a Covid test (first since testing positive 9 days ago) and still have a very faint red line so will test again in a day or two.  DH has the same.  

I feel bad for @TiogaCruiserand @Sharon in AZtrying to get to Fort Lauderdale for their cruises.  Smart to fly to other airports!  I remember back in 2017 (?) when FLL had an active shooter at the airport.  We were mid-flight as it was happening, and were rerouted to Miami.  A good friend had landed before us and was there as it was happening.  😞  

@luvteachingI'm sorry you had to make the hard decision with DH and now have to drive to Everett  to visit your DH.  On the bright side, the traffic is so much easier between here and Sedro-Woolley than between here and Seattle.  I know it's a long drive, but I'd do that before any drive south.  

Here are a few photos of my favorite flowers in the garden over the years.

Hellebore

Hellebore1.thumb.jpg.072a08e1f6e1e213056763e8d163098e.jpg

Lambs' Ears, Tulips, Hosta, Ajuga, and Rhodies

springgarden.jpg.bf863d985f748340c64ffb6360a76567.jpg

Side shade garden

sidegarden.thumb.jpg.38c0bba8d763498515169be648a104ff.jpg

Rhodie in full bloom

rhodie.jpg.c71cf9de008971ffb21c122d3d16859e.jpg

Carolyn, I'm sorry you and your DH are still seeing a faint red line.  I hope it's gone the next time you test.  Thanks for all the flower pictures.

5 hours ago, aliaschief said:

The Zandam and Eurodam just passed by each other in Gatlung Lake and we were treated to a huge tooting exchange. Folks waving and yelling at each other. Fun time.

image.thumb.jpeg.d37031c36938aa05c76d52e0a173de41.jpeg

Bruce, thanks for  the picture of the Zaandam, a great ship.  I've quit saying any BHB is our favorite since they sold the last three we said that about.  🤣  I don't want to jinx another BHB.  And thank you for all your canal pictures. I am reliving our many canal cruises.

2 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

So we just got through Customer Service with UA and the agent wears a cape.

He got us booked out tomorrow, through ORD to Fort Meyers FL. We get in early evening and will next look at booking a rental car to FLL. US also booked us into a hotel on them. 

Laura, it's good you are set for flights to Fort Meyers.  I was also going to suggest checking out Uber.  We found it was cheaper to take Uber from DFW to our house 100 miles south of the airport than the cost of the rental car and drop off fee.  Uber will also add the tolls to your bill if they do what our driver did, but it was still a better option.  Also, we didn't have to drive to Waco the next day to return the car.  Our driver was please that with Baylor playing a football game that night, he could pick up a fare back to Dallas.  We have also stayed in Plantation pre-cruise, and it is a nice area.

5 minutes ago, tupper10 said:

I guess I read your mind, since I was thinking about suggesting Uber, too.  We drove part of Alligator Alley in 2015, and it wasn't that bad then, and we liked staying in Plantation.

Lenda

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

So looking at the paper map, I’m assuming Alligator Alley is the road through the Everglades. I’m getting a chuckle out of that.

Yes it is, but it has changed a lot since the first time we took it in the late 1970s.  Then, it was a two lane road, IIRC.  Now, it's an interstate higway.

Another suggestion if you decide to use Uber, and if you're like us and have a lot of luggage, be sure to tell them when you book that you will need a larger car.

Lenda

• Like 11

Checked in and saw a lot of activity this afternoon.  @TiogaCruiser Laura if you can get to Plantation that is a place we've stayed at a lot.  Last time we dropped off a rental car at the Broward mall adjacent to our hotel, Hampton Inn and Suites.  We've stayed at Hampton Inn many, many times since 2008.  They free breakfast and have a shuttle service to the port, and despite charging now instead of free like it used to be, it's cheap for the ride.  In fact, last time the desk clerk said she wouldn't even add it to our bill.  There are also many other hotels near the Hampton Inn.  Courtyard, LaQuinta, and a Hyatt Place slightly farther from the Broward Mall.  We dropped our car off at a Budget/Avis right there at the mall.    Good luck!

Edited to add, check closing times for rental car drop off because I know we had to return ours by 6 pm or something like that.  Hope the Uber option works for you though because it sounds like it would be easier than the rental car route.

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 13

Interesting trail of BHB's crossing the Atlantic this evening.  Thought some of you would like to see the cruisemapper map with them lined up like ducklings following mama duck.image.thumb.png.fb0f8138ef11f36d96d7e726a4c46e70.png

Zuiderdam in the lead (going to Portland, Weymouth England) followed by Rotterdam going to Plymouth, England, then behind it is Nieuw Statendam going to Ponta Delgada Azores, and ending with Oosterdam headed to Praia da Vitoria Azores.  Fun!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Again, thank you all. 

We booked at Hilton by the airport (RSW) in Fort Myers for tomorrow night, then will Uber to PEG at the crack of dawn. We decided to stay near RSW in case our luggage doesn’t follow us. UA kept our luggage in storage because we were canceled. It did make shuttling here easier, but we’re a bit concerned it might take a different trip.

We have 35 minutes to change planes, and we’re in economy near the back of the plane. ( I’ll ask the flight attendant if we can get off as a priority- not sure they do that.)

We’re planning to Uber to PEG for several reasons- including the local knowledge that a resident would have. Cost look like $160.

I’m reminding myself of some wisdom from our pastor: “There’s no panic in the Throne Room”.

Again, thank you ALL.

• Like 14

Mark Twain is buried here, and in the cemetery it's common to see people searching for his grave. The way to it is signposted, and they're usually close to it, but he has only a small marker in a plot with a very large one in the center bearing the name of his wife's family, Langdon. The same cemetery has the graves of several (moderately) well-known abolitionists, many of whom were connected with the church the Langdon family, and the Clemenses when they were here, attended; one of the Beechers was the pastor for much of the 19th century.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1