The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday May 5th, 2023

Question for Bruce @aliaschief if / when he has time.  

De Librje has now appeared on our upcoming cruise as a pop up.  Did you book it prior to your cruise or did you wait until you were on board.

I ask as I would like to wait until I am on board as I have a chunk of OBC but if there is a possibility it could be sold out, I will pre-book it and request the credit back on board 🤞 Thoughts?

Regarding Cinco de Mayo - it is celebrated in Mexico by many but in small ways - like family get togethers.  It’s mainly remembered as a military victory.  It’s not commercialized like in the rest of North America.  It was a significant day to DH as he and his family always got together and it was a requirement that Mexican fare be on the menu that night here and yes, I can cook Mexican.  I had several cook books.   Many of the recipes in them are barely similar to what is considered Mexican here 😉 

• Like 24

Imagine my post actually being on Page 1!  Could it mean that I am up way too early.  Had to get up to eat a piece of toast 4 hours before my surgery!  At least it is fairly early.  

As I am looking out the window, the clouds are a beautiful pink hue.  Guess that is "Red Sky in the morning."  Wonder what is in store weather wise?  Hope it continues on a cooler trend, especially east of here.  Spent yesterday on several Red Cross calls.  Road closures, bridges under water, etc.

Will make this short.  Prayers for all on the cares list.  Thanks to all who make this place so special!.

Mary Kay

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

Good morning!   It is a beautiful day here and we are going to have a nice run of sunny days.   

@cruzn single and @Vict0riann prayers that your surgeries go smoothly today.   

@mamaofami Great news on your cancer results.  

Prayers for Tana.

Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Reports Sandi and Rich and thank you for all the research our three members do for our food and drinks each day.  Today I will take a pass on all three.  

@superoma thank you for keeping our Cares and Celebrations reports for us each day!   Prayers for all needing them and the people of Ukraine.  

We were in Rio February 18 and 19 this year.  We did nothing but walk around the port area because HA offered nothing that I could do due to Carnival.     I will  have to switch over to my phone for my photos.   Have a wonderful day!  Nancy 

• Like 20

IMG_7361.jpeg.c6c83539a624fb1f9ead85a59649e690.jpeg

from one of my favorite cartoonists!

1 hour ago, lcand1923 said:

I often wonder if a Hoagie is just a different name for the sandwich that I know as a Submarine or if there is some special ingredient that makes it a Hoagie.

In my experience, a hoagie has a crustier roll is served cold and uses oil and vinegar, never mayo.  If the bread is good, I love all types of hoagies, subs, heros, grinders and sandwiches.  I often make this Hoagie Sandwich Topping.

I appreciate everyone who responded to my travel insurance question. Seems like being a MD resident is preventing me from purchasing certain policies.  I did contact Insure My Trip but the only annual policy they could offer had a 2 year look back period which won’t work for my DH.  I will continue searching.

Positive thoughts to those who need them.  Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

• Like 20

Good morning, everyone!

Warm thoughts and wishes sent for @cruzn single and @Vict0riann"s Pat for their surgeries today.  Prayers that all goes well and recovery is swift.  

We really enjoyed the musical performance last night at the Center for the Arts.  Morgan Toney is a gifted fiddle player!   I don't know how I did it, but I scored seats in the middle of the second row.  Talk about being up front!  

The hoagie/sub/grinder/hero debate is mainly limited to the east coast and Pennsylvania.  There may be minute regional differences in preparation, but the terms really pertain to the same thing.  

Some things in life are simple: we know that two pieces of bread with stuff between them, for example, is a sandwich. Swap in a long roll, however, and things get a lot more complicated.

Let’s start with the submarine, or sub. A sub is at least six inches long and is constructed with a combination of meat, cheese, fixings (lettuce, tomato, etc.), and dressing. It is usually served cold. According to Google Trends, the word “sub” is by far and away the most commonly used of today’s four large-sandwich terms. 

Pennsylvanians — Philadelphians, in particular — have their “hoagies.” A hoagie is just a sub — the Oxford English Dictionary literally defines it as a “submarine sandwich” — but the Pennsylvania folk have insisted on making it their own. According to Bon Appétit, the term likely comes from Depression-era jazz musician and sandwich-shop owner Al De Palma, who started calling his submarines “hoggies” because you “had to be a hog” to eat a sandwich that big. (So judgy!) “Hoggies” somehow morphed into “hoagies,” and you got yourself a regional sandwich term.

You can read about this and also heros and grinders here:  https://www.eater.com/2019/9/15/20866864/whats-the-difference-between-hero-sub-grinder-hoagie-sandwich

If you liked the salmon with the strawberry relish, I am sure you'll like this dish as well.  You could actually make up the strawberry relish and the citrus salsa and offer them both on the side.  https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/grilled-salmon-with-citrus-salsa-verde-recipe-1948970

salmonwithcitrussalsaverde.thumb.jpeg.429764eceb1513cbd8b654b32b4ba81c.jpeg

This one actually roasts the salmon in the citrus salsa.   https://wishbonekitchen.com/slow-roasted-salmon-with-citrus-salsa-verde/

salmonwithcitrussalsaverde2.thumb.jpg.c28657481832eb6a9060803fbc3b3142.jpg

This one uses oranges and limes instead of oranges and lemons.  https://feelgoodfoodie.net/recipe/grilled-salmon/

salmonwithcitrussalsaverde3.thumb.jpg.b5b7f55768ce38c351e9d8ecc85ec48b.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

Edited by dfish
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 8

10 minutes ago, Nickelpenny said:

Good Morning and Happy Cinco de Mayo!!

Thanks for all the info, pics and smiles.  Thinking of those on the care list.

(3 more work weeks!!!!  🙂 )

Yay on only three more weeks. Is your last official day May 26 or May 31? Just asking for the celebration list so I get it right.

Edited by superoma
Spelling
  • Like 16

46 minutes ago, kazu said:

Question for Bruce @aliaschief if / when he has time.  

De Librje has now appeared on our upcoming cruise as a pop up.  Did you book it prior to your cruise or did you wait until you were on board.

I ask as I would like to wait until I am on board as I have a chunk of OBC but if there is a possibility it could be sold out, I will pre-book it and request the credit back on board 🤞 Thoughts

It was not offered on our Eurodam cruise. Surprised as I thought that meal was no longer offered. We wouldn’t have booked it as we had done it a couple of times and that was enough.

Our cruise with the Celebrity Chef David Burke onboard we did book in advance but most folks booked on board. I believe 82 guest were booked and some booked last minute.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

It was not offered on our Eurodam cruise. Surprised as I thought that meal was no longer offered. We wouldn’t have booked it as we had done it a couple of times and that was enough.

Our cruise with the Celebrity Chef David Burke onboard we did book in advance but most folks booked on board. I believe 82 guest were booked and some booked last minute.

Thanks Bruce - sorry I forgot you didn’t go - you had a lot of lovely special dinners.  I haven’t seen a David Burke one offered yet for our cruise - but who knows?

Thanks - you answered my question with your David Burke comments.  Much appreciated.

• Like 13

39 minutes ago, Nickelpenny said:

Good Morning and Happy Cinco de Mayo!!

Thanks for all the info, pics and smiles.  Thinking of those on the care list.

(3 more work weeks!!!!  🙂 )

But who’s counting? 😉 😂. And, yes, I counted too before mine 🙂 

• Like 11
  • Haha 4

Good sunny morning. Happy Cinco de Mayo, I am sure all my neighbors will be celebrating tonight.

I was just watching the BBC live coverage of His Majesty and the Prince and Princess of Wales doing a walk about outside Buckingham palace. So lovely to see them greet the people. 
Blessibgs and prayers to all on our lists.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Happy Cinco de Mayo. Every other year we usually celebrate today at our time share on Poipu Beach, Kauai. Due to our World Cruise booking next time will be Sept. 2024. On a South American military embassy mission where we brought supplies to every US Embassy in South America our transport plane experienced a fire onboard while flying. We extinguished the fire and made an emergency landing resulting in a four day stay at a hotel in Rio on Copacabana Beach for four days awaiting parts. Back before credit cards we all were running out of cash but survived.
We are in routine mode but that will change tomorrow as I take Lana Jayne (7yo) to a pool birthday party. Reminder bring ear plugs!😁

Thanks for getting the Daily started and May all of you have a great weekend. Bruce

image.jpeg.ef75a145cc1661dd559d4742edc48f18.jpegimage.jpeg.cb24ed22c05bcb8fae7b2ec04f05164c.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.4e64b800419822e0921104a66ec971e4.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.92d77cf6b0e31ab1de0b98dd2a564c34.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.7b9cc243609e4672ea016740b6f77acc.jpeg

Once again someone is spying on me.Thank goodness the chair is in the way!

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, kazu said:

Thanks Bruce - sorry I forgot you didn’t go - you had a lot of lovely special dinners.  I haven’t seen a David Burke one offered yet for our cruise - but who knows?

Thanks - you answered my question with your David Burke comments.  Much appreciated.

David Burke stated he only cruises twice per year so that was probably a pretty exclusive dinner. It was a great meal. Got to talk to him in the Neptune Lounge. So we lucked out on that cruise and it was a great cruise prompting us to book longer cruises versus 7 day or repetitive back to backs.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  Happy Cinco De Mayo Day to all who will celebrate it today.  I have a couple of favourite cartoonists - Gary Larson just slays me, and Lynn Johnston (For Better or For Worse) draws on real life for her strip.  No pun intended.  Space is interesting, but it's getting crowded up there with all the new discoveries!  We call them sub sandwiches up here, but whatever you call them, they can be delicious.

A bright sunny day again, but the temperatures have gone down a bit; we're expected to only reach a high of +19, but it beats the alternative.  An exciting day for our Calgary family, they're heading off to Japan to visit family for 2 weeks.  It'll be the 3 year old's first flight, a 10.5 hour experience; I hope they bring enough things to keep him busy!  LOL  We face timed with them last night before bed and both boys were really excited - I'm pretty sure it took a good while for them to get to sleep because of it.

I know the world is preparing to watch the coronation in the early hours of tomorrow, but I'm going to see the highlights on the news.  I'm okay with Charles being king, but can't reconcile Camilla being queen.  I still harbor resentment for the two of them and how Charles treated Diana.  I've probably opened a can of worms here, but that's how I feel. 

I'm definitely going to try today's menu suggestion one day soon, will pass on the drink, and am sure I'll never get to experience the wine of the day - yikes!!!  It's Friday night pizza night, but I think instead of pizza we'll order quesadillas to go and enjoy them on the deck tonight.  And wine.  And maybe a margarita or two.

No photo description available.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, especially @Vict0riann and @cruzn single for their surgeries.  Cheers to all with celebrations, especially @durangoscots for your last official day today.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from a partly cloudy and windy central Texas.  It is currently 75F with 93% humidity and a dew point of 73F.  The predicted high id 92F this afternoon.  There is a chance, 40%, of rain again today.  I might try to get my walk in early today, but it will probably still be fairly warm.  

Happy Cinco de Mayo!

May favorite cartoonists are Charles Schulz and Gary Larson, too.  We'll also celebrate space day and hoagie day even though in Texas we eat subs.

The Steven Spielberg quote is true, but I believe some part of us stays the same throughout out lives.

The meal sounds good, and I used to make salmon marinated in lemon juice, garlic and dill, then cook it with the marinade on top.  We'll pass on the drink and the wine, but with the wine only because of the price.

We've never been to a concert in Carnegie Hall, but have walked by it several times.

We have been to Rio de Janeiro twice.  The first time was in 1999 on Noordam III, and the second was on Ruby Princess in 2015.  Unfortunately, our first visit was in the pre-digital age, and I don't have pictures of our tour to Sugarloaf or the beaches readily available.  I'll look for my 2015 pictures in a few minutes. 

@cruzn single  Mary Kay, sending positive thoughts for a great outcome from today's surgery, and for quick healing.

@Vict0riann  Ann, you and Pat are in our thoughts as he undergoes surgery today.  I'm also sending very positive thoughts for a good outcome and speedy recovery.

@ski ww  Thank you for your pictures of the Carnival parades.  In 2015, the main parades ended the night before our arrival.  The children's parade was that day, but we missed it.

@Lady Hudson  Katherine, my guess is you moved to PA from northern New Jersey, since one source I saw says they are called hoagies in South Jersey.  I'm guessing that's the part near Philadelphia.

@mamaofami  Carol, good news about the clean bill of health from your oncologist.  Hope the cataract surgery in two weeks goes as well as the first one.

@ottahand7  Nancy, thank you for your pictures of Rio.

@dfish  Debbie, I found an different explanation of hoagies vs subs and the origin of the name hoagie when reading about them.  The other story attributes the name hoggie to Italian immigrants who worked in the Philadelphia Navy Yard which was also called Hog Island.  The name was applied to the workers and their sandwiches.  Another source says the hoagie uses a harder roll and is only served cold, while a sub can be toasted.  That's it for today's trivia.

@ger_77 Gerry, wishing your Calgary family a safe and calm (inside the plane, too) flight today.

339970656_3390953851153142_7205116126992111787_n.jpg.012942f9a36b619a4b3642df0989fe22.jpg

337401201_237191225334044_7793334382982910611_n.jpg.ace166a1b5386b03bae49d88081bac01.jpg

342830840_1395557194643360_4237709792360050226_n.jpg.0742239ebe97dd59e1e07e1105d01b16.jpg

342966745_105162319227126_6746986031309893863_n.jpg.f2a1120dea9baaf3e080af07fde2eadb.jpg

Lenda

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 14

2 hours ago, cruzn single said:

Imagine my post actually being on Page 1!  Could it mean that I am up way too early.  Had to get up to eat a piece of toast 4 hours before my surgery!  At least it is fairly early.  

As I am looking out the window, the clouds are a beautiful pink hue.  Guess that is "Red Sky in the morning."  Wonder what is in store weather wise?  Hope it continues on a cooler trend, especially east of here.  Spent yesterday on several Red Cross calls.  Road closures, bridges under water, etc.

Will make this short.  Prayers for all on the cares list.  Thanks to all who make this place so special!.

Mary Kay

Good luck and best wishes today Mary Kay for a successful operation and full recovery.

Graham xx 

• Like 11

1 hour ago, superoma said:

Yay on only three more weeks. Is your last official day May 26 or May 31? Just asking for the celebration list so I get it right.

My last official work day is May 26th and "retirement day" (on my submitted paperwork) is May 27th!!  You can't imagine how excited I am!!

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kazu said:

But who’s counting? 😉 😂. And, yes, I counted too before mine 🙂 

That is what everyone is telling me at work.  "How many days?"  I have an app on my phone that gives me the days left:  "21 days 16 hours 8 minutes 4 seconds"!!

• Like 10
  • Haha 8

2 minutes ago, Nickelpenny said:

That is what everyone is telling me at work.  "How many days?"  I have an app on my phone that gives me the days left:  "21 days 16 hours 8 minutes 4 seconds"!!

My daughter is using a similar app but she has 6 plus years to go for early retirement!

• Like 10
  • Haha 7

Good morning. I am early today as Monty decided he needed an early morning walk (he did and evidently was rather desperate). At least he told me about it. And it was chilly... only 29F when we went out. High today is forecast at 55. Maybe the cooler temps will reduce the pollen.... my allergies are really kicking up.

Have been to Rio a number of times and once was at Carnival. I saw some of the floats during the day but it poured while we were there - especially at night. While many people went to see the parade, I stayed on the ship (Princendam) where we had entertainers brought on. As I watched the rain fall, I was so glad I was inside and warm and dry. I was probably showing my age and that was a few years ago.

Off to work on what I am going to say tomorrow at the Annual Meeting for the Humane Society. Not much. I want to the meeting to be short and over. Another retiring board member and I are headed out for a celebratory lunch immediately after. I just hope we have a quorum..... would hate to see me lingering on. But there is a lot going on in town tomorrow. I remember in the past when we did not have a quorum and I was calling friends to see if I could round up a few more members. Not fun.

Susan

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1