Premium wifi worth it?

mljatsea

I see that the Premium wifi upgrade is on this sale for $6.99 a day. Is it worth it to upgrade? I'm thinking perhaps on our TA since so many sea days, but on the other hand how good is the wifi on a TA at all? Don't think I'll do it on the port intensive ten day prior. Experiences? Thanks in advance.

Our TA the premium internet was slow and staying connected was difficult from mid sailing on. Last sea day list internet mid morning and it didn’t come back until late at night.  Long lines at I Lounge, Guest services &  Concierge’s SS folk could check in for flights, their internet wasn’t working well either.

Just back from the Constellation TA + the following 2 sailings for 38 days total.  Had premium wifi and had no issues.  Streamed Youtube-TV most nights with no buffering.   Internet was out all day while in Turkey but later found out it was an issue with StarLink not being licensed there so the system had to be shutdown.

I can say this for sure, you probably won’t be able to log onto cruise critic or any other multilayered website if you’re using the Basic package. Pay particular attention to the “please note” section in the below Basic Wi-Fi description.

Basic Wi-Fi

With our Basic Wi-Fi, you can browse the web, send emails, and text family and friends via select messaging apps. It’s a great value option for staying connected while you’re on vacation, but please note that you won’t be able to email large files, share photos or videos on social media, use streaming apps, or make video calls.    

https://www.celebritycruises.com/things-to-do-onboard/onboard-packages/internet-and-phone-packages

On our recent Eclipse 33-day B3B transpacific cruise, I upgraded to the premier package and had no issues posting a bunch of photos to my Live From thread every day. I even posted speed tests every day as well. 😁

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I can say this for sure, you probably won’t be able to log onto cruise critic or any other multilayered website if you’re using the Basic package. Pay particular attention to the “please note” section in the below Basic Wi-Fi description.

Basic Wi-Fi

With our Basic Wi-Fi, you can browse the web, send emails, and text family and friends via select messaging apps. It’s a great value option for staying connected while you’re on vacation, but please note that you won’t be able to email large files, share photos or videos on social media, use streaming apps, or make video calls.    

https://www.celebritycruises.com/things-to-do-onboard/onboard-packages/internet-and-phone-packages

On our recent Eclipse 33-day B3B transpacific cruise, I upgraded to the premier package and had no issues posting a bunch of photos to my Live From thread every day. I even posted speed tests every day as well. 😁

I had no problem , the only time it was slow on cruise critic when I was check out Jim’s thread with his thousand of pictures 🤣

I could stream short videos on FB and YouTube , no problem sending pictures 

7 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

I had no problem , the only time it was slow on cruise critic when I was check out Jim’s thread with his thousand of pictures 🤣

How full was your ship, and when and where did your cruise go, as that has definitely not been our experience, except when there were less than 1100 passengers on the ship.

Update: Sorry, I just read your above post. Glad to hear Basic worked for you on the Reflection TA. Like I said, that’s not what we’ve been hearing on the various cruises we’ve been on.

Edited by Ken the cruiser

1 hour ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

On our Panama crossing I could log in to CC with basic, but couldn't see images nor could I reply. No issue when I used my streaming minutes.

1 minute ago, RTShaker said:

On our Panama crossing I could log in to CC with basic, but couldn't see images nor could I reply. No issue when I used my streaming minutes.

Did you ship have Starlink ? Reflection TA was in April and it had Starlink 

3 hours ago, mljatsea said:

I see that the Premium wifi upgrade is on this sale for $6.99 a day. Is it worth it to upgrade? I'm thinking perhaps on our TA since so many sea days, but on the other hand how good is the wifi on a TA at all? Don't think I'll do it on the port intensive ten day prior. Experiences? Thanks in advance.

The price is good.  However, on my cruise, I could send and receive photos without any problems.  However, when trying to connect via live video, forget it.  Very frustrating as I would have the audio but no video.  The key is what use would you be paying for....

20 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

We did the Reflection TA in April basic was at about 1 Mbps  download , everyday ,

premium is at about 4 Mbps 

I thought it was good enough me

i knew some people who working , and basic was fine for them 

I used my Elite minutes wifi while onboard and when  in port turned on my data and used internet from my cellphone provider. Worked out much cheaper was able to call and send text messages.  It did not work in my cabin but worked great on ship when in port. 

Just now, drakes2 said:

I used my Elite minutes wifi while onboard and when  in port turned on my data and used internet from my cellphone provider. Worked out much cheaper was able to call and send text messages.  It did not work in my cabin but worked great on ship when in port. 

Your Canada cell provider !😱

once we got to our first EU port we got a local SIM card for 10€  to use in port , 10 gigs of data and unlimited calling 

our basic Wifi was included in our Always included group price 

would I pay extra for Wi-Fi , the answer would be no

22 hours ago, mljatsea said:

BUY IT NOW, cancel for a full refund later if you decide to.  Today is the last day you buy it during this sales event and you can always cancel it for a for a full refund before the sailing

1 hour ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Your Canada cell provider !😱

once we got to our first EU port we got a local SIM card for 10€  to use in port , 10 gigs of data and unlimited calling 

our basic Wifi was included in our Always included group price 

would I pay extra for Wi-Fi , the answer would be no

Never thought to buy a local SIM card but then again, I was on tours at all ports and never stopped for shopping. Would the card work for all countries visited?  Celebrity's wifi is too expensive; I was on a Princess cruise in January and 7 days worth cost $42 and it was fast. 

13 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

Never thought to buy a local SIM card but then again, I was on tours at all ports and never stopped for shopping. Would the card work for all countries visited?  Celebrity's wifi is too expensive; I was on a Princess cruise in January and 7 days worth cost $42 and it was fast. 

It will work all EU countries, I pick one up in the Azores and it worked in all EU and UK ports 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, mljatsea said:

Personal preference. I stay disconnected so it wouldn't be worth it to me. You decide.