Bringing food onboard

Does Royal care about food you bring on board?   For example, I was thinking about dinner mints, and the cruise not doing that anymore.   My aunt has been gifting us these awesome mints from Canada that are even better than my memories of Fanny Farmer mints.  So, I was thinking of bringing my own darn mints.  We do often bring them along on vacations as a treat.  

That got me thinking.  Maybe some chocolate covered strawberries for an embarkation snack.   Maybe some candy for the teen girls.  

I wasn't thinking of food-food, more snacks and treats.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, HappyTexan44 said:

Does Royal care about food you bring on board?   For example, I was thinking about dinner mints, and the cruise not doing that anymore.   My aunt has been gifting us these awesome mints from Canada that are even better than my memories of Fanny Farmer mints.  So, I was thinking of bringing my own darn mints.  We do often bring them along on vacations as a treat.  

That got me thinking.  Maybe some chocolate covered strawberries for an embarkation snack.   Maybe some candy for the teen girls.  

No issues bringing food onto the ship. Renee brings a orchid with her. 

Its bringing off food in the ports they are sticky with and has to be sealed. 

• Like 1

I don't cruise with out a 3lb bag of peanut M&M's.  Breakfast of champions.  One year we even brought Easter basket fixings when the kids were little.  I did make sure everything was individually wrapped and in the bags since we were going out of San Juan and our bags would more than likely be exposed to heat!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I always forget to make better use of this allowance (bringing food on).  I love my salty snacks at night, especially after a few beverages.  The general store only has limited stock of things like Pringles, and at a steep mark up.  I should bring a carry on loaded with snacks!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, HappyTexan44 said:

You are fine bringing on factory sealed snacks and treats.  Even the Fanny Farmer mints should be fine even if you have opened the box.  Perishable foods are not allowed to be brought on per the prohibited list.  

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/prohibited-items-onboard-policy

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Fun Researcher said:

I always forget to make better use of this allowance (bringing food on).  I love my salty snacks at night, especially after a few beverages.  The general store only has limited stock of things like Pringles, and at a steep mark up.  I should bring a carry on loaded with snacks!

We always bring on a can of cashews to enjoy with a drink on the balcony.  Now that there are not anymore bags of chips available at Park Cafe and Cafe at Two70, we need to add a can of Pringles too.  

• Like 1

You should have seen me hauling Tim Tams and Australia’s Kettle chips (the flavors are amazing) recently on the Ovation 😂. I restocked on the 3 legs out of Sydney. I do like to bring salty snacks, which I find are lacking on the ships.

Edited by crzndeb
  • Like 2

Bucky always brings on his Dove Dark Chocolates.  Eats most of them, but is generous with handing them out to crew as well. 

On December cruises, I bring fruit flavored candy canes which I hang from a little Christmas sock on a magnet hook on the door.  The cabin attendants and various crew members that pass by love snacking on them.  😉 

• Like 3

You can’t bring on (or off) fresh fruit or vegetables.   You should be fine with packaged food or candy (like a mint).  

Do not try to take a banana or

apple off the ship the last morning.  You’ll be depositing it in a big pile with others or worse you may be paying a big fine if you forget to do that.  

5 hours ago, JamesEM said:

If you are taking food on board you should place them in your carry on, otherwise you could wind up in the naughty room 

Have some  hard candy and some licorice in my checked luggage every cruise (cruising for many years) and never any issue.   

Never heard it had to be in a carry on. 

44 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Have some  hard candy and some licorice in my checked luggage every cruise (cruising for many years) and never any issue.   

Never heard it had to be in a carry on. 

It doesn't.  We have brought protein bars for years in our checked luggage sealed. 

• Like 1

Been vegan 15 years, cruising a lot of that.  In the early years we had to bring on more survival snacks - now we just bring on the drink snacks we like to have in the cabin (nuts, chips/salsa) that can also work as survival snacks if needed.  No issue bringing just about everything, even items picked up last minute from a bakery or other.  Did have to go to the naughty room once though for the individual packaged chocolate soy milk I had brought on for my oldest.  I'm not sure they ever believed me that was the only "contraband" in the bag - because they felt silly for flagging it for that so they searched all the rest of the bag thoroughly.  Was my only visit to the naughty room but wow what fun to see what others were attempting to bring on!

• Like 1

Some might think bringing food on a cruise ship is like bringing coal to Newcastle 😆, but I have done it.  I brought snack type food to take on excursions and then some drinks for when Windjammer is closed and I want a beverage.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ashland said:

We've never had trouble bringing food onboard. Holy Donuts...yummy !!

We were behind a guy bringing his left over boxed pizza once...no one stopped him.

Portland ME...though we prefer "Two Fat Cats" for blueberry pie.  😋

One port day there, Bucky could not eat the full piece of pie he bought there.... (they are huge) so he decided to bring it back to the ship to eat later. 

Security caught him and told him he could not bring it on.....so he simply sat in one of the plastic chairs just outside the gangplank, (I think they were for the crew) and ate the rest of it in front of them.  You should have seen them salivating over that scene.  I think they were hoping to score it for themselves.  😄 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, island lady said:

Portland ME...though we prefer "Two Fat Cats" for blueberry pie.  😋

One port day there, Bucky could not eat the full piece of pie he bought there.... (they are huge) so he decided to bring it back to the ship to eat later. 

Security caught him and told him he could not bring it on.....so he simply sat in one of the plastic chairs just outside the gangplank, (I think they were for the crew) and ate the rest of it in front of them.  You should have seen them salivating over that scene.  I think they were hoping to score it for themselves.  😄 

Oh my goodness...Now that was ridiculous not letting him bring it onboard. Was it in a backpack or purse? That's where we put our goodies to bring back on the ship.

21 hours ago, moposh said:

Some might think bringing food on a cruise ship is like bringing coal to Newcastle 😆, but I have done it.  I brought snack type food to take on excursions and then some drinks for when Windjammer is closed and I want a beverage.

Yes, that is why I mentioned what I was thinking of bringing onboard.  That way people wouldn't just remind me that the food was unlimited.  

I'd also been reminded of the time I was randomly flagged for extra Customs search coming home on an international flight and the person at the front of the line had a couple of dozen eggs break in their luggage.  

• Like 1