The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday May 18th, 2023

richwmn

Today is International Museum Day, No Dirty Dishes Day, and Visit Your Relatives Day

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.--Robert A. Heinlein

Meal Suggestion for today - Flatbread Pizza
Drink of the Day - Key Lime Pie Martini
Wine of the Day - Long Shadows Sequel Syrah, Columbia Valley, Washington State
Destination of the Day - New York, New York

Today in History:
1927 Grauman's Chinese Theater opens in Hollywood, California

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Ketchikan, Alaska 0700-1300

Koningsdam

Ketchikan, Alaska 1100-1900

Nieuw Amsterdam

Prince Rupert, British Columbia 0800-1700

Nieuw Statendam

Alesund, Norway 0800-1800

Noordam

Skagway, Alaska 0700-2000

Oosterdam

Malaga, Spain 0900-1900

Rotterdam

Aarhus, Denmark 0800-1700

Volendam

At Sea destination Tracy Arm/Endicott Arm, Alaska eta 19 May

Westerdam

Yakutat 0800-1600

Zaandam

Halifax, Nova Scotia 0800-1600

Zuiderdam

At Sea destination Praia Da Vitoria, Azores eta 19 May

0518Alaska.thumb.png.3a314af6f42d5c3b86c539083d622b0f.png

0518Europe.thumb.png.354e521d39bd943165bfbf6daf10c153.png

• Like 23
  • Thanks 16

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Report.

A very cold morning here, it's -2°C (28°F).  Brrr.  Way too cold for May.  The roofs are white with frost.  I hope fruit trees are okay, this could be a killing frost for local apple blossoms.

A good collection of days.  I enjoy visiting museums.  No dirty dishes at the moment.  There are some relatives I will visit this weekend, some I will avoid.😉

I like the quote.

The meal sounds good.  I hope the drink and wine are good too.

I've never been to New York City.

Prayers for everyone.

Have a good day.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for today's daily fleet reports and Daily Rich.

It is 13°C and cloudy at the moment.

We always use an electric dishwasher.

Most of our relatives have died or live a distance away from us.

Today's quote sounds right.

Thin based flatbread pizza sounds good.

We stayed pre and post cruise in New York in January 2098 when we sailed down to the Caribbean and back on Liberty of the seas.

We visited a lot of the sights including ground zero where the world trade buildings had been.

Good healing thoughts to all who need them.

I hope everyone has a safe and wonderful day.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 28

Good morning.  Taking our Bailey to the Vet for her 6 week check-up since she has been taking Chemo pills.

Key Lime Pie Martini Cocktail:

Ingredients
1 part DeKuyper® Vanilla Schnapps Liqueur
2 parts Pinnacle® Citrus Vodka
1 part fresh Lime Juice
2 parts Cream
Whipped Cream
Lime Wheel

Instructions
Add ingredients to an ice-filled shaker. Shake and strain into a graham cracker-rimmed glass. Garnish with whipped cream and a lime wheel

Screenshot 2023-05-18 at 6.37.16 AM.png

• Like 22
  • Thanks 11

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily report. I really enjoy visiting museums in new places. Our dishwasher keeps dirty dishes at bay.  No relatives to visit in the immediate vicinity.  I like the funny quote.  The meal and drink suggestions sound very good.  We try to visit NYC at least once a year, fall being my favorite.  Prayers for all on our list.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events today! 🍺

• Like 28

Good morning everyone Thank you for the Daily and Fleet Report. 

I have a busy day seeing clients today. 

I am 10 days away from cruising on the Nieuw Amsterdam!

Thinking of everyone. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

• Like 28

Good morning, and thank you for the Daily and Fleet report. 

@puppycanducruise, stay warm, that is a cold morning! 

@summer slope, hoping for a good checkup for your Bailey!  And thank you so much for your wonderful drink recipes.

@portofrome, we (DD, DGS and I) will be sailing from there (Port of Rome!) exactly 3 weeks from today on Symphony of the Seas.  So looking forward to our pre-cruise visit to Italy, and our 7-day cruise!

@Mr. Boston, I have an Expedition cruise in September that ends in Boston!  Halifax, NS to Boston, History, Seafood and Nature Reserves. Just 7 days, but I think it will be fun to try an Expedition ship, with emphasis on science, biology and Nature - and the Seafood, Yum!

@grapau27, thank you for explaining the significance of the days, and your cheerful encouragement to all.  

@Denise T, you must be so excited counting down the days!

prayers to all in need, and cheers to those with good news.  Have a wonderful day!

P.S.  Very thankful that my post was not cloned today!!

Edited by ocean sounds
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 3

Good afternoon (here). Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily. 
I like museums, dislike dirty dishes, and am visiting almost relatives here in Germany. No living relatives other than my never met birth Mother in the US. Funny quote. I like the meal, maybe on the drink (I like most anything key lime), and yes to the wine. I’ve been to NY many times, but only sailed into the harbor once, on my LA to NY PC cruise. Pics are at home on my computer. 

it,s somewhat sunny and low 60’s here.  I’m continuing to rest so far today. I seem to have a head cold; repeat Covid test was thankfully negative. We’re going to dinner later with another friend. I got a voicemail from my PO; regular carrier was off and subs didn’t get the message about mail hold. Regular carrier is back. 

@summer slope I hope Bailey is ok. 

Prayers for the Care List and a toast to the Celebration List.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 29

Good morning friends!  It is 64F and cloudy.  The high will be 72 but drizzle or rain most of the day.  Getting off my treadmill this morning I heard a boom upstairs.  I thought that could be thunder but I'd better check on DH.  He was getting up off the floor by the bed.  He said he had leg cramps in both legs so tried to stand on his feet to ease the cramps, and ended up on the wooden floor.  I made him stay in bed but after 20 minutes said he was going downstairs to work out.  Now he just informed me we may need a new belt on it, and he is going to do some adjustment to it first to see if that helps.  It never ends does it?

Thank you Rich @richwmn for the Daily and Fleet Report today.  Museums are an important part of educating people on many varied subjects.  So far no dirty dishes in the sink because they are all in the dishwasher.  Sorry, no relatives near us to visit.  But we'll do that next week.  An interesting quote.  The pizza dish sounds good.  I don't drink martinis or red wine so will have to pass.  Thanks go out to Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for their upcoming reports.  The day in history fact is a nice one.  I enjoyed visiting that Theater one time.  

Prayers for all our Dailyites, their family members and pets who are on the Care list.  Hoping for good news from you all.  A salute to all on the Celebration list.  Hoping our friends on cruises are enjoying themselves and that Vanessa @JazzyV continues to enjoy her vacation. Plus a negative Covid test for her and BFF.  Thank you Eva @superoma for handling the lists for us all.  

The port of the day is New York City, NY.  Looks very cold there according to what I see on the news station I watch.  We had NY on June 23, 2021 and Feb. 8, 2022 so I'll post those links for you.  Hope you enjoy the photos too.

New York was on two of our itineraries in the past.  Once as an ending to a transatlantic (Caribbean Princess) and we went home immediately.  The second time in the middle of a Montreal to Tampa cruise.  That time I took a tour and DH stayed on the ship (Rotterdam).  I really do enjoy an unusual itinerary like that one.  

A few of the stops on my New York city tour from our Rotterdam cruise in 2018.

Sailing into New Yorkenhance

enhance

One World Trade Center, on the site of the Twin Towersenhance

enhance

The Survivor tree, the only tree on the site of the collapsed Twin Towers to make it through the devastation.enhance

Mural on wall of fire department across the street.enhance

New York Stock Exchangeenhance

The bull on Wall Streetenhance

The Statue of Liberty as we were sailing away from New York in the early eveningenhance

Hoping all of you have a SAFE and happy Thursday!

• Like 31
  • Thanks 4

Happy not quite Friday.  Thank you Rich, Eva, Debbie, Dixie, and Ann.  Museums are important.  At least for the moment I have no dirty dishes.  All my remaining relatives are some distance away; the nearest just South of Montreal, about a 9-hour drive.  I have not been to Graumans.  I've never had a cat but based on reports here, the quote rings true.  I have been to New York many times, both land and for cruises, but only once with HAL.  It was the Rotterdam in 2010, the start of my modern period with HAL (I sailed Rotterdam 5 in 1997 and a short cruise on Zaandam in 2002 (Skagway to Vancouver in conjunction with a Canadian based land trip)   The flatbread pizza sounds nice but I won't have it today.  My alternative is Chunky Jicama and Mango Salad, Rustic Home Made Lasagna, and Birthday cake (not mine).  The cake:

birthday.jpg

Roy

• Like 36

image.png.8a81d8a0fb819359109f98fb8db55d90.png

Good morning Dailyites. 

Dixie fingers crossed Bailey has a good checkup. Prayers lifted for all on our cares list.

I'm pretty much a clean nut. You won't see dirty dishes for very long in my sink.

image.png.618ff3c13574dabbe3242fa8e556ce2a.png

image.png.b72d651fd9216d3612a549c0315fdc0a.png

We have no relatives in Texas, but they will be here in July for Allen's 80th birthday. 

image.png.b535c271f402e9845fa7bf5469a9e264.png

Already on my last load of laundry and swiffered the floors. Need to get to the market soon and liquor store. I'm out of Cointreau for making Cosmo's tonight for Mahjongg girls. 

Wishing everyone a great day. Make it awesome! 

• Like 23
  • Haha 6

Copied from 2021 post. 

We arrived in NY very early, before sunrise.

Passing under the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge

640520211_001-11_24.19PassingundertheVerrazano-NarrowsBridgesailingintoNYConNCLBliss(phone).thumb.jpg.50b1094db3ee81d11b943167e86aaed6.jpg

The Statue of Liberty (it was hard to focus with the dark and the ship movement)

1947149907_009-11_24.19StatueofLiberty.thumb.jpg.221229333a076c29fbfd15d8263e3220.jpg

1996537247_017-11_24.19StatueofLiberty.thumb.jpg.37cf6a305569a2c0af8e546a41019076.jpg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 7

Thank you for today’s R & D, Rich!  It is a lovely morning! We had a wild group of T-storms yesterday evening. I just made it home from HIIT and got Bindi out, when the first one hit. The rain came down so heavily, I could not see out my windows. The thunder was so close, Bindi stuck very close to me. And then the first one was done. We had about an hour before the next one hit. It was less severe and lasted much longer. We needed the rain. 

Eva, thank you for keeping track of us! Just Zumba, Bindi walks, chores and a visit to a neighbor’s for me today. 

IMG_1284.jpeg.af1bebd1eb365ac88bae48b917ca022f.jpeg

IMG_1312.jpeg.aff214bd63875b23bbf519310f1a01b5.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support.  Cheers to all who are celebrating! Get well & stay well everyone!

Long Shadows 2018 Sequel Syrah, Columbia Valley, Washington State

I used the 2018 vintage info, since it was the most recently released, and hopefully easiest to find. I would love a taste. It would have to be really special for me to step even a couple of dollars outside my budget. Available from several online distributors with prices starting at $52.75 .

Winemaker Notes

An expressive wine showing wonderful varietal character. Dark and inky in color with layered aromas and flavors of wild blackberries, crushed rock, currants, charcuterie and oak spice. Sporting a rich mid-palate with appealing viscosity, the wine’s balanced acidity creates a vibrant impression that carries throughout a lovely, violet-imbued finish.

JD97
Jeb Dunnuck
Loads of black fruits, smoked game, liquid violets, and cracked pepper notes emerge from the 2018 Syrah Sequel, which has gorgeous Syrah wildness and gaminess, full-bodied richness, a pure, elegant, seamless texture, ultra-fine tannins, and a great finish. Count me impressed. You could safely put this up with the best Syrah coming out of Washington and California.
JS94
James Suckling
Blueberry, wild blackberry, violet, peppercorn and charcoal on the nose. It’s full-bodied with firm, integrated tannins. Rich, inky and fleshy on the palate. Concentrated. Long, flavorful finish.
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 4

A quick note on today's quote.

I was informed that Callie is overdue for her annual vet visit. I am the only one who can pick her up long enough to get her in a carrier to get to the office.

• Like 29
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Copied from 2021 post. 

We arrived in NY very early, before sunrise.

Passing under the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge

640520211_001-11_24.19PassingundertheVerrazano-NarrowsBridgesailingintoNYConNCLBliss(phone).thumb.jpg.50b1094db3ee81d11b943167e86aaed6.jpg

The Statue of Liberty (it was hard to focus with the dark and the ship movement)

1947149907_009-11_24.19StatueofLiberty.thumb.jpg.221229333a076c29fbfd15d8263e3220.jpg

1996537247_017-11_24.19StatueofLiberty.thumb.jpg.37cf6a305569a2c0af8e546a41019076.jpg

Thanks for the photos today Vanessa!  That bridge photo is beautiful and looks professional.

2 minutes ago, richwmn said:

A quick note on today's quote.

I was informed that Callie is overdue for her annual vet visit. I am the only one who can pick her up long enough to get her in a carrier to get to the office.

Good luck getting Callie to her vet visit and hope everything is perfect.  Special thoughts going out to @1ANGELCAT's Fluff and @summer slope's Bailey.🐈

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Good morning,  a cool morning here, in the 40s.    It will warm up later as we get more sunlight.  Our sunrises and sunsets are rather red from the smoke from the Alberta fires and Red Flag fire alerts are now in our state.   Windy and a lack of rain this month. 

Thanks for the Daily Reports Rich.    Always interesting to see where BHBs are each day.   I have relatives nearby and saw my older sister yesterday and will see all three tomorrow for my older DS birthday dinner.  I will pass on the high carb meal and the sweet drink but today's wine looks great.   Never saw it in a store so it must be low production.  I have been to NYC many times but never on a ship.   It got so crowded and pricy it wasn't that fun anymore.  Thanks for doing the Cares and Celebrations reports for us @superoma.   Prayers for all needing them, the fire victims in Alberta and the people of Ukraine. 

Our truck is fully loaded so I don't have to worry about will everything fit.   I have a lot of weed removal work before our Monday departure and printing off the Daily Racing Forms for the Black-Eyed Susan and Preakness race cards.   Living in MD for so long these 2 events were regulars on my schedule.  DH chose not to go to the Black-Eyed Susan races and sometimes I just went by myself.  We had our seats for long I knew a lot of people who sat around me.  Have a great day!  Nancy 

• Like 27

Good morning all,

Thank you Rich for the Daily and Fleet Report.  Hope you are adjusting to normal life.

Interesting collection of days.  I don’t think I will be visiting any International Museums today here in the Low Country of SC.  Nor will I be visiting any relative. Really don’t have many and those that I do have are not close by.  As for dirty dishes, ran the dishwasher last night and haven’t had breakfast yet, so all are clean right now.

The meal sounds good.,  Just may order a flatbread pizza. 

I usually don’t drink any thing other than wine, but maybe would try this one.

The wine price is a bit high.

As for the port, that is my hometown, the city of my birth.  I was born and raised there and it will always be in my blood.

The photos I have are really not of the tourist site so hard to post any.

However, the very first cruise we took was in 1986 on the MV Atlantic on the Home Lines from New York to Bermuda. We sailed into New York early in the morning and I have this picture to share.

Note: that at one point in my life i worked in World Trade Center and spent a major part of my working life in Downtown Manhattan.  The photo is very special to me. i will never forget.

God Bless,

Terri

IMG_3075.jpeg

• Like 35

Good morning! Visiting relatives is a couple days late. I got quite a few things done yesterday including a visit to Men’s Warehouse for some new shirts and pants. Then we went to Beals and got some more clothes for upcoming trip.

Today it will be medicine inventory and whether I have enough to get me through June.

Currently 68 degrees with a slight chance of some lite rain with a forecasted high of 81.

New York City is one of the best Sail In’s and Sail Away’s in cruising. Have done it twice.

New house cleaning lady and sister will be arriving in an hour. Do hope they work out as we miss our former cleaning lady who retired this spring. The new ones are formerly from Great Britain so maybe I should serve a spot of tea.

Thanks Rich for the Fleet Report and so much more.

Bruce

image.jpeg.4050b7f4499864740b77178bff623b41.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.696498af461d6cfcb578dd67e14441eb.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.c5576b4d14a57af85164d5c95ab29d40.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.87f76c2a1476122446a2457b0514fd2a.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.9b636cdad62e143bf4129ddaf742a561.jpeg

• Like 24
  • Haha 9

Thursday  May 18 care and celebration list

Crabby Patti caring for DF  who is no longer ambulatory

Jazzyv with knee and back pain but doing things

Cunnorl recovering from surgery 

Cruznterri’s dh taking it easy after mohs surgery

1angelcat with a very sick kitty

Heartgrove concerned for Sam

NextOne with new afib concerns

Wildfire and tornado victims

Smoke from the wildfires moving east

Too many shooting victims every day

Citizens of Ukraine and the Sudan 

From the rotation:

Summer Slope’s friend with a brain injury

Scrapnana getting chemotherapy

NextOne needing valve surgery 

Former president jimmy Carter in Home hospice care

Celebrations

Tana responding to medication and walking with walker

Surgery date for smitty34877 DH

Father David on a pilgrimage for 3 weeks (May 21)

Bennybear feeling better

Mamaofami’s dh pneumonia free

Mamaofami with good oncology report

Rafinmd fleshing out September and November cruises

RMLincoln good eye report,  surgery date for other eye august 1

Vict0rians dh home after surgery

Welcome back

Many Dailyites cruising or with upcoming cruises

3 days for Crazy For Cats(Zaandam 5/20 to 5/27)

Cruising 

Marshhawk (Nieuw Amsterdam to 5/21)

Jazzyv cruise, Germany vacation to 5/28

Cruising sister (Nieuw Statendam to 5/28)

SusieKIslandGirl (Nieuw Statendam to5/28)

• Like 19
  • Thanks 12

Good morning to All!!

Love museums!  I guess I should wash the dirty dishes in my sink!!  I would rather visit places I haven't been than visit relatives (never came back to the States in the 10 years I lived overseas - well, I did once - traveling through Houston on my way to Belize!!  🙂 )

I am a cat person.  I love their independence.  Martina has claimed me as her human after I got her from the humane society.  image.thumb.jpeg.8cd66231916df1d20020ace8255bc5ff.jpeg

We had a wonderful thunderstorm last night.  Broke our "no rain" streak.  The desert smells so good after it rains. 

One of my schools gave me (and 4 others) a "happy retirement/goodbye" party yesterday.  I was serenaded with a custom song and received a gift.  This school is my favorite of the 3 I manage.  It was nice.

Been to NYC many times over the years but never from a cruise.  In fact, I leave in 2 weeks for a road trip to Long Island to visit a friend and then will fly to Boston to catch the Zaandam!!

Thoughts for those on the care list.

Off to the gym!

Have a great Thursday!!

• Like 28

Good morning.It was only 40 earlier and sunny .  A beautiful  day is in store for us with a high of 60.

I love museums and the port of the day.I grew up in a suburb of the city and started taking trains and subways in as a teenager.The Village and Washington  Square park were favorite destinations. I have managed to see most museums and enjoyed a lot of theater  over the years. We had a good laugh the other night about our forays onto the city now  are for doctors and hospitals instead of the Allman  Brothers at the Beacon!

My DS send a picture of their puppy who is getting to be a very big dog He is a golden doodle.

12791.jpeg

• Like 29